HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Would you rather win 1 Stanley Cup or 5 Hart Trophies if you were a player?

View Poll Results: Would you rather win
1 Stanley Cup 163 48.95%
5 Hart Trophies 170 51.05%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Yes nobody ever would want to be remembered as a Super Bowl winning QB.
He's remembered in a mostly negative light. No one ever gives him credit for the Super Bowl. People use Trent Dilfer as an example of a mediocre QB that got carried to a ring. He's used as a punch line. As an example of what a great defense the Ravens had, as they could have overcome their liability at QB and win. That's not taking away from his ring, but he's mostly remembered in a negative light. Meanwhile Marino is thought of as one of the best ever. Mostly positively. Most people pity him for not having much to work with.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:16 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
hockey players, since they were a kid, they dreamed of winning a stanley cup. Having an nhl career and not winning it is very dissapointing, it's like if all these years you played were for nothing. Hart trophys are good, but you don't play to win these.
After saying this, I will take the stanley cup over the 5 hart trophies.
So no hockey players ever wish to be one of the greatest ever when they're growing up?

Old
11-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So no hockey players ever wish to be one of the greatest ever when they're growing up?
Obviously I didn't poll every kid, but I would bet that most people dreamed about winning the Cup.

11-24-2012, 06:20 PM
SnowblindNYR

And to add to that, when these hockey players were playing and scoring their GW SC goals, did they picture they were Gretzky, Richard, and Lemieux, or a 4th line scrub?

Old
11-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
no every kid wants to be the best to ever play the game, but most get this notion that winning the cup means they are the best in the world.

one other thing that i never added in the other post. most kids grow up dreaming that they were steve yzerman scoring the ot game winner against st louis, or being paul henderson scoring in the deciding game of the russia vs canada super series. and soon will be being crosby scoring the ot winner against the usa in the olympics.

all kids want to be famous and remembered for the rest of there lives. so of course they will want to win the cup (if of course they are the reason it was won)

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

5 Hart AINEC IMO, 5 Hart would mean a hall of fame career while lots of 4th line grinders win the cup.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:33 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
no every kid wants to be the best to ever play the game, but most get this notion that winning the cup means they are the best in the world.

one other thing that i never added in the other post. most kids grow up dreaming that they were steve yzerman scoring the ot game winner against st louis, or being paul henderson scoring in the deciding game of the russia vs canada super series. and soon will be being crosby scoring the ot winner against the usa in the olympics.

all kids want to be famous and remembered for the rest of there lives. so of course they will want to win the cup (if of course they are the reason it was won)
And if they win 5 Harts they'll not be remembered for the rest of their lives?

Edit: I meant Harts.

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 11-24-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
And if they win 5 Cups they'll not be remembered for the rest of their lives?
not really who's the most famous brother henri richard or maurice richard?

Old
11-24-2012, 06:47 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
not really who's the most famous brother henri richard or maurice richard?
How many Harts did Henri have? Also they both won a bunch of cups, I don't see how this is relevant. And BTW, I meant if you win 5 Harts, not cups, obviously.

You really think no one would remember you if you had 5 Harts? You're dreaming.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
How many Harts did Henri have? Also they both won a bunch of cups, I don't see how this is relevant. And BTW, I meant if you win 5 Harts, not cups, obviously.

You really think no one would remember you if you had 5 Harts? You're dreaming.
i think you have me confused, i'm arguing the fact 5 harts is better then 1 cup as a scrub nobody.

nobody remembers henri, but they for sure will remember maurice because he was one of the best to ever play the game (hence why he has a trophy named after him).

Old
11-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I'm not sure why it being 1 in 30 odds every year actually is a reason to favor the cup. The question is not what's more realistic. The way I see it is that it's a negative that you have 1 in 30 odds every year. What are your odds of being a 5 time Hart winner? 1 in a few thousand?
If you are one of the bus drivers on your team and you win the cup that IMO is a better feeling than say winning a Hart on a bottom 10 team.

Quote:
That's just it. Losing hurts more than winning a secondary award like the Hart can make up for. It's not as if it's debatable, the Stanley Cup is the most coveted trophy one can win in hockey ainec.
Individual awards are nice, but I'd rather win a Conn Smythe and win the cup than win the President's trophy and Hart trophy and not win the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playerwinner View Post
5 Harts puts you in the argument for a top 20 player of all time, I would much rather be on of the greatest of all time at the sport I love, then be a 3rd liner who played half as many seasons and was insignificant as a player.
And arguably the best player to never win a cup and be labeled as a playoff choker/the guy that can't win the big game/etc. Also 3rd liners win hockey games too, just because they aren't danglers and on highlight reels don't mean that they don't win teams games. I'd rather be a 3rd liner that shuts down Crosby, Stamkos, and say the Sedins on my way to the cup than being say Joe Thornton. Yes he makes more $ and gets more fame, but I did my job and as a result my team won the cup.

Quote:
and the individual awards is what 1 in 700? and your name gets immortalized on it also. so whats your point, it is easier to latch onto a good team and win a cup?

individual trophies means your name will be remembered as one of the best to ever play the game.

thornton might not ever win a cup, but his name will be going into the hall of fame for every one to see his accomplishments. while yes a player that won a cup as a 4th line grinder will get his name on the cup and be in the hall of fame forever, but i can guarantee that nobody will read the cup name by name and go oh look daddy joe blow remember how amazing he was because he won that one cup?
Who wants to be known as the guy with the most points without winning a cup? If you like fame then that's your gig, for me winning > fame.

11-24-2012, 06:52 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
i think you have me confused, i'm arguing the fact 5 harts is better then 1 cup as a scrub nobody.

nobody remembers henri, but they for sure will remember maurice because he was one of the best to ever play the game (hence why he has a trophy named after him).
Oh ok, I think you misunderstood me because I wrote 5 Cups accidentally, when I meant 5 Harts. I've been arguing this whole thread about the 5 Harts, so we agree. lol

Old
11-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If you are one of the bus drivers on your team and you win the cup that IMO is a better feeling than say winning a Hart on a bottom 10 team.

Individual awards are nice, but I'd rather win a Conn Smythe and win the cup than win the President's trophy and Hart trophy and not win the cup.

And arguably the best player to never win a cup and be labeled as a playoff choker/the guy that can't win the big game/etc. Also 3rd liners win hockey games too, just because they aren't danglers and on highlight reels don't mean that they don't win teams games. I'd rather be a 3rd liner that shuts down Crosby, Stamkos, and say the Sedins on my way to the cup than being say Joe Thornton. Yes he makes more $ and gets more fame, but I did my job and as a result my team won the cup.

Who wants to be known as the guy with the most points without winning a cup? If you like fame then that's your gig, for me winning > fame.
i would rather be ray bourque (yes i know he ended up with a cup, but no matter what he was going to be one of the best to ever play the game cup or no cup), then say sergei gonchar (lets add another good but not so great defensemen here)

Old
11-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
But nobody actually remembers Dilfer as that. When people think of that Ravens team they think "That defense was so dominant they didnt even need a good QB to win". People dont think of Dilfer in a good light at all...
I know who Dilfer is and when i think of him i think of a guy who won a Super Bowl as a QB. That's a tremedous accomplishment. Even if he is the worst, somebody has to be. Being the worst guy to do something as tremendous as that isn't a bad thing in the slightest.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

i agree the cup is the ultimate goal for every single player to play hockey. but if you give most the chance to say best to ever play the game, or 1 cup as a nobody who nobody will remember 5 years down the road. they will ultimately choose best to ever play the game. nobody wants to be on the bench when the game is on the line. and if you want to be, then you are a sad sack for a human.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:03 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
It isn't even HHOF vs Cup

It's being in the discussion for top10 players OF ALL TIME. You're extremely deluded if you think any player would give that up for a single cup.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
It isn't even HHOF vs Cup

It's being in the discussion for top10 players OF ALL TIME. You're extremely deluded if you think any player would give that up for a single cup.
true, it is why i even added just players that might make it in the 1st ballot of the hall of fame, over nobody's. every person on this world will take fame over being a nobody who did nothing in his life (which being on the 4th line is basically)

Old
11-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Sky04

Quote:

Winning as a plug and not being remembered is worst, I'd rather have not be known as one of the guys who leeched off a good team or "being there at the right time" kinda players.

At least with the harts you earned it yourself.

Btw most people I know, know Maurice Richard as one of the greatest goal scorers to ever play the game, not that fact that he's mr 8 cups, most people don't even know how many cups he's won.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Not on the op i read the past few days. The last edit was 8 minutes after his original post, and by a mod, so i think it is people (like you) on this thread who have dramatically changed the parameters of the question to be 4th liner vs Goat, as opposed to simply Cup champ vs 5 time Hart winner. A championship is the ultimate goal in any team sport, only the very worst teammates i have ever had would say otherwise.
If you read what the mod edited, and the earlier posts after the OP, you could infer that the OP meant being one of the passenger players. Octopi said "Why the shot at Jay McKee", hence the OP referred to McKee as a person who had no impact on the run. The mod noted that Jay McKee made a lot of money, hence the OP was initially referring to a player who doesn't make much (4th liners). Obviously, the initial question wasn't as simple as 5 Harts vs. 1 Cup.

Quote:

And as I said earlier, that wasn't the question that was being asked.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
BRO, you got da taste in dem ladies, g. I think Dianna blocked me cause of how much times I've commented on her beauty.

5 harts.
Hahaha I know eh? Cher Lloyd is up there for me now too

Bure All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:02 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
5 Hart's no question. I win the Hart, it means I'm playing well. Team doesn't win the Cup, obviously it's not my fault if I was the most valuable player in the league. I guess I'm selfish. It might be different if I was actually in the situation. Like if our group became really close and I really wanted to win a cup for teammate X or Y, it might be more compelling. As an outsider though, I'd take the Hart's.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

I won't lie, give me the 5 Hart's. Would be considered a generational player and one of the all time greats, couldn't pass that up if given the choice.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:06 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
A couple of things. First, we're not talking about 1 Cup vs. 1 Hart. Second, you're most likely not going to win a Hart with a bottom 10 team. Third, of course I'm not comparing the feeling of winning a cup and the feeling of going up to the podium and receiving the Hart. However, if I were to take an objective look at my career, even though individually I'd be a lot less happy with a Hart at the awards ceremony, than the cup on the ice I would feel like I had a better career with 5 Harts than with 1 cup as a 4th line player.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:09 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
This has been mentioned several times and it's just wrong. Very few people hold Hasek's pre-Detroit career against him. Same with Marino, same with Barry Sanders. Joe Thornton is labeled a choker because he's played on great teams and has performed poorly in the playoffs. That doesn't have to be the case with the 5 time Hart winner.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:15 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I know who Dilfer is and when i think of him i think of a guy who won a Super Bowl as a QB. That's a tremedous accomplishment. Even if he is the worst, somebody has to be. Being the worst guy to do something as tremendous as that isn't a bad thing in the slightest.
Well you're in the minority. While I do think of him as a QB that won the SB. I and many others think of him as a punch line as well.