HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

CFL thread - Toronto v. Hamilton, East Final.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Brody

vCash: 560
Rock are always good.
Argos just won the championship.
Jays got stacked, and could win their division.
Marlies are pretty good, finals last season.

Leafs are still pretty decent, the same though.

Raptors are a complete joke, not based off their play, just the refs. There has only been one game in which the refs haven't screwed the Raps and it was against the Thunder. Meaning this team could have had a 13-1 record, pretty ****ing crazy

TFC never win, because Rogers is not willing to spend a lot of money on them.

Toronto teams are slowly improving

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:42 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Well that's just an inane remark. Toronto has a very diverse population and has multiple sports teams for every sport. It may just be that Torontonians aren't as fond of football but that doesn't imply that we think we're 'better' than anyone else. I'm still confused why SOME people across Canada have inferiority complexes about Toronto. We're a relatively humble city who have had economic success but I don't think we're worse or better than anyone else.
Sorry, but there's nothing in the water in Toronto that makes people like football less. The only sport that Toronto has that other cities don't is MLB, but you also have a much higher population that counteracts that.

Everyone knows that Toronto loves football just as much as the rest of Canada. NFL football. And I said it makes you look like your city thinks it's too good for Canada, because that's just what it looks like. No inferiority complex here, just an observation. There are far more Bills fans in Toronto than Argos fans, which is disappointing considering the rest of Canada, for the most part, really embraces and is proud of Canadian football.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:45 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Really? Well Sask was having telethons to save the riders. And the CFL was going down hard in the late 1990's. Ottawa lost two teams. Montreal struggles to sell out home games and has lost teams. But toronto sucks

Regardless, Demographics change, and there is no reason why someone has to watch the CFL just because they're canadian, seems to be what many CFL fans imply and its annoying. Besides you watch hockey, a league based in NYC so whats the difference?
Yes, things change and I said I hope the do change for the Argos because the CFL is thriving everywhere right now except for southern Ontario.

As for me watching the NHL, I won't even comment on that because it makes absolutely no sense to be perfectly honest.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsTFC View Post
It's a little less that, and a little more that the Argos have to compete all season long with the Blue Jays and Toronto FC. They also compete with the Leafs and Raptors at some points as well. I'm sure the fact that other cities have less sporting options leads the CFL to be a more popular thing to go see. And although the Argos don't sell out the Rogers Centre, it's a big stadium. They still get a decent crowd. People also only have limited money for sporting options and they'll prioritize it based on what sport they want to see.

Having said that, I'd love to see the CFL more popular in Toronto. I was downtown tonight and it was a blast.
Quote:
Well that's just an inane remark. Toronto has a very diverse population and has multiple sports teams for every sport. It may just be that Torontonians aren't as fond of football but that doesn't imply that we think we're 'better' than anyone else. I'm still confused why SOME people across Canada have inferiority complexes about Toronto. We're a relatively humble city who have had economic success but I don't think we're worse or better than anyone else.
Yup. The Argo's just have more competition to draw fans, it's not like the city hates football, but it's not in love with it either. The Jays, Argos and TFC all need to draw fans to survive. The Argos and Jays have been struggling to mediocre the past few years, and TFC's sucked, but they've been riding the coattails of their expansion honeymoon (which is starting to slow down after many horrible seasons, and most recently a dead last finish). I expect the Argo's attendance and Jays attendances to go up next year, with the Argo's being recent champs, and the Jays making all these big moves. I also expect TFC' attendance numbers will continue to drop with waning fan interest and numerous bad seasons.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Raptors are a complete joke, not based off their play, just the refs. There has only been one game in which the refs haven't screwed the Raps and it was against the Thunder. Meaning this team could have had a 13-1 record, pretty ****ing crazy
Ugh, it's so depressing looking at the Raptors scores and seeing they lost by 1 point or lost in overtime. So close, yet so far.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Sorry, but there's nothing in the water in Toronto that makes people like football less. The only sport that Toronto has that other cities don't is MLB, but you also have a much higher population that counteracts that.

Everyone knows that Toronto loves football just as much as the rest of Canada. NFL football. And I said it makes you look like your city thinks it's too good for Canada, because that's just what it looks like. No inferiority complex here, just an observation. There are far more Bills fans in Toronto than Argos fans, which is disappointing considering the rest of Canada, for the most part, really embraces and is proud of Canadian football.
I'm sorry but how exactly do you know this? Your cities have only one or two meaningful pro sports team, thats why you guys draw big crowds.

Lets see how you guys do supporting your teams when we stick 4 more pro teams in there.

Toronto is not only one of the most expensive places to live in Canada, it also provides a crap load of options for people to spend their money. Unless you are providing a good product, people have no reason to give you their money. The Argos need to go on a good run for a couple years to regenerate public interest. Just look at blue jays to see what happens in Toronto when you are not producing top quality product.

The only exception to that rule is the Leafs.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:09 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Sorry guys, my word choice was poor. This is a night of celebration for the Argos and the city of Toronto, I didn't mean to cause any squabbles. It's just that a strong Argonauts makes for a strong CFL. Toronto is the #1 city in Canada and as such, CFL fans in the rest of Canada would like to see Toronto leading the way in Canadian football to make our league strong.

New stadiums in Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton; refurbs in BC, Montreal, Edmonton; Ottawa getting it's team back with strong leadership, talk of expansion - the CFL is thriving right now and is finally becoming a league that walks and talks like a true pro sports league. The time is now for Toronto to get on board, make football relevant again and lead the way into a new century of professional football in Canada.

edit: I just noticed that the last three posts in this exchange started with "sorry". How Canadian.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Yes, things change and I said I hope the do change for the Argos because the CFL is thriving everywhere right now except for southern Ontario.

As for me watching the NHL, I won't even comment on that because it makes absolutely no sense to be perfectly honest.
Gee could that be because there's more sports teams here? Glad you said SO. Let's talk about Hamilton's attendance too. Maybe some people like NFL, maybe some like CFL. It happens. As for the NHL, it's this. I find it interesting the people are on a board for a league that's based in NYC banging on about how Canadian they are but watching the CFL. It's ridiculous. I don't think there are more bills fans here, if the NFL had done a London type series instead of a Bills cash grab everyone would see that.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:

Just not true. Even if there isn't as much support for the CFL, it still doesn't MAKE us look like we're better. We cheer just as loud for Team Canada in hockey. Sure sounds like you're trying to preach about the CFL and if people don't like it, that's not going to change their mind.

11-26-2012, 12:29 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I'm sorry but how exactly do you know this? Your cities have only one or two meaningful pro sports team, thats why you guys draw big crowds.

Lets see how you guys do supporting your teams when we stick 4 more pro teams in there.

Toronto is not only one of the most expensive places to live in Canada, it also provides a crap load of options for people to spend their money. Unless you are providing a good product, people have no reason to give you their money. The Argos need to go on a good run for a couple years to regenerate public interest. Just look at blue jays to see what happens in Toronto when you are not producing top quality product.

The only exception to that rule is the Leafs.
As I look at a "Wregget for God" sign tacked up in the Maple Leaf Gardens I have to agree.

The Leafs get a pass, but everyone else is on a "what have you done for me lately" basis.

Just look at us on here. We needed a Canucks fan to come in here and start a CFL thread.

Now it has like 400 posts and wee kept it at the top of the board all night.

The CFL put on a great show this week, and hopefully the Argos benifit from it next year.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:00 AM
NastyNinoSays

CONGRATS ARGOS on your 16th Grey Cup/ Awesome weekend, iv'e never heard AAAARRRGGGOOOOOOOSSSSSS so much in my life. have fun picking up my empties.

NastyNinoSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:15 AM
Darcy Tucker

Mehh

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Congratulations to Argos fans. The Boatmen put on a great game. I do love the CFL.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 05:50 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
It sucks that people feel the need to bash the CFL. Be glad Toronto won a championship, for once.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Lilou
t-.-t

I never been in a packed dome so it was pretty amazing. And my life is now complete since I saw BEEEIBER

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:00 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Way to go Argos!!! Team was dominant when it counted! Hopefully we can carry this into next season.

Beiber was good. People are allowed to hate, but you cant deny hes one talented kid. Glad one of the worlds largest pop sensations is a Canadian #doingUsProud

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Way to go Argos!!! Team was dominant when it counted! Hopefully we can carry this into next season.

Beiber was good. People are allowed to hate, but you cant deny hes one talented kid. Glad one of the worlds largest pop sensations is a Canadian #doingUsProud

Ya doing us proud dressed as a bum while meeting the PM. But alas, that's not what this topic is about.

Congratulations to the Argos fans again. Hope one of the other teams can follow in their footsteps soon .

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Sorry guys, my word choice was poor. This is a night of celebration for the Argos and the city of Toronto, I didn't mean to cause any squabbles. It's just that a strong Argonauts makes for a strong CFL. Toronto is the #1 city in Canada and as such, CFL fans in the rest of Canada would like to see Toronto leading the way in Canadian football to make our league strong.

New stadiums in Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton; refurbs in BC, Montreal, Edmonton; Ottawa getting it's team back with strong leadership, talk of expansion - the CFL is thriving right now and is finally becoming a league that walks and talks like a true pro sports league. The time is now for Toronto to get on board, make football relevant again and lead the way into a new century of professional football in Canada.

edit: I just noticed that the last three posts in this exchange started with "sorry". How Canadian.
Fixing the CFL in Toronto is as simple as moving the Argos into a properly sized, outdoor, football specific stadium.

The same reason nobody cares about the Argos is the same reason nobody cares about 'Bills in Toronto' games, yet will happily drive to Buffalo, Cleveland or Detroit for a true football experience.

The Skydome is the worst thing to ever happen to the CFL.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:24 AM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Fixing the CFL in Toronto is as simple as moving the Argos into a properly sized, outdoor, football specific stadium.

The same reason nobody cares about the Argos is the same reason nobody cares about 'Bills in Toronto' games, yet will happily drive to Buffalo, Cleveland or Detroit for a true football experience.

The Skydome is the worst thing to ever happen to the CFL.
Tailgating being prohibited at the Rogers Center also dampens the experience of going to an NFL game.

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Nick0930

Quote:

Ya doing us proud dressed as a bum while meeting the PM. But alas, that's not what this topic is about.

Congratulations to the Argos fans again. Hope one of the other teams can follow in their footsteps soon .
What the ****? Bad enough he's wearing a hat, why the hell is he dressed as Hillbilly Jim Bob McGee?

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePuck View Post
Tailgating being prohibited at the Rogers Center also dampens the experience of going to an NFL game.
There are a million things wrong with the Skydome and that is absolutely one of them.

The first time I drove past the tailgate in Cleveland I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked like such a good time and such a terrible shame we couldn't have that at home.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:18 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

It was great to see the Argos win. It won't rank as one of the better Grey Cups but it was a decent enough game.

I appreciate what they tried to do with the half time show but it missed the mark.
If they really wanted to include Bieber he should have sang the Anthem and Cummings with Bachman the half time show(or Rush, Neil Young, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
In terms of the level of competition, how does the CFL stack against the NFL? For example, would the CFL be like the AHL compared to NHL. Better? Worse?

What about CFL vs NCAA?
It's sort of like this,

NFL = NHL
NCAA = AHL
CFL = ECHL

There is a thread on the Football board discussing this.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:22 AM
MarcWagz

argos with the cup!
woooohoo
victory
A ship for toronto, see Toronto isn't cursed after all.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:23 AM
MarcWagz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
NFL = NHL
NCAA = AHL
CFL = ECHL

There is a thread on the Football board discussing this.
i would not agree with this, 75% of NCAA players could not make the CFL so how is the NCAA rated higher? not to mention the CFL is grown men playing while the NCAA is kids.

its more like

NFL = NHL
CFL = AHL
NCAA = CHL

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Is it to hard to put on a suit when you go meet the friggin PM?

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote