HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 06:34 PM
kyle44

vCash: 500
Ouellet left tonights game with an apparent ankle sprain, hopefully its low grade...

Old
11-25-2012, 06:36 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Not sure why one or two posters keep putting St. Croix on the roster, let alone on the first line. He has almost no chance to make the team period
Personally I don't have him or Ewanyk when I try to come up with the roster, but it is not absurd to think one or both could make it. St. Croix is one of the best players in the WHL. I like his vision and passing. Ewanyk is a responsible player and is capable of shutting down opposing teams top lines. They have their work cut out for them but you cant say they have no chance. If the NHL is back then Hockey Canada will definately take a long look.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:14 PM
wings5

So no chance Nick Cousins or Myles Bell get the call to camp?

Old
11-25-2012, 10:45 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Personally I don't have him or Ewanyk when I try to come up with the roster, but it is not absurd to think one or both could make it. St. Croix is one of the best players in the WHL. I like his vision and passing. Ewanyk is a responsible player and is capable of shutting down opposing teams top lines. They have their work cut out for them but you cant say they have no chance. If the NHL is back then Hockey Canada will definately take a long look.
Ewanyk not so much, but St. Croix does have a shot, consistently the offensive catalyst on one of the CHLs best team... Didnt show too well in the SSS but was the best player on the ice offensively in the oil kings/Moose jaw game (defensively was rielly or reinhart). I know a few games isnt much but for what it is worth I have played against many of these guys that will be on World Jrs this year or trying out, and St Croix is the best player I have played against... I dont think he is as far off as some believe, maybe not the most well known name in a year where many big names will be cut because there is just too much to choose from. Sorry if that didnt make sense, wrote this over a 10 minute period lol

Old
11-25-2012, 10:49 PM
bsmith14

If I was Hockey Canada and they were planning on taking 36 players to camp, then this would be my list:

Forwards (20):

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Oklahoma, AHL)
Jonathon Huberdeau (St. Johns, QMJHL)
Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax, QMJHL)
Jonathon Drouin (Halifax, QMJHL)
Raphael Bussieres (Baie-Comeau, QMJHL)
Philipe Danault (Victoriaville, QMJHL)
Charles Hudon (Chicoutmi, QMJHL)
Mark Scheifele (Barrie, OHL)
Ryan Strome (Niagara, OHL)
Boone Jenner (Oshawa, OHL)
Brett Ritchie (Niagara, OHL)
Seth Griffith (London, OHL)
Sean Monahan (Ottawa, OHL)
Lucas Lessio (Oshawa, OHL)
Tom Wilson (Plymouth, OHL)
Matt Puempel (Kitchener, OHL)
Ty Rattie (Portland, WHL)
Hunter Shinkaruk (Medicine Hat, WHL)
Lukas Sutter (Saskatoon, WHL)
Mark McNeill (Prince Albert, WHL)

Defence (12):

Xavier Ouellet (Blainville-Broisbriand, QMJHL)
Cody Ceci (Ottawa, OHL)
Adam Pelech (Erie, OHL)
Scott Harrington (London, OHL)
Slater Koekkoek (Peterborough, OHL)
Ryan Murphy (Kitchener, OHL)
Dougie Hamilton (Niagara, OHL)
Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton, WHL)
Morgan Rielly (Moose Jaw, WHL)
Matthew Dumba (Red Deer, WHL)
Derrick Pouliot (Portland, WHL)
Ryan Pulock (Brandon, WHL)

Goalies (4):

Zach Fucale (Halifax, QMJHL)
Malcolm Subban (Belleville, OHL)
Jordan Binnington (Owen Sound, OHL)
Laurent Brossoit (Edmonton, WHL)

Old
11-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't see him in league play, but the few times I have seen Ouellet he would seem like a strange choice for a shut-down pairing to me. But that said, I think Harrington makes anybody look good defensively.
Did you watch the Canada-Russia Challenge? He was excellent defensively there.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Alberta tough

[QUOTE=bsmith14;56036179]If I was Hockey Canada and they were planning on taking 36 players to camp, then this would be my list:

Lessio is injured, and the I do not see any of the CHL players that were not in the SSS at the camp. I think Di Giuseppe is at camp thou.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Pekka Rinne

Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-Mackinnon-Strome
Monahan-Schiefele-Ritchie
Danault-Jenner-Wilson
X-Hudon,Mcneill

Rielly-Hamilton
Ouellet-Harrington
Reinhart-Murphy
X-Dumba

Subban
Binnington/Brossoit

Old
11-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
St. Croix will be getting jobbed for 2nd straight yr unfortunately.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:43 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
St. Croix will be getting jobbed for 2nd straight yr unfortunately.
It's not "getting jobbed" it's just not a good fit. This comes from a guy that fully appreciates St. Croix and his talent. If the NHL comes back it's a different story because with training camp guys gone he immediately becomes one of the most dangerous offensive threats in the country.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Are you that lazy? It was like 10 posts up...
It's 1 little post in the middle of a bunch of huge posts with predicted rosters. I'm not reading massive posts when I can take two seconds to ask a question and get an answer my time is valuable.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:32 AM
markrander87

I've been skimming through this thread and one word I haven't seen used yet is "chemistry" team Canada needs to focus more on chemistry, players who have played a significant amount together. This is such a quick tournament. This could be the difference in a close checking 1 goal game against Russia or the USA. Who cares if we blow out some lessor team.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
I've been skimming through this thread and one word I haven't seen used yet is "chemistry" team Canada needs to focus more on chemistry, players who have played a significant amount together. This is such a quick tournament. This could be the difference in a close checking 1 goal game against Russia or the USA. Who cares if we blow out some lessor team.
They have done this in the past, and it didn't last. They took a full line from Windsor, it never lasted at all. They will take the best players and build chemistry, rather than pick chemistry over skill.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
They have done this in the past, and it didn't last. They took a full line from Windsor, it never lasted at all. They will take the best players and build chemistry, rather than pick chemistry over skill.
You can have Chemistry and Skill with Drouin and Mac!

Old
11-26-2012, 09:17 AM
BigZKingK

I don`t follow the CHL much but do you guys think Driedger got any chance to get a invite to camp?

Old
11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
markrander87

Quote:

And in the past 3 years we've won zero gold medals....something has to change. Also.."build chemistry" haha in what 3 weeks?? Do you realize how foolish that sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
You can have Chemistry and Skill with Drouin and Mac!

Bingo. If a player is on the bubble and he has proven chemistry with a player who will make the team, this should be a huge factor in selecting the team. For whatever reason it seems like a lot of the time this gets overlooked.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

They better play Jenner a lot.
He can be a shutdown, hard worker. But he is probably one of the teams best game changers, in terms of scoring.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
And in the past 3 years we've won zero gold medals....something has to change. Also.."build chemistry" haha in what 3 weeks?? Do you realize how foolish that sounds.

Bingo. If a player is on the bubble and he has proven chemistry with a player who will make the team, this should be a huge factor in selecting the team. For whatever reason it seems like a lot of the time this gets overlooked.
I'm not sure where you are going with that seeing as the tried the chemistry part in 2010, the first year of the losing streak.

Bringing someone who deserves to be there, who has chemistry with someone, like Drouin, is not the same as bringing someone for "Chemistry", like with Henrique (was not deserving "at the time" over others) and Nemisz in 2010. Sure, they had Chemistry with Hall playing together in Windsor, but that didn't mean anything once the tournament started, which we found out quickly.

These are not rec league players, they know how to play off of each other, and 3 weeks is enough time for these players to gel.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:32 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBoy8 View Post
Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-Mackinnon-Strome
Monahan-Schiefele-Ritchie
Danault-Jenner-Wilson
X-Hudon,Mcneill

Rielly-Hamilton
Ouellet-Harrington
Reinhart-Murphy
X-Dumba

Subban
Binnington/Brossoit
I think this lineup would be pretty good. Lots of skill and I think that Hudon will get more than his fair share of ice time regardless of his role. Hockey Canada seems to love him. I'm not 100% sold on Ritchie, but we'll see how he does in camp. The other thing that i'm not sure of is the three 17 year old forwards on the team. Has Hockey Canada ever had three 17 year olds forwards on a WJHC team? Will this team be physcial enough? We know that Jenner and Wilson can bring it...for the rest, we have to hope that like some past members of the junior team, they can turn it on when they need to.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:40 AM
markrander87

Quote:
I'm not sure where you are going with that seeing as the tried the chemistry part in 2010, the first year of the losing streak.

Bringing someone who deserves to be there, who has chemistry with someone, like Drouin, is not the same as bringing someone for "Chemistry", like with Henrique (was not deserving "at the time" over others) and Nemisz in 2010. Sure, they had Chemistry with Hall playing together in Windsor, but that didn't mean anything once the tournament started, which we found out quickly.

These are not rec league players, they know how to play off of each other, and 3 weeks is enough time for these players to gel.
That's your example? Canada lost in OT to the US in the Gold medal game after beating them in the round robin. Agreed Nemisz and Henrique didn't work out but as per my post i'm referring to Drouin with Mackinnon.

Why if Drouin was say on the bubble for the 13th forward position with Monahan would they not take the forward who has proven chemistry with Mackinnon.

Also 3 weeks is not enough time for players to "gel". Sure they will have a system in place, but in terms of instinctually knowing where your linemate could be on the ice is not obtained in 3 weeks of ice time.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
That's your example? Canada lost in OT to the US in the Gold medal game after beating them in the round robin. Agreed Nemisz and Henrique didn't work out but as per my post i'm referring to Drouin with Mackinnon.

Why if Drouin was say on the bubble for the 13th forward position with Monahan would they not take the forward who has proven chemistry with Mackinnon.

Also 3 weeks is not enough time for players to "gel". Sure they will have a system in place, but in terms of instinctually knowing where your linemate could be on the ice is not obtained in 3 weeks of ice time.
It's not about that. Obviously chemistry would be nice to have. But in a tournament like this, if a line doesn't produce immediate results, they are going to change up the players pretty quickly and then that whole "chemistry thing" gets thrown out the window. What you're left with are players individually not as skilled or as experienced as the ones you could have brought over.

I agree that Drouin and Mackinnon would be a great luxury to have and they fit the bill of guys with chemistry likely to put up immediate results and I hope they take a look at it. But judging by Hockey Canada standards, they rarely think "outside the box". So I think Drouin won't make the team despite how much I want him to.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:20 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
It's not about that. Obviously chemistry would be nice to have. But in a tournament like this, if a line doesn't produce immediate results, they are going to change up the players pretty quickly and then that whole "chemistry thing" gets thrown out the window. What you're left with are players individually not as skilled or as experienced as the ones you could have brought over.

I agree that Drouin and Mackinnon would be a great luxury to have and they fit the bill of guys with chemistry likely to put up immediate results and I hope they take a look at it. But judging by Hockey Canada standards, they rarely think "outside the box". So I think Drouin won't make the team despite how much I want him to.
That's my point though. It's such a short tournament so how and when are you suppose to know if a line has gelled or not? A duo like MacKinnon-Drouin doesn't come around that often, it would be a terrible decision to not have them both on the team. Again....proven chemistry. We don't have to wait 2-3 games to see if they'll play well together.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:32 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If I was Hockey Canada and they were planning on taking 36 players to camp, then this would be my list:
My picks (bold are different than bsmith14's list):

Forwards (20):

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Oklahoma, AHL)
Jonathon Huberdeau (St. Johns, QMJHL)
Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax, QMJHL)
Jonathon Drouin (Halifax, QMJHL)
Adam Lowry (Swift Current, WHL) (Replaces Bussieres)
Philipe Danault (Victoriaville, QMJHL)
Charles Hudon (Chicoutmi, QMJHL)
Mark Scheifele (Barrie, OHL)
Ryan Strome (Niagara, OHL)
Boone Jenner (Oshawa, OHL)
Brett Ritchie (Niagara, OHL)
Seth Griffith (London, OHL)
Sean Monahan (Ottawa, OHL)
Lucas Lessio (Oshawa, OHL)
Tom Wilson (Plymouth, OHL)
Matt Puempel (Kitchener, OHL)
Ty Rattie (Portland, WHL)
Hunter Shinkaruk (Medicine Hat, WHL)
Tyler Graovac (Ottawa, OHL) (Replaces Sutter)
Brendan Leipsic (Portland, WHL) (Replaces McNeill)

Defence (12):

Xavier Ouellet (Blainville-Broisbriand, QMJHL)
Ryan Sproul (Soo, OHL) (Replaces Ceci)
Stuart Percy (Mississauga, OHL) (Replaces Pelech)
Scott Harrington (London, OHL)
Frank Corrado (Sudbury, OHL) (Replaces Koekkoek)
Ryan Murphy (Kitchener, OHL)
Dougie Hamilton (Niagara, OHL)
Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton, WHL)
Morgan Rielly (Moose Jaw, WHL)
Matthew Dumba (Red Deer, WHL)
Derrick Pouliot (Portland, WHL)
Ryan Pulock (Brandon, WHL)

Goalies (4):

Etienne Marcoux (Blainville-Boisbriand, QMJHL) (Replaces Fucale)
Malcolm Subban (Belleville, OHL)
Jordan Binnington (Owen Sound, OHL)
Laurent Brossoit (Edmonton, WHL)

Old
11-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
That's my point though. It's such a short tournament so how and when are you suppose to know if a line has gelled or not? A duo like MacKinnon-Drouin doesn't come around that often, it would be a terrible decision to not have them both on the team. Again....proven chemistry. We don't have to wait 2-3 games to see if they'll play well together.
Chemistry is part of it, and I'm sure they are looking into it. But so many other factors need to be put into play. Playing on bigger ice surface kinda changes a players instincts of knowing where the others gonna be. Plus factors like performing in pressure situations, handling momentum swings...I mean, I'm all for putting Drouin and Mackinnon on the team, but typically, 17 yr olds haven't been all that stellar in the past several WJC's. So looking at it from team Canada's perspective I could see it being hard for them to have one of their lines made up of primarily 17 yr olds.

But if it were me, I'd def put them on the team with Huberdeau, they definitely had chemistry and incredible offensive potential.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post

That's my point though. It's such a short tournament so how and when are you suppose to know if a li e has gelled or not? A duo like MacKinnon-Drouin doesn't come around that often, it would be a terrible decision to not have them both on the team. Again....proven chemistry. We don't have to wait 2-3 games to see if they'll play well together.

Closed Thread