HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The new All Purpose Lu Thread (MOD Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 09:14 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
To be fair, how many cap-spending teams could improve if the cap were to go down by 10 mil?
Who knows, but everyone would be in the same boat. I can tell you this though, if the cap does go down 10 million which is not a stretch, there wont be any teams that pay two goalies nearly 10 million combined, and believe that to be a sound business decison, and cap friendly long term move. Continue to hang on to Lou, and his cap hit, i'm sure his value will somehow increase over time with that nice contract he brings.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Who knows, but everyone would be in the same boat. I can tell you this though, if the cap does go down 10 million which is not a stretch, there wont be any teams that pay two goalies nearly 10 million combined, and believe that to be a sound business decison, and cap friendly long term move. Continue to hang on to Lou, and his cap hit, i'm sure his value will somehow increase over time with that nice contract he brings.
Well with goalies like Rinne or Lundqvist making around 7 mil, with another 1-2 mil on a backup, it wouldn't be too far off of 9.3 mil.

But I doubt both goalies would be a long term solution. But there is no pressure as of now for us to take a deal that doesn't help us.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:21 PM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=Vankiller Whale;56034463]Well with goalies like Rinne or Lundqvist making around 7 mil, with another 1-2 mil on a backup, it wouldn't be too far off of 9.3 mil.

But I doubt both goalies would be a long term solution. But there is no pressure as of now for us to take a deal that doesn't help us.[/QUOTE]

Of course not. Continue to keep both goalies and pay their cap hits, i'm sure as Lou gets older his value will increase at some point? Lundqvist is arguably the best goalie in the NHL, hence the cap hit. Lou is not, and he is taking a 5 million dollar cap hit to potentially not the be the starter.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Well with goalies like Rinne or Lundqvist making around 7 mil, with another 1-2 mil on a backup, it wouldn't be too far off of 9.3 mil.

But I doubt both goalies would be a long term solution. But there is no pressure as of now for us to take a deal that doesn't help us.
New York: 8.175M
Nashville: 8.5M

Just to put up the actual numbers. Doesn't seem to hurt either of them all that much.

Old
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Boston, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, Philadelphia, San Jose, Chicago, Buffalo.

Welcome to all the teams screwed under a 62M cap. And this does not account for teams forced to remain stagnate. Still think the league will drop the cap that low?
Not sure, just going off what I hear.

Old
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
New York: 8.175M
Nashville: 8.5M

Just to put up the actual numbers. Doesn't seem to hurt either of them all that much.
Look at the term. Let's be objectionable.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
marty111

Quote:
That would be my answer.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

[QUOTE=New Liskeard;56034543]
Quote:

But I doubt both goalies would be a long term solution. But there is no pressure as of now for us to take a deal that doesn't help us./QUOTE]

Of course not. Continue to keep both goalies and pay their cap hits, i'm sure as Lou gets older his value will increase at some point? Lundqvist is arguably the best goalie in the NHL, hence the cap hit. Lou is not, and he is taking a 5 million dollar cap hit to potentially not the be the starter.
That does not mean we sell him off for scraps to help out Toronto. We're willing to move either him or Schneider but for something of value, not your trash. Seeing Schneider was brought up again. What offers do we get there?

Old
11-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Aye, lets. Neither Lu or Schneider have a NMC, therefore they are easily movable. Both have excellent cap hits now and while Lu's term is considerable. The salary requirements dwindle to next to nothing by the end. This is ideal for teams hoping to reach the cap floor without spending a lot.

Finally, do believe Lundqvist will command less than $6.875M in just two years? Coincidentally, he would be the same age Lu is now - supposedly the goalie death age.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Rinne is signed until he's 37 at 7 mil. Is that really any better than Luongo until 40(realistically) at 5.3?

Old
11-25-2012, 09:46 PM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=Bourne Endeavor;56034629][QUOTE=New Liskeard;56034543]

That does not mean we sell him off for scraps to help out Toronto. We're willing to move either him or Schneider but for something of value, not your trash. Seeing Schneider was brought up again. What offers do we get there?[/QUOTE]

I suppose you have the power to veto or accept any trade proposals and make them into reality? If not, why ask and engage in a discusion that no one has the real knowledge or abilty to do something with it. This discusion is about Lou, and the cap implications he brings to the Nucks if he stays, and how his age, NTC and long contract limit the ammount of suitors and his value.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:48 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Rinne is signed until he's 37 at 7 mil. Is that really any better than Luongo until 40(realistically) at 5.3?
Is Rinne on the block, and wants to leave his team as Lou has mentioned? Otherwise what is the relevance?

Old
11-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Is Rinne on the block, and wants to leave his team as Lou has mentioned? Otherwise what is the relevance?
Right now we're simply looking at the plausibility of spending around 9 mil on goaltending. It may not be ideal, but it's plausible.

And both Luongo and Gillis have said they are fine starting the season with him in Vancouver. Any speculation on him being a "locker room cancer" is just that. Luongo's never demanded a trade, and the only reason he's on the block is because we have an opportunity to improve our team.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:05 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Right now we're simply looking at the plausibility of spending around 9 mil on goaltending. It may not be ideal, but it's plausible.

And both Luongo and Gillis have said they are fine starting the season with him in Vancouver. Any speculation on him being a "locker room cancer" is just that. Luongo's never demanded a trade, and the only reason he's on the block is because we have an opportunity to improve our team.
You skirted the question I see. Rinne and Lou are not comparable, and if you think both contracts are similar, then you are fooling yourself. No one ever said Lou would be a cancer, where are you getting this from. If Lou is happy in Vancouver, why would he be open to being moved, and I gather he was happy riding the pine in the playoffs? Every GM and hockey fan wants to see their team improve, GM's also have to be cap compliant. The discusion is about keeping two goalies at the cap hit they currently have with the cap likely going down. Combine that with the assumption that Lou's value will not decrease due to his age, and having a limited ammount of teams that would take his contract, and limited teams on this NTC, is ridiculous to expect a kings randsome in return, when the team will likely have to trade one of the eventually anyway.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:13 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Isn't Luongo signed until he's 42?

Old
11-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
You skirted the question I see. Rinne and Lou are not comparable, and if you think both contracts are similar, then you are fooling yourself. No one ever said Lou would be a cancer, where are you getting this from. If Lou is happy in Vancouver, why would he be open to being moved, and I gather he was happy riding the pine in the playoffs? Every GM and hockey fan wants to see their team improve, GM's also have to be cap compliant. The discusion is about keeping two goalies at the cap hit they currently have with the cap likely going down. Combine that with the assumption that Lou's value will not decrease due to his age, and having a limited ammount of teams that would take his contract, and limited teams on this NTC, is ridiculous to expect a kings randsome in return, when the team will likely have to trade one of the eventually anyway.
No one is expecting a king's ransom for Luongo. We're expecting a fair return that allows both teams to address their needs. If there is no such deal to be made, then we may very well end up dealing Schneider. There is no reason for us to take a lowball offer any more than there is for Toronto to pay a king's ransom. The problem is that "King's Ransom" and "Lowball" are subjective terms.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:14 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:

He's definetly publically "welcomed" a trade...

Old
11-25-2012, 10:24 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
No one is expecting a king's ransom for Luongo. We're expecting a fair return that allows both teams to address their needs. If there is no such deal to be made, then we may very well end up dealing Schneider. There is no reason for us to take a lowball offer any more than there is for Toronto to pay a king's ransom. The problem is that "King's Ransom" and "Lowball" are subjective terms.
I can make the obvious even more obvious if you need. Nucks fans are expecting a team to take on a goalie who has a very long contract, who is open to leaving Vancouver, aleiviate the cap issues Lou brings to Vancouver, the other team inheriting the risk and a long contract that could have a long term cap hit even if he doesnt play, and expect a return that would be similar to that of Lou in his mid twenties? No team is going to line up and help Vancouver with their potential cap issues, take on an older goalie who may only have a few good years left, take on this long term hit, and return plenty of assets in the process??? Talk about a dream world.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Isn't Luongo signed until he's 42?
No one(including himself) expects him to play out his contract until the end.

And even if he does, there's no reason why he wouldn't agree to be traded as a veteran backup to Florida to push them over the cap floor while making peanuts.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
I can make the obvious even more obvious if you need. Nucks fans are expecting a team to take on a goalie who has a very long contract, who is open to leaving Vancouver, aleiviate the cap issues Lou brings to Vancouver, the other team inheriting the risk and a long contract that could have a long term cap hit even if he doesnt play, and expect a return that would be similar to that of Lou in his mid twenties? No team is going to line up and help Vancouver with their potential cap issues, take on an older goalie who may only have a few good years left, take on this long term hit, and return plenty of assets in the process??? Talk about a dream world.
Suit yourself. Although Luongo in his mid-twenties would command a price of Kessel+. A King's Ransom.

Which no one expects. But if you think that a medley of so-so prospects and tweeners is overpayment then that's your prerogative.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:32 PM
mriswith

Quote:
The relevance is that the contract is the only thing people ever talk about. What % of these threads have been about his contract? Compare that to what % has been discussion about over a decade of elite play with no sign of decline (yet, of course).

Look at the Nash+Staal trades recently for how public knowledge of wanting out doesn't have to impact trade value.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:36 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Suit yourself. Although Luongo in his mid-twenties would command a price of Kessel+. A King's Ransom.

Which no one expects. But if you think that a medley of so-so prospects and tweeners is overpayment then that's your prerogative.
Why are you talking about Lou in his twenties? He is 33 years old, not in his twenties, I dont see the relevance and the need to disucss what could or might be. deal with the reality, he is in his 30's.No one said the Nucks will not get value, but to expect high value in exchange for Lou, and helping the Nucks with their cap situation is not realistic one bit. It is a risk for any team to take on that contract and factoring his age, combined with a cap that is going down. Good luck,

Old
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Why are you talking about Lou in his twenties? He is 33 years old, not in his twenties, I dont see the relevance and the need to disucss what could or might be. deal with the reality, he is in his 30's.No one said the Nucks will not get value, but to expect high value in exchange for Lou, and helping the Nucks with their cap situation is not realistic one bit. It is a risk for any team to take on that contract and factoring his age, combined with a cap that is going down. Good luck,
Maybe because you said we expected a return that Luongo would garner in his mid-twenties?

Old
11-25-2012, 10:44 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism View Post
The relevance is that the contract is the only thing people ever talk about. What % of these threads have been about his contract? Compare that to what % has been discussion about over a decade of elite play with no sign of decline (yet, of course).

Look at the Nash+Staal trades recently for how public knowledge of wanting out doesn't have to impact trade value.
So I guess contract consideration is not important? I guess its an easy sell to any owner suggesting that by aquiring Lou, the team may be forced to continue to pay this player even if he isnt playing. Not to mention the cap as a whole is going down, and it is unsure how many years of top goaltending Lou will provide? Oh and the Nucks will also want to shed some cap to address other needs as well, and of course expect a big return on a player that comes with lots of risk and financial commitment long term. Makes plenty of sense

Old
11-25-2012, 10:45 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Maybe because you said we expected a return that Luongo would garner in his mid-twenties?
Which he is clearly not. Why yourself and others expect him to have the same value as he would have at 20, when he is clearly not that age; makes no sense.

Closed Thread