HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago Sports/General Sports Thread Part XIV: WOO IRISH

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Roll Tide

Old
11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 500
Duke takes down Louisville too! Great night!

Old
11-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Illinihockey

Kiffin is so bad

Old
11-24-2012, 11:20 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 214
Rooting for [insert SEC team here] versus Notre Dame.

And good game at Bensenville, though the Steel feel to Indiana in the shootout.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Illinihockey

LFC gets another goal waived off on a suspect offsides call....ugh

Old
11-25-2012, 08:36 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
FWIW, I think they got it right.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:18 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Rooting for [insert SEC team here] versus Notre Dame.

And good game at Bensenville, though the Steel feel to Indiana in the shootout.
I was really hoping ND would lose just to see an all SEC championship, and the freakout from outside the SEC that would ensue.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Illinihockey

The silence coming out of Champaign has to mean Beckman is fired right? That they are looking for his replacement first

Old
11-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The silence coming out of Champaign has to mean Beckman is fired right? That they are looking for his replacement first
Illinois is not firing another coach (Thus paying another coach not coaching)

He had a horrid 1st year ,, But they aren't dumping him after 1 yr

Old
11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Cullksinikers

I don't understand why they hired him?

-Most coaches who don't come from one of the main six conferences usually have standout records like 10-2, 11-1, etc. when they leave.

-They went after Sumlin, but that was fine and smart since he has a very high win percentage at Houston.

-It's not like Beckman was ever close to sniffing a BCS game or had consistent years of high records such as the ones mentioned above. He was maybe, just maybe, a slightly above average coach in the MAC.

Illinois should pull the plug. I don't think Illinois can recruit right now, and Beckman isn't the guy to fix it. They need a notable coach to start getting quality recruits back or things will continue to look bleak for their program.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:40 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
I've already long since given up on that moron, but no.... if Illinois fires him already, then the football program's done. If they only give a guy a single year to rebuild when everybody knows that it's at least, at least, a three year process in collegiate football, then they're going to be the least attractive major BCS coaching gig in the nation.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I've already long since given up on that moron, but no.... if Illinois fires him already, then the football program's done. If they only give a guy a single year to rebuild when everybody knows that it's at least, at least, a three year process in collegiate football, then they're going to be the least attractive major BCS coaching gig in the nation.
Illinois won 7 games last year, had the 7th ranked defense in the country and returned 8 starters. It wasn't a rebuild at all.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Illinois won 7 games last year, had the 7th ranked defense in the country and returned 8 starters. It wasn't a rebuild at all.
They lost their last six regular season games in a row. It was a rebuild. Winning a scrub bowl doesn't change that.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:59 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

ILLINOIS WINS!

Whew.... far closer than it should've been, but hard not to be pumped after game winning shot like that!

Old
11-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
They lost their last six regular season games in a row. It was a rebuild. Winning a scrub bowl doesn't change that.
They played poorly down e stretch but it wasn't 2003 Illinois, they had back to back 7 win seasons

Old
11-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
ILLINOIS WINS!

Whew.... far closer than it should've been, but hard not to be pumped after game winning shot like that!
Total let down Game, great win

Old
11-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Illinihockey

Cubs Reportedly Inquire About Giancarlo Stanton

Could the Cubs acquire the Marlins' disgruntled superstar hitter? Maybe.

I'm kind of leery about making this post, for two reasons:

I don't really like linking to stuff on Sulia, and
It was written by Phil Rogers.
That out of the way, here's what Phil wrote there Sunday morning:

The Cubs are talking to the Marlins about Giancarlo Stanton. It makes sense that they would look into it, given Miami's move to streamline the payroll and Stanton's unhappiness about the direction of the club. The Cubs have plenty of future payroll flexibility, and Stanton would give them a No. 3 hitter to build around. They would almost certainly have to give up Starlin Castro in a Stanton trade. His club-friendly contract (seven years, $6O-million, plus an option for 2O2O) would appeal to the Marlins. The Cubs could justify dealing Castro because of the shortstops they have in their system. They probably will only have to wait two years for Javier Baez and could give Junior Lake a look in the interim. They could also acquire Yunel Escobar in the deal as a placeholder or move Gold Glove winner Darwin Barney to shortstop, with Logan Watkins in the group to replace Barney.
Well. Stanton, who is four months older than Castro, is a monster hitter. He'd probably be an even better hitter at Wrigley Field than he is at Marlins Park; Wrigley was a better hitters' park in 2012 than the new stadium in Miami (caveat: generally you'd like three years' worth of numbers from a ballpark, but we only have one from Marlins Park). And Stanton hit 37 home runs and led the National League in slugging percentage (.601) in 2012 even though he missed 37 games.

What Rogers writes actually makes some logical sense, given what the Cubs are trying to do. Acquiring Stanton wouldn't hurt the rebuild, because at 23 Stanton is just the sort of player you'd love to build around. The players mentioned in Rogers' post could indeed fill in until the system produces players to man those positions.

Like the long-term deal Castro signed last August, you'd want to sign Stanton to a similar deal (obviously, it would cost somewhat more, but worth it, in my view).

Stanton plays right field; David DeJesus could slide over to center for a year, and then the Cubs could find a replacement. Stanton would give the Cubs' offense an immediate boost, and again, he is only 23 -- he might get better. Rogers' post indicates several other teams are interested, but the Cubs have a shot, given Castro as an attractive trade piece. As we saw from the recent Marlins/Blue Jays trade, Miami seems ready to make blockbuster deals. Would you do this? I think I would. Leave your comments, and vote in the poll.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
IU destroys Ball St. Passed out during the whole thing

Old
11-25-2012, 09:53 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

God, I'd trade so much for Stanton. The kid is the preeminent power hitter in the game. And he can patrol the OF with the best of em.

Trade Garza and flip the specs for Stanton plus whatever else it takes.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:55 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

If Duke beats OSU, there's no reason why we should be behind IU. #3 UK, #2 UL, and top 5 OSU would be easily the best resume in college basketball this year.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
God, I'd trade so much for Stanton. The kid is the preeminent power hitter in the game. And he can patrol the OF with the best of em.

Trade Garza and flip the specs for Stanton plus whatever else it takes.
Don't think Miami would want Garza. Deal would have to include Castro

Old
11-25-2012, 10:02 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Don't think Miami would want Garza. Deal would have to include Castro
Well, you'd flip Garza. Probably just ask for a top end heavy deal. Like Garza to STL for Taveras and change. Not suggesting it, just providing an example.

But, yea, I'd say that would probably be the most likely avenue, which I would struggle over. I love both of those players so much.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:38 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
It would have been nice to do this while we could have worked another Marlin into the deal but Castro for Stanton straight up...painful but we'd have to do it.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Well, you'd flip Garza. Probably just ask for a top end heavy deal. Like Garza to STL for Taveras and change. Not suggesting it, just providing an example.

But, yea, I'd say that would probably be the most likely avenue, which I would struggle over. I love both of those players so much.
Thats a good idea. Flip Garza for 2 prospects, then trade them and Castro for Stanton. I like it. A 3-4 of Stanton and Rizzo would be incredible.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:01 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Thats a good idea. Flip Garza for 2 prospects, then trade them and Castro for Stanton. I like it. A 3-4 of Stanton and Rizzo would be incredible.
Yeah, sounds great, also sounded great a year ago and nobody would bite then or even after Garza was pitching well the first couple months. High end hitting is worth more than high end pitching IMO. I don't think Garza would bring back enough. It would have to be Garza (or value of Garza) plus Baez or just Castro. I prefer to keep Baez and Garza (or his value) over Castro if we were going to make this deal.

Closed Thread