The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Amazing that Love came back that early.

Wolves weren't making their shots. Malcolm Lee is just awful. Those two are tied together from what I saw.

Shame Roy went out because he was supposed to be the stopgap until Rubio got back. They are missing Buddinger too.

Why didn't they play D. Will? Where was Stiemsma? The bench that was doing so well was pretty bad/quiet.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Buddinger is going to be the player missed the most.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Buddinger is going to be the player missed the most.
No way, Budinger is a good player but he is not more important to the team than Rubio.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
No way, Budinger is a good player but he is not more important to the team than Rubio.
I meant of the players that were hurt this year. Rubio hasn't been a factor this season, so he can't be missed as he hasn't been a part of the game plan. Buddinger definitely of the hurt people so far. Roy was more of a low risk high reward. Stiesma is just there for defense. Pek will play through pain.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:56 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

This Jets-Pats game is hilarious.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I meant of the players that were hurt this year. Rubio hasn't been a factor this season, so he can't be missed as he hasn't been a part of the game plan. Buddinger definitely of the hurt people so far. Roy was more of a low risk high reward. Stiesma is just there for defense. Pek will play through pain.
Got it, misunderstood you there. I'll take it you meant Roy was high risk high reward though? I realize $10 million isn't a huge amount of money but with his knees they took a pretty large risk. Anyone who thought he would be completely healthy this season was kidding themselves.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Better to try than do nothing. *cough* TWINS *cough*

Old
11-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Dee Oh Cee

yeah high risk high reward is much more applicable to the Roy signing. For one thing, he's a starter on the team so it hurts that he's out...another thing its an extremely risky play to sign someone like that who doesn't have an ACL in either knee.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Better to try than do nothing. *cough* TWINS *cough*
Very true, I'm still glad they took the risk. The Twins version of this would have to be the Joel Zumaya signing, it didn't work out but I was glad they took the risk. As you said though, unfortunately the Twins do not take nearly enough chances.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I definitely meant low risk high reward. The second year of the contract isn't guaranteed. So, its only a $5.2 million guaranteed contract. Which isn't much for a former NBA all-star. Even if he turned into a now-Jason Kidd spot shooter, I'd be good with that.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Regardless of what you expect him to be, it's high risk. That point cannot be argued.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Dee Oh Cee

he was a starter. so you're expecting him to be a starter for your team. Just can't expect a guy like him to contribute consistently to the team. It was an extremely risky play to bring him in.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I see it as we're taking a chance on him, but are extremely doubtful he actually comes back to form. If he does, Wolves look like geniuses. If he doesn't, oh well. Thats why there is an out clause in his contract for injuries.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Regardless of what you expect him to be, it's high risk. That point cannot be argued.
The Wolves put in safety valves in the contract, the 2nd year is only guaranteed if Roy plays more than 65 games or 1,400 minutes. Roy was one of 4 rotation caliber guys they added this offseason capable of playing a wing position (Kirilenko, Budinger, Shved and Mr. Level III Degenerative Arthritis himself). Bets were hedged both in terms money and on court production.

$5 million isn't much a far as NBA salaries go, and who starts the game doesn't matter nearly as much as who finishes. The point can certainly be argued. One year of mid level money and a roster spot. That's what the Wolves risked on Roy. You're focusing to much on starter status.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

And Boom goes the Averman.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

looks like the cutlerfish will be in for the bears...can't say that helps our chances.

oh well

Old
11-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman View Post
The Wolves put in safety valves in the contract, the 2nd year is only guaranteed if Roy plays more than 65 games or 1,400 minutes. Roy was one of 4 rotation caliber guys they added this offseason capable of playing a wing position (Kirilenko, Budinger, Shved and Mr. Level III Degenerative Arthritis himself). Bets were hedged both in terms money and on court production.

$5 million isn't much a far as NBA salaries go, and who starts the game doesn't matter nearly as much as who finishes. The point can certainly be argued. One year of mid level money and a roster spot. That's what the Wolves risked on Roy. You're focusing to much on starter status.
Oh I completely agree with you on the points. (and by proxy, probably agree with VS too). What I'm trying to say, is regardless of the details, signing him was a risk. A calculated risk as you certainly made evident by all the information with the contract and everything, but it's risky nonetheless isn't it? I think the Zumaya comparison is quite apt here - sure the Twins didn't lose much with him going down but the fact that they were counting on him to be part of the bullpen is a risk in itself.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Obviously, its a risk. But a limited risk. They aren't paying him un-injured Roy pay and they aren't expecting him to be a go-to player or have a huge role. They weren't about to make Zumaya their closer. Yes, Roy was a starter. But other than the game that he got hurt, he was mostly playing 23-26 minutes a game. Not too much. Played 31 minutes the first game, then didn't reach it again.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Well, regardless, the Wolves played terribly tonight. Another loss and they're down to 5-7.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Yep. Buddinger really needs to hurry up his healing a couple months. They need Rubio back.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been watching a lot of games and enjoying them although I don't really understand. It looks to me like they are having a lot of trouble moving the ball around and sinking their shots. I'd think if they can get Ricky and Shved on the floor at the same time that will help quite a bit. Also AK47 looks fantastic.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Dee Oh Cee

I think they take a few too many 3's for a team that doesn't shoot them well enough. I mean, besides Budinger there really isn't anyone on the team who can reliably shoot the 3 ball (once Love finds his shot, obviously he's another).

Old
11-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Also AK47 looks fantastic.
Yea, that guy can do everything. He has been a godsend for them this year. Without him we'd be looking like the last years Bobcats.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:08 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Great job, NFL. Just keep reviewing the play as many times as it takes until the Bears get the ball back. Ruling on the field confirmed by review? No, no, no, we didn't really mean it that time.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Great job, NFL. Just keep reviewing the play as many times as it takes until the Bears get the ball back. Ruling on the field confirmed by review? No, no, no, we didn't really mean it that time.
I swear that's the most Vikings play possible.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Closed Thread