HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Brenden Kichton (2011, 127th, Islanders; 2013, 190th, Winnipeg)

Old
07-17-2011, 01:03 PM
ocarina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
As mentioned above, Dan Boyle is a strong upside comparison; one that I've used a few times over the course of the season.

Hopefully, he can continue to develop and will get somewhere near that level.
That seems quite a bit much for an overager taken in the 5th round. I know Boyle was undrafted, but still.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Small, but doesn't shy away from physical play. Could be a rough gem.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Saying you hope a kid will be a top 10 offensive defenseman in the big show is a stretch, but the style comparison is intriguing. Hopefully he can develop into a solid NHLer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
That seems quite a bit much for an overager taken in the 5th round. I know Boyle was undrafted, but still.
"Strong upside comparison"

"Hopefully he can get somewhere near that level"

These statements aren't by any means claiming that he will be a top-10 offensive defenseman, nor that he is going to be the next Dan Boyle. Upside comparison is his max ceiling - I never stated that he was likely to reach that level, and "hoping he can get somewhere near that level" is by no means my way of saying he's a sure bet to get there.

That being said, Kichton tied for the WHL lead in points among defensemen, and was a +55. He's also only turning 19, and is still another full year away from being an overager. His style compares to Dan Boyle, a guy who was also coincidentally a late bloomer. This was my only point in my last post, if you don't agree with it that's fine - but please do not blow my comments out of proportion.

Why don't you guys take a stab and tell me who you would compare him to?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:11 PM
nikyc

bump

Kichton is continously showing that he belongs in the NHL. Great stats again this year.

nikyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:28 PM
SmellOfVictory

Why isn't he in the AHL?

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:54 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Why isn't he in the AHL?
too many dmen in bridgeport and he isnt signed to a deal yet bc of the lockout. the kid will be there whenever the lockout is done or there is another injury, imo

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:14 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
too many dmen in bridgeport and he isnt signed to a deal yet bc of the lockout. the kid will be there whenever the lockout is done or there is another injury, imo
With the loss of CDH, I think Kichton will be signed asap the moment the lockout is over. Whenever the hell that is.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:30 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
IIRC there's nothing stopping him from signing an AHL contract. It just wouldn't be an NHL ELC.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Kichton is a talented player but IMO needs to full length of development. Let him play out his junior career and a few in the AHL. You can't rush him, but he is talented.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:52 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Kichton is a talented player but IMO needs to full length of development. Let him play out his junior career and a few in the AHL. You can't rush him, but he is talented.
This year would have been good for him to start his pro career. Maybe 2-4 years in the AHL depending on his development. This year is actually loss of a year for his development IMO. He has been dominating juniors offensively the past three years and may y getting away with his defensive play because of his experience and the younger guys lack of experience . He has the offensive game, now it's time for him to go to Bridgport to try and learn how to play pro defense and see if he will become a legit NHL defenseman. Just my 2 cents

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Mavericknyc1980

The kid will be signed with the Islanders now that, CDH is out for the year once the lock out is over.

Mavericknyc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Sorry, but I never was a fan of Kichton. He's got good hockey sense, IQ, and shot, but his skating is not nearly as good as it should be for an OFD. That is what is going to hold him back from the pros.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Sorry, but I never was a fan of Kichton. He's got good hockey sense, IQ, and shot, but his skating is not nearly as good as it should be for an OFD. That is what is going to hold him back from the pros.
You can teach and train skating. You cant teach hockey sense, IQ.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Brenden Kichton

How did Kichton slip to the 5th round after putting up 23 goals and 81 points in his draft year? Those are unbelievable numbers for a defenseman, although on an extremely talented team. I've never seen him play, so what's his weakness holding him back from being considered a top prospect?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:54 PM
boredmale

It should be noted he was passed over his first year eligible and if you look at his stats this season he is an overager. I personally don't understand why the Islanders didn't send him to the AHL instead of the WHL(especially when De Haan got injured for the season). I sort of think he is a victim of numbers with the Islanders because they have alot of smallish puck moving defensemen on the team

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:58 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
How did Kichton slip to the 5th round after putting up 23 goals and 81 points in his draft year? Those are unbelievable numbers for a defenseman, although on an extremely talented team. I've never seen him play, so what's his weakness holding him back from being considered a top prospect?
I think he was an overager when drafted, which always has an impact on the draft decision. The year he had a major breakout, he got to play with Jared Cowen, jumped straight to Ottawa the year after. The year after was the real sign that it wasn't just riding Cowen's coattails.

