HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 12:27 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer4000 View Post
A la Connor brown with Connor mcdavid... who's to say how good they are with "normal" linemates...
Eh I'm not sure that's the best comparable situation. It's sort of similar but I'd say McDavid is a better player than MacKinnon and Brown is a worse player than Drouin.

Last edited by Mess: 11-26-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old
11-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Eh I'm not sure that's the best comparable situation. It's sort of similar but I'd say McDavid is a better player than MacKinnon and Brown is a worse player than Drouin.
Not at this point in their careers. Nate/Drouin and much better than Brown/McDavid. Drouin and MacKinnon went 1 and 2 in the QMJHL draft. Obviously McDavid shares this pedigree, but Brown was a 13th round pick.

Last edited by Mess: 11-26-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old
11-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Pulock has joined Murray on the shelf. Been out the past week with an upper body injury. With Rielly looking somewhat tired or hurt, I don't know which is more likely. The WHL representation at the Worlds is looking less likely if guys are hurt.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:26 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Pulock has joined Murray on the shelf. Been out the past week with an upper body injury. With Rielly looking somewhat tired or hurt, I don't know which is more likely. The WHL representation at the Worlds is looking less likely if guys are hurt.
This definitely makes things interesting on the back-end for Team Canada. It will open up opportunities, and possibly force Hockey Canada to look at a few up-coming youngsters on the blueline.

Rielly Hamilton
Harrington Ouelette
Percy Murphy
Reinhart/Dumba/Ceci as the 7th D-man

forwards... hmmm...

Old
11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
I doubt Pulock would have made the team anyways only Murray is a real blow. this is generally a 19-20 year old tourney and with alot of the top 10 last year being Dmen and Hamilton, Murphy, Harrington being eligible without the NHL playing I doubt he would make the team.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:43 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I doubt Pulock would have made the team anyways only Murray is a real blow. this is generally a 19-20 year old tourney and with alot of the top 10 last year being Dmen and Hamilton, Murphy, Harrington being eligible without the NHL playing I doubt he would make the team.
He wouldn't have made the cut.
Hockey Canada would leave him off, like they do other youngsters, sometimes to a fault. In this case, I think our blueline is too deep to bring him anyways. He'll have a chance to be there next year, however.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Fogelhund

I would have to choose Barkov. He's 17 years old, 6'3" and still growing. Over a point a game in a men's league, and is strong in nearly every aspect of the game, including PK. While he is very talented, being big and talented is what I like in him. Goes to the net, and once he finishes growing at 6'3" - 6'5" and 230lbs approx, he'll be very difficult to contain, much like Sundin was. He is strong along the boards, and goes hard to the net. Given we could really use some size, and his talent level, I think he is a great fit for the teams needs.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:58 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I would have to choose Barkov. He's 17 years old, 6'3" and still growing. Over a point a game in a men's league, and is strong in nearly every aspect of the game, including PK. While he is very talented, being big and talented is what I like in him. Goes to the net, and once he finishes growing at 6'3" - 6'5" and 230lbs approx, he'll be very difficult to contain, much like Sundin was. He is strong along the boards, and goes hard to the net. Given we could really use some size, and his talent level, I think he is a great fit for the teams needs.
I don't even think it's close between he and Jones at 2. I think there's more of a debate for Barkov/MacKinnon at 1, than there is for Barkov/Jones at 2.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Man I wouldn't mind at all if we either of those three, our franchise would be set for the next decade or so.

11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
I endorse this post 100%

Old
11-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
This definitely makes things interesting on the back-end for Team Canada. It will open up opportunities, and possibly force Hockey Canada to look at a few up-coming youngsters on the blueline.

Rielly Hamilton
Harrington Ouelette
Percy Murphy
Reinhart/Dumba/Ceci as the 7th D-man

forwards... hmmm...
Percy would be a great fit on the D. The guy is having quietly a fantastic year.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:06 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Percy would be a great fit on the D. The guy is having quietly a fantastic year.
I think he has a really good chance, going in to camp, to show why he belongs on that blueline.

You have Rielly and Hammilton, who are offensive forces. You have Murphy and Harrington, with Harrington being the better two-way D-man, and then Percy and Ouelette, with Percy being a steadying presence. Whoever they pair him with, he provides good insulation. He's a smooth skater, and plays well positionally, and will allow whoever his partner may be, to be a little more effective in the neutral/offensive zone.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:24 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Plus, after this summer he will have the perfect big-bodied centreman to learn how to ply his trade in the NHL from, Getzlaf

Old
11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Plus, after this summer he will have the perfect big-bodied centreman to learn how to ply his trade in the NHL from, Getzlaf
Getzlaf will play second line to barkov next year.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Getzlaf will play second line to barkov next year.
Can you imagine the noise this city will make if we get Getzlaf and Barkov or hell any of the top line center prospects in the off-season? It would be absolute pandemonium in the city!

Old
11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Can you imagine the noise this city will make if we get Getzlaf and Barkov or hell any of the top line center prospects in the off-season? It would be absolute pandemonium in the city!
Only a few more months to wait.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Only a few more months to wait.
Honestly if burke pulls it off along with getting few more prospects, preferably first rounders, from this draft....I'd say this franchise will put a statue in front of the ACC in his honor lol.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:06 PM
showtime8

Prefix: I have not been able to see Sasha Barkov or Elias Lindholm, so my opinion is completely biased.

That being said, I can't really see many people making a legit argument that Nathan MacKinnon will not go #1. I find this close to the John Tavares-Viktor Hedmen debate where people were trying to say that Hedmen will be close to the player that JT is going to be. But you are going to hear a lot from the media about how Seth Jones will be a close 2nd and he could go to a team that is drafting based on needs.

But for the Leafs direct needs, you need the franchise centre. I don't care if the Leafs are picking 12th, 20th or 28th and Seth Jones is still there, you pick the centreman. In this years draft I see a couple of players that I would ideally like to take in the 1st round:

1. Sean Monahan - I think that he's going to like Adam Henrique type of player. A consistent player that could put up 50 - 65 points on the regular.

2. Hunter Shinkaruk - Although he wouldn't be my first pick, I think that he has a solid NHL career. Doesn't have the high end potential (IMO).

3. Morgan Klimchuk - If the Leafs end up picking in the teens, this is the guy they get. He's going to rise in the draft rankings and be a very good pro.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:18 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Honestly if burke pulls it off along with getting few more prospects, preferably first rounders, from this draft....I'd say this franchise will put a statue in front of the ACC in his honor lol.
I think this team more than any other in the NHL has a legitimate shot at landing both Getzlaf and Perry, and that is not being a homer. I had a huge post about it this summer. Chuckwoods checked it out and said it made alot of sense to him, and he wouldnt be all that surprised either.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I don't even think it's close between he and Jones at 2. I think there's more of a debate for Barkov/MacKinnon at 1, than there is for Barkov/Jones at 2.
This makes my head hurt. Saying that Barkov/Jones isn't close is an absolute joke, according to literally every pro scout.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Prefix: I have not been able to see Sasha Barkov or Elias Lindholm, so my opinion is completely biased.

That being said, I can't really see many people making a legit argument that Nathan MacKinnon will not go #1. I find this close to the John Tavares-Viktor Hedmen debate where people were trying to say that Hedmen will be close to the player that JT is going to be. But you are going to hear a lot from the media about how Seth Jones will be a close 2nd and he could go to a team that is drafting based on needs.

But for the Leafs direct needs, you need the franchise centre. I don't care if the Leafs are picking 12th, 20th or 28th and Seth Jones is still there, you pick the centreman. In this years draft I see a couple of players that I would ideally like to take in the 1st round:

1. Sean Monahan - I think that he's going to like Adam Henrique type of player. A consistent player that could put up 50 - 65 points on the regular.

2. Hunter Shinkaruk - Although he wouldn't be my first pick, I think that he has a solid NHL career. Doesn't have the high end potential (IMO).

3. Morgan Klimchuk - If the Leafs end up picking in the teens, this is the guy they get. He's going to rise in the draft rankings and be a very good pro.
If jones for some messed up reason is available at those picks, you pick him and then trade for a C.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:22 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Who was more hyped between Erik Johnson and Seth Jones? I'm thinking Jones, but I didn't pay as much attention back in Johnson's draft year as I do now. I've been reading and hearing about Jones for a few years now.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:22 PM
showtime8

Quote:
I think this team more than any other in the NHL has a legitimate shot at landing both Getzlaf and Perry, and that is not being a homer. I had a huge post about it this summer. Chuckwoods checked it out and said it made alot of sense to him, and he wouldnt be all that surprised either.
Its a tough call on this one. If the Ducks are intending for a full rebuild, then they will have to do that if they lose both of these guys. That and the fact that Bobby Ryan has said that he doesn't want to even be there. It would be tough for a franchise that couldn't even get value for them if they walked.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Its a tough call on this one. If the Ducks are intending for a full rebuild, then they will have to do that if they lose both of these guys. That and the fact that Bobby Ryan has said that he doesn't want to even be there. It would be tough for a franchise that couldn't even get value for them if they walked.
I personally think the biggest problem for this team is the internal budget. They acquired perhaps the top line in hockey when they are on their game (RPG), and totally failed to supplement it with talent despite that they are in their prime.

When you have top stars like that, it is hard to keep them because they restrict the budget and make it harder for the team to insulate them with talent. And they consequently get frustrated knowing they could have more success with a stronger financial team.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:30 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
If jones for some messed up reason is available at those picks, you pick him and then trade for a C.
You could basically have a team full of defencemen that try to score. I was being a bit facetious on the Jones comment because he's not going past 5.... but its just one of those things where you absolutely need forwards in your system that have high end talent.

Who can the Leafs hang their hats on to try and be that Phil Kessel, score 40 goals types? The last 2 shots that the Leafs had at having a high end forward was Jiri Tlusty and Nazem Kadri. You NEED a forward that is not a 3rd/4th line role player.

Closed Thread