HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 10:16 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Nothing against the cfl but the problem is they are inferior players to nfl.When is the last time a cfl club recruited a highly touted college star?How can you pay big dollars to watch athletes making 50 thousand dollars a year?Why not support your universities the way they do in quebec.UBC gets hundreds a game but their giving their best.The NHL the NBA MlB formula1 the pga tour these are the big leagues.The cfl great history but the past 3 decades no top player unless Nfl makes a mistake like garcia or wake.
Why would a highly touted college player play in the CFL when they want to play in the NFL? How is that the CFL's fault those highly touted players would rather directly go to where they want to play their whole lives?

I don't see what you're trying to say though. We all know the CFL isn't the NFL, so I dot now why you brought up all of the big leagues in sport.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:28 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

vCash: 500
ugh not more nfl vs cfl. we all know nfl players are faster, stronger, and more athletic but you can still enjoy watching both leagues

Old
11-25-2012, 10:29 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
ugh not more nfl vs cfl. we all know nfl players are faster, stronger, and more athletic but you can still enjoy watching both leagues
Exactly. There's a reason why the NFL is called the NFL. The CFL is Canada's NFL, so I don't see why it's always in discussion with the NFL and whatnot.

IMO, one thing the CFL beats the NFL in, is championship trophies.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:35 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Exactly. There's a reason why the NFL is called the NFL. The CFL is Canada's NFL, so I don't see why it's always in discussion with the NFL and whatnot.

IMO, one thing the CFL beats the NFL in, is championship trophies.
And a more entertaining product to be honest. It's not even close really. The CFL offers far more excitement.

11-25-2012, 10:39 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
And a more entertaining product to be honest. It's not even close really. The CFL offers far more excitement.
I agree. I'm really turned off by the NFL after watching the CFL because I find it more entertaining. The constant running of the ball because of four down football is so boring to me now. In the CFL, you have to gain 10 yards in two plays of you're off the field, which brings in more passing it seems. If only we had a league with more then 8 teams (soon to be 9 teams) then we'd have a league that would likely attract more people.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:41 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Nothing against the cfl but the problem is they are inferior players to nfl.When is the last time a cfl club recruited a highly touted college star?How can you pay big dollars to watch athletes making 50 thousand dollars a year?Why not support your universities the way they do in quebec.UBC gets hundreds a game but their giving their best.The NHL the NBA MlB formula1 the pga tour these are the big leagues.The cfl great history but the past 3 decades no top player unless Nfl makes a mistake like garcia or wake.
I've been watching the CFL for 2 decades, and I'm not going to stop. We watch the CFL because it's our pro league, it's the highest level we have in this country. All this anti-CFL rhetoric, it makes me sick. We've heard it all before and it won't stop us from watching the CFL. We don't have NFL teams, we're not going to move to the States just so we can go to NFL games, but we still want to see live pro football without having to cross the border. And a lot of us have been cheering for whatever CFL teams we cheer for for a long time, we're die hard fans. The Lions are of the same importance to me as the Canucks. Pay big dollars? Even at the worst, it's still way more affordable than an NFL game. I watch both leagues, but if I was paying to go to 8 games for an NFL team, it would be like paying for Canucks season tickets. I've gone to Grey Cups, but if I wanted to pay for a Super Bowl ticket, I'd have to take out a loan. And why wouldn't I want to support a player making $50,000 a year? He's trying to make a living. And you're insinuating that university players give it their all but CFL players don't. We know the players are better in the NFL. **** it, though, it's still fun to watch. Seems like you made an unprovoked and needless post.

I mean, where do you come off posting this trash?

Old
11-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
The opening day Als/Riders game was one of the best football games I've seen.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Amazing what can happen when you throw the ball deep and let your running back actually run with the ball.
or when you mysteriously get no penalties during the entire game until fairly late in the game (like last week) vs this week where they had a ton of penalties. Stamps were they own worst enemy.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Rocko604

Glad Toronto won. Still hate Ricky Foley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOMO View Post
I mean, where do you come off posting this trash?
He's got a point though. It is an inferior league. Not only should we scrap the CFL, but might as well get rid of the AHL and Minor League Baseball while we're at it!

If the Vancouver Canadians were to become Triple-A and win the Triple-A World Series, I could him coming in here and saying "So what? It's not the majors."

Old
11-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Happy the Stamps are going to lose. Hopefully this Grey Cup win can spark interest in the Argos again in Toronto.
I think we all hope this. We need the Argos to be a viable franchise. Go Argos! For the good of the beloved CFL!

On the anti-CFL comment, I still think the player-quality is a little overstated. We have a lot of phenomenal athletes in the CFL. I think we need to improve the quality of CFL athletes by having a more advanced university system in this country. My one regret about going to UVIC is that we didn't have a football or hockey team. I would have loved to watched some football with my fellow students.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I think we all hope this. We need the Argos to be a viable franchise. Go Argos! For the good of the beloved CFL!

On the anti-CFL comment, I still think the player-quality is a little overstated. We have a lot of phenomenal athletes in the CFL. I think we need to improve the quality of CFL athletes by having a more advanced university system in this country. My one regret about going to UVIC is that we didn't have a football or hockey team. I would have loved to watched some football with my fellow students.
What would you suggest?

I've been keeping an eye on SFU, and their transition into NCAA Division 2. While obviously not FBS, or FCS for that matter, there is the argument that it is stronger than CIS. While i'm not suggesting that SFU is going to steal away recruits from the likes of Laval or McMaster just yet, I would like to think that in a few years they'll put themselves in the position to be to get the best of the best in Canada. Exception of course being those that can get Div 1 scholarships. They've been getting better every year too, so that's encouraging to see. 5-6 overall, 4-6 conference this season.

Scholarship rules in Division 2 are different as well. They're only able to use 36 scholarships for football. How they use them, whether they give out full rides or split all of them, is up to the school. FBS gets 85.

Last point, bring back the Shrum Bowl!!

Old
11-27-2012, 08:06 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of his music, but to call his music subpar is absurd. His history speaks for itself.
History based on what? Record sales??

Old
11-27-2012, 08:32 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

He looks like a flat chested girl, and his appeal is to 12 year old flat chested girls.
He's got innate talent, no question, but until he hits the gym or the buffet and sells records as something other than Tiger Beat fodder, he'll really have zero credibility. He's four guys short of being O-Town, at least in the minds of most.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:17 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
He looks like a flat chested girl, and his appeal is to 12 year old flat chested girls.
He's got innate talent, no question, but until he hits the gym or the buffet and sells records as something other than Tiger Beat fodder, he'll really have zero credibility. He's four guys short of being O-Town, at least in the minds of most.
I saw some tweets on Twitter while he was on stage about how buff he looked. If Bieber is jacked, I'm absolutely shredded.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:21 AM
luongoisdaman

Hopefully this is the right thread to bump for this:

Quote:
According to TSN's Farhan Lalji the Lions will announce that they've re-signed Lulay to a two-year extension worth $450,000 with an option for a third year at a 9am pt news conference Thursday.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=413744

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES!!!

Old
01-17-2013, 08:39 PM
PG Canuck

Happy to have Lulay stay, as Reilly is all but gone

Old
01-18-2013, 06:28 PM
roach9

Quote:
CFL on TSN ‏@CFLonTSN
Report: Alouettes to speak to Argos DC Chris Jones & Lions OC/QB coach Jacques Chapdelaine #CFL #TSN - Details: http://******/gWGNH
GET RID OF JC, PLEASE.

That would be great, thanks Montreal.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Parker and Bruce released to accommodate Lulay's extension.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Alan Jackson

Several reports this morning that the Lions are shopping Geroy. I think that's mistake, both off an on the field.

I think Geory's earned the right to leave the Lions how and when he chooses, no?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=414276

Old
01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
roach9

Shopping Simon?!

Why would we do this.
Our team is good for the future... even if he stays in a mentoring role (unless HE doesn't want this).

This seems wrong and I am sure Buono and Simon are in talks regarding it. No way he just gets dumped in Hamilton for a few picks or something.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Alan Jackson

Sounds like the Lions are doing Simon "a favour" bceause they don't want to pay him his current contract, and Simon doesn't want to re-work his deal.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...de-market.html

Quote:
The B.C. Lions have given all-star receiver Geroy Simon permission to check out the CFL trade market.

General manager Wally Buono said Tuesday he's giving Simon the opportunity gauge potential interest because the Lions aren't prepared to pay the veteran his current contract.
To me, Simon should be paid what he's owed. He's earned it. Hopefully, other teams aren't interested and they can come to some agreement on a smaller contract to keep him here.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Rocko604

Wally...

Anything less than Chad Owens is a bad trade. I would also accept Jovon Johnson, Terrance Edwards and three first round picks.

Last edited by Rocko604: 01-23-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Hmmm two high profile athletes in Vancouver both on the trade market.

Solution: trade for eachother?

Old
01-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Hmmm two high profile athletes in Vancouver both on the trade market.

Solution: trade for eachother?
Now you're just being silly.

The Lions can't afford that contract.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Now you're just being silly.

The Lions can't afford that contract.
Well we could retain some salary. Would be funny to see a photoshop of this.

Closed Thread