HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Are they crazy in Petersburg?

Old
11-26-2012, 02:55 AM
alko

vCash: 500

Best team so far and the only team that scored more than 100 goals released they head coach Milos Riha.
Reason? From SKA website:

“Considering the team’s goals, the board of directors decided to release Milos Riha from the post of head coach,” the statement said.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Can't say I'm not surprised.

I can somewhat justify the move. SKA under Riha was swept last year in the semis, and clumsy defense played a big role in that humiliating defeat. Guess what, nothing changed this year. Offense is very potent, but lack of discipline and not the best D will probably kill this team in the post-season.

Their management was trying to solve the problem without changing Riha for someone else: they brought in Bob to replace Stepanek, got rid of Grebeshkov.

I'd love to see Bykov & Zakharkin coaching a KHL club again, but that won't happen.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:16 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Can't say I'm not surprised.

I can somewhat justify the move. SKA under Riha was swept last year in the semis, and clumsy defense played a big role in that humiliating defeat. Guess what, nothing changed this year. Offense is very potent, but lack of discipline and not the best D will probably kill this team in the post-season.

Their management was trying to solve the problem without changing Riha for someone else: they brought in Bob to replace Stepanek, got rid of Grebeshkov.

I'd love to see Bykov & Zakharkin coaching a KHL club again, but that won't happen.
Joke?
Their teams always played "brazilian" hockey. Had they coached SKA instead of Rziha the problem would have been even bigger.
Bykov used to explain: "we play for fans".

od71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Zine

Not entirely unheard of.

A few years ago New Jersey finished in 1st place but sacked Claude Julien right before playoffs.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 05:24 AM
Faterson

... then they lost in the 2nd play-offs round, while Julien got hired by the Bruins and won the Stanley Cup there.

Yup, that worked.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:56 AM
russianhockey

My opinion: "they are totally crazy in petersburg"

russianhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Joke?
Their teams always played "brazilian" hockey. Had they coached SKA instead of Rziha the problem would have been even bigger.
Bykov used to explain: "we play for fans".
Heh, true. As I said, I was logically thinking when I wrote the first three paragraphs, but the last sentence was just pure emotion

Though BiZ outplayed Bilyaletdinov in 5 games a while ago, and had tight defense when needed. Just as in Bern in '09. Too bad that Riha wasn't given a chance to prove that he can accomplish the same feat.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockeyDOTde View Post
Maybe not the wisest decision time-wise, but a logical one. They look good against weaker teams. In the playoffs they'd have to face the likes of Dynamo Moscow. I don't see how SKA under Riha would have won a series against Dynamo Moscow.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:20 AM
od71

Quote:
Heh, true. As I said, I was logically thinking when I wrote the first three paragraphs, but the last sentence was just pure emotion

Though BiZ outplayed Bilyaletdinov in 5 games a while ago, and had tight defense when needed. Just as in Bern in '09. Too bad that Riha wasn't given a chance to prove that he can accomplish the same feat.
It was not BiZ's merit. A lot of star players, champions were in those team. Players gathered in a locker room and they had a talk how to play, how to organize the game, no matter what new "fashionable directions in modern hockey" Zaharkin talked about.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:34 AM
kiluj

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockeyDOTde View Post
Especially female fans of Zenit.

kiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Maybe not the wisest decision time-wise, but a logical one. They look good against weaker teams. In the playoffs they'd have to face the likes of Dynamo Moscow. I don't see how SKA under Riha would have won a series against Dynamo Moscow.

Quote:
Though BiZ outplayed Bilyaletdinov in 5 games a while ago, and had tight defense when needed.
SYu outplayed Ak Bars, but hard to say that Zina was outcoached.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Vicente

SKA wasn't really convincing in recent weeks but they still won their games and showed great moral. If they wanted him out for the way his team plays why haven't they done that after last season?! Just stupid... wonder what happens if the team goes out in the first round again.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Fulcrum

No, they are Russian

"Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. "
Winston Churchill

- That is the most accurate way to begin to explain what goes on over there.

Having said that, SKA was on it's path to a great dissapointment in the playoffs. The team was not stable, at all. They were playing Bykov hockey, heavily relying on superstars to bail them out almost every game.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
It was not BiZ's merit. A lot of star players, champions were in those team. Players gathered in a locker room and they had a talk how to play, how to organize the game, no matter what new "fashionable directions in modern hockey" Zaharkin talked about.
Yeah, for example a star goaltender - Ersberg.

Nah, of course I simplified the situation a lot by saying that BiZ were the only factor in that win, but there is no way you can do the contrary: claim that players won it and coaches didn't matter. That golden team had a ton of offensive talent, but was widely considered helpless defensively, just go back look at their C, D & G. Yet they won close one goal games vs Ak Bars, just can't be done without appropriate coaching.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Finnish media was rumoring yesterday that Raimo Summanen could take over SKA but today they're talking that national team headcoach Jukka Jalonen would take over. He'd be able to finish out his contract with the national team (ends after this season) during this.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
od71

This thread is becoming too lopsided. Riha doesn't deserve such an attitude. After all, I have to admit, that he is a best coach in a modern history of SKA, he led SKA to the conference final last season for the first time. And I really enjoyed Spartak and Atlant led by Riha.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Yeah, for example a star goaltender - Ersberg.

Nah, of course I simplified the situation a lot by saying that BiZ were the only factor in that win, but there is no way you can do the contrary: claim that players won it and coaches didn't matter. That golden team had a ton of offensive talent, but was widely considered helpless defensively, just go back look at their C, D & G. Yet they won close one goal games vs Ak Bars, just can't be done without appropriate coaching.
I was at most of thoise games in person. BiZ did nothing to win those games. It was a good year for SYu and an extremely bad year for AkBars. Not even Bill could save it. The whole lois is flawed. What about 2009-2010? BiZ lost to Bill and AkBars. Does that mean anything?

Old
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Atas2000

Anyway. Jalonen is probably the next coach to try and win a cup sitting on a sack of money...

Old
11-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Would be interesting if Jukka Jalonen rumors turn out to be true. I'm surprised that SKA themselves haven't announced anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
I was at most of thoise games in person. BiZ did nothing to win those games. It was a good year for SYu and an extremely bad year for AkBars. Not even Bill could save it. The whole lois is flawed. What about 2009-2010? BiZ lost to Bill and AkBars. Does that mean anything?
Yeah, it means that after a past loss SYu coaches thought it other and were prepared the next year. Too bad that you didn't manage to see anything, better ask Khavanov.

I understand that a lot of people are upset after the OG '10 at BiZ and that Ak Bars fans are simply biased. But one has to think more in a perspective in order for others to take him seriously.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Hemsky001

Oh man this is Russia. Expect the unexpected.

Hemsky001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:02 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Czech article about Riha getting fired and about recent 2 matches of SKA

I love this quote (translation bellow) in particular:

Quote:
Po porážce s nováčkem soutěže Doněckem utrpěl dnes SKA debakl 1:6 na ledě Spartaku Moskva, podle šéfa klubu Alexandra Medveděva je to však vizitka bývalého trenérského štábu. "Ničeho nelituju. Zápasy s Doněckem a Spartakem ukázaly, proč jsme odvolali Říhu.
Quote:
After being beaten by the rookie team of KHL, Donetsk, SKA suffered a debacle tonight when losing 1:6 on Spartak Moskva's ice. According to the boss of SKA, Alexander Medvedev, those games account to the work of Milos Riha and his colleagues. "I don't regret any decision. Games with Donetsk and Spartak have shown why we've fired Riha."
I sure hope Riha won't lose the next match for them

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:22 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Games with Donetsk and Spartak have shown why we've fired Riha."
yeah, sure..

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Faterson

Ah well... now it's obvious if SKA get trounced in the 1st round of play-offs, it's Říha's fault for setting them off in the wrong direction in the season's 1st half (never mind the top spot in the KHL). Guess what, any failures by SKA within the next 5 years could probably be traced back to the Říha years... Yeah!

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Mirinho

hahaha

this is crazy ... SKA is now cursed by Riha

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote