HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marian Gaborik at 2013 Draft

Old
11-26-2012, 12:18 AM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
I heard from a real estate agent that gabby bought a house in Vancouver.
I see it from a different perspective, Vancouvers housing market is sky high, he's just capitalizing on a good business venture. Probably a rental house.

AmazedRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:42 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Demitra has never played center in his time with the Wild......

It would look something like Demitra-Belanger-Gaborik.
Yeah. Yeah. You just totally discreted yourself.

Raise your hand if you actually watched those seasons.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/...demitra-extra/

Demitra-Belanger-Gaborik was the plan when Belanger was signed. But Gaborik and Demo didn't like playing with Belanger - who was moved to the 2nd line between Rolston and Bouchard. Koivu, at the time, was on the 3rd line with Veullieux/Parish and Branko R.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Why would the Rangers trade Gaborik for a deal based around futures when they're trying to win now? You take 35 goals out of our lineup and we're back to square one -- and that's assuming Nash can pick up the slack. I'm high on the kids who are coming up through the ranks, but outside of Kreider, we don't have a viable NHL-ready scoring threat in the system right now.

If Gaborik is dealt, it'll likely be for a cheaper 2nd line forward with some rebound potential. Probably one who is more of North/South player and brings something to the table outside of scoring. Balance with picks and prospects as necessary.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:48 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Why would the Rangers trade Gaborik for a deal based around futures when they're trying to win now? You take 35 goals out of our lineup and we're back to square one -- and that's assuming Nash can pick up the slack. I'm high on the kids who are coming up through the ranks, but outside of Kreider, we don't have a viable NHL-ready scoring threat in the system right now.

If Gaborik is dealt, it'll likely be for a cheaper 2nd line forward with some rebound potential. Probably one who is more of North/South player and brings something to the table outside of scoring. Balance with picks and prospects as necessary.

The problem with what you want in return for Gaborik is that the only teams trading for Gabby with one year left on his contract are teams in win-now mode. Those teams are not going to part with key contributors to their team. Futures would be the only compensation. Valuable futures, but futures nontheless. If that doesn't work, keeping Gaborik is definitely an option...

I just don't see how you could re-sign him as well as Callahan, Boyle, Kreider, Girardi, Stralman and Lundqvist. Not to mention taking into account the raises that McDonagh, Stepan, Del Zotto and Hagelin will have warranted between that time and now. IMO, even if the Rangers decide to let Boyle and Stralman walk, there is no way they'll be able to re-sign Gaborik if he ends up wanting the same amount that he's making now(which he will).

I think the only way it can work is by letting Boyle and Stralman walk, and either letting Girardi walk or trading Staal. IMO it would make more sense to keep the rock-solid defense intact and move Gaborik, who's numbers could easily be replaced by an equally talented Nash and an up-and-coming star in Kreider. All while adding valuable pieces in the trading of Gaborik to keep you competitive for the long haul, while remaining competitive in the now. Just my two cents...

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
The problem with what you want in return for Gaborik is that the only teams trading for Gabby with one year left on his contract are teams in win-now mode. Those teams are not going to part with key contributors to their team. Futures would be the only compensation. Valuable futures, but futures nontheless. If that doesn't work, keeping Gaborik is definitely an option...

I just don't see how you could re-sign him as well as Callahan, Boyle, Kreider, Girardi, Stralman and Lundqvist. Not to mention taking into account the raises that McDonagh, Stepan, Del Zotto and Hagelin will have warranted between that time and now. IMO, even if the Rangers decide to let Boyle and Stralman walk, there is no way they'll be able to re-sign Gaborik if he ends up wanting the same amount that he's making now(which he will).

I think the only way it can work is by letting Boyle and Stralman walk, and either letting Girardi walk or trading Staal. IMO it would make more sense to keep the rock-solid defense intact and move Gaborik, who's numbers could easily be replaced by an equally talented Nash and an up-and-coming star in Kreider. All while adding valuable pieces in the trading of Gaborik to keep you competitive for the long haul, while remaining competitive in the now. Just my two cents...
Keeping Gaborik really isn't an option, IMO. I know some people like to think there is some sort of magic cap calculation out there that will allow us to keep him, but it's not there. However, I don't think win-now teams are the only ones who would want Gaborik. I'd bet that a few teams who are just starting to turn it around would welcome the addition of a 40 goal scorer. I'm not expecting to exchange Gaborik for a 23 year old 30 goal scorer, I'd be looking to exchange him for a winger who can lay the body and forecheck a little better than Gabby while likely accounting for 50-60% of the production. No way to tell who will be available by the time the Rangers start shopping him.

The strength of this team is it's defense. I doubt we'll see any of them leave anytime soon. That includes Boyle. He's a great defensive forward.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Keeping Gaborik really isn't an option, IMO. I know some people like to think there is some sort of magic cap calculation out there that will allow us to keep him, but it's not there. However, I don't think win-now teams are the only ones who would want Gaborik. I'd bet that a few teams who are just starting to turn it around would welcome the addition of a 40 goal scorer. I'm not expecting to exchange Gaborik for a 23 year old 30 goal scorer, I'd be looking to exchange him for a winger who can lay the body and forecheck a little better than Gabby while likely accounting for 50-60% of the production. No way to tell who will be available by the time the Rangers start shopping him.

The strength of this team is it's defense. I doubt we'll see any of them leave anytime soon. That includes Boyle. He's a great defensive forward.
The problem with that is that you would then have to pay THAT player 3+ million a season.

The ONLY reason there is in dealing Gaborik is that you shed the full and complete 7.5 million he is set to earn giving the team the financial flexibility to sign McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, and Sauer.

The raises these guys get will devour the 7.5 Gabby makes.

The following season a tougher decision is going to need to be made to account for the raises that Callahan & Lundqvist WILL get in addition to the raise that Kreider will also get.

That decision is going to be to let Girardi walk as a UFA or do you trade him at the deadline.

If we are contending, he walks as a UFA, unless a team blows the Rangers away at the deadline and even then I kind of doubt they trade him

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The problem with that is that you would then have to pay THAT player 3+ million a season.

The ONLY reason there is in dealing Gaborik is that you shed the full and complete 7.5 million he is set to earn giving the team the financial flexibility to sign McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, and Sauer.

The following season a tougher decision is going to need to be made to account for the raises that Callahan & Lundqvist WILL get in addition to the raise that Kreider will also get.

That decision is going to be to let Girardi walk as a UFA or do you trade him at the deadline.

If we are contending, he walks as a UFA, unless a team blows the Rangers away at the deadline and even then I kind of doubt they trade him
I'm not so sure. Unless Girardi is looking to completely break the bank, I could see him fitting within the cap.

Right now the Rangers are roughly $11M under the cap(according to capgeek). Assuming Del Zotto gets around $3.5M, that leaves $7.5M. After the season, assuming Halpern and Eminger walk, and Sauer is either traded or let go, that opens up another $2.7M in cap space, bringing the total back up to $10.2M. Even if McDonagh gets $5M(a $3.7M raise), Stepan gets $4M($3.125M raise), and Hagelin gets $2M($1.125M raise) - that still leaves $2.25M cap space. That number goes up to about $4M when you factor in Drury's buyout coming off the cap. The only roster hole would be a d-man to replace Eminger's spot, which could be a rookie, which would only bump the cap down about a million.

Now you head into the 2014 offseason with $3M in capspace. That number goes up to $10.5M with Gaborik($7.5M) leaving, and then up to $13.8M when you factor in Pyatt($1.55M), Asham($1M) and Bickel($0.75M) leaving as well. Let's assume worst case scenario, where Callahan gets bumped up to $6M per year($1.725M raise), Lundqvist gets bumped up to $8M per year($1.125M raise), Boyle up to $3.5M per year($1.8M raise), Stralman up to $3M($1.3M raise) and Kreider up to $3.5M per($2.175M raise), that still leaves about $5.675M in space to give Girardi his $1.675-2.175M(which would take him to either $5M or $5.5M, definitely fair IMO). Let's say he get's $5.5M, that still leaves $3.5M in cap space assuming guys like Rupp, Haley and Biron re-sign for the same amount. If they won't, you find other options that will.

Obviously the cap could drop, which could change things, but if so I think guys like Stralman and Boyle would be easier to part with than Girardi, and should arguably provide enough relief($6.5M in cap according to this scenario).

Sorry for the long-windedness, but I just don't think Girardi needs to be a casualty of the cap as well. Gaborik, yes, but IMO not Girardi.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

With the cap going down and the likely restraints put on 2nd contracts by the new CBA, I'm not really that worried about wedging in another $3M player. What team is in a situation to take on $7.5M in cap without sending any money back right now, let alone when the cap is retracted? With Sauer's injury history, he's not getting a huge raise.

Lundqvist should not be in line for a raise, and frankly neither should Callahan. They're making as much as they are because the cap is going up. If it goes down, their new contracts will reflect the new financial landscape.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
NYR Viper

If I was the Rangers, I would be fine with valuable futures for Gaborik ter next off-season. When the Rangers aquired Nash, I understood Gaborik would most likely not be re-signed and I would rather replenish the system with (1) trade than let him go for free.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
No way that works with the cap.
Well if Raymond isn't re-signed and Ballard' and Luongo are traded, than yes it could potentially work.

33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
pld459666

Quote:
I'm not so sure. Unless Girardi is looking to completely break the bank, I could see him fitting within the cap.

Right now the Rangers are roughly $11M under the cap(according to capgeek). Assuming Del Zotto gets around $3.5M, that leaves $7.5M. After the season, assuming Halpern and Eminger walk, and Sauer is either traded or let go, that opens up another $2.7M in cap space, bringing the total back up to $10.2M. Even if McDonagh gets $5M(a $3.7M raise), Stepan gets $4M($3.125M raise), and Hagelin gets $2M($1.125M raise) - that still leaves $2.25M cap space. That number goes up to about $4M when you factor in Drury's buyout coming off the cap. The only roster hole would be a d-man to replace Eminger's spot, which could be a rookie, which would only bump the cap down about a million.

Now you head into the 2014 offseason with $3M in capspace. That number goes up to $10.5M with Gaborik($7.5M) leaving, and then up to $13.8M when you factor in Pyatt($1.55M), Asham($1M) and Bickel($0.75M) leaving as well. Let's assume worst case scenario, where Callahan gets bumped up to $6M per year($1.725M raise), Lundqvist gets bumped up to $8M per year($1.125M raise), Boyle up to $3.5M per year($1.8M raise), Stralman up to $3M($1.3M raise) and Kreider up to $3.5M per($2.175M raise), that still leaves about $5.675M in space to give Girardi his $1.675-2.175M(which would take him to either $5M or $5.5M, definitely fair IMO). Let's say he get's $5.5M, that still leaves $3.5M in cap space assuming guys like Rupp, Haley and Biron re-sign for the same amount. If they won't, you find other options that will.

Obviously the cap could drop, which could change things, but if so I think guys like Stralman and Boyle would be easier to part with than Girardi, and should arguably provide enough relief($6.5M in cap according to this scenario).

Sorry for the long-windedness, but I just don't think Girardi needs to be a casualty of the cap as well. Gaborik, yes, but IMO not Girardi.
I'm expecting the cap to be under 60 million when the season does start. So all of my thoughts with regards to what the Rangers are going to need to do on a going forward basis are based on that.

But, if the cap is in the mid 60's, then I concede that it changes everything.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:11 PM
haveandare

I think too many NYR fans are thinking about this in terms of what they would like to do to manage the cap situation rather than what Sather is likely to do. He's not going to trade Gaborik if there is ANY way to avoid it in my opinion. Yes, you may think its wiser to hold on to the D and guys like Boyle or whoever, but Sather is the one who is actually going to make the call and from everything he's ever done it seems obvious that he values star-power and anybody who can score 30+ goals more than he values anything else, including a disgustingly deep D corps and/or competent defensive forwards. I'd be shocked if he trades Gabby before losing one of Girardi or Staal. I'm not sure I agree with it as a strategy, but it seems more likely that Sather would do something like that than trade Gaborik for anything but a stellar return.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:21 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Saving Girardi's salary will not be enough to sign the RFA's we have coming up next summer let alone the UFA's the year after.

Fact is, we are probably going to have to make the Gaborik move at the draft and then still look to move girardi the following year.
You may be right... I'm just hoping Girardi gets us close enough we can still manage to hold on to Gaborik instead.

But it could well be Gabby first and maybe Girardi next.

Realizing Nash is certainly a keeper for the time being, the other big salary is Richards...

As feasible move Richards + Girardi, keep the snipers and the kids.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:33 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

Well said.
But we may be able to keep Gaborik if we move Girardi, and, for example,
get a couple of players to re-sign for a little less (Gaborik, for just one)
and hold the line or take smaller raises (Callahan, Hank)
and don''t give others overpayment (Stepan does not yet deserve a major increase; we may have to pay him if there is a market that will overpay, so we may deal him instead)
and move others who are not deadwood, but replaceable by cheaper (you cited Rupp, Haley and Biron).

neither top Ds nor snipers grow on trees.
we will have to play our cards carefully, in any event.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:40 PM
capitalsrock

Am I far off by saying a deal could be made between San Jose and the Rangers consisting of Gaborik and Pavelski as the center pieces?

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:55 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
I see it from a different perspective, Vancouvers housing market is sky high, he's just capitalizing on a good business venture. Probably a rental house.
That was sarcasm on his part; word back when Gaborik went to UFA was that he had bought a house in West Vancouver and of course people ran away with that, thinking he was a lock to sign with the Canucks.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:07 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Am I far off by saying a deal could be made between San Jose and the Rangers consisting of Gaborik and Pavelski as the center pieces?
I would be interested in something like that for sure.