HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

U20 WJC roster discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2012, 07:00 PM
  #51
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Certainly not. The EIHL weekly roundup show is the only domestic hockey we get on TV, and there's only the occasional EIHL online live stream (which you have to pay for)
Lammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmme

How many people are paying to watch British Hockey online? Just sayin

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
  #52
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Lammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmme

How many people are paying to watch British Hockey online? Just sayin
Fans of the travelling team

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:06 AM
  #53
mattski93
Poo Brain
 
mattski93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oldham, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Will that be televised (aka watchable online)? I'd love to see the U20 team and Tony Hand in 1 game
There'll be highlights afterwards on Youtube. In games like this Tony usually coaches from the bench, I expect he'll want a good look at the players himself for senior GB team purposes.

mattski93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
  #54
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Fans of the travelling team
That doesn't answer the question of "How many"

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:38 AM
  #55
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
That doesn't answer the question of "How many"
Well I don't have the statistics so I couldn't say

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
  #56
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Well I don't have the statistics so I couldn't say
Exactly so the sarcastic answer was useless

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:23 AM
  #57
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Exactly so the sarcastic answer was useless
I can tell you who watches it but not how many

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:41 AM
  #58
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
I can tell you who watches it but not how many
ye but my point was, with the low popularity hockey has in Britain, making people pay to watch games online isn't exactly going to help. I don't even have to pay to watch NHL games online

Basically what I'm saying is they're probably making 14 dollars by selling a live stream whereas you could put it out for free, get people watching, and maybe people they'll be more interested in going to watch a game when the teams in town. Put a couple ads on during breaks on the live stream and you'll make more money then you will by making people pay for the stream.

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:58 AM
  #59
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
ye but my point was, with the low popularity hockey has in Britain, making people pay to watch games online isn't exactly going to help. I don't even have to pay to watch NHL games online

Basically what I'm saying is they're probably making 14 dollars by selling a live stream whereas you could put it out for free, get people watching, and maybe people they'll be more interested in going to watch a game when the teams in town. Put a couple ads on during breaks on the live stream and you'll make more money then you will by making people pay for the stream.
Sorry but I don't think putting out a free stream is going to attract any new fans. Their logic seems to be that if they stream the game for free their own fans will just stay home and watch it on their computer. While paying for a stream would still be cheaper than a ticket most would rather pay a little more to watch it live. And the revenue from ads on the stream would go to the website not the club.

I think they've ditched the live stream anyway because I haven't seen it mentioned on THF for a while.


Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 11-26-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:12 PM
  #60
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
I dunno exposure is important.
The Q had free streams now PPV and attendance hasn't changed, NBL Canada (basketball) has free steams and attendance has held. AUS has free streams and attendance hasn't changed.
Blackhawks Wurtz was against TV and attendance fell.Those that can attend will and those that can't will watch. The fan base will grow with more exposure.
We in Canada just finished the Grey Cup (gridiron...google it) that was avialable on TV livestream via the net and by mobile apps.
Exposure...Exposure


Last edited by Alpine: 11-26-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:22 PM
  #61
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Sorry but I don't think putting out a free stream is going to attract any new fans. Their logic seems to be that if they stream the game for free their own fans will just stay home and watch it on their computer. While paying for a stream would still be cheaper than a ticket most would rather pay a little more to watch it live. And the revenue from ads on the stream would go to the website not the club.

I think they've ditched the live stream anyway because I haven't seen it mentioned on THF for a while.
So do you believe that EIHL teams don't televise games because they think people will stay home instead of going to the rink to watch? Don't you think that maybe the games being on TV would maybe grab the attention of someone who doesn't normally watch hockey? It's no different than a live stream, you said it yourself a fan would rather spend the money to watch a game live if given the option but for fans of the away team watching a live stream or watching it on TV is obviously the next best option. Getting those people to pay to watch a video of the game isn't going to bring in many viewers and if it brings in any, it isn't creating big revenues lol

Making the stream free would obviously eliminate the revenues of people paying for the stream, so by simply playing a couple advertisements, commercials, whatever, you bring in just as much if not more than you would by making people pay to watch.

Also don't you think more people would tune in if it was free than if they had to pay for it? You can't tell me there aren't people who would watch if it was free but say no because there's a cost, that's just ridiculous

We post a ton about British hockey and you like to rip on how stuff is run and popularity of the sport won't grow with what the do right now but anything that's brought up that might help get people watching the sport, you usually try to shoot it down right away

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
  #62
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I dunno exposure is important.
The Q had free streams now PPV and attendance hasn't changed, NBL Canada (basketball) has free steams and attendance has held. AUS has free streams and attendance hasn't changed.
Blackhawks Wurtz was against TV and attendance fell.Those that can attend will and those that can't will watch. The fan base will grow with more exposure.
We in Canada just finished the Grey Cup (gridiron...google it) that was avialable on TV livestream via the net and by mobile apps.
Exposure...Exposure
You posted as I was writing up something/doing other stuff but I agree

You can't grow the sport if the leagues are apparently marketed terribly for ticket sales and you don't give anyone a chance to watch games. How much does it cost to set up a camera, plug it in, and stream it to viewers on the internet? (Not looking for a cost here, simply stating it's cheap as ***** )

You can't get people interested in something if you hide what you're trying to get them interested in

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:40 PM
  #63
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
So do you believe that EIHL teams don't televise games because they think people will stay home instead of going to the rink to watch? Don't you think that maybe the games being on TV would maybe grab the attention of someone who doesn't normally watch hockey? It's no different than a live stream, you said it yourself a fan would rather spend the money to watch a game live if given the option but for fans of the away team watching a live stream or watching it on TV is obviously the next best option. Getting those people to pay to watch a video of the game isn't going to bring in many viewers and if it brings in any, it isn't creating big revenues lol

Making the stream free would obviously eliminate the revenues of people paying for the stream, so by simply playing a couple advertisements, commercials, whatever, you bring in just as much if not more than you would by making people pay to watch.

Also don't you think more people would tune in if it was free than if they had to pay for it? You can't tell me there aren't people who would watch if it was free but say no because there's a cost, that's just ridiculous

We post a ton about British hockey and you like to rip on how stuff is run and popularity of the sport won't grow with what the do right now but anything that's brought up that might help get people watching the sport, you usually try to shoot it down right away
The EIHL games stopped being televised because Sky Sports said they didn't want to anymore as the ratings were poor. Live streams and TV is not the same thing, with TV a new fan could be just flicking through the sports channels to see what's on and find hockey, with a stream you have to actually go searching for it, you will not get new fans with live streams, we are talking about a country where a lot of people don't know what ice hockey actually is and even more people don't know it is even played here.

The EIHL teams would not make any money from ads on the stream, as it all goes to the website, same as the NHL doesn't make any from the TV ads, it all goes to the network.

I would love to be able to watch free live streams of the EIHL but unfortunately the clubs feel that it would negatively impact their attendances, and they are probably right.


Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 11-26-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:03 PM
  #64
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Well then they are losing a generation or two.Every thing we have here from Q on Telus to Jr A on FastHockey to Basketball to Senior Baseball to HS gridiron or whatever on SteamIt is available.
People expect it.
Attendance hasn't changed but fans are more informed.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:06 PM
  #65
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Well then they are losing a generation or two.Every thing we have here from Q on Telus to Jr A on FastHockey to Basketball to Senior Baseball to HS gridiron or whatever on SteamIt is available.
People expect it.
Attendance hasn't changed but fans are more informed.
Culture difference.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
  #66
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Culture difference.
Cultures change. 10 years ago there wasn't such thing a "Canadian basketball prospect" and right now we have the top high school recruit in the world


I moved to the Hockey in Britain section btw. This is wildly off topic in here

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:17 PM
  #67
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Culture difference.
Has Football, Rigby, Cricket embtraced smart phones, tablets, pc television?
Will the the next generations be sitting in front of static TV screens?

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:22 AM
  #68
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Staying in the group will be great. The junior tournaments are difficult to predict since we don't really know much about the other countries at this level until the prelim roster is up on IIHF and we can research the players.
Croatia announced their preliminary roster.

Goalies:

Ivan Ružić (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152847
Ivan Štimac-Rojtinić (Mladost) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=104794
Krešimir Mate Tomljenović (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=53883
Andrej Vasiljević (Skalica) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=57234

D's:

Luka Borić (Mladost) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=57234
Toni Borić (Mladost) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=185638
Teo Buinac (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67442
Alain Čavkić (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67454
Domagoj Kapetanić (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152341
Bruno Kegalj (Zagreb) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=151427
Jan Lendo (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=113317
Luka Marković (Dukla) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=53879
Borna Šilović (Zvolen) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=53881
Roman Škrapec (Zagreb) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=104948
Filip Tonković (Mladost) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=76141

Forwards:

Damir Buković (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67459
Robert Cerovečki (Orli) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=53766
Ivan Janković (Zagreb) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152219
Luka Jarčov (Zagreb) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=174260
Josip Jazbec (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=185639
Ivo Kaleb (Zagreb) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=100276
Domagoj Krivošić (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=108839
Matija Miličić (Zagreb) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=185643
Luka Mikulić (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67465
Mateo Nardin (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67462
Jan Novotny (Zagreb) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=104950
Krešimir Polašek (Zagreb) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=104952
Luka Ružić (Medveščak) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=165362
Marko Šakić (KAC) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37059
Ivan Šimunović (Mladost) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=108842
Luka Vukoja (Red Bull) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67284


Majority of these players plays in EBEL U20 league, which I consider stronger than any of junior leagues in GBR, but probably weaker than lower senior leagues in GBR.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:27 AM
  #69
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Croatia announced their preliminary roster.

Majority of these players plays in EBEL U20 league, which I consider stronger than any of junior leagues in GBR, but probably weaker than lower senior leagues in GBR.
Thanks for the info.

You are right, since we don't actually have a U20 league (except in Scotland)

Austria U20 doesn't look like a very good level, nearly our whole team comes from 1st and 2nd tier senior leagues so we should probably beat you. I assume Tomljenovic is the starting goaltender, quite impressive that he played for the senior team three times already.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
  #70
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Thanks for the info.

You are right, since we don't actually have a U20 league (except in Scotland)

Austria U20 doesn't look like a very good level, nearly our whole team comes from 1st and 2nd tier senior leagues so we should probably beat you. I assume Tomljenovic is the starting goaltender, quite impressive that he played for the senior team three times already.
Well, I would give you 60:40 in your favour. Last time we met at U20 level we beat you 3:2 and that was our ticket for D1. This past spring at U18 level you beat us clearly 6:0.

This Croatian U20 team is not as strong as in previous D1 campaigns, but could be very dangeours if someone underestimate them. Biggest weakness is lack of depth on D, and stronger side of team is, or should be, chemistry, as almost every player plays in same team.

Yes, Tomljenovic is starting goalie, he won't be only if he loses both of his legs . He is little bit shaky so far in the season, but most of the times he gives his best in NT uniform.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:56 AM
  #71
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Well, I would give you 60:40 in your favour. Last time we met at U20 level we beat you 3:2 and that was our ticket for D1. This past spring at U18 level you beat us clearly 6:0.

This Croatian U20 team is not as strong as in previous D1 campaigns, but could be very dangeours if someone underestimate them. Biggest weakness is lack of depth on D, and stronger side of team is, or should be, chemistry, as almost every player plays in same team.

Yes, Tomljenovic is starting goalie, he won't be only if he loses both of his legs . He is little bit shaky so far in the season, but most of the times he gives his best in NT uniform.
Yeah, another Croatian poster told me in another section of the forum that Croatia had a good couple of years of junior guys who played in better leagues abroad like Finland who are now too old.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:00 PM
  #72
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Yeah, another Croatian poster told me in another section of the forum that Croatia had a good couple of years of junior guys who played in better leagues abroad like Finland who are now too old.
Rendulic plays in SM-Liiga for HPK, and Trstenjak was very good player for Slovan juniors in Slovakia, but Slovan moved to KHL so he couldn't compete for spot there. Both are too old for U20.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:46 AM
  #73
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
Italy and Kazakhstan now have their prelim rosters on the IIHF page

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/322/IHM3220ITA_32E_1_0.pdf
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/322/IHM3220KAZ_32E_1_0.pdf

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
  #74
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,514
vCash: 50
When does the tournament start?

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:44 PM
  #75
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,083
vCash: 500
December 10th

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.