HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
  #526
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk with 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists) against the Peterborough Petes in a 6-1 game, which in the second intermission.

Now tied for 4th in OHL scoring.

AJMHABS is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 07:56 PM
  #527
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Gally with another assist. Make that 4 points.

Now tied for 3rd in league scoring.

AJMHABS is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 09:44 PM
  #528
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Gally with another assist. Make that 4 points.

Now tied for 3rd in league scoring.
Who is that kid? He has legend superstar potential.


Montreal Impact FC is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 10:15 PM
  #529
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,433
vCash: 500
His backhand goal....no words for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vddsu...ayer_embedded#!

Jabba11 is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 11:09 PM
  #530
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
His backhand goal....no words for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vddsu...ayer_embedded#!
Yep that's sickening good. Can't wait to see this kid lighting up the Sabres in a few years! Going to be awesome!













PSYCH!

McTankel is online now  
Old
11-24-2012, 11:20 PM
  #531
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Yep that's sickening good. Can't wait to see this kid lighting up the Sabres in a few years! Going to be awesome!













PSYCH!
I... don't get it?

PyrettaBlaze* is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 11:28 PM
  #532
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I... don't get it?
He is going to be wrecking the Sabres and I am angry that its going to happen. Let me vent.

McTankel is online now  
Old
11-24-2012, 11:54 PM
  #533
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
He is going to be wrecking the Sabres and I am angry that its going to happen. Let me vent.
LOL I read "He's going to be lighting it up FOR the Sabres"!

My bad.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 12:03 AM
  #534
Zathronas
Registered User
 
Zathronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Last time I saw a habs prospect that looked this good he was named Naslund.

Zathronas is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 05:52 AM
  #535
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,852
vCash: 1707
holy **** dat backhand

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 06:32 AM
  #536
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
Last time I saw a habs prospect that looked this good he was named Naslund.
Mats was my favourite player growing up, hopefully Gally will be the next Hab to get to 100 pts in a season, no one has done it since Mats

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:32 AM
  #537
Zathronas
Registered User
 
Zathronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Have fun with rielly lol
I love it when they knock off a prospect and it's hasn't even been a year since the draft.

Bit early don't you think?

Zathronas is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:42 AM
  #538
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Seriously i never tought Galchenyuk would make me consider him NHL ready after the year he had and beginning of the current season... but... he has been absolutely fantastic for the last 20 games... he as a legitimate chance of making the squad if the season resumes... the quantity of highlight real goals and assists he offers cannot be ignored and there is one at least every game

Habs got themself a possible franchise player. No other offensive prospect as even come close.. Andrei Kostitsyn had great talent but we all knew he had a odd attitude questionable desire... and he had raw very raw talent it took him years to adjust his reactions to the nhl level..wich is the complete opposite with Galchenyuk (attitude and work ethic). I am a happy camper.


Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 11-25-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Montreal Impact FC is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:52 AM
  #539
Zathronas
Registered User
 
Zathronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Seriously i never tought Galchenyuk would make me consider him NHL ready after the year he had and beginning of the current season... but... he has been absolutely fantastic for the last 20 games... he as a legitimate chance of making the squad if the season resumes... the quantity of highlight real goals and assists he offers cannot be ignored and there is one at least every game

Habs got themself a possible franchise player. No other offensive prospect as even come close.. Andrei Kostitsyn had great talent but we all knew he was a odd attitude questionable desire... and he had raw very raw talent it took him years to adjust his reactions to the nhl level..wich is the complete opposite with Galchenyuk (attitude and work ethic). I am a happy camper.
I think it's too early to tell. Let's see what he does in WJC. He does looks promising as a said earlier but I would leave him in the minors for the season. Since this was supposed to be a transition year for the habs, I have no problem letting him finish his season in Sarnia. Don't forget, he SHOULD be dominating the ohl at the level he was drafted.

Zathronas is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:57 AM
  #540
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Ours!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,366
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
I think it's too early to tell. Let's see what he does in WJC. He does looks promising as a said earlier but I would leave him in the minors for the season. Since this was supposed to be a transition year for the habs, I have no problem letting him finish his season in Sarnia. Don't forget, he SHOULD be dominating the ohl at the level he was drafted.
This.

A bizarre 40-50 game shortened season with a hectic schedule is not the ideal way to break him into the league. Maybe give him the 9 game trial though. Maybe.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:58 AM
  #541
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Seriously i never tought Galchenyuk would make me consider him NHL ready after the year he had and beginning of the current season... but... he has been absolutely fantastic for the last 20 games... he as a legitimate chance of making the squad if the season resumes... the quantity of highlight real goals and assists is cannot be ignored.

Habs got themself a possible franchise player. No other offensive prospect as even come close.. Andrei Kostitsyn had great talent but we all knew he was a odd attitude questionable desire... and he had raw very raw talent it took him years to adjust his reactions to the nhl level..wich is the complete opposite with with Galchenyuk. I am a happy camper.
After his slow start (4 games) he has 38 points in his last 21 games and 20 points in his last 9 games. He's been directly involved in about 47% of his teams goals (missed one game in which they scored 2 goals). The only player who is ahead of him in that regard seems to be Ryan Strome who is having a fantastic start to the season, but is on a very strong team.

Hopefully he continues to get better. Since he missed pretty much all of last year, he still has some work to do in certain areas, but i'm sure we'll see a large improvement as the season progresses.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 10:07 AM
  #542
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
After his slow start (4 games) he has 38 points in his last 21 games and 20 points in his last 9 games. He's been directly involved in about 47% of his teams goals (missed one game in which they scored 2 goals). The only player who is ahead of him in that regard seems to be Ryan Strome who is having a fantastic start to the season, but is on a very strong team.
The reason why Niagara is doing well is because Strome and Hamilton carry them. They are not a strong team otherwise.

Galchenyuk is playing great though, looks like that lost season hasn't hampered his development.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 10:14 AM
  #543
Zathronas
Registered User
 
Zathronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
The reason why Niagara is doing well is because Strome and Hamilton carry them. They are not a strong team otherwise.

Galchenyuk is playing great though, looks like that lost season hasn't hampered his development.
I never believe that a year without playing can stop a player from progressing. It can affect older players who are in the prime or twilight of their career.

Unless the injury is lingering or the player has reduced mobility, it won't regress potential.

Zathronas is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 10:15 AM
  #544
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,983
vCash: 500
I dipped my balls in cold water so at least 1 hab fan won't have an erection over that backhand goal.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 10:25 AM
  #545
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,433
vCash: 500
Alex Galchenyuk on a Niagara Ice Dog jersey would be insane..lol

Jabba11 is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 10:29 AM
  #546
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
I never believe that a year without playing can stop a player from progressing. It can affect older players who are in the prime or twilight of their career.

Unless the injury is lingering or the player has reduced mobility, it won't regress potential.
I disagree. Lost development time during your draft year or before making the NHL is more important than a lost year during a player's prime. Losing a year in the infancy of a career can have a major impact on future development and growth. History is littered with promising prospects derailed by injury.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 10:37 AM
  #547
Zathronas
Registered User
 
Zathronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I disagree. Lost development time during your draft year or before making the NHL is more important than a lost year during a player's prime. Losing a year in the infancy of a career can have a major impact on future development and growth. History is littered with promising prospects derailed by injury.
And as I said it depend on the nature of the injury. reduce mobility vision etc... is usually the culprit not the time off. If the player comes back 100% the time off does not affect his progress.

Zathronas is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
  #548
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
And as I said it depend on the nature of the injury. reduce mobility vision etc... is usually the culprit not the time off. If the player comes back 100% the time off does not affect his progress.
Again, I disagree with you. While the type of injury certainly is an important factor, missing those reps at this early stage of a prospect's career does have an impact. Some more than others, but it does. I don't think you can so nonchalantly dismiss that.

It's a testament to Galchenyuk that he hasn't missed a beat, but he had to play catch up no matter how you slice it.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 11:10 AM
  #549
Zathronas
Registered User
 
Zathronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Again, I disagree with you. While the type of injury certainly is an important factor, missing those reps at this early stage of a prospect's career does have an impact. Some more than others, but it does. I don't think you can so nonchalantly dismiss that.

It's a testament to Galchenyuk that he hasn't missed a beat, but he had to play catch up no matter how you slice it.
I believe people over emphasize the time off to injuries. Sports medicine has progressed greatly the last 20 years, for detecting and treating injuries. Case in point, look at the rash of prospect with injuries drafted last year.

What I'm trying to say here is that although he had to catch up to others, it did not affect his potential. Same with various other prospect (Reilly comes to mind)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this

Zathronas is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 11:28 AM
  #550
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
I believe people over emphasize the time off to injuries. Sports medicine has progressed greatly the last 20 years, for detecting and treating injuries. Case in point, look at the rash of prospect with injuries drafted last year.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this
I think there is a disconnect in our arguments. You get no argument from me that medicine has come a long way, but that's not what I've been addressing.

The ACL injury didn't concern me in regards to Galchenyuk before the draft. He essentially missed an entire year of playing and being on the ice, being in situations, working on his game, etc., etc., etc. In the grand scheme of things, that's like missing your junior year in HS and being expected to immediate re-join your peers in the next grade and excel (according to his draft position). Unless you're Sheldon Cooper, you're going to have to catch up and you're at an immediate disadvantage. That's my point to this.

By the looks of things, Galchenyuk seems to have overcome that and in a very short period of time. Good for him, but not completely unexpected. It is arguable that he was the cream of the crop in his 16 year old season and that the lost year let others catch up to him. Only time will tell how things play out, but he's looking very impressive.

PWJunior is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.