HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 10:43 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

vCash: 500
That is probably the worst 12-0 team I've ever seen. That being said, it was an awesome way to start the Urban era with not much to look forward to this season. I'm looking forward to see the teams of the future that Urban can put together. Way to go Bucks!

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
11-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
The SEC is overrated at this point. Living a lot on their reputations only.

OSU's OOC schedule, weak as it was, is stronger than probably all the SEC's.
Care to elaborate? I'd love to see Ohio State match up against any of LSU, Alabama, or Georgia ... I think it would be a great challenge and a great game.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Care to elaborate? I'd love to see Ohio State match up against any of LSU, Alabama, or Georgia ... I think it would be a great challenge and a great game.
Missouri: Southeastern Louisiana, Arizona State, at Central Florida, Syracuse

South Carolina: East Carolina, Alabama-Birmingham, Wofford, at Clemson.

Florida - Bowling Green, Louisiana-Lafayette, Jacksonville State, at Florida State

Alabama: Michigan at Arlington, Texas; Western Kentucky; Florida Atlantic; Western Carolina.

Mississippi: Central Arkansas, Texas-El Paso, Texas, Tulane.

Auburn = Clemson at Atlanta, Louisiana-Monroe, New Mexico State, Alabama A&M.

Vanderbilt: at Northwestern, Presbyterian, Massachusetts, at Wake Forest

Georgia: Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech

Tennessee: North Carolina State at Atlanta, Georgia State, Akron, Troy.

LSU: North Texas, Washington, Idaho, Towson.

Kentucky: at Louisville, Kent State, Western Kentucky, Samford.

Arkansas: Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Monroe, Rutgers, Tulsa

Texas A&M: at Louisiana Tech, at SMU, South Carolina State, Sam Houston State

Miss. State: Jackson State, at Troy, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee

Special stats: that's 15 games against Div II teams. That's 5 games against "power schools". Only 9 total road games.

Last edited by Matthew: 11-25-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old
11-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

...and most SEC teams played a tougher non-conference schedule than the Big 1G played in-conference.

Frankly, I don't like the fact that OSU is shut out of the bowls. I'd love nothing better than to see them have to go against Bammer or Florida or Georgia or LSU and get absolutely annihilated.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
...and most SEC teams played a tougher non-conference schedule than the Big 1G played in-conference.

Frankly, I don't like the fact that OSU is shut out of the bowls. I'd love nothing better than to see them have to go against Bammer or Florida or Georgia or LSU and get absolutely annihilated.
When did you decide to stop trying to make good posts and just become a full time troll again?

Old
11-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

Florida - Bowling Green, Louisiana-Lafayette, Jacksonville State, at Florida State

Alabama: Michigan at Arlington, Texas; Western Kentucky; Florida Atlantic; Western Carolina.

Special stats: that's 15 games against Div II teams. That's 5 games against "power schools". Only 9 total road games.
You can get away with scheduling cupcakes when you're in a decent conference.

11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
You can get away with scheduling cupcakes when you're in a decent conference.
That's the thing. the SEC has got to the point where they schedule this way (easiest OOC schedules in the sport, never have to leave their state or region, scheduling their cupcakes late in the season) and they've cracked the computer code.

The computers think they are so good that 2 loss SEC teams will probably make the soon to arrive playoff over other teams.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:17 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Those schedules are quite comparable to OSU. Overall, though, I still give a strong edge to the SEC as a league vs. the Big Whatever They're Going To Call Themselves. Just going on the games I've watched, there are still more quality teams in the SEC. My hope is that Urban Meyer has begun to change that and will drag the rest of the league along with him.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
When did you decide to stop trying to make good posts and just become a full time troll again?
I fail to see what is untrue. It's awfully tough to "live off reputation" when that reputation is still being built and actively maintained. This isn't USC's preseason rankings, which are based off the last 10 years...this is what's plainly obvious.

Quote:
That's the thing. the SEC has got to the point where they schedule this way (easiest OOC schedules in the sport, never have to leave their state or region, scheduling their cupcakes late in the season) and they've cracked the computer code.

The computers think they are so good that 2 loss SEC teams will probably make the soon to arrive playoff over other teams.
Computers don't think; they can take only what's fed into them. And since this isn't one or two computer polls, but all of them, who have the SEC at the top of the heap and have four SEC teams in the top-10, I'd have to say there's something to that.

Second, there is no need to leave SEC country to play out-of-conference games. Within Big 1G country sits...what, three other D-1 schools? Actually, four. Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Pitt, and Iowa State.

Now, perhaps those three schools compare to Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Louisville. And if we expand the region just ever so slightly, we can add North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. But yes, that entire pile of teams couldn't stack up to the four that populate Big 1G country.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

Ohio State: Miami (OH), Central Florida, Cal, UAB ... all at home, all in a row to start the season. Let's not forget a shockingly close game against Indiana, and the OT win against Purdue, two teams that any respectable contender would have (likely) shredded to pieces.

I'm not discounting what Ohio State did this year, because it's a very impressive feat. But, if you're going to hold the "throw away" games in the face of the SEC, then you have to do the same in the case of the Buckeyes. Fact of the matter is, this entire argument is moot, because we will never see these teams play each other. That being said, in the case of Alabama, I think AJ McCarran is a far better quarterback than the hybrid running back Braxton Miller, and the Tide likely have the best defense in the entire country - save maybe Notre Dame.

You are showing clear bias against the SEC, a conference that perennially has 2-3 teams at or near the top of the college football rankings every year, and continues to prove that they produce champions. It's a losing battle, no matter how you fight it.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:05 PM
EspenK

Looking forward to the ND-SEC matchup. ND reminds me a lot of OSU. You kind of wonder how they got to be 12-0. But there they are. Too bad the Bucks couldn't play them for the championship.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Looking forward to the ND-SEC matchup. ND reminds me a lot of OSU. You kind of wonder how they got to be 12-0. But there they are. Too bad the Bucks couldn't play them for the championship.
Would have been a great game, surely. One of my friends is Hawaiian, and is a HUGE ND fan (wanted desperately to go there) ... so clearly, the Manti Te'o relation is cool for him ... so, on his behalf, I consider myself a ND fanatic for the BCS title.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Old
11-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Wow, that explains your theory on how the entire conference is so weak, so clearly. Yes, because good teams never beat each other, they must then be all terrible.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:21 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:

This is kind of what gets me about the SEC dominance as well. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Schedule cupcakes, conference record is .950 or so, then they play each other and the impact of losses are lessened for most of the conference. Next, they are rewarded with a bowl game which is essentially a home game which they win most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, there is some great football being played in the SEC, but that does not mean that there isn't good football being played elsewhere. I would never assume that any 12-0 team would be annihilated by playing any team with 1 or 2 losses in a 'power' conference. IMO, winning matters more than losing. The ESPNs of the world would have us believe that losing while looking good is better than winning ugly.

Remember when the last undefeated OSU team that 'scraped by' their schedule undefeated lost to the unstoppable skill of the "U"? Oh yeah...it didn't happen that way.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
This is kind of what gets me about the SEC dominance as well. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Schedule cupcakes, conference record is .950 or so, then they play each other and the impact of losses are lessened for most of the conference. Next, they are rewarded with a bowl game which is essentially a home game which they win most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, there is some great football being played in the SEC, but that does not mean that there isn't good football being played elsewhere. I would never assume that any 12-0 team would be annihilated by playing any team with 1 or 2 losses in a 'power' conference. IMO, winning matters more than losing. The ESPNs of the world would have us believe that losing while looking good is better than winning ugly.

Remember when the last undefeated OSU team that 'scraped by' their schedule undefeated lost to the unstoppable skill of the "U"? Oh yeah...it didn't happen that way.
That Miami team was a team that was a few plays from going undefeated 2 seasons in a row. That squad also put like 25 dudes in the NFL.

I don't see any of the SEC teams on the level of those Hurricane teams from the early 2000's.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:

negative....UF had the #1 strength of schedule....that Miami of Ohio team that OSU played had their tails whipped by that Mac team UF played...who's trolling who at this point? You couldn't be more wrong...

Opponents W/L records: UF 92-50 ND 79-62 ORE 73-68 UGA 71-71 ALA 70-72 tOSU 70-74 FSU 67-74

if OSU had a viable instate opponent to schedule each year like Georgia (Georgia Tech), Florida (Florida State), and South Carolina (Clemson) they would play taht team every year instead of Texas, Oklahoma, etc etc....its a cheap shot to say otherwise and incorrect

Last edited by Fro: 11-25-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
negative....UF had the #1 strength of schedule....

Opponents W/L records: UF 92-50 ND 79-62 ORE 73-68 UGA 71-71 ALA 70-72 tOSU 70-74 FSU 67-74

Why is Alabama #2 and Florida #4?

Old
11-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Why is Alabama #2 and Florida #4?
we are because we are 4-1 vs top ten opponents...we started out ranked 23rd, going 11-1 and above you can see the records of the teams we played...we didn't play teams that are sub 500...

bama is ranked on reputation...just like OSU does, USC, now Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma, etc...i don't even understand why OSU fans are worked up over it...just so you can have a piece of apointless championship that no one recognizes anymore? If anything you guys should be ticked over Notre Dame being "undefeated" cough lost to Stanford, two guys on field with same number vs Pitt on final play cough

Old
11-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

to me, the end game is the SEC will be viewed as the top conference until someone beats us...

Old
11-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Oh good, a graphical representation of "circular logic".

If you're going to connect dots in a meaningless manner, at least have some fun. Boston is close to Hartford, which is close to New York City, which is close to Philadelphia, which is close to Baltimore, which is close to Washington DC, which is close to Richmond, which is close to Raleigh, which is close to Charlotte, which is close to Columbia, which is close to Augusta, which is close to Atlanta. So driving from Boston to Atlanta should just be a short jaunt down the road, right?

Quote:
That Miami team was a team that was a few plays from going undefeated 2 seasons in a row. That squad also put like 25 dudes in the NFL.

I don't see any of the SEC teams on the level of those Hurricane teams from the early 2000's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
There isn't one person who had his head outside of his own rectum who couldn't see the difference between 2001 and 2002 Miami, future NFLers be damned. My loathing of Ohio State is quite well-known, but I actually (accurately) predicted their "win" in 2002. For that matter, I also predicted their beating at the hands of Florida...in addition to West Virginia beating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, Boise State beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, and Georgia destroying Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl the other year.

2001 Miami pummeled everyone, and had only one scare (against BC; I don't count Virginia Tech in there). Not only was it one of the best offenses I've ever seen, but one of the best defenses as well. Everyone gushes over Notre Dame this year (124 points allowed in 12 games); Miami had 117 points allowed. In 8 of 12 games, they allowed 7 points or fewer and had 3 shutouts.

2002 Miami was a team that wasn't there yet. They lost enormous amounts of NFL talent between the seasons, and their future NFL players were mostly freshmen and sophomores. Kellen Winslow, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Andre Johnson, and Frank Gore were all sophomores, and none of them had started the prior year. Bryant McKinnie (one of the greatest linemen in college history) was replaced by Carlos Joseph. They almost lost to Florida State (Wide Left I), almost lost to Pitt, and basically looked uninspired at several points throughout the season. It was exactly the type of result you'd expect from a young team that had been a part of a juggernaut just one year prior.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post

bama is ranked on reputation...
This is funny because of how much of the ranking is based on this, including the end-all Strength of Schedule. SoS is another way college football becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:00 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
2002 Miami was a team that wasn't there yet. They lost enormous amounts of NFL talent between the seasons, and their future NFL players were mostly freshmen and sophomores. Kellen Winslow, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Andre Johnson, and Frank Gore were all sophomores, and none of them had started the prior year. Bryant McKinnie (one of the greatest linemen in college history) was replaced by Carlos Joseph. They almost lost to Florida State (Wide Left I), almost lost to Pitt, and basically looked uninspired at several points throughout the season. It was exactly the type of result you'd expect from a young team that had been a part of a juggernaut just one year prior.
The reality of the situation doesn't concern me with the point I'm making. It's the media folks and fans who ignored reality and went with their misconception of the speedy southern team versus the thick ankled farm boys from the north. It's that line of thinking that drives a lot of the SEC talk these days. A&M helped temper that some though.....

Old
12-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I am going to do something that I have never done. To show solidarity with our fellow Jackets fans in the Queen City, and since the Browns will not make the play-offs, I am going to root for the Bengals for the duration of the NFL season, and in the play-offs should they make it.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Congrats to the mighty Bengals of Cincinnati on being lucky enough to play watch the most overrated team in football hand them the game.

Closed Thread