One thing that stands out when I watch Kichton is that he's not extremely fast, nor large...merely "good" in both categories and, for all those goal scoring numbers, his shot isn't fast. It's more deceptive than it actually can burn the goalie, which I'm not sure translates well for a defender in the NHL.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:26 PM
StrongIslanders90

He was drafted as an overager. Most Isles fans wish he was in BPORT. Really not much left for him in Juniors.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:41 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I think he was an overager when drafted, which always has an impact on the draft decision. The year he had a major breakout, he got to play with Jared Cowen, jumped straight to Ottawa the year after. The year after was the real sign that it wasn't just riding Cowen's coattails.

One thing that stands out when I watch Kichton is that he's not extremely fast, nor large...merely "good" in both categories and, for all those goal scoring numbers, his shot isn't fast. It's more deceptive than it actually can burn the goalie, which I'm not sure translates well for a defender in the NHL.
That's just it imo. When you watch him, nothing really jumps out at you. He's just a decent in all aspects, but not really master of any

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge
That's just it imo. When you watch him, nothing really jumps out at you. He's just a decent in all aspects, but not really master of any.
Thanks for the input!

I've got a bit of a question for you guys.

It seems like almost every year in recent times, the Islanders have taken an offensively-oriented junior Dman (often an overager) with a late round pick.

For example:
- Jared Spurgeon, 19, 6th rounder, Spokane 12-31-43 +36 his draft year 2008
- Tony DeHart, 20, 5th rounder, Oshawa 10-40-50 -23 his draft year
- Brenden Kichton, 19, 5th rounder, Spokane, 23-58-81 +55 his draft year 2011
- Jesse Graham, 18, 6th rounder, Niagara, 4-37-41 +25 his draft year 2012

Of them, Spurgeon has become an NHLer, Dehart an ECHLer, Kichton a very overage WHLer and Graham is in the midst of a personally difficult 3rd year with Niagara. Heck, in 2009 they also took a big unknown Russian kid in the 4th or 5th round named Klementyev and brought him over immediately (that expirement has quickly come to pass despite a few promising things his first season).

Anyhow, seeing as how you've probably seen both Spurgeon and Kichton in the course of time, how would you compare the two? Is Spurgeon simply much better? Is his making the NHL actually a bit of a surprise? Are they somewhat similar when all is said and done? Are they completely different?

Would you actually feel Kichton is the better of the two?

Do you think Kichton is worth an ELC?

Would appreciate any info if you should feel like responding.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Thanks for the input!

I've got a bit of a question for you guys.

It seems like almost every year in recent times, the Islanders have taken an offensively-oriented junior Dman (often an overager) with a late round pick.

For example:

Of them, Spurgeon has become an NHLer, Dehart an ECHLer, Kichton a very overage WHLer and Graham is in the midst of a personally difficult 3rd year with Niagara. Heck, in 2009 they also took a big unknown Russian kid in the 4th or 5th round named Klementyev and brought him over immediately (that expirement has quickly come to pass despite a few promising things his first season).

Anyhow, seeing as how you've probably seen both Spurgeon and Kichton in the course of time, how would you compare the two? Is Spurgeon simply much better? Is his making the NHL actually a bit of a surprise? Are they somewhat similar when all is said and done? Are they completely different?

I think we will see Kichton signed in the next training camp. I think that might have been the plan this offseason with the potential of the lock-out. Before deHaan was injured the had deHaan, wishart, Donovon, Ness, Cantin, Landry, McIver nd then Hamonic all already on contracts. They did not want to have more than one of them sit and watch games. They never expected deHaan to be injured early on and I bet they now regret not signing Kichton earlier. So I belive that when camp opens whether it be this month, next month or in September, expect him to be signed.

I know you questioned why Clark was signed and Kichton wasnt and I think it was a question of numbers. With Dibo, Rahkshani etc. going overseas they needed depth players and clark was going to fit the bill as a project and depth player. They never expected to be locked out this long and have to assign him to an ECHL team.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It should be noted he was passed over his first year eligible and if you look at his stats this season he is an overager. I personally don't understand why the Islanders didn't send him to the AHL instead of the WHL(especially when De Haan got injured for the season). I sort of think he is a victim of numbers with the Islanders because they have alot of smallish puck moving defensemen on the team
By the time De Haan was injured it was too late. The Isles had De Haan, Donovan and Ness pencilled in as smaller puck-moving dmen. Add in Hamonic and the team wanting some veteran experience as well, and there wasn't any room. They probably wanted him playing top minutes in juniors rather than hardly playing at Bridgeport.

If not for the lockout Hamonic and either De Haan or Donovan would have started with the Isles and I would guess Kichton would have been signed and sent to Bridgeport.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

For example:

I think they're pretty similar in many regards. They're both semi-fast and rely on instinct and vision more than size. Spurgeon relies more on a better shot in the WHL...so, though his goal scoring numbers aren't as sexy in his WHL stint, they'll translate better.

One key difference is that, while Kichton is a bigger player, he doesn't play bigger than he is. Simply put, Spurgeon does. Therefore the size difference matters little to me as they both act as if they are about the same size.

Kichton seems a little more offensively geared of the two while Spurgeon is a better in-zone defender. In general terms, I'd trust Kichton to quarterback a powerplay, while I wouldn't question decisions to have Spurgeon play on both the PP and PK. Kichton's play is certainly a little bit closer to Rafalski in style (honestly, I can't think of a better comparable than that...not to say he'll be as GOOD as him, but that patterns in their movement and style are similar).

In NHL potential, I would have never thought Spurgeon would make it as far as he has. Though you always get a few players like that, who exceed each and every expectation you set out. Kichton is likely to make the NHL in my mind, but to a lower level (bottom pairing, given time on PP). He'll be hit hard because everything will be ramped up, so those "good" level skills I defined in my first post will probably become less prominent as he has to keep up with the best of the world (I say probably because I would have put the same labels on Spurgeon, had you asked me back then). While Spurgeon played above and beyond where his numbers pointed, I think you'll see Kichton drop down from what his scoring numbers indicate. For a best case scenario, I think you would want to pair him with a player with a good shot as I'm still not convinced he'll ever be a goal scoring threat himself. My though is that he'll top out as a bottom 3 guy with good power play vision. Then again, I've been wrong before. I'm just really bad at projecting some of these smaller, more skill oriented D.

There is no doubt in my mind that he's worth an ELC. I would suspect that, given the Islander's defensive situation, they would have loved him in Bridgeport this year. Next season, provided this one is a scratch, I see him either playing top 3 in Bridgeport or playing #5-7 in New York. Given Wang's penchant for hiding money in large ELCs, I could see either happen, though the best place for his development would be a stint in Bridgeport to get used to faster and bigger players.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Draft Guru

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...36844143112192

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Also have heard that D Brenden Kichton, #Isles 5th-round pick in 2011, has rejected contract offer and is likely to reenter draft in June.
How good of a prospect is Kichton? Does he go ~3rd round or possibly even higher?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:28 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

How good of a prospect is Kichton? Does he go ~3rd round or possibly even higher?
Does he even go in the draft? He is an overager, wouldn't that make him a UFA right away.

If he does go in the draft I am guessing 5-7th round. Personally I don't understand why the Islanders didn't try sign him the second De Haan was injured for the rest of the season like 3 games into the season. I understand he was a victim of numbers(ie the Islanders already had 4 small PMD on the team, but once one got injured there was no reason to keep Kitchon off the team)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

I'm curious as the how Kichton is still eligible to re-enter the draft. That does not make sense to me, since he passed over his first year eligible, then drafted, then was NYI property during his 3rd year. AFAIK CHL players only have 3 eligible years. When you refuse to sign, for players who get drafted in first eligible year, they would naturally re-enter since that would be their 3rd eligible draft. But with him, this will be his 4th draft. He should be UFA on June 1 this year, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote