*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Buddy23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
Agree however we keep blaming the boys and who can't play and who doesn't want to play and who is running the team and who isn't. Have we actually sat down to think that it might be the coaching staff? We all know that when these professional players who make millions of dollars aren't playing up to their potential or worth, who is it that they get rid of or blame? Certainly not the players. Maybe it's time to change the coach and see if it really is the players or the coaching staff. How many player changes do you think you can make without getting any results. It's not fair to the boys. Maybe they need to have someone behind the bench who cares enough to get these boys rolling. Someone who can use the talent they have and make it work instead of always making line changes and making excuses. Remember, behind every hard working and winning team is a great coach. (London, Owen Sound, etc...) Can you honestly say that about Cull, what does he bring to the table? Most of these boys want to make it work, I'm sure they didn't leave their families and make all the sacrifices they did just to lose game in and game out. Think about it..
Personally I don't have a problem with Cull and while your points are valid one just has to look at the history of this team to see that we have been a consistently mediocre team for most of our tenure in the OHL. We have had numerous coaches here with very very little success! Bottom line is we don't draft well! You can attribute this to the reluctance of players coming north and the teams reluctance to roll the dice on these players. you can blame poor scouting or lately a GM whose background is marketing ... not hockey! Apart from the Scarbossa deal when we unloaded McFarland I'd be hard pressed to name a quality player we've traded in order to build for a future year! In the 40 years this team has been in the OHL it has had 16 winning seasons of which 5 were in the first seven years in the league! In 40 years we have finished first in our division just 3 times! While I hate the Barrie colts ... here's an interest stat, since they joined the OHL in 1995/96 the colts have had 4 losing seasons! What I see here is an ownership quite happy to milk the avid fans in Sudbury with mediocre teams that will generally qualify low in the standings and early exists in the playoffs! Management here seems to want to rake in as much money yearly rather than look at the bigger picture! I for one have gotten tired of a management that is more concerned with giving there kid an unearned spot than looking for ways to improve the club.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:27 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
Agree however we keep blaming the boys and who can't play and who doesn't want to play and who is running the team and who isn't. Have we actually sat down to think that it might be the coaching staff? We all know that when these professional players who make millions of dollars aren't playing up to their potential or worth, who is it that they get rid of or blame? Certainly not the players. Maybe it's time to change the coach and see if it really is the players or the coaching staff. How many player changes do you think you can make without getting any results. It's not fair to the boys. Maybe they need to have someone behind the bench who cares enough to get these boys rolling. Someone who can use the talent they have and make it work instead of always making line changes and making excuses. Remember, behind every hard working and winning team is a great coach. (London, Owen Sound, etc...) Can you honestly say that about Cull, what does he bring to the table? Most of these boys want to make it work, I'm sure they didn't leave their families and make all the sacrifices they did just to lose game in and game out. Think about it..
I have been preaching that Cull has been a negative for Sudbury for the last couple of years. He doesnt develop young players. Plays the studs all the time in all key situations. Changes lines too many times.

James Boyd in Missy has the top rated team in the east because of a system in place. They dont have any more talent than Sudbury, but they play hard and compete every shift. If they dont produce, then he tries an alternative role for the player, and if that doesnt work, then the kid sits.

I dont think that the kids are all underachieving, but I think they dont draft the best players. Which player selected in the first 3 rounds in the last 5 years can we say is a top 6 forward or top 4 dman? Mcfarland, Leivo, Corrado- very fringe type players.

I think they need to change Cull and see what happens, and if nothing then blow it up. But it may be too late for that this year. So we need to accept that they may not do much this year. May not make the playoffs, unless they start winning.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I have been preaching that Cull has been a negative for Sudbury for the last couple of years. He doesnt develop young players. Plays the studs all the time in all key situations. Changes lines too many times.

James Boyd in Missy has the top rated team in the east because of a system in place. They dont have any more talent than Sudbury, but they play hard and compete every shift. If they dont produce, then he tries an alternative role for the player, and if that doesnt work, then the kid sits.

I dont think that the kids are all underachieving, but I think they dont draft the best players. Which player selected in the first 3 rounds in the last 5 years can we say is a top 6 forward or top 4 dman? Mcfarland, Leivo, Corrado- very fringe type players.

I think they need to change Cull and see what happens, and if nothing then blow it up. But it may be too late for that this year. So we need to accept that they may not do much this year. May not make the playoffs, unless they start winning.
Drove to Sudbury last night to witness this team's current demise. Such a disappointment after spirits were so positive at training camp after coming back from a championship victory in Russia. Team needs to regroup and not sure if Cull is the guy for the job. Word on the street is that he depends too much on his veterans and just bashes on the rookies or younger player. What this team needs is a new regime much like the Soo (New GM) who will try to rebuild the program and start from the bottom up. Not an easy job for the Wolves as their draft pick have been horrible the last few years (have a look at their first five picks and compare them with what was available especially in the first three rounds, in fact most of their first 5 rounds were not even part of Central scouting top 100, I don't even think any of them made the top 50), furthermore the 97 crop not looking too promising so can't look to the 2013 draft for salvation. In fact what they should condider is trading their top guys this year for 96-95 draftees from teams currently looking at making a run for it after Christmas. Should they do so, they need to play these youngers boys to better help them develop and get ready to contribute next year...just my opinion.

As to the issue with C.B. he saw limited ice yesterday so can't put the entire blame on him, eventhough I am sure this may be having a negative impact in dressing room. This being said I don't believe he took any one spot as I think they are currently carrying 1 extra forward, even if they are not there really was no one at camp that would have changed things significantly. Not a fan on what they did with Vilardy but this being said he likely should not have been signed anyway, was only signed so signing owners kid (drafted after him) early would not be too controversial. Vilardy will only benefit from 1 year a Junior A and even at that still leaves question mark as he did not have a strong rookie camp or main camp, even he would admit to this.

Let us hope the new rivalry between North Bay and Sudbury will stir some moves as to not get humiliated by a smaller community only 1.5 hours away.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Johnsb

How does the D group look? Any word on changes?

Old
11-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
How does the D group look? Any word on changes?
Don't want to throw our any names especially rookies so suffice to say as a group they are not very strong. They are in desperate need of a strong "quarterback type" puck carrying defencemen. Offense is as much of a problem as D however, if you look at the last few games it is not has if they are gettting blown away. We need more offensive punch and having a puck carrying defenseman (or quick first pass instead of wrapping around boards) will help, also will help on PP

Old
11-15-2012, 08:48 AM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Drove to Sudbury last night to witness this team's current demise. Such a disappointment after spirits were so positive at training camp after coming back from a championship victory in Russia. Team needs to regroup and not sure if Cull is the guy for the job. Word on the street is that he depends too much on his veterans and just bashes on the rookies or younger player. What this team needs is a new regime much like the Soo (New GM) who will try to rebuild the program and start from the bottom up. Not an easy job for the Wolves as their draft pick have been horrible the last few years (have a look at their first five picks and compare them with what was available especially in the first three rounds, in fact most of their first 5 rounds were not even part of Central scouting top 100, I don't even think any of them made the top 50), furthermore the 97 crop not looking too promising so can't look to the 2013 draft for salvation. In fact what they should condider is trading their top guys this year for 96-95 draftees from teams currently looking at making a run for it after Christmas. Should they do so, they need to play these youngers boys to better help them develop and get ready to contribute next year...just my opinion.

As to the issue with C.B. he saw limited ice yesterday so can't put the entire blame on him, eventhough I am sure this may be having a negative impact in dressing room. This being said I don't believe he took any one spot as I think they are currently carrying 1 extra forward, even if they are not there really was no one at camp that would have changed things significantly. Not a fan on what they did with Vilardy but this being said he likely should not have been signed anyway, was only signed so signing owners kid (drafted after him) early would not be too controversial. Vilardy will only benefit from 1 year a Junior A and even at that still leaves question mark as he did not have a strong rookie camp or main camp, even he would admit to this.

Let us hope the new rivalry between North Bay and Sudbury will stir some moves as to not get humiliated by a smaller community only 1.5 hours away.

The thing with Vilardi is that he has proven he can contribute anywhere he has played. Last year he led all OMHA in scoring with 36 G - 24A in 35 games. Even when he got called up last year to Junior A, he was over a point a game player. I know there are more tangibles to the game, than just scoring and I think this year you will notice his point production has dropped, but he is still top 5 in team scoring as a rookie and he is improving other aspects to his game and he he is not always thinking offense first. I think in the future he can be a big contributor to the club. But if the rumors are true that he is unhappy with Sudbury, that may be a blow as he could potentially be a solid part for building to the future.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan32 View Post
The thing with Vilardi is that he has proven he can contribute anywhere he has played. Last year he led all OMHA in scoring with 36 G - 24A in 35 games. Even when he got called up last year to Junior A, he was over a point a game player. I know there are more tangibles to the game, than just scoring and I think this year you will notice his point production has dropped, but he is still top 5 in team scoring as a rookie and he is improving other aspects to his game and he he is not always thinking offense first. I think in the future he can be a big contributor to the club. But if the rumors are true that he is unhappy with Sudbury, that may be a blow as he could potentially be a solid part for building to the future.
Fully agree, Valardi could play a role in the success of this franchise assuming he addresses some part of his game, which Tier 1 should help him out this year. My point was that this C.B. for Valardi debate is mute as Sudbury's problem are are deeper than this. Valardi will be a good player eventually and so will Cummings, Dehann, Baptiste, Harris and maybe even Burgess, but they were not the best players available in the first three rounds and are unlikely to become marquee players in the league, which is what Sudbury has missed on for the last 3-4 years.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:13 PM
chewerjones

Sudbury Fans, we need CHANGE desperately.

Something has to happen. We have 3 avg lines, instead of 2 go to lines, and a solid checking line. D unit is horrific and goalies are underachieving. No bright young stars in the system or on the team.

They need to acknowledge that they are not contenders this year, or next year, and blow it up. Concentrate on contending in 2 years. Trade Leivo, Kantor, Campagna, Corrado, Sefton, Dodero, for draft picks and prospects to stock the shelves for a run in 2 years.

That is half the job. Upper Mgmt has to start drafting better, and pick best kid available, rather than Northern Kid, and stay away of nonsense, such as playing CB. They also have to trade better, but before that they need to have qualified people in position. Both BS and Coach Cull have worn out their welcome, and must be replaced. Also, Mark Burgess has to stay away from Hockey Operations.

Hopefully, if the above is done, then the Sudbury fans will understand and accept a possible bright future. If not, then the GONG SHOW continues.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:16 PM
chewerjones

After tonight's game, they have lost 8 of last 11, and may ended up losing to Niagara and Brampton this weekend and thus lose 10 of last 13.

Only saving grace is that Ottawa is losing and Monahan now out for 10 games. But still , to make playoffs in 8th spot, will just delay the inevidable.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:57 PM
djscooter

Quote:
stay away of nonsense, such as playing Also, Mark Burgess has to stay away from Hockey Operations.
So Basically nothing is going to change.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:15 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
So Basically nothing is going to change.
That may be the case??

Tonight they had a 5-1 lead with 7 minutes left, and they lost the game in SO. 2 Goals scored in last 30 seconds of game.

I personally think Cull had the wrong guys on the ice, or the guys just gave up or took things for granted???

Something has to be done. Lets hope they get a win tomorrow in Brampton.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:27 AM
newyorker

This is exactly why CULL HAS TO GO. Any good coach would never have blown a 5-1 lead with 5 min left in the game. Wrong guys on the ice and you can't blame the guys he puts on, you blame the guy who put them there. You would have never seen Strome, Ritchie, Hamilton, Shipley get off the ice if you started to see your team fall apart after letting in 2 goals back to back. Cull kept putting on the same guys that let them score on Sudbury. Seems like he wanted to lose? Thoughts?

Old
11-25-2012, 09:09 AM
djscooter

Quote:
That may be the case??

Tonight they had a 5-1 lead with 7 minutes left, and they lost the game in SO. 2 Goals scored in last 30 seconds of game.

I personally think Cull had the wrong guys on the ice, or the guys just gave up or took things for granted???

Something has to be done. Lets hope they get a win tomorrow in Brampton.
I have to disagree with you about having the wrong guys on the ice. Almost all the goals were scored with guys like Kantor, Harris, Baptiste, Leivo, some of the wolves top forwards offensive and defensively. The only wrong guy they had on the ice was a Jr. B caliber goaltender, however that can't be fixed regardless.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:32 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
I have to disagree with you about having the wrong guys on the ice. Almost all the goals were scored with guys like Kantor, Harris, Baptiste, Leivo, some of the wolves top forwards offensive and defensively. The only wrong guy they had on the ice was a Jr. B caliber goaltender, however that can't be fixed regardless.
You confirmed my statement.

The guys noted above, are the wrong guys. Leivo's head is with the Leafs, and he is too worried about scoring an empty net goal. Kantor hustles, but is careless many a time. Harris has come back from a head injury and isnt up to speed yet, and Baptiste has gone from a 5th overall offensive star, to a 3rd line checker- his hockey IQ has been scrambled.

Look at the score sheets, and the guys with the plus numbers should have been on the ice. Not the negative numbers.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
djscooter

Quote:
You confirmed my statement.

The guys noted above, are the wrong guys. Leivo's head is with the Leafs, and he is too worried about scoring an empty net goal. Kantor hustles, but is careless many a time. Harris has come back from a head injury and isnt up to speed yet, and Baptiste has gone from a 5th overall offensive star, to a 3rd line checker- his hockey IQ has been scrambled.

Look at the score sheets, and the guys with the plus numbers should have been on the ice. Not the negative numbers.
So you would have iced a line of Huether, Desrochers Cull with Thibodeau and De Haan on the backend?

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 11-25-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Flaming
Old
11-25-2012, 04:11 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
So you would have iced a line of Huether, Desrochers Cull with Thibodeau and De Haan on the backend?
How about Silk, Pancel, Campagna??

Today they played great and got good goaltending.

Yesterday, Leivo left the game with a concussion and then comes back in the 3rd period, and they play him down the stretch. Strome and Ritchie were wide open down the wings on the last 2 goals. The forwards on the ice clearly didnt cover them, or had the sense to shadow them. As long as they shadowed Hamilton and his shot from the point, and Strome with his playmaking ability, Sudbury would have been ok.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:55 PM
notstatsman
Rookie User

There are two major problems in wolf country. The owner is out of touch with reality, if for a single moment he can honestly say his son belongs in this league he is delusional. The kid is downright awful. Enough said. The coach is terrible at developing players Kontos left because of Cull berating him at every turn. Campagna wanted out and probably would welcome a trade to any team but because of his lack of development he has very little value in a trade.

So the owner is not going anywhere that means Cull must go but whomever replaces him must be willing to play CB. Sounds like more of the same old same old no future in wolf country.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:57 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by notstatsman View Post
There are two major problems in wolf country. The owner is out of touch with reality, if for a single moment he can honestly say his son belongs in this league he is delusional. The kid is downright awful. Enough said. The coach is terrible at developing players Kontos left because of Cull berating him at every turn. Campagna wanted out and probably would welcome a trade to any team but because of his lack of development he has very little value in a trade.

So the owner is not going anywhere that means Cull must go but whomever replaces him must be willing to play CB. Sounds like more of the same old same old no future in wolf country.
Last year, Kontos and Campagna were fighting for 2nd line time, and one had to go. I would assume that Kontos asked for the trade.

This year, Campagna has been playing really well offensively, and worked great with Corrado on point on PP. You would think that Cull would put Sefton or Kantor in front of net on PP, and have Corrado and Campagna on point, and Leivo and Pancel/Silk on wings.

Last game he had Sefton on the half wall, and Kantor in front of net. Sefton is useless on the half wall- BAD COACHING.

Campagna and Leivo have been Sudbury's best offensive threats this year, and it would be nice to see them play together with Pancel or Silk.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:56 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Dont mean to annoy you guys or ask repetitive questions. Seems like things are pretty gloomy in this forum.

Can any of you give a good description of Leivo's game? Does he have a chance at making the NHL?

Old
11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Dont mean to annoy you guys or ask repetitive questions. Seems like things are pretty gloomy in this forum.

Can any of you give a good description of Leivo's game? Does he have a chance at making the NHL?
Leivo plays hard and has skill but I believe he is getting bored being on a sub par team, just like Sgarbossa last year. He is taking too many stupid penalties, and tries to do too much on his own. Not utilizing his teammates, and more of an individualist.

He will see time with Marlies in few years, but NHL will be a stretch.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:20 AM
newyorker

Just heard that they fired the head coach of Erie. When are they doing that in Sudbury? Another disappointment after last nights game and it certainly wasn't the players fault again.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:02 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Leivo plays hard and has skill but I believe he is getting bored being on a sub par team, just like Sgarbossa last year. He is taking too many stupid penalties, and tries to do too much on his own. Not utilizing his teammates, and more of an individualist.

He will see time with Marlies in few years, but NHL will be a stretch.
Well hes already seen time on the Marlies. He will probably be there next year. Guess we will just have to wait and see if he has NHL pottential.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
howlman

Nothing will change in Wolf land until owner Mark Burgess is gone. Some people just don't understand this. Everything stems from Burgess the clown. We can sit here and say we need a new coach, better scouting, this and that ect... all this really doesn't mean s**t until the real problem is gone, which is Mark Burgess.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:06 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post
Nothing will change in Wolf land until owner Mark Burgess is gone. Some people just don't understand this. Everything stems from Burgess the clown. We can sit here and say we need a new coach, better scouting, this and that ect... all this really doesn't mean s**t until the real problem is gone, which is Mark Burgess.
I dont think that Mark Burgess is the major problem. He is ok with his kid playing every other gam, and minimal shifts. That is not enough to ruin the team.

We dont have the top end hockey minds in GM and Coach. With the high draft picks that Sudbury has had over the last 5 years (1st, 5th, 5th, 6th and 14th), we should have a team that has been competing for overall top spot in east for the last 2 years and at least a potential Mem Cup contender. BUT WE DONT HAVE SUCH A THING.

It clearly shows that the drafts have been subpar, and the trades to lure players around the drafted kids have been subpar. Best deal from BS was securing Sgarbossa, but in Sgarbossa we got an Individualist and not a team player. He wanted the puck and wanted to be on at all key times, so that he promoted himself and not the team, and that has set back Sudbury a couple of years. Coach and GM havent realized this.

Last good crop of talented players was under the Foligno reign. That might say something. BS is a nice guy, but he doesnt come from a hockey background and is not a high end hockey mind.

They believe that they are mem cup contenders this year and want to be buyers????? Only BS, MB and Cull believe this. They need to accept that they are not contenders, and be sellers and consider contending in a few years.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
howlman

Let me put it this way chewy, Sudbury will NEVER win a championship with mark burgess as an owner, take that to the bank. No point in ranting about this team I could go on and on its a joke of an organization and sad for the Sudbury faithful. It breaks my heart but the truth hurts.

Closed Thread