HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Does anders lee sign with the isles after this season?

View Poll Results: does anders lee sign with the islanders when he finishes college
yes 29 42.65%
no 39 57.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-25-2012, 07:01 PM
ndgolden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
Anders Lee can be a good 3rd liner, and I don't think his upside is much higher than that. I could be wrong, but I think Isles fans have overrated him. I don't think he is in the same stratosphere as Brock Nelson
Lee's results from this weekend vs. Brock's old team ND.

Friday:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LkNK...feature=relmfu

Saturday:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSMuj...e_gdata_player

ndgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Teams with deep pockets and weak prospect pools, will be making Lee offers if he gets to the ufa market. His agent wouldn't be doing his job, if he didn't encourage Lee to see what other teams will offer.
Indeed. Very much so.

Gotta think that if Snow doesn't find a way to sign him, then he should have little problem finding exactly that type of team - or maybe one that is 'closer to home', should that be of importance to him.

I guess some of it would depend on what the demands are. I'm pretty sure Snow will be offering him a fair ELC. It's then up to Lee and his agent to see if they're happy with that or wish to seek out other offers.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Actually this is one of those bargaining chips I am guessing the players will be more then happy to part with if they get something back. In all honesty what does does 30 year old, or even 22 year old player care about some guy who figures a way around the rules and gets a sweetheart deal for proving nothing. It's not a thing I expect the NHLPA giving up willingly without a small fight, but I do think it's on their list of stuff to give up to try sweeten the pot without second thought
Could be such a chip. Hadn't really thought about that.

We shouldn't forget though, this isn't necessarily a case of someone going around the rules. It's a normal clause/stipulation of the rule governing kids who take the NCAA route.

I'm not sure how exactly any alteration would look.

I guess that if this concession on behalf of the players would be made, it'd be that IF a player decides to leave college early, he would be required by the next CBA to sign with the team that drafted him, no ifs-ands-or-buts. Maybe something like that?

The way it is now, the draftee can seek free agency four years after being drafted if he decides to leave college early and doesn't accept the offer made by his drafter within a month of the decision to leave.

I honestly don't remember how it was before, but we've now definitely seen no less than Wheeler and Schultz hit their respective drafters really hard by making use of this clause, so it should be something that's mentioned along the way.

At the end of the day, be it a junior, NCAA or Euro kid, there are ways in which, ultimately, the draftee does not have to sign with his drafter, if he chooses to go that route.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:54 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Could be such a chip. Hadn't really thought about that.

We shouldn't forget though, this isn't necessarily a case of someone going around the rules. It's a normal clause/stipulation of the rule governing kids who take the NCAA route.

I'm not sure how exactly any alteration would look.

I guess that if this concession on behalf of the players would be made, it'd be that IF a player decides to leave college early, he would be required by the next CBA to sign with the team that drafted him, no ifs-ands-or-buts. Maybe something like that?

The way it is now, the draftee can seek free agency four years after being drafted if he decides to leave college early and doesn't accept the offer made by his drafter within a month of the decision to leave.

I honestly don't remember how it was before, but we've now definitely seen no less than Wheeler and Schultz hit their respective drafters really hard by making use of this clause, so it should be something that's mentioned along the way.

At the end of the day, be it a junior, NCAA or Euro kid, there are ways in which, ultimately, the draftee does not have to sign with his drafter, if he chooses to go that route.
Or at least offer compensation to the team that loses said prospect. Maybe the size of the contract will determine the amount of compensation, similar to how signing RFAs works. If a team has to give up a 1st rounder to sign a college free agent, I'm sure most teams would back off. If not, at least the team losing the prospect will be rewarded.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Or at least offer compensation to the team that loses said prospect. Maybe the size of the contract will determine the amount of compensation, similar to how signing RFAs works. If a team has to give up a 1st rounder to sign a college free agent, I'm sure most teams would back off. If not, at least the team losing the prospect will be rewarded.
Makes good sense.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Newsday said the isles had tried to sign Lee over the summer and he rejected their offer, went back to college. Sounds like the isles think he has nhl potential.
I recall an interview with Lee in which he stated education was very important to him.

so far , it seems to be true .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:14 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Or as blinkman pointed out maybe have some form of compensation for signing a guy. Basically whatever happens on this rule will be up to the owners and I don't see the players doing much to stop it if they decide to go the extreme case of as you stated above the players have no choice were to sign(ie I am sure the NHLPA will be willing to use it as a bargainning chip and give it to them in the end).

What i would like to see for both sides

Team holds rights to players till they are of Free agency age(assuming they offered them a contract) and those players are treated as a RFA but for the players side any year over 22 eats up 1 year of entry level deal so if a guy comes into the league at 24 like Anders Lee he already has 2 years of his ELC over with

Last edited by boredmale: 11-26-2012 at 12:21 PM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Team holds rights to players till they are of Free agency age(assuming they offered them a contract) and those players are treated as a RFA but for the players side any year over 22 eats up 1 year of entry level deal so if a guy comes into the league at 24 like Anders Lee he already has 2 years of his ELC over with.
If one could have any belief in them taking the time to look through various suggestions from the outside, I'd say shoot this idea off to Bettman and Fehr in a mail ASAP.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:47 AM
BillD

Before the Barclays announcement I voted no, that Lee would seek free agency.
I felt that he would want to expand his options and opportunities, and not want to be on a sinking shipwreck.
I would say that he might still want to expand his opportunities, but if Wang starts to allow positive growth of a cometitive team (but not so competitive that Lee would feel he had no shot to break the line-up like he might with a more established team), I feel our chances of signing him would be better than 50%.
With John Tavares and the young core/prospect hopefuls starting to make a winning impression in the NHL, Lee would likely have interest in signing an ELC at probably 2nd round money.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Before the Barclays announcement I voted no, that Lee would seek free agency.
I felt that he would want to expand his options and opportunities, and not want to be on a sinking shipwreck.
I would say that he might still want to expand his opportunities, but if Wang starts to allow positive growth of a cometitive team (but not so competitive that Lee would feel he had no shot to break the line-up like he might with a more established team), I feel our chances of signing him would be better than 50%.
With John Tavares and the young core/prospect hopefuls starting to make a winning impression in the NHL, Lee would likely have interest in signing an ELC at probably 2nd round money.
So we better hope we still suck.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:24 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
So we better hope we still suck.
No. By the time Lee would be ready to decide the Isles should be on the rise as a competitive team, a playoff team. But not so elite AT THAT MOMENT that it might discourage a player aged 24 that he would be in a long line to break into the lineup.
Opportunities to play, home team, and to a lesser degree contract rate are what drive free agents after you eliminate the legitimacy question that I hope will be put to rest with the Barclays and Wang spending an appropriately larger payroll for established talent.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
I'll admit my answer is biased because we're the Islanders, and over the course of the past two decades, nothing has gone our way (save for the move to Brooklyn, I suppose). Woe is this franchise.

I'd like to believe that he wants to finish up at ND and receive a quality education, have a shot at a National Championship, and then sign with the Islanders. But then again, is he trying to boost his stock by dominating the NCAA on a top contender and, in effect, earn more money when he becomes a "free agent" ala Justin Schultz?

Doubting Thomas says, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:28 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
I recall an interview with Lee in which he stated education was very important to him.

so far , it seems to be true .

Well then that sucks for us because once you have knowledge you become keenly aware that signing with the Isles over a real NHL franchise is the dumbest thing you can do for your development as an NHLer.

Here's hoping that Lee is cutting class at ND...

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote