HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CFL thread - Toronto v. Hamilton, East Final.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2012, 01:05 AM
  #126
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
8 teams is a little low, but considering you only play 18 games you only play each team 2-3 teams at most its not that bad but i think 10 teams would be the ideal number of teams in the league.

ottawa coming back is 9, hopefully an additional team joins some time soon.

take the nfl, 30 odd teams but only 16 games, means you only play certain teams 1nce every 3 years
The CFL's perfect size would be either 10 or 12 teams. So much untapped potential lies in Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax/Moncton, Victoria and London/KW. I'd personally love to see the league look like:

East:
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax/Atlantic

West:
BC (Vancouver)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
Victoria

This would make the league more fun to watch from a fans perspective and would bring a ton of additional revenue into the league. Plus in cities like Quebec City, Halifax and Victoria the CFL would be King and they'd have the opportunity to create a Hamilton or Saskatchewan-like fanbase.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:16 AM
  #127
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The CFL's perfect size would be either 10 or 12 teams. So much untapped potential lies in Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax/Moncton, Victoria and London/KW. I'd personally love to see the league look like:

East:
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax/Atlantic

West:
BC (Vancouver)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
Victoria

This would make the league more fun to watch from a fans perspective and would bring a ton of additional revenue into the league. Plus in cities like Quebec City, Halifax and Victoria the CFL would be King and they'd have the opportunity to create a Hamilton or Saskatchewan-like fanbase.
Looks great.

Might have some trouble convincing MTL and BC but it would benifit the leaue for sure.




edit: This could be an avenue to just to get Balsilie into the sports franchise ownership club. Convince him that starting small, yet still professional is good for the future.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:53 AM
  #128
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The CFL's perfect size would be either 10 or 12 teams. So much untapped potential lies in Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax/Moncton, Victoria and London/KW. I'd personally love to see the league look like:

East:
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax/Atlantic

West:
BC (Vancouver)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
Victoria

This would make the league more fun to watch from a fans perspective and would bring a ton of additional revenue into the league. Plus in cities like Quebec City, Halifax and Victoria the CFL would be King and they'd have the opportunity to create a Hamilton or Saskatchewan-like fanbase.
It sounds good in theory but I'd don't think there is enough talent to go around. It would just make for a poorer product.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:56 AM
  #129
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Argos are gonna win in a high scoring affair...IMO. 38-24.
Ricky Ray...MVP.
I'll go Argos win 32 - 28.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:36 AM
  #130
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Looks great.

Might have some trouble convincing MTL and BC but it would benifit the leaue for sure.




edit: This could be an avenue to just to get Balsilie into the sports franchise ownership club. Convince him that starting small, yet still professional is good for the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It sounds good in theory but I'd don't think there is enough talent to go around. It would just make for a poorer product.
There may be the talent as teams would have a bit more money to spend and they may be able to lure lower end players (2nd + 3rd string) guys from the NFL. The major hurdle would be finding owners and building the stadiums needed to house the teams. It would take a ton of work and years of development for this to actually take flight. I think that we'll actually see a 10 team league soon; 12 teams may be too many. There is very little reason that Quebec City shouldn't have a team. A city with 700,000 people can easily house a CFL team.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:40 AM
  #131
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
There may be the talent as teams would have a bit more money to spend and they may be able to lure lower end players (2nd + 3rd string) guys from the NFL. The major hurdle would be finding owners and building the stadiums needed to house the teams. It would take a ton of work and years of development for this to actually take flight. I think that we'll actually see a 10 team league soon; 12 teams may be too many. There is very little reason that Quebec City shouldn't have a team. A city with 700,000 people can easily house a CFL team.
They would need a more than a bit more. Practice squad players make more in the NFL than the CFL, never mind 2nd/3rd stringers.

I agree that Quebec City and Halifax would be great markets.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:52 AM
  #132
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
They would need a more than a bit more. Practice squad players make more in the NFL than the CFL, never mind 2nd/3rd stringers.

I agree that Quebec City and Halifax would be great markets.
I guess it's just wishful thinking that some guys might want to come up here and actually play rather than ride the pine in the NFL. I guess the money is a big factor for them since their careers are so short.

Would Victoria ever be able to house a team? There'd be need for a 6th team in the West division and I can't think of another city suitable to carry a team. Victoria has around 400,000 people in their CMA, but getting there could be tough.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:03 AM
  #133
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I guess it's just wishful thinking that some guys might want to come up here and actually play rather than ride the pine in the NFL. I guess the money is a big factor for them since their careers are so short.

Would Victoria ever be able to house a team? There'd be need for a 6th team in the West division and I can't think of another city suitable to carry a team. Victoria has around 400,000 people in their CMA, but getting there could be tough.
I think for most of the Practice squad guys they do it in hopes of one day getting the call up to play in the NFL.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:35 AM
  #134
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I think for most of the Practice squad guys they do it in hopes of one day getting the call up to play in the NFL.
Yeah. Longshot dreams though. They could get better recognition in the CFL and make a name for themselves.

TSN just had a brief segment about expansion and said that the CFL is exploring the idea of a 10 team league and will begin in-depth research on the Quebec City, Halifax and Moncton markets. Good news for those cities, although I don't think Moncton will get a team. Seeing a team in Quebec City and/or Halifax would be fantastic! I really hope this happens.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:25 AM
  #135
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Yeah. Longshot dreams though. They could get better recognition in the CFL and make a name for themselves.

TSN just had a brief segment about expansion and said that the CFL is exploring the idea of a 10 team league and will begin in-depth research on the Quebec City, Halifax and Moncton markets. Good news for those cities, although I don't think Moncton will get a team. Seeing a team in Quebec City and/or Halifax would be fantastic! I really hope this happens.
I bet a much higher percentage of players go from a practice squad to the NFL then come out of the CFL. I don't think it would even be close.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:38 AM
  #136
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Yeah. Longshot dreams though. They could get better recognition in the CFL and make a name for themselves.

TSN just had a brief segment about expansion and said that the CFL is exploring the idea of a 10 team league and will begin in-depth research on the Quebec City, Halifax and Moncton markets. Good news for those cities, although I don't think Moncton will get a team. Seeing a team in Quebec City and/or Halifax would be fantastic! I really hope this happens.
It's hard to take expansion seriously when they've talked about it since the 80's. They claim they're doing research on it, but haven't they by now already?

I hope they do expand, but how long is this going to take?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:11 AM
  #137
MarcWagz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
woot grey cup is today
having a party with chilli and nachos and gonna watch the game, gonna be cool!
arrgoooos

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:15 AM
  #138
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
woot grey cup is today
having a party with chilli and nachos and gonna watch the game, gonna be cool!
arrgoooos
Good Luck ARGOS.....Should be a great game.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:17 AM
  #139
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider
 
L Corncrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Funk
Country: St Vincent and the Grenadines
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Whacha gonna do??? when the STAMPEDE runs wild over you???

Cornish is unstoppable.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:49 AM
  #140
flameaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
Going down Toronto!

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW...


flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:56 AM
  #141
MarcWagz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Corncrick View Post
Whacha gonna do??? when the STAMPEDE runs wild over you???

Cornish is unstoppable.
cept he was stopped the last couple times he played the argos!

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:01 PM
  #142
MiniMoose
Registered User
 
MiniMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Go Stamps Go

MiniMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:03 PM
  #143
Brody
$$
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 7,508
vCash: 560
You Stampeders fans are in the wrong thread, return to your two page thread which was started in September, please.

Ps, be ready for Owens to abuse you guys tonight.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:07 PM
  #144
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,311
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
edit: This could be an avenue to just to get Balsilie into the sports franchise ownership club. Convince him that starting small, yet still professional is good for the future.
Im guessing you havent been following blackberry recently... Really doubt he has the disposable income for a professional sports team at the moment.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:09 PM
  #145
Brody
$$
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 7,508
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The CFL's perfect size would be either 10 or 12 teams. So much untapped potential lies in Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax/Moncton, Victoria and London/KW. I'd personally love to see the league look like:

East:
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax/Atlantic

West:
BC (Vancouver)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
Victoria

This would make the league more fun to watch from a fans perspective and would bring a ton of additional revenue into the league. Plus in cities like Quebec City, Halifax and Victoria the CFL would be King and they'd have the opportunity to create a Hamilton or Saskatchewan-like fanbase.
Ottawa is already getting a team, they'll enter the league in two seasons if I remember correctly.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:42 PM
  #146
Leafs For Life*
Nothing
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Anyone know what channel and time it is on for Rogers??

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:51 PM
  #147
Brody
$$
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 7,508
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Anyone know what channel and time it is on for Rogers??
TSN 6 pm.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:21 PM
  #148
Leafs For Life*
Nothing
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
TSN 6 pm.
Thank you

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:31 PM
  #149
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 500
So pumped for the game tonight! Owens is going to own the Stamps!

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:35 PM
  #150
Leafs For Life*
Nothing
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
I love how we would be on version 2142 if this was Stanley cup for Leafs, but only on page 6 for CFL lol.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.