HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
  #101
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,730
vCash: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I saw it last night, and just have a few things to add. Just before I go into spoilers, the cast around them was great too.
This isn't something anybody would remember but me. But when The Fighter came out, I absolutely hated it, especially the overheated performances by Christian Bale and Melissa Leo, which won each an Academy Award for supporting actor/actress eventually. While I was raging away at that movie I saw the excellent Australian film Animal Kingdom and was very impressed by Jacki Weaver. Before the Academy Awards, I posted that Leo could learn a thing or two about playing a dominating matriarch from Weaver, who should be the one taking home the prizes that year. Well, she plays a more supportive matriarch in SLP, but there she is. I would bet a lot of money that Russell saw Animal Kingdom, too, and decided she would be perfect for this movie.

kihei is online now  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:56 AM
  #102
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,501
vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
This isn't something anybody would remember but me. But when The Fighter came out, I absolutely hated it, especially the overheated performances by Christian Bale and Melissa Leo, which won each an Academy Award for supporting actor/actress eventually. While I was raging away at that movie I saw the excellent Australian film Animal Kingdom and was very impressed by Jacki Weaver. Before the Academy Awards, I posted that Leo could learn a thing or two about playing a dominating matriarch from Weaver, who should be the one taking home the prizes that year. Well, she plays a more supportive matriarch in SLP, but there she is. I would bet a lot of money that Russell saw Animal Kingdom, too, and decided she would be perfect for this movie.
I actually saw her in the Five-Year Engagement. If she can get into a movie with Zooey Deschanel, that's the trifecta.

GKJ is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
  #103
The Viper
Legolas
 
The Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,613
vCash: 90
Silent House - 10/10

The movie was fantastic, had you on edges of ur seat when the horror started

The Viper is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 12:57 PM
  #104
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,166
vCash: 270
A Thousand Words with Eddie Murphy.
I didn't expect much, but it was on Netflix and I was bored. Don't remember laughing once, Murphy was over the top with the facial expressions.

Obviously (despite the swearing in it) the comedy seems to be more something little kids would like but still. It was poor.

2.5/10

Izzy is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 01:27 PM
  #105
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,971
vCash: 500
Awards:
Skyfall: 8/10
Action movies that aren't strong in their middle acts are a rare breed indeed, and it's Skyfall's strength to a fault. It takes a little too much time doing little in the first act, and trots out the woefully overused reluctant hero trope which, after The Amazing Spider-Man, The Avengers, and The Dark Knight Rises, needs to be murdered immediately. The title credits and opening sequence are exhilerating, but after that, some patience is tried - despite the impressively filmed Shanghai fight scene.
But the heart of the movie is when Javier Bardem shows up as Silva, in an incredible role that rivals even his Anton Chigurh in all-around creepiness and psychosis. Amazingly, the most bracing sequence in the film is not any fight or chase scene, but the first conversation between Bond and Silva.
The final act is good, but not great - while I appreciated the "personal" level the movie aims at (Silva going after M for revenge, rather than the head of some evil corporation trying to get megarich or what have you), it necessarily resulted in a somewhat underwhelming ending.
But overall, the movie does a lot of things really well, and several things exceptionally so. The much-lauded photography by Roger Deakins was good, but considering the hype, I was expecting to be a little more blown away. Same could be said for the movie as a whole, maybe.


Last edited by hototogisu: 11-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
hototogisu is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 01:30 PM
  #106
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,971
vCash: 500
Awards:
Has anyone heard anything about Jack Reacher? When I saw the ads, I thought it was a strange time of year to be releasing another faceless Tom Cruise action flick. Then I saw the trailer and learned Werner Herzog was playing some kind of villain, and felt a strong urge to go and see it...

hototogisu is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 02:51 PM
  #107
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,730
vCash: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Jack Reacher? When I saw the ads, I thought it was a strange time of year to be releasing another faceless Tom Cruise action flick. Then I saw the trailer and learned Werner Herzog was playing some kind of villain, and felt a strong urge to go and see it...
I didn't notice that Herzog was in it. The film just looks so ordinary, unless Herzog is playing a one-legged drag queen with a personality disorder made worse by Tourette Syndrome I am going to skip it.

kihei is online now  
Old
11-23-2012, 08:44 AM
  #108
Stu Macher
Registered User
 
Stu Macher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burke, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
After seeing Killer Joe, I don't know why KFC hasn't jumped on using it in their advertisements.

Stu Macher is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 11:03 AM
  #109
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 42,605
vCash: 612
Copied from the movie's own thread:

Total Recall: it was an ok action flick, 7-/10. No Mars bit was a let down, no humor, decent cgi.
Spoil:
Didn't even bother to leave it to the viewers imagination whether it was real or not at the end with showing the no mark on Hauser's arm. I'd bet there's an alternate ending with the mark.


Last edited by hototogisu: 11-23-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: looks like spoiler talk to me
Jussi is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 04:29 PM
  #110
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,730
vCash: 4667


Hitchcock (2012), directed by Sacha Gervasi: A biopic of the master of suspense Alfred Hitchcock during his creation of Psycho. Let's see, what doesn't go wrong with this flick? There is a ludicrous subplot of a fantasy relationship between Hitchcock (Anthony Hopkins) and a serial killer. There is another useless subplot about Mrs. Hitchcock (Helen Mirren) considering having an affair that takes up way too much screen time. There is a complete absence of drama or suspense. Huge chunks of the script are banal, and none of the minor characters are believably developed. According to film historians, very little in the movie possesses even a glimmer of historical accuracy. Finally, to add insult to injury, a movie about a great director is directed without any hint of imagination or flair whatsoever. Hopkins, virtually unrecognizable, and Mirren do what they can with their characters but the best that can be said about their performances is that they acquit themselves like professionals. A thoroughly passionless exercise that never should have seen the light of day.

kihei is online now  
Old
11-23-2012, 05:31 PM
  #111
Stu Macher
Registered User
 
Stu Macher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burke, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
I saw Silver Linings Playbook again today, with my mother, and loved it just as much.

Stu Macher is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 09:50 PM
  #112
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King
 
BLASPHEMOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 447
Birdemic - N/A

How does one rate a film like this? It was so hilariously bad................I dunno....


BLASPHEMOUS is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 12:09 AM
  #113
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,282
vCash: 500
Rise of the Guardians - 7.5/10. Solid show from Dreamworks. Nothing to fancy but still solid.

thestonedkoala is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 11:40 AM
  #114
Everlong
JoeyBats
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,924
vCash: 500
Hard Boiled
Directed by John Woo

I've seen many of Woo's films but have never gotten around to see this one till now. You need to be in the right mindset/mood for a movie like this for sure. It's a shootout all the way through. Loved it's simplicity.

7.5/10

Everlong is online now  
Old
11-24-2012, 11:46 PM
  #115
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,851
vCash: 500
Red Tails - 7/10

So I was expecting Cuba Gooding Jr. to have a big role. The guy barely had any lines!

But I liked the story.

Vamos Rafa is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 01:12 AM
  #116
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,922
vCash: 500
Skyfall - 2
I didn't care too much about it, and even the things it's praised for didn't totally win me over.

Cons:
- I thought the themes were too in-your-face laid out on a silver platter
- The "clever dialogue/witty humor" usually in these movies felt more like eye-rolling blockbuster movie punchlines this time around-- I don't like the tone and Nolan-ism Mendes was going for at all.
- I agree that it was too similar to the Batman stuff (in addition to the way it plays out, even the mood/music gave me this feeling)-- That's magnified for me because I didn't particularly like this stuff the first time around.
- The Bond girls were very disappointing. The other movies had two breathtaking, can't-take-your-eyes-off-them ones each-- in this one, neither really grabbed me.
- Most of the dramatic moments felt pretty standard, cliched, and boring to me.

Pros:
- Some of the camp/fun was a nice thing to introduce back into the series. I particularly like how every time one of these moments happened, that Bond theme music kicks in and starts shamelessly blaring-- it almost seemed like a nice way to continuously reset the movie so that it feels more like an ongoing mythology rather than a cohesive story. I think this works better with Bond films.
- Popular movies need to have more creepy homosexual villains used as a stereotype-- it just works (I don't think Bartem was as much of a standout as others do though, but I liked that part of it).
- I liked some of the base themes/ideas, but I didn't think they were executed very well (big dramatic speeches set to montages, dialogue constantly reminding you about the "aging/over-the-hill" stuff). They weren't bad ideas, but it could have been great if it was more subtle, IMO.

Things I'm neutral about but were praised as amazing:
- I like the cinematography but not half as much as others seemed to. I've already forgotten all the images. Call me crazy, but I didn't think the Shanghai scenes stood out all that much compared to the rest of the movie, personally.
- I didn't like the Adele opening as much as I did the previous ones. Most of the visuals were really cool, but I didn't like the vocals (and those dragons at the end were silly).

I didn't think it was horrible, but I'm very disappointed.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 11-25-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Shareefruck is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
  #117
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,465
vCash: 500
Wendy and Lucy - 9/10

I loved Meek's Cutoff so I wanted to watch Reichardt's earlier movies. Like Meek's Cutoff, Wendy and Lucy moves along very slowly and although it doesn't like as nice, it is every bit as well done. I am not sure this movie is for everybody. There is no action, witty dialouge, suspense, or any real laughs. It is just a look in time at a woman stuck in a strange town trying to get her car to work but more importantly trying to find her dog. It might sound kind of dull but it was a pleasure to watch.

I would say that Michelle Williams gave a great acting performance but it didn't even seem like she was acting. She was so believable in every situation. I know in the Oscar thread, Jennifer Lawrence is getting a lot of love. There is no doubt she is amazing, but I think Williams is in a league of her own.

I guess I am going through Reichardt's films backwards but I now need to find Old Joy.


The Campaign - 3/10

Not a lot to say. Was kind of clever at times but overall just wasn't very funny


Last edited by Hemskyfanboy83: 11-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
  #118
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,730
vCash: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Wendy and Lucy - 9/10

I loved Meek's Cutoff so I wanted to watch Reichardt's earlier movies. Like Meek's Cutoff, Wendy and Lucy moves along very slowly and although it doesn't like as nice, it is every bit as well done. I am not sure this movie is for everybody. There is no action, witty dialouge, suspense, or any real laughs. It is just a look in time at a woman stuck in a strange town trying to get her car to work but more importantly trying to find her dog. It might sound kind of dull but it was a pleasure to watch.

I would say that Michelle Williams gave a great acting performance but it didn't even seem like she was acting. She was so believable in every situation. I know in the Oscar thread, Jennifer Lawrence is getting a lot of love. There is no doubt she is amazing, but I think Williams is in a league of her own.

I guess I am going through Reichardt's films backwards but I now need to find Old Joy.
Haven't seen Old Joy, but I also really like Wendy and Lucy and Meek's Cutoff. Do you like the Dardenne brothers work as well? They could have almost directed Wendy and Lucy and Reichardt could have almost directed The Kid with a Bike. My favourite movie of theirs, one of my favourites, period, is L'Enfant, about a teenage father who sells his baby without telling the teenage mother. Definitely worth checking out the Belgians if you like Reichardt's work. With all due respect, I agree about Williams over Lawrence, though it's like comparing Federer and Nadal in their prime--just awfully damn close, but really gifted either way.

kihei is online now  
Old
11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
  #119
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I would say that Michelle Williams gave a great acting performance but it didn't even seem like she was acting. She was so believable in every situation. I know in the Oscar thread, Jennifer Lawrence is getting a lot of love. There is no doubt she is amazing, but I think Williams is in a league of her own.
I remember every one talking about Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall for their brave performance in Brokeback Mountain, but I thought Michelle Williams was the most sympathetic character in the film. She was phenomenal.

In terms of the three most exciting actresses right now (in my opinion), it would go: Jennifer Lawrence, Michelle Williams, and Jessica Chastain.


Last edited by SB164: 11-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.
SB164 is online now  
Old
11-25-2012, 08:10 PM
  #120
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,166
vCash: 270
Dead Season.

Pretty poor zombie movie, but the lead was somewhat hot.. Still only a 3.5/10

Izzy is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
  #121
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,730
vCash: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
In terms of the three most exciting actresses right now (in my opinion), it would go: Jennifer Lawrence, Michelle Williams, and Jessica Chastain.
Chastain over Cotillard?

kihei is online now  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:59 PM
  #122
Stu Macher
Registered User
 
Stu Macher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burke, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
This thread is making me feel worse than usual about not seeing much of Michelle Williams' work. I could count the Michelle Williams films I've seen on one hand unfortunately, and haven't had the pleasure of seeing Wendy and Lucy, Blue Valentine, Meeks Cutoff, etc. I do have a lot of interest in these, as I did love her in Brokeback Mountain. I need to get on the ball.

Stu Macher is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 10:40 PM
  #123
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Chastain over Cotillard?
I know this sounds petty, but I just can't get over Cotillard's English accent

It bothers me just enough to take my mind out of the film. She's a talented actress no doubt, but I like her a whole lot more when she speaks French (which I have no problem understanding).

Chastain completely blew me away in Take Shelter, a role which could've otherwise been forgettable at the hands of lesser talented actress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
This thread is making me feel worse than usual about not seeing much of Michelle Williams' work. I could count the Michelle Williams films I've seen on one hand unfortunately, and haven't had the pleasure of seeing Wendy and Lucy, Blue Valentine, Meeks Cutoff, etc. I do have a lot of interest in these, as I did love her in Brokeback Mountain. I need to get on the ball.
She's just fearless in Blue Valentine. I love how she lacks any vanity in her performance.


Last edited by SB164: 11-25-2012 at 10:50 PM.
SB164 is online now  
Old
11-26-2012, 04:20 AM
  #124
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Haven't seen Old Joy, but I also really like Wendy and Lucy and Meek's Cutoff. Do you like the Dardenne brothers work as well? They could have almost directed Wendy and Lucy and Reichardt could have almost directed The Kid with a Bike. My favourite movie of theirs, one of my favourites, period, is L'Enfant, about a teenage father who sells his baby without telling the teenage mother. Definitely worth checking out the Belgians if you like Reichardt's work. With all due respect, I agree about Williams over Lawrence, though it's like comparing Federer and Nadal in their prime--just awfully damn close, but really gifted either way.
The only film of theirs that I have seen is The Kid with a Bike and I didn't love it. I felt it tried to cover too much ground in a short amount of time. Why did the hairdresser decide to let a boy she hadn't even talked to live with her? Why did the boy become so loyal to the dealer that quickly? These issues needed some more attention and as a result I found the film rushed. Reichardt's films seem to be more focused to me. I will definately try to watch L'Enfant though. It sounds quite interesting.

Oh and come on, Nadal > Federer. That's an easy one.


Last edited by Hemskyfanboy83: 11-26-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 06:46 AM
  #125
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,730
vCash: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
The only film of theirs that I have seen is The Kid with a Bike and I didn't love it. I felt it tried to cover too much ground in a short amount of time. Why did the hairdresser decide to let a boy she hadn't even talked to live with her? Why did the boy become so loyal to the dealer that quickly? These issues needed some more attention and as a result I found the film rushed. Reichardt's films seem to be more focused to me. I will definately try to watch L'Enfant though. It sounds quite interesting.
I agree with both those criticisms, which was the main reasons I thought it wasn't top ten material last year.

Quote:
Oh and come on, Nadal > Federer. That's an easy one.
growl

kihei is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.