HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post

They might have both played wing on Huberdeau's line. Either way, all 3 were amazing last night, I can see the Mackinnon/Crosby comparisons, Mackinnon is freakishly strong for his size, has great speed and great hands, and a desire to be great. All that being said, Drouin looks just as good last night. You can watch Mackinnon and Drouin again Friday night in a QMJHL game.
And don't forget to watch Strome tonight.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:53 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
That's what I'm most looking forward to, from what I recall Strome is scheduled to play in both games against the OHL.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:44 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Believe me, I'm hockey starved. AND I've been working from home since last Monday, I know the NHL Network's schedule back and forth. I will be watching every live hockey game I can catch.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That's what I'm most looking forward to, from what I recall Strome is scheduled to play in both games against the OHL.
Correct, Strome is playing both OHL games, Pelech plays OHL game 2, and I believe Reinhart plays WHL game 2.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:19 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

If you guys didn't know, Halifax vs. Gatineau on the NHLN. Good chance to get another look at MacKinnon, Drouin, and Fucale.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Konk

For those that question Jones' abilities, here are some recent WHL reports from fellow HF posters since those reports seem to be held in higher regard than actual scouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I saw him play live last night in Portlands 9-5 win over the giants and expected big things from the guy I expect to go #2 in the 13 draft.

He was better than advertised IMO.

The guy was literally a man among boys and controlled the ice every time he was on it. His poise and positioning and decision making are just incredible for a draft age guy.

I love Nathan but really can see Jones making a hard push for #1 overall as he could play top minutes in the NHL right now IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He was a monster last night. Never got hit all night, so smooth starting the transition game, hit a cross-bar and a post, scored a nice goal and took home 3rd star. Was fantastic to see him do it all live.

His goal can be seen at the 1:25 mark here:

http://saskatoonblades.com/video/ind...18ccb19f4c4794
Keep in mind Renegade Stylings is a WHL announcer and has a very keen insight into these players and how well regarded they are in comparison to most HF posters whom are far more detached than he is. I believe he even called the Reinhart pick for the Isles last year, if I recall correctly.

Jones now has 13 points in 17 games, scoring at a better clip than some forwards, including Curtis Lazar who is also a potential top 10 pick (whom I also like). The kid has out of this world skill and ability and could end up going first overall when all is said and done.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:29 PM
BennyBST

Just wondering, who are some prospects, that are not named Mackinnon or Jones in this years draft that get you really excited?

Personally for me it's Sasha Barkov. The youngest player in the draft tearing up a men's league speaks enormous volumes. I have seen highlights and the kid looks terrific, could be the best player to come out of Finland since Selanne. He's already got NHL size. His size and skillset are scary, he could end up being a 6'3" and 225 lb monster. I'd be more than happy to wind up with him if we can't get Seth Jones.

I also like Sean Monahan, who's the token "safe" pick. He's a good two way forward who could play in all situations.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:07 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

The guy that intrigues me the most from the 2nd tier is Ristolainen. He's a bit of a mystery because he's overseas, but he strikes me as a Seth Jones lite. Adding him would set our blue line up big time. The defense has been a long standing weakness, love that he's a RH shot.

I like Pulock too, but Risto excites me more. Otherwise, the system needs a bonafide sniper.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Onl reason why I am rooting for a season cancelation is because we will be a lottery pick again. Lol maybe we can land in the top 3.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:40 PM
YashinWorksHard

To me Sasha is the best player in this draft, with or whitout Mackinnon & Jones.

Any thoughts here about Curtis Lazar? I see him in some mock drafts in the top ten (in the six, seven range in some list) but his stats are just really bad in term of points for a forward.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:20 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
The guy that intrigues me the most from the 2nd tier is Ristolainen. He's a bit of a mystery because he's overseas, but he strikes me as a Seth Jones lite. Adding him would set our blue line up big time. The defense has been a long standing weakness, love that he's a RH shot.

I like Pulock too, but Risto excites me more. Otherwise, the system needs a bonafide sniper.
same for me. Like Pulock, love Risto, and we need a pure Sniper on the wing..

Also like Fucale if we have a late first and hes available...

If we go defense I think we should be looking for our Rielly Shultz type..

or just go BPA and call it a day

Old
11-24-2012, 04:56 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Onl reason why I am rooting for a season cancelation is because we will be a lottery pick again. Lol maybe we can land in the top 3.
Maybe I havent been paying close enough attention....but didnt they just pick randomly last time there was a lockout?

Old
11-24-2012, 05:19 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
Maybe I havent been paying close enough attention....but didnt they just pick randomly last time there was a lockout?
I think it has somthing to do with playoff apearances and number of 1st overall picks within the last few years

Old
11-24-2012, 06:10 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
nope, every team had at least a ball in the lottery. someone with better knowledge from the last lockout can correct me, but I believe every team started off with 3 balls, with 1 ball being deducted if the team had a #1 pick in the last 3? drafts and another ball deducted for playoff appearances in the last 5? or so seasons.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
not true at all for the reason i just posted above. If they use the same lottery method as the last lockout, we would be left with 2 balls in the lottery, and therefore we could just as easily have a bottom 10 pick as we could a top 10 pick.

if there's a season, at least we would likely be guaranteed a top 10(and more likely top 5) pick, with the way the team is currently assembled.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:59 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
not true at all for the reason i just posted above. If they use the same lottery method as the last lockout, we would be left with 2 balls in the lottery, and therefore we could just as easily have a bottom 10 pick as we could a top 10 pick.

if there's a season, at least we would likely be guaranteed a top 10(and more likely top 5) pick, with the way the team is currently assembled.
1 team will have 5 lottery balls, 6 teams will have 3 lottery balls. The isles are one of 6 teams that will have 2 lottery balls. Everyone else will have 1 lottery ball.

I am losing hope, that we'll have even a partial season.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
1 team will have 5 lottery balls, 6 teams will have 3 lottery balls. The isles are one of 6 teams that will have 2 lottery balls. Everyone else will have 1 lottery ball.

I am losing hope, that we'll have even a partial season.
I stand corrected Gentleman!

Old
11-25-2012, 12:31 PM
MarinerIslanderSean

This should put the debate to rest - the NHL's explanation of how the draft lottery was conducted in 2005:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401

Old
11-25-2012, 05:33 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

On paper our pick should end up being in the 7-13 range. Luckily, there is a ton of talent in this draft. We should be able to walk away from that spot with a great prospect. Guys like Ristolainen, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Lazar, Nichushkin, Erne. Maybe even a guy like Drouin. As long as we end up in the top half of the 1st round we should be fine.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:41 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
On paper our pick should end up being in the 7-13 range. Luckily, there is a ton of talent in this draft. We should be able to walk away from that spot with a great prospect. Guys like Ristolainen, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Lazar, Nichushkin, Erne. Maybe even a guy like Drouin. As long as we end up in the top half of the 1st round we should be fine.
Drouin is rising...reminds me of Huberdeu's rise 2 years ago. Would love to have him though.

I think we need a highly skilled winger and/or a offensize defensman

Old
11-25-2012, 08:04 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Drouin is rising...reminds me of Huberdeu's rise 2 years ago. Would love to have him though.

He is rising, probably a top-5 pick at this point. That also means a guy like Monahan or Lindholm could be bounced out a bit, which is good for us if we end up picking a little later.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:34 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
He is rising, probably a top-5 pick at this point. That also means a guy like Monahan or Lindholm could be bounced out a bit, which is good for us if we end up picking a little later.
good point.... I dont know why but i have this hunch that our pick is going to e Pulock...No reason for me to think that other than a feeling...

Lindholm is interesting he could be one of the best fowards to come out... if your picking in the top 10 your getting a good player/prospect...

Old
11-26-2012, 05:43 AM
YashinWorksHard

Elias Lidholm is a much better prospect than Forsberg was last year, he is a center but right now he is playing in the LW with Calle Jamrok as a center in the second line. He will be a super pick with a #10 selection, but is the same kind of player that Strome so .. i think we need other type of players, anyways if you pick BPA, Lidholm will be the BPA with a 10-15 pick.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

we need a stay home d man

Old
11-26-2012, 08:41 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
we need a stay home d man
Did you just miss the last draft where we took Griffin Reinhart, Ville Pokka and Adam Pelech? As well as 4 other defensemen. Not to mention guys like Donovan, deHaan, Kichton, Russo, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. clogging up our system.

If we are sitting at pick 6 or 7 and decide to take a guy like Ristolainen, I'll be fine with it because he'd warrant being picked in that area. But if we are picking earlier than that and pass on guys like Lindholm and Drouin and Monahan for a guy like Ristolainen, that would just completely confuse me.

This team has no reason to be drafting for "need" at this point. The only true "need" I can see would be at goaltender, considering after Nilsson and Poulin we basically have nothing. However, unless we pick towards the end of the 1st round, there really isn't a goalie that would warrant being taken with our first pick.

Closed Thread