HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 07:22 PM
od71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I made no mention of Kane whatsoever. I have no idea what happened with him, be it skill, attitude, whatever. He's a very skilled player, already a success in the NHL, one of the fastest player in the world, good size, I'm pretty sure he could compete in any league if he wanted to.
Next time if Kane wants to go to vacation he should choose other place. If he thinks that the KHL is a place like this one:

he is wrong.

Last edited by od71: 11-26-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Backstroms been the best player on the Caps since 08-09 so it's not surprising. Most underrated player in the league IMO. Many people think he just gets all his points off Ovechkin, which is completely false.
lol how do you explain his horrible 2010-11 performance then? Ovy outclassed him in every way, especially in the playoffs where backstrom looked liked he couldn't give a **** on the ice. 2 points in 9 games where it counts the most is the caps best player? Please.

Ovy easily beats Backstrom in 09-10, easily again in 10-11, last year is your only argument.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
mdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Good point. The EPL would get 43m in total attendance assuming 82 games and 30 teams.
Attendance comparisons are a bit silly. I'd like to see what would happen if teams like Toronto or New York had 75,000 seat stadiums.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Take 3 top NHL players of the last season. About Malkin we have already talked. Giroux, yes, can be good in the K, he can adjust, I see it. But I doubt about Stamkos. He is not as complete player as Giroux. I wish I'm wrong about Stamkos. He is a NHL star.
I agree with your general point. I don't get why many posters are so quick to dismiss anything outside of the NHL. I also find the whole "Well... they were on vacation" doublestandard when it comes to a proven NHL player failing to impress in Europe/Russia pretty weak. With that being said though I am pretty confident Stamkos is a guy who at this point in his career would be very productive in any league you could stick him in. Not sure how you would define Stamkos 'not being good' ('not good' as in only finishing 2nd in KHL goal scoring, 'not good' as in Evander Kane, or somewhere in between?) but I think your arguement would be better served without that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Good point. The EPL would get 43m in total attendance assuming 82 games and 30 teams.
In the unlikely scenerio that each team (to say nothing of the 10 additional teams), with twice as many home games, would maintain the same average attendance... Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
lol how do you explain his horrible 2010-11 performance then? Ovy outclassed him in every way, especially in the playoffs where backstrom looked liked he couldn't give a **** on the ice. 2 points in 9 games where it counts the most is the caps best player? Please.
Not that it takes away from your point but wasn't Backstrom broken the latter half of the 2010-11 season?

Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 11-24-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 08:04 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
In the unlikely scenerio that each team (to say nothing of the 10 additional teams), with twice as many home games, would maintain the same everage attendance... Sure.
I know, but I'd rather use the average attendance figure than to pull some number out of the hat.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:07 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobbs View Post
Attendance comparisons are a bit silly. I'd like to see what would happen if teams like Toronto or New York had 75,000 seat stadiums.
Not sure, but I think it's not unreasonable to question whether they would sell out at the prices they charge.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Just like the attendance for European soccer embarrass that of the National Hockey Leagues's attendance levels. Soccer is not only played in gargantuan stadiums but alongside Cricket, is the most popular spot in the entire world.

So.. whats your point?
Cricket is not the most popular sport in the world. Commonwealth= not the world. Basketball and volleyball have far more players in their sports and especially basketball get far bigger viewers than cricket globally.

Last edited by Jussi: 11-24-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post

Not that it takes away from your point but wasn't Backstrom broken the latter half of the 2010-11 season?
Then he should've sat out, at that point he's hurting his team more then helping, the 3rd/4th liners were much more effective then Backstrom in the 2011 playoffs.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:34 PM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Cricket is not the most popular sport in the world. Commonwealth= not the world.
Wasn't going to touch this because it is way off topic but ya... I get that it is wildely popular in one of the most populated regions on earth so based on that it has loads of fans, but is a sport that is still limited to parts of the commonwealth really all that 'global'. I think the fact Canada, with next to no Cricket infrastruture, has become a routine qualifier for the World Cup, shows how limited the depth and global appeal of the sport is. To say that Cricket 'is along side' soccer in global popularity seems to be a huge stretch to say the least.

What was this thread about again?

Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 11-24-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 09:16 PM
maybam

Quote:
Then he should've sat out, at that point he's hurting his team more then helping, the 3rd/4th liners were much more effective then Backstrom in the 2011 playoffs.
Backstrom almost never sits because of injury. That's the coaches job to sit the player out if he isn't effective. The caps coaching staff though don't seem to care.

I have watched nearly every game in both Backstrom and Ovechkin's career. Backstrom has been the better layer the past two years.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:06 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
This is coming from a guy who's clearly a die hard Caps fan.
Just changed my username like 2 days ago but I'll take it

Old
11-24-2012, 11:10 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybam View Post
Backstrom almost never sits because of injury. That's the coaches job to sit the player out if he isn't effective. The caps coaching staff though don't seem to care.

I have watched nearly every game in both Backstrom and Ovechkin's career. Backstrom has been the better layer the past two years.
Exactly. And he's not all offense out there. He's one of the smartest players in the league, is great defensively, and plays PK.

It's easy to look at stats and say he's not as good as Ovechkin, but Backstrom is the best player on the team. And he has been for 3 or 4 years.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:35 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Re-reading the OP.
Quote:
Ovechkin: 13GP 6G 8A 14PTS (On 1 of the best teams in the league)
Malkin: 13GP 5G 12A 17PTS (On a bubble Team)
10 games later, Malkin still isn't the best player on his line "on a bubble team". Haters gonna hate.

Quote:
Exactly. And he's not all offense out there. He's one of the smartest players in the league, is great defensively, and plays PK.
It's easy to look at stats and say he's not as good as Ovechkin, but Backstrom is the best player on the team. And he has been for 3 or 4 years.
Damn those idiots who gave him Hart, Pearson and Lindsay over the years Backstrom was "better". I guess you're trying to say that Backstrom was the best player in the world then?

Old
11-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Sky04

Quote:

Again, did you even watch Backstrom play 2010-11? Ovy was carrying the offense while nearly his entire team dropped off. Add in the Ovechkins 10 points in 9 games compared to Backstroms 2 and it's not even close. Watching the lightning series that year, Ovy was the only cap to even bother showing up.

09-10? Ovechkin again easily, Backstrom doesn't touch 100 points w/o Ovechkin, he was flat out dominant that season.

Last year was the only year Backstrom ever took the lead over Ovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post

Damn those idiots who gave him Hart, Pearson and Lindsay over the years Backstrom was "better". I guess you're trying to say that Backstrom was the best player in the world then?
This, saying he was better then Ovy is saying Backstrom was a top-3 player in the game, which is completely false.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:05 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:

I'm going to say last year for sure Backstrom was better, but not for 3 years and definatley not four. Two years ago was Backstrom's slump year and some nights he looked invisible or really off. Ovy didn't look terrific either that year.I'm also a Caps fan and watched all but a few games.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:49 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Nope, according to Red Bull the reason they don't win because the World Championship is simply a vacation for the players who missed the playoffs.

Just like the attendance for European soccer embarrass that of the National Hockey Leagues's attendance levels. Soccer is not only played in gargantuan stadiums but alongside Cricket, is the most popular spot in the entire world.

So.. whats your point?
Someone wanted to try and say the khl will be able to spend the kind of money they do because european soccer clubs can do it.

Well, these soccer clubs who do apend these big bucks likely have a lot more revenue coming in then the KHL teams do. I broight up attendance because KHL attendance levels seem to be more along AHL levels.

Not sure how they can keep spending the way the top euro clubs do who draw 50k + to their stadiums.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:07 AM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Someone wanted to try and say the khl will be able to spend the kind of money they do because european soccer clubs can do it.

Well, these soccer clubs who do apend these big bucks likely have a lot more revenue coming in then the KHL teams do. I broight up attendance because KHL attendance levels seem to be more along AHL levels.

Not sure how they can keep spending the way the top euro clubs do who draw 50k + to their stadiums.
No doubt KHL teams have no where near the revenue of big European soccer clubs but for as much as some KHL teams might spend they are also no where near the spending of these soccer clubs. There wouldn't be any KHL clubs spending 100+ million per year in transfer fees raiding the Czech, Slovak, Finnish, Swedish, etc leagues for talent or having an annual payroll approaching or even well over $100 million a year.

Is having expenses of $200 million/year when you are generating 'only' $150 million/year in revenue much different than expenses of $40 million/year when generating $10 million/year? Actually there probably are differences but at the end of the day both clubs have a shortfall of tens of millions of dollars that someone eventually needs to cover.

The KHL could be a giant smouldering hole in the ground a decade from now, but if it is I doubt it would be the only league.

What was this thread about again.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Nacho
Special

Ovy hasnt really been that good in KHL period...

Old
11-25-2012, 10:39 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Again, did you even watch Backstrom play 2010-11? Ovy was carrying the offense while nearly his entire team dropped off. Add in the Ovechkins 10 points in 9 games compared to Backstroms 2 and it's not even close. Watching the lightning series that year, Ovy was the only cap to even bother showing up.

09-10? Ovechkin again easily, Backstrom doesn't touch 100 points w/o Ovechkin, he was flat out dominant that season.

Last year was the only year Backstrom ever took the lead over Ovy.

This, saying he was better then Ovy is saying Backstrom was a top-3 player in the game, which is completely false.
Again you guys are solely looking at point totals. Yes, Ovechkin is definitely the more electrifying/exciting player. But Backstrom controls the game. Ovechkin needs someone to get him the puck to be successful (at least he has the last few years, which is what I think really has cost his scoring). Whereas Backstrom doesn't need to play with someone that can pass the puck to him. Almost every single shift you see Backstrom carry the puck into the offensive zone and create offense for himself/teammates. I think he controls m the game about 90% of the time and I prefer his playing style to Ovechkin's.

It's like the old Crosby/Ovechkin debate, before Crosby started scoring alot of goals too (not saying Backstroms as good as Crosby but Backstrom had a similar playing style to the 05-09 Crosby IMO)

Old
11-25-2012, 01:47 PM
um

Quote:
Backstroms been the best player on the Caps since 08-09 so it's not surprising. Most underrated player in the league IMO. Many people think he just gets all his points off Ovechkin, which is completely false.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:30 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
No. The one year Backstrom may have a case for is last year. He had the better PPG, but he missed a tonne of games (half the season), and Ovechkin did end up top 5 in goals. So it's a close debate, even for that one year.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Ovy hasnt really been that good in KHL period...
You mean before he was in the NHL (RSL)? He was barely getting 10 mins of ice time back then. But now he's getting plenty of ice time, so there's not much excuse.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Ovechkin has 9 points in 6 games since this thread was created.

Jinx thread successful!

Old
11-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Ovechkin has 9 points in 6 games since this thread was created.

Jinx thread successful!
Since Backstrom is back. He's clearly feeding off Backstrom. Which is ironic because people used to say that Backstrom was feeding off of him.

Last edited by Riddum: 11-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 01:57 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Since Backstrom is back. He's clearly feeding off Backstrom. Which is ironic because people used to say that Backstrom was feeding off of him.
Clearly it can't be they're both feeding off each other.

The only thing that's clear here is that you don't know who other players you've compared Ovi as being inferior to (i.e. Malkin, Radulov and Kovalchuk) have played on the same line with right from the get-go.

Closed Thread