HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-13 Manitoba Bisons/CIS Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
I fully expect a split next weekend in WPG.
In the 13 years I did the Bears pxp they probably split there nine times.
Manitoba got out-played in Edmonton in the first two games earlier this season. But, the Bisons are healthier are playing better and will be at home now.
Alberta has won 10 straight and IMO the team hasn't played this well on a consistent basis since the mid 2000's which is saying something when your program has won 5 of last 7 Conference Titles.
That being said, when you are 21-3 overall and won 10 in a row, you are do for a loss.
One thing I'll be doing over Christmas, likely in the OHT35 thread, is a bit more background into team performances and one theme will be overachieving vs underachieving.

Oddly, Alberta is underachieving. They should be 16-0. Sask is overachieving. They were lucky to beat Alberta twice and Manitoba once. IMO, if the breaks had "evened out" Alberta would be first with 32 points and Manitoba second with 21. That's a rather incredible gap. Sask would be lumped with UBC and Calgary in the 15-17 range.

Nevertheless, if the Bisons want 2nd place and a quarter-final bye they will need to pick up wins and not just good performances every time out from here on in. It is not yet Christmas but with only 12 games left the end is near.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:50 PM
GodTukka*

Went to the game friday night (since it's gonna be my stomping grounds next year and i have friends at the school i figured i'd do some "recon" or so to speak)

Regina really needs to learn how to skate as they were constantly having guys fall on their butts for no reason all game long. Either that or the ice was reaaaaallllly lousy.

Only my second game i've been to, damn fun brand of hockey to watch and for 10 bucks you can't go wrong

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:15 PM
mikeandI

don't modify the top 35 Holley!
are your changes going to be a series of check boxes?
see below

_ overachieved _underachieved IH'sO

_ due for a loss _ due for a win IB'sO

_ out shot _ out shooted (at home) dont change the grammer i like the sound of this

_out shot _ out shooted ( on the road)

_got lucky _ shudda won

keep the bias out that is what makes the top 35 bullet proof

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
Went to the game friday night (since it's gonna be my stomping grounds next year and i have friends at the school i figured i'd do some "recon" or so to speak)

Regina really needs to learn how to skate as they were constantly having guys fall on their butts for no reason all game long. Either that or the ice was reaaaaallllly lousy.

Only my second game i've been to, damn fun brand of hockey to watch and for 10 bucks you can't go wrong
I recall a stretch where that happened to three separate kittens. I have no clue why since it affected no Bisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
don't modify the top 35 Holley!
are your changes going to be a series of check boxes?
see below

_ overachieved _underachieved IH'sO

_ due for a loss _ due for a win IB'sO

_ out shot _ out shooted (at home) dont change the grammer i like the sound of this

_out shot _ out shooted ( on the road)

_got lucky _ shudda won

keep the bias out that is what makes the top 35 bullet proof
The OHT35 will remain the same. Just over Christmas I have time to review numbers a bit more.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:51 PM
CanWestFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
One thing I'll be doing over Christmas, likely in the OHT35 thread, is a bit more background into team performances and one theme will be overachieving vs underachieving.

Oddly, Alberta is underachieving. They should be 16-0. Sask is overachieving. They were lucky to beat Alberta twice and Manitoba once. IMO, if the breaks had "evened out" Alberta would be first with 32 points and Manitoba second with 21. That's a rather incredible gap. Sask would be lumped with UBC and Calgary in the 15-17 range.

Nevertheless, if the Bisons want 2nd place and a quarter-final bye they will need to pick up wins and not just good performances every time out from here on in. It is not yet Christmas but with only 12 games left the end is near.
Mike is right...keep the bias out of it.
I am tired of hearing about the the "lucky" sask wins. News flash...a wins a win!!
I enjoy reading your thoughts and posts, but this lucky win thing is getting old!!
I will be the first to admit Sask still hasn't played to their top potential in the games I have watched. But they have continued to battle and still win games...which at the end of the day is what matters!!
Sask indeed was outplayed the Saturday night in Winnipeg earlier this year, but still WON the game.
Alberta had no business being in Saturdays game in Sask...if it weren't for a bunch of undisciplined penalties the huskies took that resulted in 5on3s for the bears...the huskies would have won the game by a much larger margin.
Another interesting thought...they have only played 5 of their 14 games in Saskatoon. With 3 being at Rutherford rink and their first 2 home games out at credit union centre where the Ucup will be played. The team must be doing something right if they are winning on the road in this league!!
I know you cant stand the huskies, just like Huskie fans absolutely can't stand the bears, but I think it's the we put the "lucky" wins from back in october thing to rest...Sask ended up winning those games and were awarded the 2 points, last time I checked anyways!! But hey I'm sure if they could, any Huskie fan would trade those "lucky" wins for a win on March 17 of 2013.
Can't wait to see the bisons in January, those games are always a battle and are fun to watch.
On another note, are the bisons doing anything game wise for over the Christmas break??

CanWestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanWestFan View Post
Mike is right...keep the bias out of it.
I am tired of hearing about the the "lucky" sask wins. News flash...a wins a win!!
I enjoy reading your thoughts and posts, but this lucky win thing is getting old!!
I will be the first to admit Sask still hasn't played to their top potential in the games I have watched. But they have continued to battle and still win games...which at the end of the day is what matters!!
Sask indeed was outplayed the Saturday night in Winnipeg earlier this year, but still WON the game.
Alberta had no business being in Saturdays game in Sask...if it weren't for a bunch of undisciplined penalties the huskies took that resulted in 5on3s for the bears...the huskies would have won the game by a much larger margin.
Another interesting thought...they have only played 5 of their 14 games in Saskatoon. With 3 being at Rutherford rink and their first 2 home games out at credit union centre where the Ucup will be played. The team must be doing something right if they are winning on the road in this league!!
I know you cant stand the huskies, just like Huskie fans absolutely can't stand the bears, but I think it's the we put the "lucky" wins from back in october thing to rest...Sask ended up winning those games and were awarded the 2 points, last time I checked anyways!! But hey I'm sure if they could, any Huskie fan would trade those "lucky" wins for a win on March 17 of 2013.
Can't wait to see the bisons in January, those games are always a battle and are fun to watch.
On another note, are the bisons doing anything game wise for over the Christmas break??
The OHT35 will stay the way it is. You may recall that I had Sask ahead of Alberta even when stating that IMO Alberta was better. What I will hopefully find time to do is run a little more in-depth look at the numbers. But the basis for calculating rankings will not change.

The Bisons have no games over the Christmas break this year. In fact, the only CW team with games is UBC, who will play Arizona State and Oklahoma State of the ACHA.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Bob Stauffer

re: Canada West fan

The Huskies have won the last 4 games that matter against the Bears. The Bears have something to prove in January. Saskatchewan has higher end forwards then Alberta.
In a perfect world we get a repeat of the 2005-05 University Cup Final!

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
The Huskies have won the last 4 games that matter against the Bears. The Bears have something to prove in January. Saskatchewan has higher end forwards then Alberta.
In a perfect world we get a repeat of the 2005-05 University Cup Final!
I understand why the CW has double-header weekends, but it's unfortantate that good match-ups are 3-4 weeks apart.

A little off topic, but the AUS teams will not have an easy draw at Nationals; either you're in a pool with the host and 10K fans on their side or the other pool with ALB or MAN. For an AUS/OUA team to win, it's very likely they will have to go through both CW teams to do it.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I understand why the CW has double-header weekends, but it's unfortantate that good match-ups are 3-4 weeks apart.

A little off topic, but the AUS teams will not have an easy draw at Nationals; either you're in a pool with the host and 10K fans on their side or the other pool with ALB or MAN. For an AUS/OUA team to win, it's very likely they will have to go through both CW teams to do it.
CanadaWest teams have not set the world on fire during the last 2 University Cups, going 0 for 4 in 2011, and 1-1 in 2012. The OUA has been much more competitive than prior years and is no longer an automatic win at Nationals.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

The travel probably has a lot to do with it...like Bob always says, it's usually a home show...although CW teams should be used to the long travel more than the other conferences. I would be surprised to see an AUS team win either year.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Bob Stauffer

CW at University Cup

From 1999 thru 2007 no team that flew to University Cup won the National title.
Travel is a factor.
The Canada West also has not hosted a University Cup since Alberta's back-to-back Championships in Edmonton in 2005 and 2006.
The Bears performance at the 2011 Nationals was poor, and a sign that the program was cycling down. Calgary put in a better showing on the UNB side of the pool (I am sure some you remember). The same Dinos who were obliterated by the Bears in the CW Final that year.
Saskatchewan split last year beating eventual Champion McGill.
If the Bears make it out of the West you will see a different Golden Bears team then you have in the last several years.
If you closely examine Alberta's #'s you can see that the Bears are playing on a level that haven't had in years.
That said no one is underestimating a team from the AUS

Old
11-26-2012, 05:40 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Aus

[QUOTE=UNB Bruins Fan;56043927]The travel probably has a lot to do with it...like Bob always says, it's usually a home show...although CW teams should be used to the long travel more than the other conferences. I would be surprised to see an AUS team win either .

The AUS is a better league than it was when Moncton and Acadia had terrible showings in Edmonton, in 2005 and 2006 The V-Reds success since 2007 has forced everyone else in the Atlantic conference to get better. This year, there's more parity than ever.
Home ice has it's advantage, but I wouldn't be surprised if an AUS team wins!

Old
11-26-2012, 05:46 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
From 1999 thru 2007 no team that flew to University Cup won the National title.
Travel is a factor.
The Canada West also has not hosted a University Cup since Alberta's back-to-back Championships in Edmonton in 2005 and 2006.
The Bears performance at the 2011 Nationals was poor, and a sign that the program was cycling down. Calgary put in a better showing on the UNB side of the pool (I am sure some you remember). The same Dinos who were obliterated by the Bears in the CW Final that year.
Saskatchewan split last year beating eventual Champion McGill.
If the Bears make it out of the West you will see a different Golden Bears team then you have in the last several years.
If you closely examine Alberta's #'s you can see that the Bears are playing on a level that haven't had in years.
That said no one is underestimating a team from the AUS
Calgary came within a tread of upsetting UNB on home ice in 2011, that is the reality of a single knock out tournament. Yes, the same team that UNB defeated by almost double digits in Calgary earlier that same season. Never be surprised by results in a single elimination tournament.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Nov 30 - Dec 1: Alberta @ Manitoba

WEEKEND PREVIEW

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (13-3-0, 21-3-0, OHT35 #1)
MANITOBA BISONS (8-4-2, 11-6-2-1, OHT35 #10)

Friday, November 30th, 7:00 p.m. CST @ Max Bell Arena - U of M
Saturday, December 1st, 7:00 p.m. CST @ Max Bell Arena - U of M

Live Links:
|> [Live Stats Friday] : [Live Stats Saturday]
|> [Live Audio - Friday - 101.5 UMFM.ca]

Manitoba Links:
|> [U of M Preview Story - site has links to roster and schedule/results]
|> [LS Roster] : [LS Stats] : [LS Schedule/Results]
|> [Twitter] : [Facebook]

Alberta Links:
|> [Alberta Site]
|> [LS Roster] : [LS Stats] : [LS Schedule/Results]
|> [Twitter] : [Facebook]

Prior Games:
|> [Sept 28: Alberta 4-2] : [Sept 29: Alberta 7-2]

Other Links:
|> [CIS Site] : [CIS Schedule/Results/Links]
|> [CW Site] : [CW Schedule/Results/Links]
|> [LeagueStat Daily] : [CW Weekly Media Notes #9] : [CW Preview Story]
|> [Every Link Re: CIS Hockey (updated with Wikia historical results)]

The Evil Monkeys will be in Winnipeg for their only regular season appearance and it should be quite a confrontation. IMO, the Apes are unlucky to be only 13-3. In their 3 losses they outplayed and outshot their opponents by a wide margin. Check the LeagueStat links to get their past summaries if you want. They lead the league in GF and GA.

So how can the Bisons win? Well, they are 2nd in GA. So if anybody can cage the Monkeys, it is them. And we need to look at the size factor. The Bisons have big strong players throughout their line-up, whilst the Monkeys are rife with quick little buggers. Of late the Cain-Henry-Feakes line has been racking up the goals for the Bisons. The two big wingers set up Henry and also grind down the opponent. We'll see how they do against the Primates.

This weekend marks the start of the second half of the season and brings to an end the first semester. After this weekend it is time for exams and a Christmas break lasting until January 4th. Alberta pre-played MRU during a bye week, so when play resumes Jan. 4-5 they will play a non-conference series against NAIT while the Bisons will travel to Sask. So if the Bisons can sweep the next two series they would be in a first place tie. Easier said than done, for sure, but it represents the only path they might have to first place.

ELSEWHERE:

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (1-11-2, 3-16-2, OHT35 #35)
CALGARY DINOS (7-7-0, 10-10-0, OHT35 #18)

Links:
|> [Live Stats Thursday] : [Live Stats Saturday]
|> [Live Video - Saturday – CanadaWest.tv]
|> [U of C Preview Story] : [U of L Preview Story]

This series is a Thursday-Saturday home-and-home, which is unique. Calgary is at the mid-point of the OHT35. Can they vault themselves into the CW top 4? If that is their aim they need 4 points against the H0rny Ones. While the Dinos roster took some hits this year they should be capable of a rally. The H0rny Ones have been putting in the effort but I think they'd be thrilled with 2 points on the weekend.

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (4-12-0, 5-14-1, OHT35 #28)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (11-3-0, 13-4-1, OHT35 #3)

Links:
|> [no on-line audio or video]
|> [U of S Preview Story] : [MRU News]

Sask have been stumbling of late and probably are looking forward to a break. Ryan Holfield has started every game in goal, due to the absence of Dave Reekie. The rest of the league would be shocked to see MRU steal any points from Sask in this series. Sask needed a last second goal in the season opener to be the New Kittens on the Block.

REGINA COUGARS (6-6-2, 7-12-2, OHT35 #19)
UBC THUNDERBIRDS (8-5-1, 11-6-1-1, OHT35 #13)

Links:
|> [no on-line audio or video]
|> [UBC Preview Story] : [U of R Site]

Regina had a surprising first half and after seeing them I have my doubts that they will get another 14 points in the 2nd half. UBC is better at home than on the road. Still, all eyes will be on the Puddy-Tats to see if they'll catch that bloody Tweety-Bird or get an umbrella upside the head.

OUT EAST:

Thursday, November 29
Western Ontario at York
Laurier at UOIT

Friday, November 30
Saint Mary’s at St. Thomas
New Brunswick at Dalhousie
St. Francis Xavier at Moncton
UPEI at Acadia
UQTR at RMC
Waterloo at Brock
McGill at Ryerson
Guelph at Windsor
Ottawa at Toronto
Concordia at Queen’s
Carleton at Nipissing

NEWS:

The CIS Blog has a story on the AUS. Otherwise all we have is the usual rankings releases.
Links: [CIS] : [reposted at CW] : [OHT35]
CIS Blog: [AUS Update]

Old
11-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Thursday Night Hockey

November 29, 2012

OUT OF TOWN SCOREBOARD:

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 1
CALGARY DINOS 10

Links:
|> [LS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore]
|> [U of C Game Story] : [U of L Game Story]

What a whuppin'. But before we get too big on the Dinos, remember that they opened with an 8-0 win over Sask not so long ago, yet walked away from the weekend with 2 points when Sask took game 2.

It looks like the H0rny Ones did a double yank on their goaltenders. Ketlo started and gave up 5 goals, and was. pulled with 6:52 left. Tait then proceeded to surrender 4 goals on 9 shots to finish the period and they went back to Ketlo for the 3rd.

OUT EAST:

|> [AUS Box Scores] : [OUA Box Scores]

Western Ontario 10 York 5
Laurier 3 UOIT 5

Old
12-01-2012, 10:52 AM
CanWestFan

So I was looking through the canwest record book and I just want some clarification on a record. It says currently, that Dave Adolph is the leader in career games coached in canada west with 658 and Clare Drake sitting in second with 525. However, the U of A history site has Clare Drakes all time record at 696-297-37, which would give him 1,030 games coached. Now I know that record includes university cup games, but that wouldn't make up the other 505 games missing in the record book. Can anyone shed some light on this??
http://www.100years.ualberta.ca/achi....cfm?profile=2
(The link for Clare Drakes profile)

CanWestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Nov. 30: Monkeys 3 Bisons 2 (so)

November 30, 2012

SHOOTOUT DECIDES OPENER

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3
MANITOBA BISONS 2

(in shoot-out)

Links:
|> [awaiting upload: CIS Friday Round-Up] : [CW Friday Stories]
|> [U of M Game Story] : [reposted at U of A Linescore]

This was a hard-fought game throughout and, in the end, was decided by one of those dreadful shootouts. It was also a game where nobody scored an even-strength goal.

My impression of the Evil Monkeys is that they are a very vulnerable team. Basically, they lack character. They are a team of divers. Rather than hit, they poke their sticks at their opponents' skates. I can see where they have used superior depth to rack up wins. That might work well during the regular season. In the playoffs? Ask the Sedins.

The good news for the Bisons was that both goals came from the snake-bit 2nd line, with Matt Lowry notching his 4th and 5th goals of the season. The other lines generated their fair share of scoring chances as well. In all, each line gave as good as they got.

IMO the star of the game was Kurtis Mu-u-ucha in the Monkey goal. On separate power plays he stopped Ian Duval and Del Cowan on breakaways they had from across centre. Either one of those short-handed goals could have turned the game around.

Here's how they lined up:

Manitoba

Goal:
35 Deckert (1 Caligiuri)

Defence:
4 Schappert - 20 Lockerby
22 Bestland - 2 Crowley
3 Mestery - 24 Bobbee

Forwards:
23 Dittmer - 19 Duval - 26 Macaulay
21 Cowan - 9 Lowry - 10 Rowinski
29 Cain - 11 Henry - 27 Feakes
18 Kelly - 25 Ciarelli - 16 Paradis

Scratches:
G: 34 Dubyk
D: 5 Christensen - 12 Sutherland
F: 14 Green - 15 Scott - 17 Lauder - 28 Chartier

Alberta

Goal:
31 Mucha (32 Cyr)

Defence:
15 Joe 22 Craige
52 Rowley 5 Carr
6 Lindemulder 25 Barteuax

Forwards:
12 Hickott 11 Reddick 40 Koper
20 Rachinski 8 Ferguson 19 Dailey
16 Ringrose 23 Dyck 9 Lazo
18 Dobrowolski 21 Gardiner 37 Toomey

Scratches:
7 Nichol 10 Laplante 14 Rogers
17 Gullimore 26 Yadlowski 28 Meropoulis
55 Smith

OUT OF TOWN SCOREBOARD:

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 2
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 6

Links:
|> [U of S Game Story] : [reposted at MRU Site]

The Banjo-Mutts scored 3 goals in less than 7 minutes after the drop of the puck and that ended hopes for the New Kittens on the Block. Kyle Bortis scored his 5th and 6th goals for Sask, allowing him first choice of tunes at the post-game accordion party.

REGINA COUGARS 0
UBC THUNDERBIRDS 3

Links:
|> [UBC Game Story with video]

This was a must-win for the Tweety-Birds if they wish to escape their life-long status as a bottom-half team in the CW. Steven Stanford, #2 goalie, posted the shut-out. The Banjo-Cats outshot the hosts 21-15 over the first two periods yet trailed 2-0. Rather then pour it on in the 3rd, the Cats had only 2 shots the entire period and surrendered meekly.

OUT EAST:

Friday, November 30
UPEI 1 Acadia 3
UNB 5 Dalhousie 2
StFX 4 Moncton 3 - OT
Saint Mary's 3 St. Thomas 2
Carleton 3 Nipissing 2 - OT
UQTR 4 RMC 3 - 2OT
Waterloo 3 Brock 4
McGill 4 Ryerson 2
Concordia 2 Queen's 3 - 2OT
Windsor 2 Guelph 3
Ottawa 4 Toronto 6

UP NEXT:

Saturday, December 1
Alberta at Manitoba
Mount Royal at Saskatchewan
Calgary at Lethbridge
Regina at UBC

Saint Mary’s at Moncton
New Brunswick at Acadia
St. Francis Xavier at St. Thomas
UPEI at Dalhousie
Carleton at Ryerson
Ottawa at Nipissing
McGill at RMC
UOIT at Waterloo
Guelph at Windsor
Concordia at Toronto
York at Laurier
UQTR at Queen’s

OTHER STORIES:

By Sheryl Ubelacker, The Canadian Press: Concussions in male, female varsity hockey players more common than reported - READ THE STORY, it was based on CIS players:
Quote:
But getting coaches and team trainers to recognize when a player may have suffered a concussion and needs to be pulled from the ice for assessment — and possibly from further play for a time — continues to be a huge challenge, said Echlin, who works with injured athletes at the Elliott Sports Medicine Clinic in Burlington, Ont.

"Once you start removing players and testing them, then it becomes oppositional," he said, noting there was "huge pushback" during the study, in which physicians observed 55 regular- and post-season games played by the varsity squads.

As one physician-observer reported: "I had negative feedback from the coach who thought that the study was a waste of money ... he didn't want his players to get assessed in fear that they would be declared as concussed and advised not to play ... the players didn't want to be declared as concussed since it would limit their playing time."

In another incident, a player diagnosed with a minor concussion in the second period was sent back on the ice for the third. At the end of the game, the player said she was still feeling “iffy” and “off” and slightly dizzy.

The study doctor advised that she be excluded from upcoming games to give her brain time to heal, Echlin writes in an editorial overview of three linked studies published in the journal Neurosurgical Focus.

While the coach acknowledged the symptoms were concerning and the player “had the rest of her life ahead of her,” she challenged the doctor's authority to make the call — even though her own career playing hockey had been ended due to multiple concussions.
By Ashley Prest, Winnipeg Free Press: Bison blur kills with speed, smarts - This is a profile of Blair Macaulay and his ascent from grinder to goal scorer.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Dec. 1: Bisons 4 Monkeys 2

December 1, 2012

BISONS SQUASH PRIMATES

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 4

Links:
|> [CIS Saturday Round-Up] : [CW Saturday Stories]
|> [U of M Game Story] : [reposted at U of A Linescore]

This year's Monkeys are a frustrating team to watch. Those bogus pokes at skates and the dives really wore thin. Maybe some game film should be circulated to refs so they can be forewarned.

The Bisons never had the clear-cut breakaways like they did Friday night when killing penalties, but they still had numerous quality chances. On both nights, rather than racking up high shot totals they instead had lots of 2-on-1 and very high quality scoring chances. If there is a concern heading into the break it is the sheer volume of good shots missing the net.

The Bisons opened scoring in the 1st period when Ian Duval cashed in a nice pass (his 4th) from Blair Macaulay while killing a penalty.

I thought the Bisons were going to score another in the 2nd period, which may well have put the Monkeys out of reach. However, a chintzy call led to a late power play and Shawn Ringrose equalized on a scramble.

I had much confidence heading into the 3rd because the Bisons had been laying the body on the Monkeys and they never had much to say about it. And over the weekend the Apes' PP got less proficient. And they had yet to score an even-strength goal.

After only a minute of play, Ian Duval restored the lead (his 5th). The play continued as normal, with Monkeys poking at skates and playing a dump-and-run style, and suddenly a bogus call arises against Macaulay for interference on an offensive zone faceoff. (The call also followed an incident where a Monkey gave James Henry an elbow to the back of the head no more than 6 feet away from one ref.) Ben Lindemulder tied the game on a point shot that Deckert should have had. So it was 2-2 with half a period left.

When Macaulay got back on the ice he gave the referee some heck and then after the face-off burst in and scored (his 7th). 21 seconds after the Monkeys tied the game, the Bisons were back on top. Travis Bobbee scored (his 3rd) on a point shot

Here's how they lined up:

Manitoba

Goal:
35 Deckert (1 Caligiuri)

Defence:
4 Schappert - 20 Lockerby
22 Bestland - 2 Crowley
3 Mestery - 24 Bobbee

Forwards:
23 Dittmer - 19 Duval - 26 Macaulay
21 Cowan - 9 Lowry - 10 Rowinski
29 Cain - 11 Henry - 27 Feakes
18 Kelly - 25 Ciarelli - 16 Paradis

Scratches:
G: 34 Dubyk
D: 5 Christensen - 12 Sutherland
F: 14 Green - 15 Scott - 17 Lauder - 28 Chartier

Alberta

Goal:
32 Cyr (31 Mucha)

Defence:
52 Rowley 5 Carr
15 Joe 25 Barteuax
22 Craige 26 Yadlowski
6 Lindemulder

Forwards:
16 Ringrose 23 Dyck 9 Lazo
12 Hickott 11 Reddick 40 Koper
8 Ferguson 21 Gardiner 37 Toomey
20 Rachinski 19 Dailey

Scratches:
7 Nichol 10 Laplante 14 Rogers
17 Gullimore 18 Dobrowolski 28 Meropoulis
55 Smith

OUT OF TOWN SCOREBOARD:

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 6

Links:
|> [U of S Game Story] : [reposted at MRU Site]

So Sask beat the New Kittens on the Block 6-2, 6-3 on the weekend. That sounds like a result at Wimbledon. MRU played 2 men shy of a full roster. Mount Royal's goals were scored by Eric Galbraith, his 10th, 11th, and 12th of the year. That vaults him into the CW lead in that category. When play resumes, Sask will be the next Bison opponent (Jan. 4-5) and MRU will be the next Bison home opponent (Jan. 11-12).

REGINA COUGARS 3
UBC THUNDERBIRDS 0

Links:
|> [UBC Game Story]

This result is a turning-of-the-tables from Friday night. Same score, different winner. First period goals by Brayden Nargang and Tyler Penny gave the Banjo-Cats a 2-0 lead. There was no scoring in the 2nd period. UBC dominated the 3rd period, outshooting Regina 15-4 but unable to capitalize. Regina now has an 8 point lead in the race for 6th.

CALGARY DINOS 4
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 0

Links:
|> [U of L Game Story] : [U of C Game Story]

Well, at least this result was an improvement over Thursday for the H0rny Ones. The 1st period was wild (shots 17-14 for Calgary) yet no goals were scored. Calgary then dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods, with a 39-18 edge in shots. Brock Nixon notched a hat-trick for the Bedrock Boys. The Lethbridge roster was also down 2 men.

OUT EAST:

|> [AUS Box Scores] : [OUA Box Scores]

Saturday, December 1
Saint Mary’s 5 Moncton 2
New Brunswick 2 Acadia 3
St. Francis Xavier 4 St. Thomas 5 (so)
UPEI 2 Dalhousie 3
Carleton 2 Ryerson 3 (ot)
Ottawa 4 Nipissing 3 (ot)
McGill 7 RMC 2
UOIT 1 Waterloo 4
Guelph 2 Windsor 5
Concordia 2 Toronto 7
York 4 Laurier 3
UQTR 2 Queen’s 1 (ot)

STANDINGS:

Team``````````W``L OT``Pts
Alberta``````14``4``0``28
Saskatchewan 13``3``0``26
Manitoba``````9``4``3``21
UBC`````````` 9``6``1``19
Calgary`````` 9``7``0``18
Regina````````7``7``2``16
Mount Royal`` 4 14``0`` 8
Lethbridge````1 13``2`` 4

UP NEXT:

Sunday, December 2
Brock at Western Ontario

Non-conference Games:

Friday, December 28
McGill at Lakehead
UBC vs Arizona State (at SFU)

Saturday, December 29
Toronto at Acadia
Moncton vs UPEI (at Tignish, PEI)
Queen’s vs Carleton (at Kemptville, Ont.)
McGill at Lakehead
UBC vs Oklahoma State (at SFU)

Sunday, December 30
Team Russia vs New Brunswick (at Saint John, NB)
Toronto vs Saint Mary’s (at Truro, NS)
Guelph at York
Windsor at Western Ontario

Monday, December 31
Team Russia at New Brunswick

Old
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

You hearing anything about this Holly...Jordan DePape of the Kamloops Blazers has been contact by Sirant about possibly playing for Manitoba after he recovers from his current injury.

Also, it is noted in the article that Manitoba has a Europe trip planned for August, although there is no mention if they are playing any games.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2012/11/...rs-future.html

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:38 PM
mikeandI

Holley
didn't see friday but did see saturday. was interested to see how the bears had trouble with the transition speed of the duval line. you are correct that the bears desparately try to go on the pp with antics geez boys that is getting old?? But they do have a good pp so one can see why! I guess? the bison looked good at home bears not so much on the road. I do think those two extra games they played in their sneaky rescheduling with Mount Royal came back to haunt them as they looked done mid way thru the second period last night! Also is it my eyesight or are they above averagely small again this year? Anyways good three points! Sorry to see no one here to see two of the best teams in the University ranks playing!? should be a great second half in the west!!

Old
12-02-2012, 01:44 PM
mikeandI

Coach Mike has ya thinking now Bruin boy!
Maybe the buffalo will just go over there and roam?
Although i am not sure we should be talking to a CHL player before the appropriate date or while he is still with a team....
but others would be doing it i guess so maybe it okay until somebody worries about parity (see PWH sanction....) careful!
we hate it when we see western boys out east on a lobster hunting trip

Old
12-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
You hearing anything about this Holly...Jordan DePape of the Kamloops Blazers has been contact by Sirant about possibly playing for Manitoba after he recovers from his current injury.

Also, it is noted in the article that Manitoba has a Europe trip planned for August, although there is no mention if they are playing any games.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2012/11/...rs-future.html
I have not heard about Depape coming here. IMO if he's that hurt he should thinking of next year. Getting him enrolled at the U of M would be a good first step. Sirant has European contacts after two years over there so more tours seem likely.

Quote:
Holley
didn't see friday but did see saturday. was interested to see how the bears had trouble with the transition speed of the duval line. you are correct that the bears desparately try to go on the pp with antics geez boys that is getting old?? But they do have a good pp so one can see why! I guess? the bison looked good at home bears not so much on the road. I do think those two extra games they played in their sneaky rescheduling with Mount Royal came back to haunt them as they looked done mid way thru the second period last night! Also is it my eyesight or are they above averagely small again this year? Anyways good three points! Sorry to see no one here to see two of the best teams in the University ranks playing!? should be a great second half in the west!!
I don't think the MRU series affected things. It was more the Bison hitting. The little Monkeys were slowed down as the weekend progressed.

Their PP did score 4 goals, but gave up one and on Friday Mucha stopped two breakaways on Monkey PPs.

As for crowds, the last couple of years they announce everything as 300-and-something no matter how many people are there.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Holley
The bears are anything but "not good" on the road. They are fast skilled and have very good goaltending. Mucha was exceptional on friday. The bisons outplayed them both nights. Had better chances despite the shot totals and were very fast physical and skilled as well. It was two of the best games I have ever seen at Max bell. That was great hockey between two great teams.

What perplexes me is that the bisons do not get the benefit of home ice reffing. Every other teams in Canada west does.

And how does Matt Lowry not get picked as one of the three stars on Friday night?

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:15 PM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
The bears are anything but "not good" on the road. They are fast skilled and have very good goaltending. Mucha was exceptional on friday. The bisons outplayed them both nights. Had better chances despite the shot totals and were very fast physical and skilled as well. It was two of the best games I have ever seen at Max bell. That was great hockey between two great teams.

What perplexes me is that the bisons do not get the benefit of home ice reffing. Every other teams in Canada west does.

And how does Matt Lowry not get picked as one of the three stars on Friday night?
I just thought Steve Knowles picked em when ever the bears played

Old
12-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Bob Stauffer

As previously stated I figured the Bears would split on the weekend.
Full marks to Manitoba they deserved the three points.
The Bears have now lost four games all season (14-4 CW, 22-4 OA), all on the road...and have been a bounce away from winning each game, outshooting their opposition in every game.
Alberta is undefeated at home.
Three of their losses have been with Real Cyr starting on Saturday nights. I realize Cyr was the top goalie in the CW last year, but Kurtis Mucha is better.
The #'s aren't close this season.
Mucha will be the starter come crunch time and the Bears if they take care of business against Saskatchewan at home in the second half, will control their own destiny for the all-important home ice-advantage in the Play-offs.
As u know in the CW the higher seed in a play-off series hosts all games.

Losing former WHL 60-point man Alex Rodgers to an injury in Regina a couple of weeks ago has slowed Alberta's production on the third line.
That was further compounded when 6'3", 215 pound third liner James Dobrowolski did not play Saturday in Wpg.
The fact that Zach Dailey played both games meant the Bears were down to their 14th forward against the Bisons, and Dailey is another smurf.

Nonetheless the Bears have a very favorable 2nd half sked with seven out of 10 games at home including two vs. Saskatchewan.

I like Alberta's chances to finish first overall in the CW maybe with a 22-6 record