HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

MVP Talk (poll updated Dec 12)

View Poll Results: Who's your pick for NFL MVP?
Adrian Peterson 70 64.22%
Peyton Manning 25 22.94%
Tom Brady 12 11.01%
Other 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
  #76
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
... I don't think you understand what unprecedented means.
Ok rare, ass

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:00 PM
  #77
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Ok rare, ass
3-4 OLBs are supposed to get sacks. Why they are heavily represented among the sack leaders.

3-4 ends are not supposed to get sacks.

EDIT: For some reason, completely forgot about Bruce Smith. What Watt is doing is rare as well, as Bruce Smith has already been there and done that.

Point remains, what Watt is doing as a 3-4 end is exceedingly rare. You can count the number of 3-4 ends to notch double-digit sacks in history of the game on one hand.


Last edited by JCD: 11-19-2012 at 05:25 PM.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:40 PM
  #78
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,409
vCash: 500
Russel Wilson

Blue And Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
  #79
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Total QBR doesn't normally do anything. It has existed for a single season thus far.

As for Rodgers, he leads the league in official Quarterback rating and in the running to lead in TDs. He is absolutely in the running.
There's more to the game than Quarterback rating?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
  #80
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
... you do realize that Watt is only 1.5 sacks behind Miller despite playing as a 3-4 end?

What Watt is doing is unprecedented.
Bruce Smith played in a 3-4.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
  #81
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 27,877
vCash: 1
If it's not Peyton Manning, I'll be legitimately surprised.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:22 PM
  #82
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Bruce Smith played in a 3-4.
Yea, I didn't remember that until later. Did make edit later.

Watt as nothing on Smith. That said, you have to go all the way back to Smith to see a 3-4 DE rack up the numbers like this. Pretty good company to keep.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
  #83
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Yea, I didn't remember that until later. Did make edit later.

Watt as nothing on Smith. That said, you have to go all the way back to Smith to see a 3-4 DE rack up the numbers like this. Pretty good company to keep.
Calais Campbell has hit double digits.

Elvin Bethea was a 3-4 DE coached by Wade Phillips, but it was prior to sacks being an official stat.

The Orange Crush had some great disrupters in Alzado and Rulon Jones.

Was Mario a 3-4 end with Houston?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:19 PM
  #84
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,191
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
QBR needs to fall off the face of the earth, it's such a hideously bad stat.

Yesterday for example.

Rodgers, 19-27, 236 yards, 2 TD's (including one down 4 with under 2 minutes left which is apparently supposed to count more) and 1 INT. 35.7 Total QBR.

Andrew Luck, 27-50, 334 yards, 2 TD's, 3 INT's (including 2 that were returned for touchdowns). 47.2 Total QBR.

Matt Ryan, 28-46, 301 yards, 0 TD's, 5 INT's. 31.2 Total QBR.

According to that stat Andrew Luck was better than Rodgers yesterday and Rodgers and Ryan were basically the same.

Complete garbage stat.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:20 PM
  #85
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,191
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Calais Campbell has hit double digits.

Elvin Bethea was a 3-4 DE coached by Wade Phillips, but it was prior to sacks being an official stat.

The Orange Crush had some great disrupters in Alzado and Rulon Jones.

Was Mario a 3-4 end with Houston?
Cullen Jenkins had 7 in 11 games with the Packers in 2010 as a 3-4 end.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:49 PM
  #86
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Calais Campbell has hit double digits.

Elvin Bethea was a 3-4 DE coached by Wade Phillips, but it was prior to sacks being an official stat.

The Orange Crush had some great disrupters in Alzado and Rulon Jones.

Was Mario a 3-4 end with Houston?
Mario was a 3-4 end/olb when Phillips took over, but his sacks mostly came out of the 4-3 prior to then.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:40 PM
  #87
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
Yahoo!'s Eric Adelson is making a MVP case for Jay Cutler.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:50 AM
  #88
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Yahoo!'s Eric Adelson is making a MVP case for Jay Cutler.
Oh god...

Forgetting how important Chicago's D has been, Marshall is far more deserving of the MVP than Cutler is.

He has 41% of the team's receptions, 46% of the receiving yards, and 57% of the receiving TDs. Second place on the team for those are 14%, 11%, and 14% respectively, and they're all held by different players. Cutler would be lost without him.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:51 AM
  #89
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Von Miller should win DPOY purely based on his sack dances.


Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:58 AM
  #90
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,064
vCash: 500
I thought this was going to be about Grey cup

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:02 AM
  #91
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,883
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
QBR needs to fall off the face of the earth, it's such a hideously bad stat.

Yesterday for example.

Rodgers, 19-27, 236 yards, 2 TD's (including one down 4 with under 2 minutes left which is apparently supposed to count more) and 1 INT. 35.7 Total QBR.

Andrew Luck, 27-50, 334 yards, 2 TD's, 3 INT's (including 2 that were returned for touchdowns). 47.2 Total QBR.

Matt Ryan, 28-46, 301 yards, 0 TD's, 5 INT's. 31.2 Total QBR.

According to that stat Andrew Luck was better than Rodgers yesterday and Rodgers and Ryan were basically the same.

Complete garbage stat.
QBR is just an ESPN-made stat to make them look like they know advanced numbers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:54 AM
  #92
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,345
vCash: 500
What about this guy: http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/profile

Peyton Manning is a very deserving candidate, but I'm stunned at how little consideration Tom Brady is getting. Sure, Manning's comeback story makes him a "stronger" candidate than Brady in the media's eyes, but let's look at the facts for a moment:

- Brady and Manning have virtually identical stats.
- Brady and Manning have the same numbers of wins.
- Brady beat Manning's team by 10+ points.
- Brady's offense is outproducing Manning's offense by a fair margin.

I'm not saying Brady should be the clearcut favorite, but he definetely should get as much consideration as Manning. I wouldn't be disappointed if Manning ended up winning it over Brady, he deserves it, but I'd be shocked if Brady wasn't in the top 3. Sure, there is a lot of football left to be played and things could change, but as of now, I think Brady deserves to be considered as one of the 2 or 3 leading candidates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
If it's not Peyton Manning, I'll be legitimately surprised.
However, I do agree with this guy. I expect the media to vote for Peyton in strong numbers, even if there are equally/more deserving candidates. It would be absolutely surprising if Peyton doesn't end up winning it. Is he a deserving candidate? Absolutely! Should he be the prohibitive favorite? Hell no! Should be a VERY close vote this year, but I have a feeling it won't be.


Last edited by JordanStaal#1Fan: 11-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.
JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
  #93
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Yahoo!'s Eric Adelson is making a MVP case for Jay Cutler.
As he should.

With Cutler, they are the best team in the NFL. Without, they truly stink.

Thats valuble right there.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
  #94
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 19,595
vCash: 500


The 49ers would have spanked the Bears with Cutler in. No qb would have been successful the way they broke through that o-line.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:10 PM
  #95
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
What about this guy: http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/profile

Peyton Manning is a very deserving candidate, but I'm stunned at how little consideration Tom Brady is getting. Sure, Manning's comeback story makes him a "stronger" candidate than Brady in the media's eyes, but let's look at the facts for a moment:

- Brady and Manning have virtually identical stats.
- Brady and Manning have the same numbers of wins.
- Brady beat Manning's team by 10+ points.
- Brady's offense is outproducing Manning's offense by a fair margin.

I'm not saying Brady should be the clearcut favorite, but he definetely should get as much consideration as Manning. I wouldn't be disappointed if Manning ended up winning it over Brady, he deserves it, but I'd be shocked if Brady wasn't in the top 3. Sure, there is a lot of football left to be played and things could change, but as of now, I think Brady deserves to be considered as one of the 2 or 3 leading candidates.



However, I do agree with this guy. I expect the media to vote for Peyton in strong numbers, even if there are equally/more deserving candidates. It would be absolutely surprising if Peyton doesn't end up winning it. Is he a deserving candidate? Absolutely! Should he be the prohibitive favorite? Hell no! Should be a VERY close vote this year, but I have a feeling it won't be.
Nailed it.

I can't help but think if the Pats found a way to win 2 of those 3 losses (never mind all 3) that Brady would be the clear frontrunner. Save for the Seattle game, he's been nothing short of outstanding.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
  #96
SHAR KS
Choking Hazard
 
SHAR KS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country:
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
As he should.

With Cutler, they are the best team in the NFL. Without, they truly stink.

Thats valuble right there.
They are better with Cutler for sure, but the best team in the NFL? No.

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
  #97
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post


The 49ers would have spanked the Bears with Cutler in.
Nothing but pure speculation but I highly doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
:
No qb would have been successful the way they broke through that o-line.
Cutler is used to playing with what he has in front of him. Campbell obviously wasnt.

A healthy Cutler and the Bears win both of their recent losses. He is that valuble.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
  #98
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 28,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Nailed it.

I can't help but think if the Pats found a way to win 2 of those 3 losses (never mind all 3) that Brady would be the clear frontrunner. Save for the Seattle game, he's been nothing short of outstanding.
He didn't nail anything.

-Brady has two great TEs in Gronk and Hernandez. Manning has Dreesen and Tamme. Huge edge Brady.
-Brady has Welker and Lloyd. Manning has Decker and actually makes DT look competent.
-Brady has Stevan Ridley, Manning has a stable of mediocrity.

By the definition of the award MVP, Manning has the edge.

Brady absolutely deserves consideration in the sense that he should be a "finalist", but unless he vastly outperforms Manning the rest of the season, he doesn't deserve it over him.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:00 PM
  #99
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 18,239
vCash: 500
Welker stopped being good 3 years ago and is only good to pad his stats in routs. He will choke again in the playoffs. Lloyd isn't exactly ripping up the league in receiving stats.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:33 PM
  #100
Machinehead
Moderator
TG15:WoodlandCritter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,182
vCash: 500
Can we just give Eli Manning MVP for the 8 games he's the best QB in the league for and forget the 8 games he doesn't show up to?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.