HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the Rangers' best defensive defenseman?

View Poll Results: Who is the Rangers' best defensive defenseman?
Girardi 20 15.75%
Staal 61 48.03%
McDonagh 45 35.43%
Other 1 0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Defensively I think Staal and McDonagh are pretty much even. I'm not sure how you'd qualify any of this though--some things Staal has an advantage such as reach--some things McD has an advantage such as skating. Either one of them can put in 30 minutes every night of relatively mistake free defense. Saying one is better than the other and it's not even close seems ridiculous to me. Where I'd give McD the edge as more valuable is he's a little younger and he seems to have more offense in his game.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
My last point isn't disputed by a youtube clip. Only a fool would assume that. You're obviously ignoring things like, who's Marc's partner? Was Marc rested? Staal was on the ice at the start of the video.
You, from your own words claimed that there is no question who should be on the ice on the last 30 seconds defending a lead and then I proceeded to give you a video during the last 30 seconds of a game 7. This isn't a highlight reel youtube clip, it's a legitimate game that goes against your false entitlement.

Quote:
And where did I say McDonagh's miles behind Staal's defensive play? Don't put words in my mouth.
Quote:
but he's nowhere near as reliable, or dominant as a defense men than Staal.
Quote:
It's a no brainer who the better defensive dmen is
Quote:
I'm as much a fan of McDonagh as anyone here, but I'm not going to lie to myself and say his defensive play has reached the level that Marc's has. I've yet to see Ryan be a shutdown, dominant dmen that Staal has proven a number of times.
McDonagh this past season obliterates whatever Staal had done in his career at this point. He has already surpassed him.

Quote:
It's the shiny new toy syndrome, and you, just like many other guys here are quick to forget things.
Sometimes the shiny new toy is better than the older, inferior one.

Not sure how he's a 'shiny new toy' when he's been here for nearly 2 seasons now.

Quote:
If you honestly believe Marc's and Ryan's defensive capability's are a wash, then it's safe to say your focusing on all the wrong things, or maybe your not keen to certain details. Regardless, it's a no-brainer who the better defensive dman is.
Nope, I think McDonagh is more dominant defensively. He has more mobility than Staal and his skating blows Staal's out the water. People keep pointing to physical strature and Staal is probably more impressive, no doubt. But McDonagh's game emphasizes on his lower body strength and ability to strip players off the puck and moving it up mistake-free. Staal can handle the puck like a grenade at times, which is very risky when he's in his own end.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Danny G for me, but it's real close and we are lucky to have all 3...most improved for me was Staal's snarl in the playoffs, be nasty use your size...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Leetch3

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Staal in the defensive zone is just a freaking monster.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Ahhh the pelvic thrust!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:39 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Yes, I think MDZ has more potential than Staal. I don't think MDZ will ever be a 'bigger name' than Staal, but I think he can be the better overall player. False, Staal is 2nd fiddle to McDonagh, who has surpassed him in only his sophomore season. Staal as of now, is a great shutdown guy that can effectively shutdown the opposing team's 2nd best scoring threat on even strength and can kill penalties on the top unit. MDZ right now isn't better than Staal defensively and probably will never be. I just think he'll be the better player down the road due to his natural offensive talent. I think MDZ being mentally fragile is blown way out of proportion by the media. It's pretty much what you expect from a raw offensive d-man trying to re-establish his game for both ends of the rink.

Ryan Suter is a superstar and I believe McDonagh is just a tad behind him in only his 2nd season. He is the Rangers franchise player along with Lundqvist.
To the bolded -

Wow. I disagree whole-heartedly. MDZ has more offensive potential than Staal for sure but he won't ever be even close to the defensive player that Staal is in my opinion. I don't mean that he'll be above average but not quite at that level either - I'm not convinced he will even be above average on d. He's shown nothing to make me think that he's capable of that. To me, the "better player" in terms of defensemen is the guy who you can put out there and have faith that the opponents won't have their way with him and get a point. In my eyes, Staal will always be the better player than MDZ in that regard.

Also, Staal is not only capable of shutting down only "second best scoring threats." He's shown throughout his career that he's very capable of shutting down the top guys, not just on the opposing team, but the top guys in the league as well. He's an excellent defender. One of the best in the league in terms of shutting down his opponent.

As for best defensive d-man right now, I have to vote Staal. I don't really see how he's the "second fiddle" to McD since McD's game really came together in Staal's absence. McD has not surpassed him yet in my opinion. He's almost at his level and that's exteremely impressive considering his age but right now, today, Staal is the better defensive defender in my eyes. He's been at a higher level for a long, long time.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
To the bolded -

Wow. I disagree whole-heartedly. MDZ has more offensive potential than Staal for sure but he won't ever be even close to the defensive player that Staal is in my opinion. I don't mean that he'll be above average but not quite at that level either - I'm not convinced he will even be above average on d. He's shown nothing to make me think that he's capable of that. To me, the "better player" in terms of defensemen is the guy who you can put out there and have faith that the opponents won't have their way with him and get a point. In my eyes, Staal will always be the better player than MDZ in that regard.

Also, Staal is not only capable of shutting down only "second best scoring threats." He's shown throughout his career that he's very capable of shutting down the top guys, not just on the opposing team, but the top guys in the league as well. He's an excellent defender. One of the best in the league in terms of shutting down his opponent.

As for best defensive d-man right now, I have to vote Staal. I don't really see how he's the "second fiddle" to McD since McD's game really came together in Staal's absence. McD has not surpassed him yet in my opinion. He's almost at his level and that's exteremely impressive considering his age but right now, today, Staal is the better defensive defender in my eyes. He's been at a higher level for a long, long time.
I get the feeling he meant McD. Otherwise... I'm with you.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
I voted McD because I think he's more well-rounded than Staal.

Staal may have a slight edge in defensive ability, but McD isn't that far behind him, and his offense and skating lend something to his game that Staal just doesn't have.

At the end of the day, the fact we are even able to debate this is a great thing. I don't think anyone can really get upset with whoever ends up winning this poll.
Well then you failed to read the OP's question.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Ahhh the pelvic thrust!
love that gif lol

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
GarretJoseph*

Danny G is my pick.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

YAY WE'RE FIGHTING AGAIN!!!!

God I miss that

I agree with MPF24 that McDonagh is undeniably stronger. I think Ryan McDonagh is the strongest player on the Rangers. Yes, even though Kreider can jump out of pools and Brian Boyle is taller than the Empire State Building.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:01 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Sauer

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:04 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

And McDonagh has Chris Chelios star potential.

He finished 11th in Norris voting this year. His first full year in the league.

I dont think Staal has ever been higher than 17th in Norris voting, and he's been in the league since 2008.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:10 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Also, the Rangers were the best team in the EC and at times the NHL without Staal and Sauer in the lineup -- meaning that Mac was getting every single tough matchup.

Staal is a better one-on-one defender along the wall and open-ice hitter but overall smarts and anticipation it's Mac by a lot. Positionally as well.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Sauer
Oh yeah he's up there in terms of strength, another beast.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I get the feeling he meant McD. Otherwise... I'm with you.
Yes.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Affinity

Seriously, some of you need to reread the title/OP's question. Clearly says defensive defensemen. IMO and from what I've seen it's Staal. He has taken over games defensively I've yet to see that out of McD yet. Sure he's been an absolute monster in our zone but still not quite the level of Staal. Glad to have them both

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Lerb

who voted for "other"?

Who is this other defensemen that we're missing out on?

Lerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:28 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
who voted for "other"?

Who is this other defensemen that we're missing out on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Sauer
Boom.

11-26-2012, 02:41 AM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Boom.

Lerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:43 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
McDonagh
Girardi
Staal

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Im curious to know why folks are picking Girardi. Dont get me wrong, this is a nice discussion to be able to have because, defensively, Staal/McDonagh/Girardi are as formidable as any trio in the league.

But when you watch the 3 of them play on a daily basis, I dont know how anyone's top answer can be Dan Girardi when given a choice between the other 2 guys.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
On pure one-on-one shutdown ability, I'll take Staal, though McDonagh has better instincts and moves so well. Can't go wrong either way.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Right now, I'd say Staal. His ability to dominate in the corners is fantastic and he has great mobility for a guy his size. I think people are a little jaded when it comes to Staal because of how good McD has been, and because of the time Staal missed due to injury. Staal was one of the premier shutdown d-men in the NHL before he went down, and his offensive game was trending up as well.

However, if he continues developing the way he has, the sky is the limit for McDonagh. Could potentially be one of the best d-men in the league, and one of the best to ever wear the Rangers sweater.

Girardi is a great defensive d-man, and would be the best in that regard on a few teams in the NHL. Unfortunately, he's just not quite on the same level as Staal and McDonagh. However, he's one of the best shot blockers in the NHL. That goes a long way on this team.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote