HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Post-Lockout Strategy

Old
11-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post

The odds are pretty damned good that Toronto (at the very least) will be better, along with the Islanders and Canes. There's a very good chance we won't make the playoffs this year (or whenever we get back to playing).
What is the shorthand for the emoticon featuring a smiley getting an open-palmed slap across the face?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Goof grief. We have no idea if any of our rookies are going to pan out. Ceci is 3 years away minimum, our top defensive rookie/sophomore is out for the year, Wiercoch is still in rebuild mode after his injury...and we have no idea if Ziggy and Silv can adjust to the North American game.

Last year Karlsson had a dream season, we had great goaltending for the first time in years, Alfie & Spezza were relatively healthy...and we still barely squeaked into the playoffs with the 8th seed.

The odds are pretty damned good that Toronto (at the very least) will be better, along with the Islanders and Canes. There's a very good chance we won't make the playoffs this year (or whenever we get back to playing).

Why get saddled with a handful of free agent contracts now? Why not wait for at least another year to see what's going to happen? We don't even know if Alfie will be back this season (if the lockout drags further).

We just need to wait this out a little longer. Give the kids a year to see how they grow in the NHL, then evaulate what we need and make informed decisions from there.
Please guys, let me know how you are able to say things like this... I've been following NHL hockey closely for 20 years and still don't know how to make those kind of predictions...

Please help me out

I stopped reading here too

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:58 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Goof grief. We have no idea if any of our rookies are going to pan out. Ceci is 3 years away minimum, our top defensive rookie/sophomore is out for the year, Wiercoch is still in rebuild mode after his injury...and we have no idea if Ziggy and Silv can adjust to the North American game.

Last year Karlsson had a dream season, we had great goaltending for the first time in years, Alfie & Spezza were relatively healthy...and we still barely squeaked into the playoffs with the 8th seed.

Why get saddled with a handful of free agent contracts now? Why not wait for at least another year to see what's going to happen? We don't even know if Alfie will be back this season (if the lockout drags further).

We just need to wait this out a little longer. Give the kids a year to see how they grow in the NHL, then evaulate what we need and make informed decisions from there.
Ceci is 1-2 years ago from the NHL. Heck, with Cowen down, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play some games in Ottawa if there is no lock-out this year. He is as NHL ready as prospects get. Just case of developing a defensive game suitable for NHL requirements.

Lol, what makes the Leafs better that doesn't make us better? Leafs got JVR.. That's it.

We have an improved Turris who could score 50 points and play solid defensive 2 way game. That is ENORMOUS upgrade to the team compared to last year within itself. We had something along the lines of 2:1 ratio of wins to losses after acquiring Turris. Now imagine a more improved one.

We improved our defense with a much stronger defensive player in Methot, Karlsson will obviously be better, we added depth in Lundin who can even fill in top 4 gaps. Anderson is coming off a brilliant performance last year's second half and playoffs and with more defensive defenders added, I expect his play to be just as good.

Guys like Smith, Silfverberg, Greening all would progress, if the past is any indication.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:20 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Ziggy played guitar...

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:29 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:

I don't see any of them making it, the Isles might make a push, but they won't make it. I'd be more worried about Montreal.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:20 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

2013-14 Ottawa Senators

Greening - Spezza - Perry
Michalek - Turris - Stone
Silfverberg - Regin - Condra
Miller - Smith - Neil
O'Brien

Cowen - Karlsson
Phillips - Edler
Wiercioch - Weaver
Lundin

Lehner
Anderson

Perry
Spezza
Michalek
Neil
Turris
Greening
Regin
Smith
O'Brien
Condra
Silfverberg
Stone
Miller

7.5 + 7.0 + 4.333333 + 1.9 + 3.5 + 0.816667 + 0.8 + 1.8875 + 0.6375 + 0.8 + 0.9 + 0.925 = $31M

Karlsson
Cowen
Phillips
Edler
Wiercioch
Lundin
Weaver (trade with 3rd for Methot)

6.5 + 1.265 + 3.083333 + 6.25 + 0.594167 + 1.15 + 1.1 = $19.9425M

Lehner
Anderson

0.87 + 3.1875 = $4.0575M

= $55M

2013-14 Binghamton Senators

Prince - Zibanejad - Petersson
Puempel - Da Costa - Pageau
Hoffman - Grant - Noesen
Cowick - Cannone - Schneider
Kramer - Hamilton - Culek

Borowiecki - Ceci
Sdao - Gryba
Claesson - Wideman
Blood - Eckford

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
switch Greening and Silfverberg

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:49 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

If that's our roster, I'm confident to say we will contend for the cup. Silfverberg should be on the top line. In 2 years I expect him to be a top 6er. He's already the best forward in Bingo.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:52 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
switch Greening and Silfverberg
I think that line with Greening would require lower activation energy than it would with Silfverberg. The covalent bond that forms with this reaction is possible using Silfverberg but I think using Greening would be a more effective catalyst.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Stop acting smart.

Silfverberg has a great hockey I.Q. that is best used with top talent like Spezza and Perry.

Greening has the speed and muscle to work with either Smith/Neil or Regin/Condra

Old
11-24-2012, 09:06 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Stop acting smart.

Silfverberg has a great hockey I.Q. that is best used with top talent like Spezza and Perry.

Greening has the speed and muscle to work with either Smith/Neil or Regin/Condra
lulz

it's a lame chemistry joke, probably high school level, it's not ''smart''

I think Silf would be good fit with Regin and Condra. Those two aren't super offensive, but they are good at puck possession. So, if they have the puck a lot, but can't finish, I think Silf would be a better fit. They need a sniper.

Spezza and Perry - they can finish. And they are both right handed so a lefty would be good for variety. Greening... if he plays like 2011-12 I would not put him there. But I think he has another level to get at with his puck skills. The speed with Spezza and Perry would nice.

Doesn't really matter, if a combo doesn't work you switch up. No big deal.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:54 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

Karlsson
Cowen
Phillips
Edler
Wiercioch
Lundin
Weaver (trade with 3rd for Methot)
Your hate-on for Marc Methot, without him even having played a single game for the Sens, is well documented... but Mike Weaver?

You know the saying "one step forwards, two back"? That trade is like 1 step backwards, 4 more back.

Also: I'm absolutely on board with making a play for Perry, if he were to become a UFA. I doubt we'd be his first destination, but stranger things have happened... and I'm a big fan of "stranger things" in that scenario. I'm down.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:06 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
lulz

I thought it was both smart (for a hockey board), and funny, but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:13 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Your hate-on for Marc Methot, without him even having played a single game for the Sens, is well documented... but Mike Weaver?

You know the saying "one step forwards, two back"? That trade is like 1 step backwards, 4 more back.

Also: I'm absolutely on board with making a play for Perry, if he were to become a UFA. I doubt we'd be his first destination, but stranger things have happened... and I'm a big fan of "stranger things" in that scenario. I'm down.
Mike Weaver's been 50% of two absolutely terrific pairings over the past few years down in Florida. But that's neither here nor there.

Absolutely love that team, by the way.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:33 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Mike Weaver's been 50% of two absolutely terrific pairings over the past few years down in Florida. But that's neither here nor there.

I'm not saying that Mike Weaver is a bad defenceman, but I am saying:

- Methot is better (though I am fully expecting MAK to disagree with me, considering his Methot-related post history)

- Weaver is going to be 34 at the end of this season (which means the season in which you're planning on acquiring him, the 2013-14 season, he will be 35). Methot will be 27. You're giving up a player entering what should be his prime for a player who is approaching the "potentially rapidly diminishing skills". You're giving up 7 full years of "in his prime" hockey, and downgrading at the same time. It's just bad asset management any way you look at it.

- You are giving up the physicality that Methot brings, and while Weaver isn't a creampuff, he's not exactly a physical
force out there. I know MAK also won't agree with me on this one as well, mostly because physical hockey doesn't matter in his eyes (amongst other things like leadership, experience, hockey sense, anything that isn't statistically measurable). That's his view (as I understand it, at least). He's entitled to that opinion. I'm entitled to mine. They are two contrasting opinions. Life goes on.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:

- Methot is better (though I am fully expecting MAK to disagree with me, considering his Methot-related post history)

- Weaver is going to be 34 at the end of this season (which means the season in which you're planning on acquiring him, the 2013-14 season, he will be 35). Methot will be 27. You're giving up a player entering what should be his prime for a player who is approaching the "potentially rapidly diminishing skills". You're giving up 7 full years of "in his prime" hockey, and downgrading at the same time. It's just bad asset management any way you look at it.

- You are giving up the physicality that Methot brings, and while Weaver isn't a creampuff, he's not exactly a physical
force out there. I know MAK also won't agree with me on this one as well, mostly because physical hockey doesn't matter in his eyes (amongst other things like leadership, experience, hockey sense, anything that isn't statistically measurable). That's his view (as I understand it, at least). He's entitled to that opinion. I'm entitled to mine. They are two contrasting opinions. Life goes on.
Well put

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

With the lockout about to kill this season, I keep looking at Milan's expiring contract at the end of 13-14. We'll probably get a hell of a season out of him, but I'm not sure what he's going to expect when we go to re-sign. I'd like to see Murray either lock him down early or trade him. Can't afford to have him walking. He had a good season last year, maybe he's willing to re-sign early?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
lulz

I think Silf would be good fit with Regin and Condra. Those two aren't super offensive, but they are good at puck possession. So, if they have the puck a lot, but can't finish, I think Silf would be a better fit. They need a sniper.

Spezza and Perry - they can finish. And they are both right handed so a lefty would be good for variety. Greening... if he plays like 2011-12 I would not put him there. But I think he has another level to get at with his puck skills. The speed with Spezza and Perry would nice.

Doesn't really matter, if a combo doesn't work you switch up. No big deal.

That is a good point about having 3 right handed players on one line. Never considered that.

I think I am still of the style of making 2 lines of your best instead of spreading scoring around.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:58 AM
sg58

Quote:
That is a good point about having 3 right handed players on one line. Never considered that.

I think I am still of the style of making 2 lines of your best instead of spreading scoring around.
Is there any indication that three of the same handedness won't work, given that the players are comfortable on their "off" wing? There are tons of examples of lines with three of the same working well.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Having a left handed player rushing up the left side of the ice controling the puck makes it easier for him to keep away from the opponents defence.

Not saying you have to. There are a lot of players that prefer to play on the opposite side, like Kovalev for example.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:57 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:

I don't hate Methot at all.

Weaver is a top 4 D imo. 5'9 defensive D who is better than Methot. He's my hero.

Quote:
I thought it was both smart (for a hockey board), and funny, but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.
why thank you sir

Quote:

this

Quote:

and that's why the trade is Weaver + 3rd for Methot. Propose it on the main boards though and you'll get a bunch of hells no from FLA fans though, so it's a pipe dream.

Weaver truly is awesome. Terrific defensive player.

Quote:
Is there any indication that three of the same handedness won't work, given that the players are comfortable on their "off" wing? There are tons of examples of lines with three of the same working well.
RPG in Anaheim, the Sedin sisters and Ron Weasley's house, etc. It can work. But maybe if Ron's house was right handed, the line would work better, we don't know.

Handedness is more important on the PP, but still I like to see variety 5-on-5 if we can.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:04 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Also, Cowen, Phillips, Edler, Lundin and Wiercioch are all lefties. So, trading Methot for Weaver gives the Sens a 2nd right handed shot.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

If we sign Edler, we are not resigning Lundin