HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
11-23-2012, 12:44 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Honest question... in this lockout, to what degree are scouts around the NHL even actively scouting pro players like Omark and other fringe NHLers (and potential NHLers)?

I assume there is still scouting going on at the junior levels for the potential upcoming draft but I also assume that scouting has been ratcheted down a notch or maybe even eliminated completely by some teams during this lockout for financial reasons? Anyone have any insight on that. It's slightly off topic but does relate to Omark and others like him whom I assume are obviously trying to be "noticed" and win future NHL jobs.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:00 AM
Ragss

vCash: 500
Just noticed Jussi Markkanen has played some games for Omark's Zug. Good to see him still kicking around.

Ragss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:07 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honest question... in this lockout, to what degree are scouts around the NHL even actively scouting pro players like Omark and other fringe NHLers (and potential NHLers)?

I assume there is still scouting going on at the junior levels for the potential upcoming draft but I also assume that scouting has been ratcheted down a notch or maybe even eliminated completely by some teams during this lockout for financial reasons? Anyone have any insight on that. It's slightly off topic but does relate to Omark and others like him whom I assume are obviously trying to be "noticed" and win future NHL jobs.
I'm pretty sure some have had their pay scaled back a bit but the travel and duties are as per usual. Likely it is one of few "European scouts" that will be watching these games anyways doing both pro/amateur duties. A lot of the prospects play in mens leagues already so it's often 2 birds with 1 stone.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:35 AM
Bergeron47

You also have to assume that if us casual fans can easily notice Omark is outproducing all the NHLers in that league, the guys in the business would notice too.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
You also have to assume that if us casual fans can easily notice Omark is outproducing all the NHLers in that league, the guys in the business would notice too.
They probably do notice the difference between a failed ex-prospect trying desperately trying to resurrect his career, and current NHLers trying to stay in shape and not get injured.

That is, if their Euro scouts see the same things in watching live game action that the casual fan sees in a stat line on a web page.

I foresee maybe a training camp invite or two in his future. Anything more will have to be earned on North American ice.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

Tough to say, even if scouts were cut back which I kinda doubt it's that massive of a cut, you have to remember that there is now other scouts that you never really had in the past that are on payroll that you can send. This is your GM, Assistant Gm, Head Coach, Assistant Coaches etc...

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Thorulf

EV Zug won tonight against SCL Tigers. Omark had two assists.
Zug has now emerged as a top team, now placed a third place. Omarks fine play one of the reasons they are doing good.

(If someone want to uppdate the topic; he has now 24GP 9G 24A 34P. If you include European Throphy he has additional 4GP 1G 7A 8P, making it a total of 28GP 10G 32A 42P)

Last edited by Thorulf: 11-23-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Thorulf

3 more points for Linus tonight. 1G & 2A.
Brunner did also 3 points, leading scoring overall by 1P before Omark.

If he is keeping this pace Oilers will get an first pick for him

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post

If he is keeping this pace Oilers will get an first pick for him
Not a chance in the world - Omark has already demonstrated he can put up points in weaker leagues. He needs to prove he can be a consistent top 6 player in the NHL. Until he does that, his value is probably still just a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

The only way he will emerge as an asset for the Oilers is if he plays up with the big club (if the lockout ever ends) and produces and I think that's an unlikely scenario. If the Oilers didn't have Yakupov coming up this year, it might have made sense to give Omark one more shot in a top role to reestablish some value.

I still see Omark as a Schremp-esque player. He'll show a few signs that he can put up points in the NHL (his 27 points in 51 games with the Oilers in 2010-11 is essentially identical to Schremp's 25 points in 44 games for the Islanders in 2009-10) but he'll never demonstrate the consistency to stick. His future is in Europe where he'll make some decent cash.

Last edited by Cerebral: 11-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Matte99

Omark is ourscoring players like Thorton, Spezza and Nash by a hefty margin. This may be the Swiss league but give him cred for a stunning come back after last years horrible showing. He is on a line which is tearing it up and if this continues through out the season (and NHL starts up next year) it would seem impossible for the red wings not to give him a shot, tossing a 4th round pick Edmontons way.

Wheather Omark has become faster (much needed for the NHL) and improved his shot I dont know.

I wouldnt compare him to Shremp who resently was sent down the KHL minors...

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
Omark is ourscoring players like Thorton, Spezza and Nash by a hefty margin. This may be the Swiss league but give him cred for a stunning come back after last years horrible showing. He is on a line which is tearing it up and if this continues through out the season (and NHL starts up next year) it would seem impossible for the red wings not to give him a shot, tossing a 4th round pick Edmontons way.

Wheather Omark has become faster (much needed for the NHL) and improved his shot I dont know.

Glen Metropolit has 27 points in 23 games and is outscoring guys like Nash, Spezza, and Thornton.

Again, numbers in this league mean absolutely nothing. It's obviously a plus that Omark is putting up points but we can't really read much into it. The NHL players over there obviously aren't working that hard (Thornton might be getting a little older but he's getting outproduced by Marc-Antoine Pouliot who is a point-per-game player in this league as well).

If I'm Detroit, I'm liking Brunner's production but I'm not exactly running to the phone to reunite him with Omark on the big club.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

I would...he's reminds me of Shremp - unable to produce consistently in the NHL. Give him a larger rink, and a softer league and he's fine. Go figure, just like Shremp.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Glen Metropolit has 27 points in 23 games and is outscoring guys like Nash, Spezza, and Thornton.

Again, numbers in this league mean absolutely nothing. It's obviously a plus that Omark is putting up points but we can't really read much into it. The NHL players over there obviously aren't working that hard (Thornton might be getting a little older but he's getting outproduced by Marc-Antoine Pouliot who is a point-per-game player in this league as well).

If I'm Detroit, I'm liking Brunner's production but I'm not exactly running to the phone to reunite him with Omark on the big club.
No one said they will be running to the phone, but Omark is producing at the same level as Zetterberg, playing with Zetterberg and Brunner. Maybe they would click on NHL ice too? For nothing you can try it out and perhaps get a productive 2nd line that costs nothing.... wouldn't you be tempted? Red Wings aren't really shining atm and they have a history of having Swedish players, play to their potential or better.

Im just saying that if this line keep it up all season, i would be suprised if Red Wings didn't feel tempted to give it a try. (of course depending on Zetterbergs impressions etc)

Old
11-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
No one said they will be running to the phone, but Omark is producing at the same level as Zetterberg, playing with Zetterberg and Brunner. Maybe they would click on NHL ice too? For nothing you can try it out and perhaps get a productive 2nd line that costs nothing.... wouldn't you be tempted? Red Wings aren't really shining atm and they have a history of having Swedish players, play to their potential or better.

Im just saying that if this line keep it up all season, i would be suprised if Red Wings didn't feel tempted to give it a try. (of course depending on Zetterbergs impressions etc)
You never know - I'm sure Detroit will at least inquire into Omark's availability. I just don't think they'll be willing to give up anything more than a 4th rounder.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
You never know - I'm sure Detroit will at least inquire into Omark's availability. I just don't think they'll be willing to give up anything more than a 4th rounder.
No, true but i dont think they will have to give up more either.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Will probably be hard to get anymore than a 5th/6th rounder for him. Dude has zero value right now, and ripping up a B-league doesn't say much.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Bergeron47

Was bored a few days ago and was going through the Swiss teams looking for NHLers and their statline. There was one player in particular that must be having a terrible time adjusting:
Max Pacioretty 5GP-1G-0A-1PTS- -2
I know it's only 5 games, but even Del Zotto has 4 pts in 6 games, Kane has 12 in 8.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Matte99

Quote:
Was bored a few days ago and was going through the Swiss teams looking for NHLers and their statline. There was one player in particular that must be having a terrible time adjusting:
I know it's only 5 games, but even Del Zotto has 4 pts in 6 games, Kane has 12 in 8.
Didn't Brule get released from his contract?

Old
11-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
NLA is a pro league after all, it's not that any NHLer is guaranteed to jumpstart at over PPG over there.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Omark should go to Nashville or Detroit, maybe even somewhere like Florida or Anaheim.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:09 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Hey guys sorry to break it to you but Detroit isn't going to trade for Omark. We already have 17, yes 17, NHL ready forwards. Not to mention we already have enough skilled forward prospects (Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, etc.) and we just signed Brunner, who has been tearing up the NLA for years. And my last point to ruin your guys' hope of us trading for Omark is that we just signed Renney as an assistant coach, and from what I've heard he and Omark don't have a good relationship. So in summary, there's basically a 1% chance the Wings trade for Omark.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:34 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Hey guys sorry to break it to you but Detroit isn't going to trade for Omark. We already have 17, yes 17, NHL ready forwards. Not to mention we already have enough skilled forward prospects (Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, etc.) and we just signed Brunner, who has been tearing up the NLA for years. And my last point to ruin your guys' hope of us trading for Omark is that we just signed Renney as an assistant coach, and from what I've heard he and Omark don't have a good relationship. So in summary, there's basically a 1% chance the Wings trade for Omark.
Yeah, we already covered all that earlier in the thread, but hope springs eternal! =D

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
If he was a defenseman it might be a different story right.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Matte99

Quote:
Trading a late pick to add a proven productive line with good chemistry isn't all that far fetched. NHL teams aren't afraid to overload teams to make sure they have a competitive environment. I think Omark would be a good fit with Red Wings but that doesnt mean there arent other options that are equally good or better. Its just that this line is head and shoulders above anything else in that league atm.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:16 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

I think most of us understand it's just a pipe dream. If we manage to trade Omark's rights, I think he'd end up on a team who needs some skill on the wing like a Phoenix, Nashville, Colombus, etc.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote