HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Watch Bronson asap. No regrets will be had this day.
Speaking of another interesting movie to discuss sometime.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:26 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Have any of you ever delayed watching a film because you know it might take a slight toll on you emotionally? I'm having this dilemma with Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon.
White Ribbon is a good movie, but it's not something I would have ever considered to be emotionally taxing. Rather, Haneke's new one seems to fit that category a lot more so. Even Funny Games would be a tougher watch, albeit for different reasons.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:56 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Quote:
I watched Lawless recently. Plot-wise, it was very thin, full of inconsistencies, and a bit all over the place without any central direction. But man, Tom Hardy is a special actor. There's a Brando-like quality to him, magnetic and full of intensity. He's bound to win an Oscar one day.

I may have been one of the few people who went to see The Hunger Games not because it was based on a popular series of novels (have yet to read them) or for the action, but for Jennifer Lawrence. She's just simply incredible. Naturally gifted, young, and beautiful. I'd really like to see her work alongside some of the top directors. Maybe David Fincher.
Yeah Hardy is incredible. One of my favorite actors. As for the Hunger Games, Lawrence will disappoint for the first 30 minutes if you aren't familiar with the book's character. She really shows her chops when the Games begin.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:14 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
As for the Hunger Games, Lawrence will disappoint for the first 30 minutes if you aren't familiar with the book's character. She really shows her chops when the Games begin.
There was a great moment early on the film when her character pleads to take the place of the little sister. You can sense the mix of courage and fear in her trembling voice.

I think she seriously outshone everyone else in that movie because her performance seemed so grounded in reality. Talent-wise, the actors who played Gale and Peeta aren't even in the same stratosphere as Jennifer Lawrence. Wes Bentley and the overrated Elizabeth Banks seemed a bit too gimicky (the latter more so). Donald Sutherland was kinda sleep-walking his way through that role. But Lenny Kravitz was surprisingly likeable enough.

So, action star? Check. Dramatic roles with indie cred? Check. I wonder if she has any comedic chops.

Last edited by SB164: 11-24-2012 at 08:21 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
There was a great moment early on the film when her character pleads to take the place of the little sister. You can sense the mix of courage and fear in her trembling voice.

I think she seriously outshone everyone else in that movie because her performance seemed so grounded in reality. Talent-wise, the actors who played Gale and Peeta aren't even in the same stratosphere as Jennifer Lawrence. Wes Bentley and the overrated Elizabeth Banks seemed a bit too gimicky (the latter more so). Donald Sutherland was kinda sleep-walking his way through that role. But Lenny Kravitz was surprisingly likeable enough.

So, action star? Check. Dramatic roles with indie cred? Check. I wonder if she has any comedic chops.
She's pretty funny at times in Silver Linings Playbook. To make another comparison between her and Meryl Streep, I think she could end up like Meryl in both dramatic and comedic roles. Meryl Streep isn't known for being funny, but she knows how to hit a comedic moment.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:55 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Ok a couple of things.

Lawrence in Hunger Games= by far the best thing about the movie. Absolutely amazing. The first thirty minutes, director error. It's almost like director tried to down play how cold the character actually is. Katniss is the ultimate survivor, and will do anything to survive. Including screwing with peeta.

Bale: deserved the Oscar in best supporting actor. He was amazing at that role, and I thought that Hawkes was nominated for best actor in a lead role. Correct me I I'm wrong.

I think Christian bale is definitely underrated as Ana actor. Alot of the roles he has taken(equilibrium, American psycho, the machinist, the fighter) he has embraced the role and made it believable. Obviously some of his roles are better then others. I personally think he makes a great Batman, but I've heard that alot of people don't like him.

On Anthony Hopkins. He's a great actor. Absolutely amazing...but there's absolutely no way that Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs can be considered a lead role. He's in the movie for like forty five minutes. Supporting yes. Lead...no.

Mia W. sorry, I can't spell her last name and I won't embarrass myself by trying. Absolutely love her. One of those girls that's good in everything.

There was alot wrong with Lawless, but the acting wasn't part of it. Tom Hardy and Guy Pearce were incredible. Jessica Chastain was pretty awesome as well.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:59 PM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
The Avengers has a great shot at being nominated for Best Picture. In fact, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't.

Right now, Argo, The Master, and Les Miserables are locks.

Also, I'm sure Helen Hunt and / or John Hawkes will be nominated for The Sessions. The Oscars eat that type of subject material up.

I'd love to see Beasts of the Southern Wild get a nomination for best original score.
If the Avengers gets a nomination, then TDKR is winning the Oscar for the next 10 years

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:55 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

^ My favorite part was that he would be very surprised if it doesn't get nominated. It doesn't deserve it. Marvel hasn't made a movie thus far that even belongs in the same sentence as Best Picture.

Quote:

Right I forgot about that moment. Other than that then people have called her bland in that 30 or so minutes but that's how she was supposed to be.

EDIT: Well not bland...but just stunned and in shock but not trying to show just how scared she is and displaying weakness.

Last edited by DuckJet: 11-24-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 10:34 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I thought that Hawkes was nominated for best actor in a lead role. Correct me I I'm wrong.
Hawkes was definitely in the supporting actor category that year. i agree with you; I think Bale is a good actor, I just don't think he was a good actor for the movie that he happened to win an Academy Award for.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:02 PM
kihei

Daniel Day Lewis. How good is he in Lincoln ? It seems sometimes all he has to do is show up and people rave about him. He almost seems beyond scrutiny. I think he gives a fine performance in Lincoln, but I'm not sure that it is one of the five best of the year. Why is that a great performance, rather than just a good performance?

Old
11-24-2012, 11:55 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Daniel Day Lewis. How good is he in Lincoln ? It seems sometimes all he has to do is show up and people rave about him. He almost seems beyond scrutiny. I think he gives a fine performance in Lincoln, but I'm not sure that it is one of the five best of the year. Why is that a great performance, rather than just a good performance?
There's quite a few films I have to watch over the holiday season, namely Lincoln and The Master. From all the reviews that I've read though, Joaquin Phoenix's performance just sounds so volatile, so unique, and most importantly, unpredictable (James Dean comes to mind when thinking of an actor who was utterly unpredictable on-screen. Ironically, River Phoenix was once compared to Dean.)

In short, it seems as though Phoenix poured his absolute heart and guts out for that film, making himself vulnerable in the process. It seems as though he made that role entirely his and only his (much like Daniel-Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood actually). Is that an accurate enough judgement of Joaquin Phoenix's performance?

Whereas on the other hand (and I may be criticized for saying this) an actor such as Liam Neeson could've likely portrayed Abraham Lincoln as well as Daniel-Day Lewis and we'd all politely give him a round of applause because of his fine performance of a larger-than-life figure.

Just to note though, I may be completely off-base here because I've yet to see either film and I'm only speculating.

Last edited by SB164: 11-25-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old
11-25-2012, 12:15 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Quote:
There's quite a few films I have to watch over the holiday season, namely Lincoln and The Master. From all the reviews that I've read though, Joaquin Phoenix's performance just sounds so volatile, so unique, and most importantly, unpredictable (James Dean comes to mind when thinking of an actor who was utterly unpredictable on-screen. Ironically, River Phoenix was once compared to Dean.)

In short, it seems as though Phoenix poured his absolute heart and guts out for that film, making himself vulnerable in the process. It seems as though he made that role entirely his and only his (much like Daniel-Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood actually). Is that an accurate enough judgement of Joaquin Phoenix's performance?

Whereas on the other hand (and I may be criticized for saying this) an actor such as Liam Neeson could've likely portrayed Abraham Lincoln as well as Daniel-Day Lewis and we'd all politely give him a round of applause because of his fine performance of a larger-than-life figure.

Just to note though, I may be completely off-base here because I've yet to see either film and I'm only speculating.
It is pretty accurate. I don't really know how to approach Lincoln, it still confuses me. DDL was awesome in it, no doubt. He can't be any worse than "awesome", ever. He had the voice (or so most people think? I guess no one really knows exactly how he sounded), the mannerisms, the personality that has been recorded in history text books down pat. But I think the effort to recreate the character took away from the content of the film. It was more about every subtle personality trait getting presented, than the story/movie. I guess the most direct way of saying it is that it was trying to be as accurate as possible instead of being as entertaining/ honest as possible. This is in contrast to PTA drawing from Oil! and some of John Huston's docs for his last two films. I haven't read Oil!, so I don't know exactly how much is organic and how much is borrowed, but I am assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that PTA had a very broad idea of the character and just let the pros do their thing. I know from interviews that Freddie Quell is almost entirely born out of JP's interpretation of what he and PTA discussed. The bad posture was all on him, I think the speech/mouth thing was from JP organically, too. Because of the freedom, it makes it seem a bit more true to life. Freddie Quell could be one effed up WW2 vet suffering from PTSD, alcoholism, as well as other various illnesses (mental and other wise). This is where I prefer JP over DDL. I could've read Spielberg's story in a text book. PTA made a unique story based on a few happenings/ people/ events, and let it grow from there. I think the acting reflects that. And that's no knock on Daniel Day Lewis, because he deserves to all the praise he gets.

edit: Not Spielberg's "story" (I know he didn't write the screenplay), his final product.

Last edited by P U L L H A R D: 11-25-2012 at 12:37 AM.
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:44 AM
kihei

Quote:

Damn, only seconds ago, I did a James Dean comparison on another thread. Don't get those every day.

I agree with your point about Neeson. He could have been just as good. And Phoenix's performance is everything that you say it is, and I still would only put Jean Louis Trintignant ahead of him for the year (do see Amour if you get the chance; I'd be very curious to see what you made of it--it's a very different approach to good acting).

Still, I can't think of any other actor who has as intimidating a rep as Lewis, though, unless it is the young Brando. He is truly a great actor. But if he wins this year, it is a failure of the imagination of the Academy voters.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:09 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Rise of the Guardians COULD challenge Wreck-It Ralph

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:18 AM
RECsGuy*

Life Of Pi is the year's best film.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:23 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Hawkes was definitely in the supporting actor category that year. i agree with you; I think Bale is a good actor, I just don't think he was a good actor for the movie that he happened to win an Academy Award for.
My mistake.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Lincoln was pretty incredible. I was really impressed by both Daniel Day Lewis, but I think Sally Field & David Straithairn were absolutely wonderful.

Gobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
I really do agree with you. I think if it was anybody else giving the exact same performance, they would get credit for a fine performance, but not lauded as the favorite to win like Day-Lewis is. He's going to end up walking up to pick up his 3rd Oscar, while guys like Joaquin Phoenix and Bradley Cooper sit down and politely applaud, and that is frustrating to me.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:26 PM
SB164

kihei, I'll definitely try to watch Amour when it opens in Montreal, especially since you've ranked it as your top film of 2012. I believe it'll be in theatres by January (along with A Royal Affair).

Last edited by SB164: 11-25-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Life Of Pi is the year's best film.
I have to disagree. To me I got a real smug feel from the whole thing. Like the whole intention was to create a film that would go down in history as a masterpiece, that it already was and all it took was me accepting it. I felt the same thing out of Cloud Atlas but that movie sucked for so many other reasons. It was a good film but I don't think it was the best of the year.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I have to disagree. To me I got a real smug feel from the whole thing. Like the whole intention was to create a film that would go down in history as a masterpiece, that it already was and all it took was me accepting it. I felt the same thing out of Cloud Atlas but that movie sucked for so many other reasons. It was a good film but I don't think it was the best of the year.
I'm not sure if I'll see it or not. I despise Ang Lee as a director.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:43 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I'm not sure if I'll see it or not. I despise Ang Lee as a director.
Despise?

The Wedding Banquet
Eat, Drink, Man, Woman
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Brokeback Mountain
Life of Pi

That seems like a pretty good resume to me. Why do you dislike him so greatly? Just curious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note on Life of Pi: How come Irrfan Khan isn't getting any buzz anywhere for a supporting actor's nomination? Near the end, he has the most important speech in the film and he absolutely nails it.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Stu Macher

I do think Khan deserves a nomination. I was a bit skeptical early in the film, but when he comes back at the end, he had me.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Jevo

I just saw Life of Pi. If it doesn't take home a few technical awards I will be disappointed, because it was visually stunning and the CGI was spot on. I am not sure if they ever used a real tiger, but if they did, I sure as hell had a hard time telling the difference most of the time. It will probably be nominated for best picture, but I don't think it should win, the story wasn't good enough for that. At least it didn't manage to engage me in a way I want a best picture to.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Was just sitting here watching 60 minutes and they showed a commercial for Hitchcock

Looks good

Anthony Hopkins

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote