HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Panthers Prospect Thread 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 01:13 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
ghoste...or anyone else...what is going on with Bjugstad? I was expecting him to dominate college this year but he has 5 goals, 2 assists in 10 games...has he been playing injured, different linemates...can anyone say how he has looked? I thought he was excellent during the prospect camp and also thought he was one of the better forwards for the U.S. junior team last year...I hope he turns out to be a good one.
6 goals, 3 assists in 11 games now. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Will Hubs be traded to a better team?

Old
11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
1. Good to hear Grimaldi is doing well. He is a guy I wanted the Preds to target on draft day. Think he has the skill to do awesome things.

2. What's your assessment of Gudbranson? Would you feel comfortable with him in a top 4 role THIS season? For the future, where is his ceiling?

Thanks, and long live southern hockey

Old
11-19-2012, 11:32 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
1. Good to hear Grimaldi is doing well. He is a guy I wanted the Preds to target on draft day. Think he has the skill to do awesome things.

2. What's your assessment of Gudbranson? Would you feel comfortable with him in a top 4 role THIS season? For the future, where is his ceiling?

Thanks, and long live southern hockey
Greetings, friend.

1. I've watched all the UND games that were available to me thus far this season, and Rocco is a pleasure to watch. He tries to make an impact every shift; constantly driving to the net, finding his teammates or winning a puck battle. I hope his size does not hinder his game in the pros. It's certainly not a problem in the college game to this point.

2. I wouldn't mind Guds playing a top 4 role. He stepped his game to a higher level in that playoff series against the Devils. If he can develop some consistency and play at that level every game I would be happy to see him play a top-4 role. Not sure what his ceiling is, but I just hope doesn't turn out like a Bogosian. Hopefully, maybe he can become a Doughty with more of a mean streak in his game. Last year, Guds really matured in a solid pro. Personally, I'm not too concerned with his statistics at the moment. The offense will come when he gets into a groove.

“Statistics are like bikinis. They show a little bit, but they don’t show everything.”

-Craig Anderson

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 11-19-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 05:15 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

UND is playing ND this weekend and there is a free stream online. Battle of two really good NCAA teams with a chance to see Grimaldi and Knight. Friday night is 7:35et and 5:05et on Saturday.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/s...key-sched.html

Old
11-24-2012, 03:43 PM
CouchScout

Bjugstad with a couple of 2-point games in row, why isn't he playing in the AHL this season?

Old
11-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchScout View Post
Bjugstad with a couple of 2-point games in row, why isn't he playing in the AHL this season?
He wanted his last chance to win a national championship.

-ghoste

Old
11-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
He wanted his last chance to win a national championship.

-ghoste
I didnt know much about him, but I knew he was good.

I was at the UMV vs Minnesota game yesterday and man does he have EVERYTHING. I was trying to find a flaw in his game and it was impossible.

He has IQ, he is physical, has speed and has great hands. He was in his own league out there yesterday. I still could not believe how good he was, you guy have a great prospect I wish the Habs could of picked him.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post

I was at the UMV vs Minnesota game yesterday and man does he have EVERYTHING. I was trying to find a flaw in his game and it was impossible.

He has IQ, he is physical, has speed and has great hands. He was in his own league out there yesterday. I still could not believe how good he was, you guy have a great prospect I wish the Habs could of picked him.
Nice. I'm curious to see what his next step is (barring the lockout going into next season). I'd kinda like to see him in the AHL and be brought up that route but we'll see.

-ghoste

Old
11-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

CHL update (thru 11/24):

Trocheck - 27 games, 17 goals, 22 assists, 39 points
Huberdeau - 25 games, 13 goals, 20 assists, 33 points
Shaw - 23 games, 9 goals, 20 assists, 29 points
Delnov - 22 games, 9 goals, 13 assists, 22 points
Beauvillier - 27 games, 11 goals, 11 assists, 22 points
Hodges - 15 games, 6 goals, 6 assists, 12 points
Racine - 25 games, 4 goals, 6 assists, 10 points

-ghoste

Old
11-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Acadmus

Quote:

UVM, maybe?

Anyway...at this point in the season, I'm going to have to say Connor Brickley's ready to be moved into the 'bust' column, sadly. He just doesn't look like he's going to recover his form after that injury last year.

11-26-2012, 04:55 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
UVM, maybe?

Anyway...at this point in the season, I'm going to have to say Connor Brickley's ready to be moved into the 'bust' column, sadly. He just doesn't look like he's going to recover his form after that injury last year.
Hindsight is generally a useless thing, but not taking Janrkrok there still blows my mind. One can assume it is a style and preference thing, because Jarnkrok was then, and is now, a significantly more talented player.

We can undertake a little more assessment on some recent drafts now.

I think we can now thoroughly examine the 2007 draft.

The only NHL player acquired from the draft was Ellerby. Not a great 1st round in terms of talent. Ellerby projects to be a solid defenseman with a relatively long career. You wouldn't say he has ever exceeded expectations however.

Repik and Dadonov have played in the NHL, but do not project to be long-term NHL players. Repik had chance after chance. He's statistically struggling in the KHL right now. He's done as an NHL prospect. Dadonov will be a successful KHL player (Having a good year now). He's a very good player, but simply a classic example of someone who is much more suited to the European style of hockey. A very good player who simply isn't suited to NA style.

Everybody else has no shot at the NHL from this draft. So we stand at a fringe NHL'er currently in Ellerby. Pretty poor.

2008 can begin to be assessed.

Jenks and Comrie are done. Bartowski is in the Bruins system and may be a fringe NHL one day. Leaves us with Robak/Markstrom.

Both have obvious NHL upside, but i think at this point, both have serious question marks. Markstrom hasn't had a large sample size of domination since coming to NA. Goalies take longer, so we shouldn't be worried just yet, but the shiny hype is wearing off and we need to see results. Robak i haven't seen all that much.

No 1st round pick in this draft, so we can never be upset if it doesn't work out. Can go both ways depending on Markstrom/Robak.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:29 AM
CapeShamrock

Quote:
UVM, maybe?

HMMM, I would say we may be a bit hasty on labeling Bricks a "bust". As an update from the UVM followers, he was diving to block a shot against BU and suffered a skate gash across the forearm. They operated on him the next day to repair. He is expected to return in January-February. As a 2-time world gold medalist and U-20 WJC team along with a high draft pick, I'll reserve judgement until he plays at the next level. He is expected to being speed, & tenacity with "1st line skill with
3rd line mentality". Duirng the past 10 months he has had the injury bug with a severed leg tendon from U-20 WJC, ruptured pect muscle and the forearm injury. Each injury is very rare and he is expected full recovery.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:33 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Hindsight is generally a useless thing, but not taking Janrkrok there still blows my mind. One can assume it is a style and preference thing, because Jarnkrok was then, and is now, a significantly more talented player.

We can undertake a little more assessment on some recent drafts now.

I think we can now thoroughly examine the 2007 draft.

The only NHL player acquired from the draft was Ellerby. Not a great 1st round in terms of talent. Ellerby projects to be a solid defenseman with a relatively long career. You wouldn't say he has ever exceeded expectations however.

Repik and Dadonov have played in the NHL, but do not project to be long-term NHL players. Repik had chance after chance. He's statistically struggling in the KHL right now. He's done as an NHL prospect. Dadonov will be a successful KHL player (Having a good year now). He's a very good player, but simply a classic example of someone who is much more suited to the European style of hockey. A very good player who simply isn't suited to NA style.

Everybody else has no shot at the NHL from this draft. So we stand at a fringe NHL'er currently in Ellerby. Pretty poor.

2008 can begin to be assessed.

Jenks and Comrie are done. Bartowski is in the Bruins system and may be a fringe NHL one day. Leaves us with Robak/Markstrom.

Both have obvious NHL upside, but i think at this point, both have serious question marks. Markstrom hasn't had a large sample size of domination since coming to NA. Goalies take longer, so we shouldn't be worried just yet, but the shiny hype is wearing off and we need to see results. Robak i haven't seen all that much.

No 1st round pick in this draft, so we can never be upset if it doesn't work out. Can go both ways depending on Markstrom/Robak.
Pretty fair assessment I would say. Shame about Dadanov though, really thought he could be a good player for the Panthers.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Updated thru 11/25/2012:
NCAA
Skaters:
College Yr Player Pos. Line/Pairing GP G A P +/- PIM GWG PPG SHG PT/G
Minnesota JR Nick Bjugstad C 1st 13 7 4 11 +6 10 2 2 0 0.85
Minnesota SO Kyle Rau LW 1st 13 6 7 13 +6 4 3 2 0 1.00
North Dakota SR Corbin Knight C 1st 11 2 9 11 +4 12 0 0 0 1.00
North Dakota SO Rocco Grimaldi C 3rd 12 5 3 8 +3 6 0 0 0 0.67
Michigan SO Zach Hyman RW 4th 11 1 2 3 +2 0 0 0 0 0.27
Vermont JR Connor Brickley LW DNP 7 1 1 2 -4 8 0 1 0 0.29
Minn-Duluth JR Joe Basaraba RW 3rd 12 3 1 4 -5 12 0 1 0 0.33
Boston Univ SR Wade Megan LW 1st 11 7 4 11 +8 8 3 0 0 1.00
Boston College FR Michael Matheson D 1st 11 1 5 6 +10 12 0 0 0 0.55

Goalies:
College Yr Player Line/Pairing GP W L T GA MIN GAA SH SV SV%
Denver JR Sam Brittain Starter 6 4 2 0 15 357 2.52 0 169 0.918

Sorry for not posting this last week but was busy obviously with the holiday and moving into my new home. As such, didnt get a chance to catch anything so this is just a stats update.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeShamrock View Post
HMMM, I would say we may be a bit hasty on labeling Bricks a "bust". As an update from the UVM followers, he was diving to block a shot against BU and suffered a skate gash across the forearm. They operated on him the next day to repair. He is expected to return in January-February. As a 2-time world gold medalist and U-20 WJC team along with a high draft pick, I'll reserve judgement until he plays at the next level. He is expected to being speed, & tenacity with "1st line skill with
3rd line mentality". Duirng the past 10 months he has had the injury bug with a severed leg tendon from U-20 WJC, ruptured pect muscle and the forearm injury. Each injury is very rare and he is expected full recovery.
But the time he's missed is significant in the development of a player who is a project, as he is. And the fact is that since returning from the severed leg tendon he suffered in the WJCs last year he has not come close to returning to form. And the BC game was just a little over a week ago - he hasn't missed much time from it. He simply has not shown a progression toward returning to form through this season, and meanwhile the number of serious injuries he's sustaining is setting his development back big time. If he doesn't take some steps forward, he's unlikely to get to the next level. And that's aside from the unfortunate situation of playing for a UVM team that has lost its top scorers for 4 years either to free agency or to dismissal from school after failing to live up to academic standards. They've lost I believe 6 or 7 top scoring forwards in that span, not to mention the incoming freshman who was drafted in the first round and signed by Buffalo who was expected to make an impact. The miserable situation the team is in can rub off on a player unless he's standing out as a lone bright spot, showing he can rise above the poor play of teammates. Bricks hasn't done that since getting injured, and another injury will simply push him further from the Panthers' radar, as well as that of minor league teams looking for bodies. These injuries aren't something where you just let it heal and are ready to go - you also lose muscle mass, and that's a lot harder to get back, particularly for athletes.

Last edited by Acadmus: 11-26-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
UVM, maybe?

Ahahah yes UVM my bad. Does Brickley play for UVM ? If he does he seems invisible to me.. then again all the other UVM players did.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Nice. I'm curious to see what his next step is (barring the lockout going into next season). I'd kinda like to see him in the AHL and be brought up that route but we'll see.

-ghoste
To be honest, I don't think the Panthers will send him to the AHL if/when he goes pro next season. I think that usually you see non blue-chip prospects get sent to the AHL when they turn pro. Or they have question marks about their game for some reason and the NHL club wants to the develop them a little bit more. For example maybe they are on the smallish side, just to pick a reason there may be questions about them as prospects, obviously that won't be a question about Bjugstad. If there is a question I don't think it would be enough for the Panthers not to at least give him a shot next season. And besides, he would have played three years of college hockey at that point and would be 21 years old at that point, so I think that he will be with the Panthers next season if/when he turns pro.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
To be honest, I don't think the Panthers will send him to the AHL if/when he goes pro next season. I think that usually you see non blue-chip prospects get sent to the AHL when they turn pro. Or they have question marks about their game for some reason and the NHL club wants to the develop them a little bit more. For example maybe they are on the smallish side, just to pick a reason there may be questions about them as prospects, obviously that won't be a question about Bjugstad. If there is a question I don't think it would be enough for the Panthers not to at least give him a shot next season. And besides, he would have played three years of college hockey at that point and would be 21 years old at that point, so I think that he will be with the Panthers next season if/when he turns pro.
There's still an adjustment to the pro game. Bjugstad wouldnt be used to the grind of playing 80 games/season compared to what he plays in college (~40 games). And even with his solid play in college, I think there are still questions in regard to how good he will be as a pro in terms of offense. It would benefit Bjugstad more IMO that he takes at least half a yr in the AHL but more like 1 full season down there would be best. I think both Tallon & Santos feel that is best for most of our prospects not named Huberdeau.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Jopsey

I watch every Gopher game and I got to say Bjugstad is a beast. You guys are lucky to have him

Old
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
There's still an adjustment to the pro game. Bjugstad wouldnt be used to the grind of playing 80 games/season compared to what he plays in college (~40 games). And even with his solid play in college, I think there are still questions in regard to how good he will be as a pro in terms of offense. It would benefit Bjugstad more IMO that he takes at least half a yr in the AHL but more like 1 full season down there would be best. I think both Tallon & Santos feel that is best for most of our prospects not named Huberdeau.
Yes, this is true. But I think he can make that adjustment with the Panthers. And also, Dale Tallen did say that there would be like 2 rookies coming in this season (2012/2013) and like 2 or 3 more next season and so forth. If in his mind those rookies didn't include Bjugstad I wonder who could it be . I guess he was thinking Bjugstad would be in Vancouver .

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 11-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Ahahah yes UVM my bad. Does Brickley play for UVM ? If he does he seems invisible to me.. then again all the other UVM players did.
I'm sure their new rookie goalie didn't. Mainly because he's the one that you'll look at the most often when looking for the puck

But anyway apparently he was injured and out of the lineup when you watched that game. So that's why he was invisible

Old
11-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Yes, this is true. But I think he can make that adjustment with the Panthers. And also, Dale Tallen did say that there would be like 2 rookies coming in this season (2012/2013) and like 2 or 3 more next season and so forth. If in his mind those rookies didn't include Bjugstad I wonder who could it be . I guess he was thinking Bjugstad would be in Vancouver .
I'm not saying he cant make the adjustment though. Im just saying it would be better for us and him to make the pro adjustment in the minors. Its rare that a prospect goes straight to the NHL from NCAA minus a few exceptions (Toews, Statsny, Oshie). I'm thinking that Bjugstad will follow a similar path as David Backes (with a similar career upside) and he spent like half a yr in the AHL after leaving college after 3 yrs. I just dont know how that works with our current lineup if we had a season this yr.

As far as Tallon saying there would be 2 rookies, I dont believe that is true. I think he said rookies would be given a chance to compete in camp. But outside of Huberdeau, I dont think anyone was expected to make the club this yr (and only because Hubs couldnt play in the AHL and had nothing left to prove in juniors). Also, its entirely possible that one of the rookies he was thinking of was Howden and not necessarily Bjugstad. Howden was expected to compete for a bottom 6 role from what I remember during the offseason so I think that would be the other guy in the 1-2 Tallon was mentioning as having a chance at a roster spot. And remember that he traded for Wellman in the offseason so he wouldve been a rookie included to be given a chance at a roster spot.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:14 AM
ElementZ

Huberdeau ties the Sea Dogs all time points record last night. Now has 24gp 14g 25a 39pts.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
Huberdeau ties the Sea Dogs all time points record last night. Now has 24gp 14g 25a 39pts.
Huberdeau has been tearing it up lately. He is so ready to enter the NHL.

Closed Thread