HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 08:41 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
Not as gritty as Gallagher, huge upside too.
Gallagher can play bottom six if he can't make it into a scoring role. The same can't be said about JG. He'll really boom or bust.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:53 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Gallagher can play bottom six if he can't make it into a scoring role. The same can't be said about JG. He'll really boom or bust.
Maybe, but Gaudreau is a lot more skilled. Much more upside to him.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
And this point of view is based on hard science, I bet.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Name a single 5'8'' bottom 6 forward without a physical/defensive element to his game?

Old
11-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
Maybe, but Gaudreau is a lot more skilled. Much more upside to him.
Didn't Gallagher had three straight 40+ goals seasons?

And he's currently doing quite well in the AHL. Most Habs fan pencil him as a good 2nd line winger that could give you 30/30 seasons. A more talented, grittier version of Gionta.

What's Gaudreau's upside? Because being that much more skilled than Gallagher implies that he could become a PPG player in the big league.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:32 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Didn't Gallagher had three straight 40+ goals seasons?

And he's currently doing quite well in the AHL. Most Habs fan pencil him as a good 2nd line winger that could give you 30/30 seasons. A more talented, grittier version of Gionta.

What's Gaudreau's upside? Because being that much more skilled than Gallagher implies that he could become a PPG player in the big league.
He projects to be a first line forward if he reaches his peak, many Flames fans believe he is more skilled than Sven just depends on him translating.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
He's doing pretty well in the AHL, and very well might be a 2nd line winger if he continues his development. Gionta is a good comparison...but he'd be a slower, more in your face version with not as hard as a slapper and perhaps not as gifted hand-eye wise. I can't really say he's more talented but if he develops into anything close to a Gionta Habs fans will be thrilled.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:58 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
He projects to be a first line forward if he reaches his peak, many Flames fans believe he is more skilled than Sven just depends on him translating.
Those flames fans would be wrong.

Gaudreau is a very good player, but Baertschi is on a whole other talent level.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:04 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Actually it's based on my observations from when he played for the Giants. Plays a lot like Gerber. He just is taller than Gerber by 3-4 inches.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post

No they aren't. I can see it being debatable, but Gaudreau in terms of pure talent is right there with Baertschi if not better. The biggest difference between the pair is Baertschi at this point appears he will be at worst a 2nd line winger. With Gaudreau he will still have to see how his size plays an impact, so his downside is possibly not being an NHLer.

Gaudreau has also shown a clutch ability to score that Baertschi hasn't shown. Gaudreau has more game winning goals this year for Boston College in 11 games than Baertschi had all of last season. Gaudreau has also won a league championship in each of his past 2 years being the MVP for both teams and looks to be on track to do it again. Sven was never able to lead a stacked Portland team to a league Championship in 2 tries in the WHL championship series.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:39 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
No they aren't. I can see it being debatable, but Gaudreau in terms of pure talent is right there with Baertschi if not better. The biggest difference between the pair is Baertschi at this point appears he will be at worst a 2nd line winger. With Gaudreau he will still have to see how his size plays an impact, so his downside is possibly not being an NHLer.

Gaudreau has also shown a clutch ability to score that Baertschi hasn't shown. Gaudreau has more game winning goals this year for Boston College in 11 games than Baertschi had all of last season. Gaudreau has also won a league championship in each of his past 2 years being the MVP for both teams and looks to be on track to do it again. Sven was never able to lead a stacked Portland team to a league Championship in 2 tries in the WHL championship series.
Clutch ability to score? Baertschi lead the playoffs in scoring.

After seeing both players on the same ice surface, it really wasnt even close to me. They have similar talent, but Baertschi just does it easier. He oozed talent and explosiveness that Gaudreau just didn't.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:

After seeing both players on the same ice surface, it really wasnt even close to me. They have similar talent, but Baertschi just does it easier. He oozed talent and explosiveness that Gaudreau just didn't.
Sure he produced in the post season, but playoff points is not the same as scoring when your team needs it the most. Sven was shutout in games 6 & 7 against Edmonton in the finals last year.

I am also not saying Sven has no clutch ability, in fact I think he will be a decent clutch performer for the Flames but Gaudreau's ability to score a big goal or make a big play to set up a big goal is off the charts.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:56 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:

Not really man, their talent levels are very similar, it's just that we know with some certainty that Sven's talent will translate to the NHL and John is a bit of a wildcard due to his size.

Anyone who's seen Gaudreau play has said his talent level is a 10/10, so no, Sven is not on a whole other talent level.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:30 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Talent can be acknowledged in may different ways. Offensively, Gaudreau is without a doubt in the same ballpark as Sven in terms of upside and ability. When it comes to other areas of the game however Baertschi is far more refined and as a result his upside as a complete player is significantly higher and more attainable.

If they both were to hit there "up most" potential it would then be like comparing Patrick Kane to Marian Hossa. For me personally I take the Hossa type player everyday of the week.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

@ HLF, hopefully were in a position to them both

Old
11-25-2012, 12:13 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
@ HLF, hopefully were in a position to them both
Wouldn't that be nice?
I think it's about time we start seeing some high end players come out of this organization on a consistent basis.

From the very start I have taken a "wait and see" approach with Gaudreau, but I must admit that it is becoming increasingly difficult to muzzle my optimism at this point. I am really looking forward to seeing what he can accomplish at the WJC's this year.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:24 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Name a single 5'8'' bottom 6 forward without a physical/defensive element to his game?
Edit; nevermind, misread.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
Quote:

I totally disagree with you here. Sven is going to be a very good player but skill wise he does not measure up to Gaudreau, not even that close actually. If Gaudreau can translate his game into the NHL I have zero doubt he will be the Flames future leading scorer year after year. Kid has off the chart skill.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Zathronas

got a question for Flames fan, Why are they always going off the board with long term prospect?

Do management think the crop of star players at the NHL level will still be going strong in 7-8 years? That's my problem with picks like Jankowski and Gaudreau. They may pan out, but not for a long time.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Haatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
got a question for Flames fan, Why are they always going off the board with long term prospect?

Do management think the crop of star players at the NHL level will still be going strong in 7-8 years? That's my problem with picks like Jankowski and Gaudreau. They may pan out, but not for a long time.
gaudreau was a 4th round pick. not exactly "off the board".

jankowski was going in th first or early second. So wasnt much of a reach at 21 either. HF likes to hate on flames. Seems like popular thing to do.

If u want high end talent but never pick top 5 these boom/bust typeare best way.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:07 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

No they are aren't as you can see there are a few who believe he is more skilled.

Sven is better defensively but JG probably is a more gifted offensive player.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:11 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

As Haatley said JG was a 4th round pick that isn't off the board, and there were 2 other teams willing to take Janko in the first round right after the Flames so he was going in the first. Many say that Janko is comparable to Bjugstad who is arguably the top center in the NCAA he was also drafted out of high school and took half a season to transition to the NCAA. Why would the Flames take Janko because he is follows Bjugstad he could be a top center prospect.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Zathronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
gaudreau was a 4th round pick. not exactly "off the board".

jankowski was going in th first or early second. So wasnt much of a reach at 21 either. HF likes to hate on flames. Seems like popular thing to do.

If u want high end talent but never pick top 5 these boom/bust typeare best way.
I don't hate the Flames, I'm just perplexed by some of their choices. You have to admit their track record isn't the best in the NHL. That being said they did alright in recent years.

I'm not saying Jankowski is a bust, I do think he has great potential. It's just that I think Calgary should go for more polished prospect as they will sorely need help sooner rather then later.

and your right 4 round isn't bad I thought he was drafted sooner.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Haatley

Quote:
I don't hate the Flames, I'm just perplexed by some of their choices. You have to admit their track record isn't the best in the NHL. That being said they did alright in recent years.

I'm not saying Jankowski is a bust, I do think he has great potential. It's just that I think Calgary should go for more polished prospect as they will sorely need help sooner rather then later.

and your right 4 round isn't bad I thought he was drafted sooner.
Is it really that bad? Chucko and pelech busted hard. But phaneuf is an nhl captain. Tim erixon is a top d prospect. Nemisz an still be a good 3rd liner. They rarely have had 2nd round picks. With their third a few years ago they nabbed max reinhart who looks good. Brodie was a 4th rounder who looks good. Sven is a stud.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
apparently 5'7'' 150 now.
If he puts on another 35 pounds he'll be great...

Closed Thread