HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CFL thread - Toronto v. Hamilton, East Final.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:05 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
8 teams is a little low, but considering you only play 18 games you only play each team 2-3 teams at most its not that bad but i think 10 teams would be the ideal number of teams in the league.

ottawa coming back is 9, hopefully an additional team joins some time soon.

take the nfl, 30 odd teams but only 16 games, means you only play certain teams 1nce every 3 years
The CFL's perfect size would be either 10 or 12 teams. So much untapped potential lies in Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax/Moncton, Victoria and London/KW. I'd personally love to see the league look like:

East:
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax/Atlantic

West:
BC (Vancouver)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
Victoria

This would make the league more fun to watch from a fans perspective and would bring a ton of additional revenue into the league. Plus in cities like Quebec City, Halifax and Victoria the CFL would be King and they'd have the opportunity to create a Hamilton or Saskatchewan-like fanbase.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:16 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The CFL's perfect size would be either 10 or 12 teams. So much untapped potential lies in Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax/Moncton, Victoria and London/KW. I'd personally love to see the league look like:

East:
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax/Atlantic

West:
BC (Vancouver)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
Victoria

This would make the league more fun to watch from a fans perspective and would bring a ton of additional revenue into the league. Plus in cities like Quebec City, Halifax and Victoria the CFL would be King and they'd have the opportunity to create a Hamilton or Saskatchewan-like fanbase.
Looks great.

Might have some trouble convincing MTL and BC but it would benifit the leaue for sure.

edit: This could be an avenue to just to get Balsilie into the sports franchise ownership club. Convince him that starting small, yet still professional is good for the future.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:53 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

East:
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax/Atlantic

West:
BC (Vancouver)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
Victoria

It sounds good in theory but I'd don't think there is enough talent to go around. It would just make for a poorer product.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:56 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Argos are gonna win in a high scoring affair...IMO. 38-24.
Ricky Ray...MVP.
I'll go Argos win 32 - 28.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:36 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Looks great.

Might have some trouble convincing MTL and BC but it would benifit the leaue for sure.

edit: This could be an avenue to just to get Balsilie into the sports franchise ownership club. Convince him that starting small, yet still professional is good for the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It sounds good in theory but I'd don't think there is enough talent to go around. It would just make for a poorer product.
There may be the talent as teams would have a bit more money to spend and they may be able to lure lower end players (2nd + 3rd string) guys from the NFL. The major hurdle would be finding owners and building the stadiums needed to house the teams. It would take a ton of work and years of development for this to actually take flight. I think that we'll actually see a 10 team league soon; 12 teams may be too many. There is very little reason that Quebec City shouldn't have a team. A city with 700,000 people can easily house a CFL team.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:40 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
There may be the talent as teams would have a bit more money to spend and they may be able to lure lower end players (2nd + 3rd string) guys from the NFL. The major hurdle would be finding owners and building the stadiums needed to house the teams. It would take a ton of work and years of development for this to actually take flight. I think that we'll actually see a 10 team league soon; 12 teams may be too many. There is very little reason that Quebec City shouldn't have a team. A city with 700,000 people can easily house a CFL team.
They would need a more than a bit more. Practice squad players make more in the NFL than the CFL, never mind 2nd/3rd stringers.

I agree that Quebec City and Halifax would be great markets.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:52 AM
smitty10

Quote:
They would need a more than a bit more. Practice squad players make more in the NFL than the CFL, never mind 2nd/3rd stringers.

I agree that Quebec City and Halifax would be great markets.
I guess it's just wishful thinking that some guys might want to come up here and actually play rather than ride the pine in the NFL. I guess the money is a big factor for them since their careers are so short.

Would Victoria ever be able to house a team? There'd be need for a 6th team in the West division and I can't think of another city suitable to carry a team. Victoria has around 400,000 people in their CMA, but getting there could be tough.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:03 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
I guess it's just wishful thinking that some guys might want to come up here and actually play rather than ride the pine in the NFL. I guess the money is a big factor for them since their careers are so short.

Would Victoria ever be able to house a team? There'd be need for a 6th team in the West division and I can't think of another city suitable to carry a team. Victoria has around 400,000 people in their CMA, but getting there could be tough.
I think for most of the Practice squad guys they do it in hopes of one day getting the call up to play in the NFL.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:35 AM
smitty10

Quote:
I think for most of the Practice squad guys they do it in hopes of one day getting the call up to play in the NFL.
Yeah. Longshot dreams though. They could get better recognition in the CFL and make a name for themselves.

TSN just had a brief segment about expansion and said that the CFL is exploring the idea of a 10 team league and will begin in-depth research on the Quebec City, Halifax and Moncton markets. Good news for those cities, although I don't think Moncton will get a team. Seeing a team in Quebec City and/or Halifax would be fantastic! I really hope this happens.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:25 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Yeah. Longshot dreams though. They could get better recognition in the CFL and make a name for themselves.

TSN just had a brief segment about expansion and said that the CFL is exploring the idea of a 10 team league and will begin in-depth research on the Quebec City, Halifax and Moncton markets. Good news for those cities, although I don't think Moncton will get a team. Seeing a team in Quebec City and/or Halifax would be fantastic! I really hope this happens.
I bet a much higher percentage of players go from a practice squad to the NFL then come out of the CFL. I don't think it would even be close.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:38 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

It's hard to take expansion seriously when they've talked about it since the 80's. They claim they're doing research on it, but haven't they by now already?

I hope they do expand, but how long is this going to take?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:11 AM
MarcWagz

woot grey cup is today
having a party with chilli and nachos and gonna watch the game, gonna be cool!
arrgoooos

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:15 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
woot grey cup is today
having a party with chilli and nachos and gonna watch the game, gonna be cool!
arrgoooos
Good Luck ARGOS.....Should be a great game.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:17 AM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

Whacha gonna do??? when the STAMPEDE runs wild over you???

Cornish is unstoppable.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:49 AM
flameaholic

Going down Toronto!

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW...

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:56 AM
MarcWagz

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Corncrick View Post
Whacha gonna do??? when the STAMPEDE runs wild over you???

Cornish is unstoppable.
cept he was stopped the last couple times he played the argos!

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:01 PM
MiniMoose

Go Stamps Go

MiniMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
You Stampeders fans are in the wrong thread, return to your two page thread which was started in September, please.

Ps, be ready for Owens to abuse you guys tonight.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:07 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Im guessing you havent been following blackberry recently... Really doubt he has the disposable income for a professional sports team at the moment.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:

East:
Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax/Atlantic

West:
BC (Vancouver)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
Victoria

Ottawa is already getting a team, they'll enter the league in two seasons if I remember correctly.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Anyone know what channel and time it is on for Rogers??

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Anyone know what channel and time it is on for Rogers??
TSN 6 pm.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
TSN 6 pm.
Thank you

Old
11-25-2012, 02:31 PM
smitty10

So pumped for the game tonight! Owens is going to own the Stamps!

Old
11-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

I love how we would be on version 2142 if this was Stanley cup for Leafs, but only on page 6 for CFL lol.