HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
This is a little off topic, but I'm curious to hear about Sudbury's Frank Corrado. He's a Vancouver prospect that I've heard rave reviews about. Just wondering what you will think of him when you see him tonight.

Also, does Theoret look like the type who could be a grinder? Judging by his PIM he doesn't look that aggressive. His offensive numbers have been downright impressive.
Theoret plays a grinding game without taking a lot of penalties. Worked on his skills last summer
and taking advantage of playing with Strome and Ritchie. He's trying to earn a contract.

I''ll keep an eye on Corrado, could be like Theoret that he might be a bit of a late bloomer.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-24-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Thanks Degen Rex, despite my immense jealousy of you getting to watch Strome live, I really appreciate these scouting reports. How can you not be anything but excited about Strome ? He's added strength to an already special skills package, and with the amount of skilled forwards we have already in the AHL, he's going to make one of them better by being their center.

As far as Reinhart, I was one of the few Isle's fans that didn't neccasarily like this pick. With Grigarenko and Forsberg available, I thought the Isles may have been better off picking one of those guys. But watching him live, I can really see what all the hype is about. He plays such a smart, calm, confident game out there. Uses his stick defensively so well, he's great at boocking shots AND passing lanes, AND he will knock you on your ass if he feels its necessary. He really uses his size to his advantage with great wing span as well. The announcers just rave about his defensive game. I remember he made a great defensive play, and the announcer said "that is what is going to make him a great NHL defenseman".

What I like about him too is, you can see that he has some offensive capabilities too, the goal he scored last night was not only a bullet, but also a great one-timer, it's a kind of shot people with confidence take. He'll never be an offensive dynamo, but he does have some offensive tendencies. I'm totally sold on the kid, and can see why people love his game and hockey IQ. 2015, we'll have Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, Hamonic, McDonald & Donovan as our top 6 on the D corps. Pretty damned talented group.
Just about to go for dinner and then walk over to the arena for tonight's game. This is the final
of the 2 games for me here in St Catherines. Niagara plays in Oshawa tomorrow but I'm leaving early in the morning my job here is done, have to be back at school Monday.

Scott, as I posted above I got back to the hotel late in the Edmonton game so did not see much.From the posts seen here on the board everybody is really impressed with Reinhart.
PS-you left my guy Pelech off your list, big fan of his.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:42 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Wow... haven't seen any of the Niagara game, just going off the stat sheet but:

I looked earlier at the score and saw that it was 5-1 Sudbury over Niagara, with Strome pointless. Didn't know what period but assumed it was late. I checked again 30 minutes or so later to see that the score is now 5-5, with Strome collected assists on all of the last 4 Niagara goals(3 of them were primary assists).

I hope Rex stayed for the whole game...

Old
11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Wow... haven't seen any of the Niagara game, just going off the stat sheet but:

I looked earlier at the score and saw that it was 5-1 Sudbury over Niagara, with Strome pointless. Didn't know what period but assumed it was late. I checked again 30 minutes or so later to see that the score is now 5-5, with Strome collected assists on all of the last 4 Niagara goals(3 of them were primary assists).

I hope Rex stayed for the whole game...
I noticed that too. Niagara won 6-5 in a SO. Strome did some work in the 3rd period.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:22 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I noticed that too. Niagara won 6-5 in a SO. Strome did some work in the 3rd period.
Just came here to post that. He scored one of Niagara's two goals in the SO as well(Hamilton had the other). This kid is sick.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:58 PM
xECK29x

Strome now has 50pts in 26gms.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Strome now has 50pts in 26gms.
Whatever, he needs to have at least 2 pts per game just to meet expectations.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Degeneration Rex

I'm back at the hotel, just back from the game. I can't believe what I saw tonight. You had to be here in person-Strome turned into a BEAST tonight. Hw was not going to be denied and when he was he continued to raise his game, he was relentless. The 6-5 score by itself doesn't tell the story.

Truth was Niagara was terrible for the first 44 minutes of this game. Graham was better tonight,
getting a second assist as Niagara scored late in the first for a 1-0 lead.

Niagara could not do a thing right in the second. They started their rookie 16 year old back up goalie
Brent Moran, he gave up 2 quick weak goals. Sudbury got 2 more in the period as Niagara was very sloppy in their own end. The best chance Niagara had in the second was shorthanded as on a 2 on 1
Strome fed Ritchie a beautiful saucer pass but the Sudbury goalie made a great stop.

Sudbury made it 5-1 with about 4 minutes into the third. There was no sign what was to happen
the last 6 minutes of regulation time. With 5:26 left on a powerplay Strome's shot could not be handled by Sudbury's goalie Joel Vienneau, Shipley put home the rebound. About 40 seconds later Strome feed Hamilton at the point, again the rebound was not controlled and was put home by Theoret to make it 5-3.

With 4:10 left Niagara was called for penalty. Strome took a break away pass from Hamilton but was stopped. Just seconds later Strome had another chance shorthanded on a 2 on 1 but barley missed the net and appeared to be mad at himself for missing.

Niagara pulled Moran and Hamilton scored on a point shot with 28 seconds left. On the face-off
at center ice Niagara kept moran on the bench. Strome won the face off and the puck was dumped into the Sudbury zone. Shipley dug the puck out to Strome, he fired a hard cross ice pass to Ritchie
on the left side which he buried with a one timer with 7 seconds left.

Overtime continued the drama,just 17 seconds in Strome split the D, went in on a breakaway but was slashed. It could have easily be a penalty shot but only a minor was called. On the powerplay
Strome had two scoring chances, set up Ritchie and Hamilton for 2 more. The Sudbury goalie was the reason the game remained tied.

Neither team scored in round one of the shootout. Strome scored when coming on goal he went to the backhand and the puck bobbled. With those great hands, he settled the puck down went forehand and wristed the puck into the net. Hamilton scored on his shootout to end the game.

I'll add more in a few minutes. I wouldn't mind going to Oshawa for Sunday's afternoon game but
I'm leaving early Sunday morning. What a game!!!!!!

The Niagara comeback was due to their two star players. Theoret was solid though who on Niagara could stand out after Strome and Hamilton.

This one is for Benny. Sudbury d man Frank Corrado was steady. He skates well and his strength is his ability to move the puck.
Upside is a third pair type.

Finally what happened in this game-I don't have enough of an imagination to make it up. You just would have had to been here.
I had a great time the last 2 nights. If you can get to a junior game, you will have fun too, but I doubt you will see what happened tonight, it was
just so improbable. Thanks for reading these posts, Rex.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-24-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 12:35 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
I'm back at the hotel, just back from the game. I can't believe what I saw tonight. You had to be here in person-Strome turned into a BEAST tonight. Hw was not going to be denied and when he was he continued to raise his game, he was relentless. The 6-5 score by itself doesn't tell the story.

Truth was Niagara was terrible for the first 44 minutes of this game. Graham was better tonight,
getting a second assist as Niagara scored late in the first for a 1-0 lead.

Niagara could not do a thing right in the second. They started their rookie 16 year old back up goalie
Brent Moran, he gave up 2 quick weak goals. Sudbury got 2 more in the period as Niagara was very sloppy in their own end. The best chance Niagara had in the second was shorthanded as on a 2 on 1
Strome fed Ritchie a beautiful saucer pass but the Sudbury goalie made a great stop.

Sudbury made it 5-1 with about 4 minutes into the third. There was no sign what was to happen
the last 6 minutes of regulation time. With 5:26 left on a powerplay Strome's shot could not be handled by Sudbury's goalie Joel Vienneau, Shipley put home the rebound. About 40 seconds later Strome feed Hamilton at the point, again the rebound was not controlled and was put home by Theoret to make it 5-3.

With 4:10 left Niagara was called for penalty. Strome took a break away pass from Hamilton but was stopped. Just seconds later Strome had another chance shorthanded on a 2 on 1 but barley missed the net and appeared to be mad at himself for missing.

Niagara pulled Moran and Hamilton scored on a point shot with 28 seconds left. On the face-off
at center ice Niagara kept moran on the bench. Strome won the face off and the puck was dumped into the Sudbury zone. Shipley dug the puck out to Strome, he fired a hard cross ice pass to Ritchie
on the left side which he buried with a one timer with 7 seconds left.

Overtime continued the drama,just 17 seconds in Strome split the D, went in on a breakaway but was slashed. It could have easily be a penalty shot but only a minor was called. On the powerplay
Strome had two scoring chances, set up Ritchie and Hamilton for 2 more. The Sudbury goalie was the reason the game remained tied.

Neither team scored in round one of the shootout. Strome scored when coming on goal he went to the backhand and the puck bobbled. With those great hands, he settled the puck down went forehand and wristed the puck into the net. Hamilton scored on his shootout to end the game.

I'll add more in a few minutes. I wouldn't mind going to Oshawa for Sunday's afternoon game but
I'm leaving early Sunday morning. What a game!!!!!!

The Niagara comeback was due to their two star players. Theoret was solid though who on Niagara could stand out after Strome and Hamilton.

This one is for Benny. Sudbury d man Frank Corrado was steady. He skates well and his strength is his ability to move the puck.
Upside is a third pair type.

Finally what happened in this game-I don't have enough of an imagination to make it up. You just would have had to been here.
I had a great time the last 2 nights. If you can get to a junior game, you will have fun too, but I doubt you will see what happened tonight, it was
just so improbable. Thanks for reading these posts, Rex.
Sounds even more unbelievable then just seeing the score sheet. I really hope Strome is the real deal because we need to capitalize on another huge top 5 pick. Just really blows we didn't get to see any camp action from him with the BS that is going on...

Old
11-25-2012, 02:19 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Sounds even more unbelievable then just seeing the score sheet. I really hope Strome is the real deal because we need to capitalize on another huge top 5 pick. Just really blows we didn't get to see any camp action from him with the BS that is going on...
I hate to say this but one of the positives of the lockout is we don't have to see Strome, Niederreiter or Reinhart playing for us this season(basically how it should be). I do fear if the season were on 1 if not 2 of those guys would be in an Islanders Jersey right now

Old
11-25-2012, 06:03 AM
Degeneration Rex

Good morning everybody. Just about to leave St Catherines, should be home for football this afternoon. Niagara is playing Oshawa at 2 today, after what happened last night there could be a let down.

In a post above, blinkman360 wanted to know if I left early. Since I don't get up here often I was no leaving, just hope Strome would at least get a point to continue his streak. When Sudbury scored in the third the crowd started to thin out. The Garden City Complex, a great old barn (opened 1936)
holds around 3,000, both nights I was here were sellouts. When Niagara started the comeback at least half the crowd had left but it was still very noisy late in the game.

As I woke up to pack this morning, it was still hard to believe what happened last night.
If you have any questions or comments, I'll be home this afternoon listening to Niagara's
game at Oshawa while watching football. Talk then, Rex.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-25-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 10:52 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Thanks for the reports DRex. Very happy with Strome's play, he's looking more stud and dud and that's an accomplishment in itself for this franchise.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:32 AM
bossy22

https://twitter.com/strome18/status/272539421507715073

Old
11-25-2012, 11:40 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Good morning everybody. Just about to leave St Catherines, should be home for football this afternoon. Niagara is playing Oshawa at 2 today, after what happened last night there could be a let down.

In a post above, blinkman360 wanted to know if I left early. Since I don't get up here often I was no leaving, just hope Strome would at least get a point to continue his streak. When Sudbury scored in the third the crowd started to thin out. The Garden City Complex, a great old barn (opened 1936)
holds around 3,000, both nights I was here were sellouts. When Niagara started the comeback at least half the crown had left but it was still very noisy late in the game.

As I woke up to pack this morning, it was still hard to believe what happened last night.
If you have any questions or comments, I'll be home this afternoon listening to Niagara's
game at Oshawa while watching football. Talk then, Rex.
Have a safe trip home. Thanks for your coverage, and I appreciate you keeping an eye on Corrado for me, I wanted to know about the hype around him.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I am clearly not alone when I say you should take your own advice and keep it to yourself. There's numerous people who have grown tired of reading it.
My advice was about you simply ignoring me and what I write here. It was also about not bothering to respond if you felt the need to be detrimental, go on a witchhunt or give me a hockey knowledge spanking of sorts.

You chose to respond and your response consisted of the repitition of a number of points that I had mostly agreed and conceded to throughout my discussion on this Clark/Spurgeon topic, points that still do not alleviate the viable need to scratch one's head in this case over why/how Snow ultimately makes his asset management decisions for a losing team. This was surrounded and spiced up with more downtalking, compartmentalizing, suggesting I do things that I don't necessarily do, and basically telling me not to post (presumably on asset management-related issues), because a few posters have a different opinion/approach/take on happenings in Islanderville and are 'tired' of reading otherwise.

Nobody here is being forced to read or respond to things. We can also be very civil about how we disagree with each other here without taking direct or underlying shots at each other's credibility.

Speaking of which...
Quote:
Here's my problem with you and the way you present your opinions -- you beat the same drum over and over and often ignore any facts or rebuttals people make that shoot down the theory you want to believe. They can even make a slight concession and you will ignore everything else (i.e. points you present that are proven to be false) and go on with your same ol' same ol' and a day or two later, spout the same thing again and again as if you're some sort of authority on the subject when you clearly are not.
That bolded part is the EXACT same impression I have of you.

Again, if you don't like the ideas and things I'm throwing out there, fine, simply ignore them. Don't comment on them.

I am not directing them at you. I am not challenging you. I can't remember the last time I've commented on something you've thrown out there in a disagreeing, much less negative manner.

You have clearly targeted my content/contributions in an almost trolling manner. To say that some of your responses are wrought with snide comments is an understatement.

This is undesired.

I'll let the mods decide if you're getting too close to what HFBoards considers to be defamation/slandering/character assassination.

For the sake of this forum though, I will follow my own advice and simply do the same thing I'm asking of you: Just ignore your posts from here on out.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
IMO, the most likely reason Aaron Ness was signed was because the Islanders staff remained high on his upside, but were not please with how he was being handled at Minnesota under Lucia (same coach that they pulled Okposo away from mid-season).
Yep, can definitely follow that.

Quote:
In Spurgeon's case, for whatever reason, the Islanders likely did not see his upside to be as high as other similar prospects in the system, and didn't feel they had the roster space (contract limit) or role for him in the organization. In 2010 they already had Katic, Reese and Kohn on the BST roster, Donovan and Ness were signed at the end of the season, and De Haan was signed after the season ended. As such, they let him walk. It's something teams do all the time, and sometimes they turn out to be wrong.
Indeed. And at the time, this was the very understandable thinking behind this, although (as opposed i.e. to Niemi) I was quite impressed with Spurgeon's achievements in the WHL as well as some of things that were being said about him from fans of the team or regular WHL watchers, some from around these boards. He just seemed like a guy you'd want to observe throughout an ELC in light of his achievements to that point in time - and in light of the league he was doing things in, especially taking that size into consideration.

Just by the by, I'm truly interested in seeing who of Ness and Spurgeon is ultimately going to have the better career, or if either will have a 'real' NHL career whatsoever. Their draft position notwithstanding, we have fairly similar player profiles where the one we didn't sign has been more successful than the one we did sign, both before and after their respective signings.

Quote:
However, it's not like there was a bidding war for Spurgeon when he was UFA, and as I recall, it took him a while before finding a taker. This would indicate that the Islanders weren't alone in their opinion that he didn't have NHL upside, and that many scouts league wide shared the opinion. While that doesn't make the Islanders any more correct, it does lend legitimacy to the decision.
Yep, no bidding wars. I think he simply was invited to the Wild's pro camp and impressed enough to get that ELC.

Quote:
Jason Clark, I have no idea on. But again, the most likely scenario is likely the correct one. IMO, that would simply be that they had the roster space, and felt he could fulfill a role on the BST and maybe develop into a useful bottom six player in the future. They may be wrong on this one too, but again, it'd hardly be the first a team signed a prospect that didn't pan out.
Came pretty quickly after the prospects camp. There was obviously something no later than there that made them want to bring him into the fold. From the outside looking in, one has to wonder what exactly merits that signing based on his situation (injury and non-effectiveness) to date, even if there is financial and contractual flexibility.

I think the signing raised an eyebrow by many and it still should based on what's happened to date. Naturally, it could still work out. And in the grand scheme of things, it will hardly mean a thing if it doesn't.

Quote:
By and large I am satisfied with the job the Islanders have done with the prospect pool. Have some errors been made? Of course, but that's true of every single team in the league. But I think we have a great prospect pool, and that's more important to me than breaking down each and every time hindsight shows they didn't make the absolute best choice.
We've got some real goodins and a lot of options - many made possible by many years of losing, but fortunately accompanied particularly by a number of good later round picks.

Gotta hope management will find a way to correctly determine which of them are the absolute top components and how to most properly put them in a situation to best help this team become a winner, all the while being ample in turning those who don't make it into other assets.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 11-25-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
If you have any questions or comments, I'll be home this afternoon listening to Niagara's game at Oshawa while watching football. Talk then, Rex.
Thanks a ton for all the on-site reports!

Really enjoyed reading it all.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
The Islanders took Jared Clark in the third round. It seems like they liked him then, and now. From what I saw at prospect camp, he didn't look like a player with two hip surgeries. He was a much better passer than I expected, and seemed like he saw the ice well and knew where to be.
For what it's worth, I felt he looked pretty good athletically and much better than I'd have expected (had I even had any expectations) based on the prospect scrimmages they showed on IslesTV.

All the more curiosity as to what's been going on with him thus far, BUT, kind of like with Strome not too long ago, no sooner do we start talking about him and suddenly something's happening.

After just one game in the first 12 or so, he's now played three in a row and has two assists to his credit.

Interesting...

Quote:
I also remember the days when the Islanders didn't have a legitimate AHL affiliate, and often borrowed prospects from other teams, and how we used to never be able to bring Europeans or Russians to the AHL. We're not only drafting Europeans and Russians, but they are signing to play in the AHL (Klementyev and Kabanov, Sundstrom, Ullstrom, Niederreiter, Figren, etc.). It used to be we would draft guys like Doug Rogers and Brian Day and Shea Guthrie, who were decent college players with absolutely no chance of making it to the AHL.

Not only do we have a Bridgeport Sound Tigers affiliate, Charles Wang strategically bought them after suing the affiliate's former owners for not paying affiliation dues, giving us an AHL affiliate a short car ride from the Coliseum in case of emergency call-ups (thank god Kentucky Thoroughblades collapsed and we got the hell out of Lowell), we then got an ECHL affiliate, and then added a CHL affiliate in 2008.

Hey... You're a passionate hockey guy. Do you have no motivation to wonder what that's about?
Hmmmm, not sure if you're trying to make a certain point here?

Like you, I lived through that. Suffered like the rest. Know exactly what that was all about. Am very thankful that that period is over. Very thankful.

In general, I don't consider myself a Wang-detractor at all and generally find it suspect that some can view him with such spite considering how forlorn this franchise was.

Quote:
No one dislikes it, but it gets tired after awhile.
I'm assuming you're referring to my mentioning a number of things, be they expectations or small criticisms (that I feel add up), and this irks people, because they see it as a form armchair GMing that apparently is unwelcomed by some.

Believe me, I'll feel nary a reason to be critical about things when this club is winning and displays a (good) bit more clarity in its handlings along the way.

Otherwise, so what? Is the desire to 'correct' someone of this condition so great that things can't be discussed without taking pot shots along the way?

You recently asked me to stop being a 'blind armchair GM', but I certainly wouldn't carry on discussions about things I'm questioned on if points I were making were completely dispelled. On top of it all, we're usually talking about terribly unimportant things and some people will always find the need to denounce certain possibilities that, in another maybe less hostile conversational situation, they'd hardly spend any time or need to denounce, or perhaps even talk about whatsoever.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Let's move along please. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

11-25-2012, 02:19 PM
StrongIslanders90

Nino-Tavares-Strome

Reinhart-Hamonic

When we are finally able to roll that starting 5 out some day its going to be a good time to be an isles fan.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:55 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Nino-Tavares-Strome
Reinhart-Hamonic

When we are finally able to roll that starting 5 out some day its going to be a good time to be an isles fan.
Mouson's scored at least 30 goals a season, in his 3 full seasons with the isles. We should be so lucky to get that kind of consistent goal scoring from Nino.

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Nino-B.Nelson-Okposo
Grabner/KK- Nielsen-Ullstrom
Perrson-Cizikas-Martin

Reinhart-Hamonic

Old
11-25-2012, 04:54 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Mouson's scored at least 30 goals a season, in his 3 full seasons with the isles. We should be so lucky to get that kind of consistent goal scoring from Nino.

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Nino-B.Nelson-Okposo
Grabner/KK- Nielsen-Ullstrom
Perrson-Cizikas-Martin

Reinhart-Hamonic
JT and Moulson are a pair...

Also alot depends on the development of Nelson..
I was always on he side of keeping Strome down the middle for a 1-2 punch with JT but Nelson has made me open to putting Strome on the wing...Nelson looks like he could be a legit big bodied #2 Center... I dont know that Nelson and Moulson's game go great together anyway...All in all these are great problems to have

Old
11-25-2012, 05:10 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
JT and Moulson are a pair...

Also alot depends on the development of Nelson..
I was always on he side of keeping Strome down the middle for a 1-2 punch with JT but Nelson has made me open to putting Strome on the wing...Nelson looks like he could be a legit big bodied #2 Center... I dont know that Nelson and Moulson's game go great together anyway...All in all these are great problems to have
They are great problems to have

Old
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Degeneration Rex

Sunday

Oshawa 3, Niagara 1-Strome, 1 assist, even, Theoret, even, Graham, even.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:32 PM
scott99

Quote:
Sunday

Oshawa 3, Niagara 1-Strome, 1 assist, even, Theoret, even, Graham, even.
Strome is obviously a bust ;-)

Closed Thread