HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012, 4th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
11-24-2012, 04:00 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
He's just a prototypical successful NHL defenseman. Who cares about points really when you watch him, his skating and positioning and lack of panic is something. I didn't exactly see a guy like Marc Staal lighting up juniors, but when you watch some guys you know they are going to be good pros. Said Coburn as a comp at the draft and I'll probably stick to that. He's probably safer protecting a lead in the last two minutes of a game than a guy like Rielly 7 years from now, and that means something. Not all out or high-octane whatsoever, he's just good.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:20 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
If that rumor is true, it points out two things..

1.Isles with a deep prospect pool, felt there was a big drop off in talent and losing those non-first rounders wasn't a big deal.

2. Snow wants quality over quantity, at this point in his rebuild.
3. There are some issues with how the Islanders evaluate talent.

4. They are not done making crazy Wangy moves.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:41 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

5. All speculation until the Isles admit it.

6. Beat me up Scotty

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Strickland

Quote:
Huh? That's pretty much the only place in the past few years where the Isles have shown themselves to be anything other than incompetent. They've done a good job of collecting talent. They've got a top farm system that's deep in all positions.

Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:59 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
Huh? That's pretty much the only place in the past few years where the Isles have shown themselves to be anything other than incompetent. They've done a good job of collecting talent. They've got a top farm system that's deep in all positions.
Yeah, despite all the zaniness that has been going on with the Isles over the years... they've done a very nice job of re-stocking a barren system back when the re-build started. They've certainly have had enough picks to do it, but overall it's been job well done. They are looking fairly solid all across the board.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:05 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

I like the isles scouting dept. I think they've done a really good job.

Isles have a lot of promising youngsters and are gonna have some tough decisions over the next few yrs because of their glut of prospects.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:37 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Reinhart may look like a man amongst boys (he certainly did last night), but he still needs to physically mature to be able to succeed against the men of the NHL. He'll obviously get bigger, but he still needs to work on his skating to add more quickness and burst in his stride. I was pleasantly surprised by his mobility as it was better than I expected, but adding that extra step would make him very difficult to beat at the NHL level.

As for his offense, he certainly has the tools. He's got that big shot and he makes very quick and smart decisions with the puck. He looked good QB'ing the PP when he got the chance, I'm not a fan of the 5 forward 1st unit PP for Edmonton btw. I don't think he's being utilized in an offensive role as he's just so advanced defensively. If he were to spend another year there next year, he'd be getting like 30 minutes/game of ice time and should get opportunities to expand his offensive game at the appropriate level. If he doesn't make the WJC this year, he's got to be a lock next year. He'll never be a huge point guy, but he could develop into a 30-35 pt guy and that would make him a beast considering his shut down ability.

Besides, the Oil Kings have some sick facilities... They may be better than what the Isles have right now. I'd rather he hone his game there than at the NHL level.
I think it's becomming more and more likely that he'll be an Islander next year. His play this year as well as recent history with top drafted d-men has me pretty convinced.

Just looking at defensemen drafted in the top-5 since 2008:

Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn, Hedman, Gudbranson and Larsson all made their NHL teams after one year of development or less. Even some guys taken outside the top-5 as well, like Myers, OEL, Kulikov, Fowler, and by all accounts Hamilton would have been another one this season.

The only top-5 d-man since '08 who took more than one season was Pietrangelo, who still had 9-game tryouts with STL in each of the two years after he was drafted.

Out of that previous group, the only one who looks to have not put it together yet is Schenn. Every other player on that list have either already established themselves as top-pairing guys for their respective teams, or are solid 2nd-pairing guys knocking on the 1st-pairing door.

Not to mention Reinhart is as physically ready if not more-so than any of those players were at his age. As well as the fact that there could be as many as three open slots on the Isles' blue-line heading into 2013-14. Two spots if you assume Streit re-signs(which I think he will). Even if they bring in another UFA or make a trade, I still see guys like Donovan/Mayfield/deHaan having to go through Reinhart for that final roster spot. I see him at least getting 9-games, but in the end wouldn't be shocked if he becomes a perminant part of this defense next season.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:06 PM
arsmaster

Not to mention his salary will be less than his caphit. Isn't that a prerequisite to make the Isles?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:21 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Not to mention his salary will be less than his caphit. Isn't that a prerequisite to make the Isles?
it makes wang happy.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:24 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
It was...

And mayby will be until they actually move to Brooklyn, but when finally in the new arena Wangs finances should become better as far as loses are concerned.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Id kill to have Shultz
So would I! We need him AND a Hamonic type. Neither one of these guys are easy to come by.

Quote:

Hamonic, Nelson, and Reinhart were all very good picks IMO. What a shame that Nelson didn't fall into our laps at #31 in '10

11-25-2012, 02:00 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So would I! We need him AND a Hamonic type. Neither one of these guys are easy to come by.

Hamonic, Nelson, and Reinhart were all very good picks IMO. What a shame that Nelson didn't fall into our laps at #31 in '10
If given the choice, I'm sure we would still have taken Pitlick at that spot anyways.

It's clear we had him rated well into the first round, and maybe even in the top 15, so doubt we would have passed on him either way.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:28 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
I like the isles scouting dept. I think they've done a really good job.

Isles have a lot of promising youngsters and are gonna have some tough decisions over the next few yrs because of their glut of prospects.
Wasnt a knock on their scouting/prospects. The comment was pertaining to the supposed deal in question and my belief that maybe Reinhart by himself isnt that much of a step down from Murray (if at all) to be worth giving up rounds two through seven for. Others may disagree.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
If given the choice, I'm sure we would still have taken Pitlick at that spot anyways.

It's clear we had him rated well into the first round, and maybe even in the top 15, so doubt we would have passed on him either way.
At this point it looks like it would've been the wrong pick and a real black eye for our scouting staff IMO..

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 07:05 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Wasnt a knock on their scouting/prospects. The comment was pertaining to the supposed deal in question and my belief that maybe Reinhart by himself isnt that much of a step down from Murray (if at all) to be worth giving up rounds two through seven for. Others may disagree.
I posted when I first read the rumor, that if the isles did make that offer, I was glad it was rejected. I don't see such a huge drop in talent between Murray and Reinhart.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:08 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
I posted when I first read the rumor, that if the isles did make that offer, I was glad it was rejected. I don't see such a huge drop in talent between Murray and Reinhart.
Plus we got Pelech in the 3rd round, a guy who looks like he can be one of the better players taken in this whole draft.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Griffin definitely is someone the Islanders should be happy with, he has good potential for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
it makes wang happy.

I know who and what you are talking about but I still can't help but get a quick chuckle when I read this out of context lol.

11-25-2012, 10:19 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
It was considered a rather weak draft with all the injuries to prominent prospects. In terms of the d-men, I don't think there was too much that separated the top guys. They each bring something totally different to the table with their skill sets. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out when they're all in the NHL and we can analyze their impact.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:49 AM
SDig14

Quote:
At this point it looks like it would've been the wrong pick and a real black eye for our scouting staff IMO..
The jury is out. Hartikainen is a great pick, guys like Klefbom and Marincin have promise, but we haven't been able to find many role players all that well.

The development of Lander, Pitlick, Paajarvi, etc will be key if one can be a 3rd liner at the next level.

I think the fact we found a gem in Eberle in the last 1/3 of the first round has clouded some judgement as to how good our scouts actually are. That being said, is it better to find 3rd liners half the time or a stud like Eberle every 10 years?

Old
11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
The jury is out. Hartikainen is a great pick, guys like Klefbom and Marincin have promise, but we haven't been able to find many role players all that well.

The development of Lander, Pitlick, Paajarvi, etc will be key if one can be a 3rd liner at the next level.

I think the fact we found a gem in Eberle in the last 1/3 of the first round has clouded some judgement as to how good our scouts actually are. That being said, is it better to find 3rd liners half the time or a stud like Eberle every 10 years?
Hey man, why do you have to hijack the thread? This is about Reinhart, not the Oilers.

To get back on topic... this Reinhart kid is pretty good.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:36 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Hey man, why do you have to hijack the thread? This is about Reinhart, not the Oilers.

To get back on topic... this Reinhart kid is pretty good.
Because we already know Griffin is good, thread is over

Old
11-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:

I love the fact that we have Reinhart and Hamonic. The potential of that pairing is ridiculous, given the size and talent. It's guys like that, that we have needed for so long. Should be a beast pairing.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:

You guys dont have enough young beasts up the middle?! you gotta play the what if game with our hopefully future #2 center...but who knows, Strome seems hell-bent on keeping that spot with how hes playing in jr. BUT, this is about Reinhart and not about snows awful picks of Nino, whos top 10 in AHL scoring or Strome, leading OHL, and def not Nelson who is one of the best rookies in AHL.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:22 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
You guys dont have enough young beasts up the middle?! you gotta play the what if game with our hopefully future #2 center...but who knows, Strome seems hell-bent on keeping that spot with how hes playing in jr. BUT, this is about Reinhart and not about snows awful picks of Nino, whos top 10 in AHL scoring or Strome, leading OHL, and def not Nelson who is one of the best rookies in AHL.
They actually don't have enough young beasts up the middle... the wing yes. Not the middle.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

From all interviews with Stu, etc. sounds like they probably would have taken Pitlick anyways, they were elated to get him at that spot and he's said numerous times they had him ranked way higher than his draft position. Don't think they would have been expressing the same level of excitement if a fellow Minnesota prospect they probably watched just as much, yet had ranked higher than Pitlick, came off the board the pick literally right before.

Of course Nelson is looking like a beast now, but 'tis the nature of prospects. Interesting how Nelson is a '92 and Pitlick is a '91 as well.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote