Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XX-Time for Rebuilding

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Jeff from Maine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
This. A Gomes/Nava platoon could conceivably be fairly productive.
For Gods sake...no more Daniel Nava.

It gets so old watching him hit .480 for the first 7 weeks he is up....then end up at .250.

He has no future with this franchise. He is what, 30 now? Great story... Grand slam on first MLB pitch he saw. Started out hot in a couple seasons. Awesome.

Better options, IMHO would be Kalish, Brentz, Hazelbaker and Linares, if he is still around.

Later

Old
11-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Jeff from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Lincecum is a Poor example this year but it kind of proves my point. Those pitchers are "great" because of the lineups they face. The NL on the whole has weaker lineups which lead to inflated pitching staffs. Look at CC sabathias stats in milwaukee. Stanton hasnt had to face deep rotations in the NL, more often than not hitters have a difficult time adjusting to the AL.

Also compared to what the jays have up, bogaerts, middlebrooks and salty was way more value then Henderson Alvarez and company. If that's what the marlins wanted from the sox, it's obvious they lowered their price for toronto
Your using an 11 game sample size? He has had multiple 11 games streteches with NYY and Cleveland that equal what he did in Milwaukee for those 11 games.

But its good to note that you believe that the NL does not have a single great pitcher.

Wow.

Later

Old
11-25-2012, 10:31 AM
CDJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine View Post
For Gods sake...no more Daniel Nava.

It gets so old watching him hit .480 for the first 7 weeks he is up....then end up at .250.

He has no future with this franchise. He is what, 30 now? Great story... Grand slam on first MLB pitch he saw. Started out hot in a couple seasons. Awesome.

Better options, IMHO would be Kalish, Brentz, Hazelbaker and Linares, if he is still around.

Later
Nava gets on base at a ridiculous clip and fares much better against righties than lefties. He OPS'd right around .800 off of righties this year and hit .185 against lefties. You replace that .185 with Jonny Gomes against lefties and the production will be very good (and cheap) coming out of left field. Hazelbaker would not be a better option. There is a reason why he wasn't protected from the Rule 5 draft and Hassan was. Plus he is already 25-26 and strikes out at a Bellhornian rate (note: he is one of my favorite prospects due to his intriguing speed/power combo, but he is maddeningly inconsistent at the minor league level)

Linares himself is 28, so he is pretty much in the same class as Nava, except he hasn't done **** at the major league level. Brentz needs way more seasoning. He is absolutely not a better option for this year, and if you think so you are taking crazy pills. Nava got on base at a better rate in the majors than Brentz did in AA/AAA combined this past year. That isn't to say Brentz won't be a good player, he simply isn't even close to ready yet and needs to work on his approach.

Kalish has not done anything in the majors yet except get hurt. I love the way he plays, but to rely on him would be stupid because he has not strung a full season together since 2009.

Nava is our best internal option in LF, simply for the fact he plays not retarded defense and gets on base at an above average rate. I agree that he doesn't necessarily have a future with the club, but he should definitely be on the team and platooning in left unless we sign somebody else.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:36 AM
CDJ*

If the Sox don't feel comfortable going 4 for Napoli, we should just throw a one year deal to Carlos Pena and hope he rebounds. Platoon him with Jerry Sands, with Pena sitting against lefties.

(BTW, cannot believe Pena wasn't a top 3 finish for MVP in 2007. Talk about getting jobbed.)

Old
11-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Pena absolutly sucks.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:04 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

I'm not really up on baseball prospects...so anyone who follows that kind of stuff, how is this draft looking? Who is projected to be the number one pick? Is it deep or top-heavy? More pitching or hitting? Thanks.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:10 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Pena absolutly sucks.
Yeah that 120 career OPS+ blows...even this past year when it seemed like he was atrocious he was barely below league-average (OPS+ of 94).

Personally, I don't want him unless it was a 1 year deal since it is very possible, at the age of 34, his days of being a useful player are over, but to say he sucks isn't true. He has had 2 below average years in his 12 seasons in the league, and one of those was in 2006 when he had all of 37 plate appearances with Boston.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:20 AM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Yeah that 120 career OPS+ blows...even this past year when it seemed like he was atrocious he was barely below league-average (OPS+ of 94).

Personally, I don't want him unless it was a 1 year deal since it is very possible, at the age of 34, his days of being a useful player are over, but to say he sucks isn't true. He has had 2 below average years in his 12 seasons in the league, and one of those was in 2006 when he had all of 37 plate appearances with Boston.
I didn't even realize he was a free agent, but he'd be a good low-risk pick up.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:24 AM
CDJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I'm not really up on baseball prospects...so anyone who follows that kind of stuff, how is this draft looking? Who is projected to be the number one pick? Is it deep or top-heavy? More pitching or hitting? Thanks.
Lot of talented high school catchers. It looks like it is going to be an OF and Pitchig dominated draft.

If I had to take somebody at #1, I'd probably choose either:

Austin Meadows HS OF committed to Clemson: He can play all 3 OF spots, has a legitimate 5 tools.

Ryne Stanek or Mark Appel: RHP's out of Arkansas and Stanford respectively. You may already know about Appel since it was a bit of a surprise the Astros did not pick him at #1. Stanek was signed up to play for the Cape League team that I am employed by, but he went and pitched for Team USA instead. Both are tall, with Stanek being the lankier of the two (and thus, he probably has more projection as he fills out). Both can dial their fastballs up into the high 90's- generally sitting 93-95, with Stanek topping out at 97 and Appel topping out at 99 (clocked at that while pitching for team USA). Can't really go wrong with either.

Austin Wilson: Huge outfielder, also goes to Stanford. Has a lot of power and great discipline at the plate. Saw him make a couple diving catches out in RF this summer too. Very impressive physical specimen.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:00 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
They sign Napoli for a fourth year they are insane....I'm lukewarm on him to begin with but four years this is a baseball equivalent to Michael Ryder

Old
11-25-2012, 12:05 PM
CDJ*

^That is a very apt comparison IMO

While Ryder was frustrating as all hell most of the time here, it did really pay off in the end and we would not have one the cup without him. Maybe the same can happen here (after all, we did sign Ryder after our Lewis season- I believe- to play for/reunite him with Julien. We should sign Napoli after our Valentine season and reunite him with Farrell- people forget that Napoli was a Blue Jay for a little bit in the offseason before he got traded to the Rangers so he probably has some familiarity with Farrell)

I have no problem with a 4 year deal for Napoli. It just can't be for anything more than 7 per

Old
11-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Napoli was a Blue Jay for not even a week may have been a day and the Jays only traded for him because they knew they had a deal in place with Texas

I'm sure they told Napoli he was leaving the second they got him doubt Farrel talked to him.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:13 PM
CDJ*

Yeah, no duh, he never played for them but they definitely have some sort of familiarity with one another.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Yeah, no duh, he never played for them but they definitely have some sort of familiarity with one another.
Im saying Farrel had no reason to talk to him it was just about a three team trade, Napoli isn't going to take time in his offseason to talk to his 20 hour manager, I doubt they talked there was no reason to.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:40 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

napoli was a jay for four days in january of 2011.

farrell had just been hired as the jays manager.

while they might have exchanged pleasantries in the past, i would highly doubt that they said "boo" to each other between january 21 and 25, 2011.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
They sign Napoli for a fourth year they are insane....I'm lukewarm on him to begin with but four years this is a baseball equivalent to Michael Ryder
Agreed but we have seen worst ideas ( signing Valentine, anyone?) when ownership is involve. If Napoli sign with the Sox, i'm seeing 3 years with an higher average per year. To me, there's way too much question marks at the plate. Some pitchers have the potential to be good but it remain to be seen if this potential could translate into results. If i'm the Sox, i'm looking for certainty instead of question marks.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:40 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
We need some more pop in the lineup, Ortiz goes down and we are ****ed.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

I don't see what the problem is with a 3 year deal witha performance triggered 4th year personally.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Were in talks with Swisher its on csnne.com I dont have the Link.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston...67&feedID=3352

Old
11-25-2012, 06:53 PM
CDJ*

Would be a hell of a pickup at the right price. He wanted a 100+ million dollar deal, but those demands were always pretty ludicrous.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:58 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
blah. Don't want Swisher. Yankee fans wanted him gone badly.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:19 PM
kman22

I hope not. When you are rebuilding, you need draft picks. Giving up a high 2nd for a guy that won't be around when you are in contention is counter productive. Stay away.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

I really do not want Swisher and if we have to give up a draft pick it is a horrible move.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:34 PM
24giovanni

PARIRROJAS NEWS: # RedSox close to signing Mike Napoli, after meeting with the player this weekend. # MLB # RedSoxNation

Closed Thread