HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington-Boston

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2012, 01:50 PM
  #26
Confound
-Vindicated-
 
Confound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 17,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
Backstrom is worth more than any individual player on Boston. It would take Seguin++ to get him, and even then Washington would probably decline.
That would be over-payment by Boston especially if you think the ++ would be Lucic or Hamilton.

I would take Seguin over Backstrom as of today, I think Seguin has limitless potential and could easily be a top player in the league within the next couple years with the skills and confidence he has.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:38 PM
  #27
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty
 
Gritzky98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
That would be over-payment by Boston especially if you think the ++ would be Lucic or Hamilton.

I would take Seguin over Backstrom as of today, I think Seguin has limitless potential and could easily be a top player in the league within the next couple years with the skills and confidence he has.
Backstrom is already a top player in the league and an arguable top 5 center. Seguin has a long way to go before he's considered as good as Backstrom.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:42 PM
  #28
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 7,113
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
That would be over-payment by Boston especially if you think the ++ would be Lucic or Hamilton.

I would take Seguin over Backstrom as of today, I think Seguin has limitless potential and could easily be a top player in the league within the next couple years with the skills and
confidence he has.
I'm sorry...but there is no way Seguin is nearly as good, or as valuable as Backstrom at this point. Backstrom already is an elite, top player in the league. Seguin has the potential to be one as well, but he's not nearly there yet.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:20 PM
  #29
OrrCam
Registered User
 
OrrCam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
Don't think our GM does anything to shake up the core but out of lockout boredom...

Washington trades:
Nicklas Backstrom
Jason Chimera

Boston trades:
David Krejci
Brad Marchand
2013 2nd or 2014 1st.

Boston keeps Seguin at wing.

Please flame away. I like the abuse.
From a Bruin's fan.....No!

OrrCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:25 PM
  #30
glenbuis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Is this the same Backstrom who makes about 6.7 per and during the playoffs last year couldn't be found. Ovechkin I think was the guy who was getting about 3 minutes of ice time per game. I HAVENT SEEN THE STATS BUT I ASSUME BACKSTROM must be tearing it up over in Europe on the big ice surface where there is no checking. Washington's upset over the Bs last year had nothing to with Backstrom or Ovechkin. I would prefer Seguin or Bergeron over Backstrom.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:29 PM
  #31
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,604
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
That would be over-payment by Boston especially if you think the ++ would be Lucic or Hamilton.

I would take Seguin over Backstrom as of today, I think Seguin has limitless potential and could easily be a top player in the league within the next couple years with the skills and confidence he has.
This post made so much more sense after looking at your avatar.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:56 PM
  #32
glenbuis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Backstrom could put 100 pts for the next five years but I just dont see him exceling through 4 rounds of playoff hockey. Seguin on the other hand isn't gonna put up 100 pts over the next 5 years but he is gonna be a thorough bred who would be a consistently strong playoff performer.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
  #33
Carlzner
Game of Tanks
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
Is this the same Backstrom who makes about 6.7 per and during the playoffs last year couldn't be found. Washington's upset over the Bs last year had nothing to with Backstrom or Ovechkin. I would prefer Seguin or Bergeron over Backstrom.
Backstrom ... 8 points in 13 games.
Seguin ... 3 points in 7 games. (pointless in the first 5)
Bergeron... 2 points in 7 games.


Ok bud.


Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:08 PM
  #34
glenbuis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
If Im not mistaken I think Seguin was playing with broken fingers and Bergeron a shoulder injury. I doubt that if the circumstances were flipped that backstrom or Ovechkin would even dress. How did they do in round 2 ? Not so well but you could just see in their game that they would be getting stronger as the playoffs dragged on.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:32 PM
  #35
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,579
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
I actually think it's a fair trade. I think that Backstrom is a little overrated. Yes, he makes some incredible passes, but Boston is coughing up a couple of winners.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:44 PM
  #36
roflstomper
I don't row.
 
roflstomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Its interesting because Washington is known for its elite talent while Boston is known more for its depth. Washington loses an elite center replacing him with Krejci and getting Marchand as well. I would think from a Washington perspective the difference between Krejci and Backstrom is much greater than Marchand. As a Bruins fan I'd think long and hard about it and because I'm a homer probably means this is decent to good for Boston. Backstrom and Bergeron down the middle and getting to keep Seguin wouldnt be to shabby. Washington searched high and low for a center of Backstroms ability to play with Ovechkin however and wont be moved before he is.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:25 AM
  #37
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 500
Seguin will be Boston's 90pt guy soon. That's the thing with Boston right now, they can keep their roster together & improve just by doing that. Look at the ages of their core guys, Seguin, Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci...I think the oldest guy there is Krejci at 26.

Backstrom is a top notch player, but Boston cant survive losing 2 top-6 forwards. IMO Krejci + Marchand have a greater impact on a game than having Backstrom alone.

Backstrom is certainly > Krejci,, but that difference isnt a 23yr old 30 goal scoring aggitating winger.

That said, I clearly understand why Caps dont touch this deal, teams just dont trade away elite centers just to shake-up the roster (unless ofcourse youre Mike O'Connell)

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:52 AM
  #38
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,166
vCash: 500
Not interested. If Boston trades Krejci, I don't see it being for another center. On top of it, you'll create a pretty big hole in the top 6 with Marchand. I'm aware that Backstrom is the best player of the bunch but I don't believe that the team that gets the best player wins the trade. As a Boston fan, I'm not interested.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
  #39
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
If Im not mistaken I think Seguin was playing with broken fingers and Bergeron a shoulder injury. I doubt that if the circumstances were flipped that backstrom or Ovechkin would even dress.:
its always good to know the facts before making these kinds of statements about players on other teams.

in this case its pretty obvious that you have not done your homework on how many regular season games either 19 or 8 has ever missed. i believe that neither of them have ever missed a playoff game. in the case of this particular playoffs, backstrom was recovering from a fairly significant concussion(did you forget about that?) of which bergeron has missed far more playing time than did backstrom.

in short, you are wrong and you dont know what you are talking about.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:42 AM
  #40
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Definitely wouldn't trade Seguin for Backstrom at this point, Boston has invested too much in him and hes become one of the city's biggest sports stars. Backstrom is better at this point, but I think the difference will be negligible in the next couple years. I see Seguin as an 80-90 point goal scoring center and Backstrom more of a point producing 80-90 point center. I know Backstrom put up 101 points in 09-10, but I think #8 had just a TAD of an influence on that. If he doesnt get back to form, Backstrom/Seguin will have similar output IMO.

As a Boston fan I do the OP in a heartbeat, even tho the Caps wouldnt. Krejci gets replaced easily (and much more) by Backstrom and Marchand is expendable if it means acquiring Backstrom.

Bergeron is not better than Backstrom, but Bergeron is not getting traded. I'd be curious to see what Chiarelli would do if Bergeron was the centerpiece of a deal for Backstrom, Bergy means so much to the team/city/fans/etc. that I'm honestly not sure the Bruins would do it.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
  #41
glenbuis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Never missed playoff games. I dont recall in recent years seeing Washington advance to deep in the playoffs. You know when players stop receiving paycheques and the sole purpose of playing is to get your name on Lord Stanley. I should give Backstrom more credit. With regards to Krecji and Marchand, I think that would be a good trade for Boston. I feel that after a dozen exhibition games, 82 regular season games and then beginning the real tournament of winning 16 more real games I would sooner have Seguin and Bergeron on my bench rather than Backstrom and Ovechkin. Maybe Backstrom will prove me wrong and show some mettle over the next few years. I think Ovechkin has become to acclimatized to rich living and partying that the desire to be the best and win stanley cups isn't the biggest goal anymore like for example like a Crosby's goals. When it comes to playing hurt I'm sure that Seguin and Bergeron were in fact doing that in last years playoffs.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:46 AM
  #42
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Definitely wouldn't trade Seguin for Backstrom at this point, Boston has invested too much in him and hes become one of the city's biggest sports stars. Backstrom is better at this point, but I think the difference will be negligible in the next couple years. I see Seguin as an 80-90 point goal scoring center and Backstrom more of a point producing 80-90 point center. I know Backstrom put up 101 points in 09-10, but I think #8 had just a TAD of an influence on that. If he doesnt get back to form, Backstrom/Seguin will have similar output IMO.

As a Boston fan I do the OP in a heartbeat, even tho the Caps wouldnt. Krejci gets replaced easily (and much more) by Backstrom and Marchand is expendable if it means acquiring Backstrom.

Bergeron is not better than Backstrom, but Bergeron is not getting traded. I'd be curious to see what Chiarelli would do if Bergeron was the centerpiece of a deal for Backstrom, Bergy means so much to the team/city/fans/etc. that I'm honestly not sure the Bruins would do it.
I see lots of undervaluing Marchand by Boston fans. I really see big things for the kid, 30g 30a with regularity. And he also brings intensity. He plays a large part in Boston's offense. Losing Krejci AND Marchand is a non-starter for me.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:47 AM
  #43
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Backstrom ... 8 points in 13 games.
Seguin ... 3 points in 7 games. (pointless in the first 5)
Bergeron... 2 points in 7 games.


Ok bud.

Eh, we're over it. See "Stanley Cup 2011"

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:53 AM
  #44
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I see lots of undervaluing Marchand by Boston fans. I really see big things for the kid, 30g 30a with regularity. And he also brings intensity. He plays a large part in Boston's offense. Losing Krejci AND Marchand is a non-starter for me.
Backstrom is a 25 year old #1 center O2N. They don't grow on trees. Krejci is expendable and Marchand, while he'd be missed, doesnt have as rare of a skillet as Backstrom does.

I think its close, but I'd do it without much hesitation.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
  #45
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
Aside from Backstrom, I think a lot of people tend to not give the credit for quality role players like Jason Chimera.

This is obviously a side argument because Nik Backstrom is one of the best playmakers in the league, but Chimera is a guy that can do a lot more for a team than what shows up on a stat sheet at the end of the game.

I'd be asking for guys like Seth Griffith or even Malcolm Subban for a proven elite forward in Backstrom.

showtime8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:31 PM
  #46
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
Never missed playoff games. I dont recall in recent years seeing Washington advance to deep in the playoffs. You know when players stop receiving paycheques and the sole purpose of playing is to get your name on Lord Stanley. I should give Backstrom more credit. With regards to Krecji and Marchand, I think that would be a good trade for Boston. I feel that after a dozen exhibition games, 82 regular season games and then beginning the real tournament of winning 16 more real games I would sooner have Seguin and Bergeron on my bench rather than Backstrom and Ovechkin. Maybe Backstrom will prove me wrong and show some mettle over the next few years. I think Ovechkin has become to acclimatized to rich living and partying that the desire to be the best and win stanley cups isn't the biggest goal anymore like for example like a Crosby's goals. When it comes to playing hurt I'm sure that Seguin and Bergeron were in fact doing that in last years playoffs.
you like your team. good. enjoy. if you honestly think that krejci and marchand are better players than ovechkin and backstrom, you would be in the minority.

no question. all due credit for the stanley cup. good for you guys. good for those players. on the otherhand are you seriously going to dump the caps failure to make it past the 2nd round(the deep playoff run) on either of 19 and/or 8?? seriously? shoane morrisonn was a caps first pair defenseman for part of that history. the goaltenders in the caps ovechkin era playoff attempts have been huet(who was never a starting goalie again in the nhl), a bone rookie(varlamov), a still a rookie(varlamov), a rookie(neuvirth) and....yup, a rookie(holtby).

its a team game. when your goalie played like a vezina winner, your team won the cup. when he didnt, they blew a 3-0 lead and lost in embarrassment or defended their cup championship by losing to the no heart ovechkin and backstrom in the 1st round with home ice advantage.

like i said, you like your team. good. all due credit for the stanley cup.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
  #47
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Backstrom is a 25 year old #1 center O2N. They don't grow on trees. Krejci is expendable and Marchand, while he'd be missed, doesnt have as rare of a skillet as Backstrom does.

I think its close, but I'd do it without much hesitation.
I wont argue with ya there, Backstrom is a great #1 center. But do you think Washington's notorious 'run-n-gun' offense padded his stats a bit? Would Backstrom be a consistant 90 point guy in a Claude Julien system, (sans Ovechkin), with Lucic & Horton as his wings? I can see his pt totals dipping to 75 - 80ish.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:38 PM
  #48
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Eh, we're over it. See "Stanley Cup 2011"
one stanley cup over the period of time that the capitals have existed even being one more than the capitals have won doesnt work that well as a tool to win all lost arguments. at least not for me.

it cleanly wipes away blowing 3-0 lead to the flyers, but as the years go buy it does lose its strenth. i wonder, how many bruins players were justifying themselves after losing game 7 by saying, "yea, but see 'stanley cup 2011'?"

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:41 PM
  #49
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Aside from Backstrom, I think a lot of people tend to not give the credit for quality role players like Jason Chimera.

This is obviously a side argument because Nik Backstrom is one of the best playmakers in the league, but Chimera is a guy that can do a lot more for a team than what shows up on a stat sheet at the end of the game.

I'd be asking for guys like Seth Griffith or even Malcolm Subban for a proven elite forward in Backstrom.
Is he a third line or fourth line player? I certainly wouldnt mind him on the Bruins, but we dont really have any "openings" except on 3rd line wing potentially.

I definitely wouldnt give up Subban for him btw, id have to consider Griffith.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:48 PM
  #50
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty
 
Gritzky98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I wont argue with ya there, Backstrom is a great #1 center. But do you think Washington's notorious 'run-n-gun' offense padded his stats a bit? Would Backstrom be a consistant 90 point guy in a Claude Julien system, (sans Ovechkin), with Lucic & Horton as his wings? I can see his pt totals dipping to 75 - 80ish.
He was putting up over a PPG on a defensive hunter coached caps last year.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.