Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 02:41 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I swear that's the most Vikings play possible.
I dunno about that...passing up Peterson to give the ball to Ponder to throw away twice in a row on 3rd/4th & 2 is a strong candidate.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Ponder should have hit Wright, though. That was an easy throw and he ****ed it up. He took too much time and then threw it way too softly. That was an easy touchdown.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

well, I think that showed that the playoffs just aren't going to happen this year....given that we still have to play the bears again, the packers twice, and the texans...

Old
11-25-2012, 03:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

"What would you say you do here?"

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

He is good at working with people.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

He has people skills...assuming wide receivers are not people.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
11-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I didn't think Ponder was quite as atrocious as normal. His receivers made him look a lot worse than he was. He was actually getting rid of the ball when necessary more often. Still nothing to write home about.

The defense though...yikes. There's really just not a defense there.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I really don't know what Simpson was doing today. He had some drops.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:34 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Simpson had to have 6 drops today. Wright dropped a couple, and each of Rudolph, Aromashodu, and Jenkins dropped at least one.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Simpson had three. Receivers had at least six. Diff between 50 and 60 pct passing, and maybe 1-2 touchdowns.

For once ponder actually was doing well but getting screwed.

I think for this team they need to draft 3+ wideouts next year. Go all in. Then if/when ponder fails, you have a good setup for the next guy.

If course you still need to address the guard and defensive line situation...and cornerback...

Old
11-25-2012, 11:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Simpson had three. Receivers had at least six. Diff between 50 and 60 pct passing, and maybe 1-2 touchdowns.

For once ponder actually was doing well but getting screwed.

I think for this team they need to draft 3+ wideouts next year. Go all in. Then if/when ponder fails, you have a good setup for the next guy.

If course you still need to address the guard and defensive line situation...and cornerback...
I assume those were the official figures? If so, they're extremely generous to the wideouts. At one point Simpson dropped 3 passes in a row (across multiple series of course).

Old
11-26-2012, 12:46 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

At least Simpson only has a 1 year contract, so we don't have to suffer through another Berrian.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:59 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

This team is a mess from top to bottom. We have ONE Starter on this team from 2011 draft. Ponder doesn't deserve to be a starter, he should have been benched.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:05 AM
OpRedDawn*

3rd and 2..... ponder scrambles left

4th and 2... ponder scrambles left.

Might as well trade AP if they aren't going to use him when it matters.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
This team is a mess from top to bottom. We have ONE Starter on this team from 2011 draft. Ponder doesn't deserve to be a starter, he should have been benched.
? Rudolph is our #1 TE... Usually a starter

Fusco is the starting RG (in a rotation with Schwartz)

Add Ponder and that makes 3.

It really wasn't a bad draft... not great, but not bad.

Ballard is a good depth defensive lineman. Mystral Raymond isn't an awful backup to have.

It really wasn't a deep draft in general if you take a closer look at it...

Old
11-26-2012, 01:35 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
? Rudolph is our #1 TE... Usually a starter
That's the starter. He's under utilized in the offense.

Quote:
Fusco is the starting RG (in a rotation with Schwartz)
Both guards need replacing. In rotation, he's constantly being replaced by Schwartz. He's a backup.

Quote:
Add Ponder and that makes 3.
Ponder is only a starter because Webb is worse at QB (though I don't know by how much)

Quote:
It really wasn't a bad draft... not great, but not bad.
It was.

Quote:
Ballard is a good depth defensive lineman. Mystral Raymond isn't an awful backup to have.
But he's a starter. Ballard is okay.

Quote:
It really wasn't a deep draft in general if you take a closer look at it...
Actually it was.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:29 AM
forthewild

yesterday was not ponders fault, our D couldn't stop a blind midget, and our receivers couldn't hold on to the ball, seriously Simposon couldn't catch a ball if it was glued to his hands beforehand.

also those plays, Ponder doesn't call the plays, that would be Musgrave you want to talk to.

Next draft we need to take a strong WR, we just need to, as to why we didn't trade two 4ths to get Vincent Jackson i don't know, or why we didn't give him a boatload of money i don't know but we need a big WR who can hold on to the ball.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't know that they could afford to pay Vincent Jackson AND Percy Harvin.

Look, there's one of two ways we can play this out:

1. Give up on Ponder this year, draft another QB in the middle of the first round that is scouted and developed by the same guys who scouted and developed Ponder, give him the same bunch of nobodies to throw to, and see what happens.

2. Give Ponder another year, draft the best WR available in the middle of the first round, get a new OC, and see what happens.

I'd have to think unless there's a stud QB that nobody wants until the middle of the first, you get some offensive talent on this team and shore up the defensive line. If Ponder sucks again next year, then draft another QB, but this time he'll at least have a few good targets to throw to (Harvin, Wright, and hopefully a big guy who can stretch the field) as well as a better OL than Ponder had and a better defense.

I guess I'm not convinced that if you take a team with a bunch of problems and add in a different rookie QB that things would be any better. Unless it's an ELITE QB that you usually only get at #1 or #2.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:13 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Ugh, drafting any WR in the first...

Anyone know what's happening with Childs? I know he was injured (don't know what the injury is) but it looks like he's still on the roster. Does he have any hope to help shore up our receiver corps next year? I think Wright has done a decent job for a rookie in that role with our situation as well.

First round wideouts are too much boom or bust for this team to go after one unless there's a "can't pass up" type guy available. This team has enough holes remaining that they should patch those up before selecting a high risk player in the first.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Ugh, drafting any WR in the first...
Harvin and Moss were drafted with the 22nd and 21st picks.

Quote:
Anyone know what's happening with Childs? I know he was injured (don't know what the injury is) but it looks like he's still on the roster. Does he have any hope to help shore up our receiver corps next year? I think Wright has done a decent job for a rookie in that role with our situation as well.
He tore patella tendons in BOTH knees at the SAME time in training camp. He's off crutches and rehabbing and hopeful to play next year but will he be the same and will he be one play away from early retirement?

IMO he's a long shot to be an impact player.

Quote:
First round wideouts are too much boom or bust for this team to go after one unless there's a "can't pass up" type guy available. This team has enough holes remaining that they should patch those up before selecting a high risk player in the first.
Disagree. They need to find a quality WR and the best shot is to draft one in the first. And probably more later on.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Jacksonville is going to pull a Miami Marlins soon enough, so mind as well wait and get Blackmon on wholesale.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
3rd and 2..... ponder scrambles left

4th and 2... ponder scrambles left.

Might as well trade AP if they aren't going to use him when it matters.
This right here.

You have the best RB in football who looks like he might be an all time great, in his prime, on the hottest streak of his career....and you dial up two passing plays with short yardage?

Musgrave can't be fired fast enough. In fact, if they can fire Childress mid-season, why not fire Musgrave right now?

Old
11-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Ponder had the touchdown on 3rd and 2. Had Wright in the corner of the endzone. He threw the ball so soft the defenders came from about 7 yards away to cover him. Wright was wiiiiiiiiide open. Should have been an easy touchdown, but Ponder said no to that.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:26 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Disagree. They need to find a quality WR and the best shot is to draft one in the first. And probably more later on.

Quote:
After examining all the wide receivers drafted from 2000-2010, our statistics tell us that selecting a wideout is little more than a roll of the dice. Whereas you might strike gold with the Johnsons in the first round (Andre or Calvin), there's a better chance you'll get the other Johnson (Bryant) or a shiny new Reggie Williams or Matt Jones. We've found that only 40 percent (18 of 45) of wide receivers selected in the first round have worked out.
Source

Whether any individual in this thread wants to admit it or not, drafting wide receivers in the first round is a crap shoot. With a team with as many holes as the Vikings still have, they need to pick up a quality player in the first round of the 2013 draft. Yeah, Harvin and Moss were picked at 22 and 21, but so were Matt Jones and Mark Clayton.

The Vikings need to fill out some of their other needs, and make later picks to fill out the "role player" type receiver spots as well before they start making high risk picks. They might need to pick a wideout in the first round to get the type of guy they need, but 2013 isn't the year they should be making that move.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just a random sports question...

Are "players" coaches really all that successful? I mean looking here recently, it doesn't seem that way.

Vikings go 0.527 under Childress and 0.375 under Frazier. Granted there are talent discrepancies, but how often does the team come out just lazy and unprepared now?

Wolves were 0.195 (incredible) under Rambis and climbing into respectability with 0.394 under Adelman, who looks like he wants to punch everyone in the mouth at all times. They actually look somewhat organized.

Twins are 0.523 under Gardenhire with zero post-season success. I don't know if he's a players guy or a hardass because it doesn't appear that he does much of anything.

Wild were flat and inconsistent with Richards and although performed worse points-wise with Yeo, at least won games and were competitive when healthy.

Closed Thread