HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 10:49 AM
King Of The North
Iggy2014GoBruins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
If he puts on another 35 pounds he'll be great...
See: every other short NHL player's weight

Old
11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
got a question for Flames fan, Why are they always going off the board with long term prospect?

Do management think the crop of star players at the NHL level will still be going strong in 7-8 years? That's my problem with picks like Jankowski and Gaudreau. They may pan out, but not for a long time.
When the Flames were going after tough, western Canadian grinders, the team drafted terribly. Picks like Chucko, Pelech, they all amounted to nothing.

If we're going to pick after 10, I'd rather go full boom or bust. 3rd and 4th liners can easily be found in free agency.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
At least Rocco Grimaldi has incredible strength and balance for his size to have a chance.
Amazing how things change, Rocco(the flake) Grimaldi couldn't tie Gaudreau's skate laces now.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:09 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
I don't hate the Flames, I'm just perplexed by some of their choices. You have to admit their track record isn't the best in the NHL. That being said they did alright in recent years.

I'm not saying Jankowski is a bust, I do think he has great potential. It's just that I think Calgary should go for more polished prospect as they will sorely need help sooner rather then later.

and your right 4 round isn't bad I thought he was drafted sooner.
Sutter saw a problem with our drafting and slowly began turning it around the current scheme really started around 2007/2008 (but Sutter was still trading our picks away).

Unfortunately it's hard to show the track record of a staff that's only had 5 or 6 drafts. We haven't had any top 10 picks that could immediately jump into the nhl so instead we're picking guys who long term could fill that top 10. ie. Backlund, Erixon, Sven, and Janko. (Nemisz was seen as a bit of a replacement pick after his late teammate RIP Mickey )

Old
11-25-2012, 12:17 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
got a question for Flames fan, Why are they always going off the board with long term prospect?

Do management think the crop of star players at the NHL level will still be going strong in 7-8 years? That's my problem with picks like Jankowski and Gaudreau. They may pan out, but not for a long time.
I'm more optimistic than most about Gaudreau's time frame on making the NHL. His style isn't that dependent on strength anyway, but the rest of his game is very polished and looks to be very translatable.

The way I see it is he can do a million squats a day, he's still gonna get pushed around in the corners. That will never be his game so I don't think that his strength should be what's holding him back, especially if he's effective regardless of strength, which he has been at every level so far.

Kids never finish college if they can go pro early. Right now Gaudreau is destroying the NCAA so it might be time soon for him to face a bigger challenge, and see how his game translates to the AHL.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:35 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
I don't hate the Flames, I'm just perplexed by some of their choices. You have to admit their track record isn't the best in the NHL. That being said they did alright in recent years.

I'm not saying Jankowski is a bust, I do think he has great potential. It's just that I think Calgary should go for more polished prospect as they will sorely need help sooner rather then later.

and your right 4 round isn't bad I thought he was drafted sooner.
Past drafting record is always indicative of current standards or the future. This is one of Hfboards biggest misconceptions that somehow still persists.

Teams change management, and scouting staff. The Flames did this and it shows. In the past few drafts the scouting has been much improved.

You can't use past failures as an argument for future ones. It doesn't make sense when drafting strategy has changed and the people instituting it has changed.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:49 PM
FoppaForsberg*

IMO it's smart for the Flames to go boom or bust with their picks because they haven't had a top ten pick in a long time so instead of going for the Mark MacNeil's they go for the Bartschi's, Jankowski's, etc. However It's still kind of funny that they traded down and didn't take Teravainen.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:13 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
IMO it's smart for the Flames to go boom or bust with their picks because they haven't had a top ten pick in a long time so instead of going for the Mark MacNeil's they go for the Bartschi's, Jankowski's, etc. However It's still kind of funny that they traded down and didn't take Teravainen.
At first I wanted TT as well.

But you have a safe pick in Sieloff and the boom/bust pick in Janko rather than the one slightly safer boom/bust pick in TT. Plus TT is a winger not the C that the Flames need still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Is it really that bad? Chucko and pelech busted hard. But phaneuf is an nhl captain. Tim erixon is a top d prospect. Nemisz an still be a good 3rd liner. They rarely have had 2nd round picks. With their third a few years ago they nabbed max reinhart who looks good. Brodie was a 4th rounder who looks good. Sven is a stud.
But from Chucko and Pelech to Janko/Gaudreau and Sven, you can definitely see a change in scouting focus. Swift skaters with natural skill rather than big bruisers.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:39 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:

Other guys on the board at the time (prior to trading down to 21st): Ceci (lower ceiling), Girgensons (lower ceiling), Maata (lower ceiling), Teravainen (long term as well). Neither of the d prospects, AFAIK, is expected to become anything beyond a second pairing guy, and Girgensons' ceiling is supposedly a middle-six centre.

Teravainen was similar to Jankowski, for different reasons. He's considered longer-term because of physical attributes (fairly short, very thin), while Jankowski is considered longer-term because he's just very raw and somewhat unknown coming out of a HS league. Both guys have higher projected ceilings than the other guys available at the time, and one thing the Flames desperately need is high ceiling prospects. A guy who will help in the immediate future as an average second line forward or #4 dman isn't what the team needs; they need to build a high-end core, and the Jankowski pick, while more of a risky pick, is directed at that goal.

Gaudreau, as everyone else has said, was a 4th round pick. There's nobody in the 4th round who's considered a player who will be helpful in the near future on their draft day. He was unquestionably the best choice they could've made at that position, and it looks like they'd have been entirely justified had they taken him in the earlier two rounds as well.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Rolen
sick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
TT is overrated. Janko has produced just as well in points as TT, if not better in their said leagues. They're both similar in age for their draft, I think Janko is only like 2 weeks younger, and he's a little bit more raw just coming out of highschool hockey. When and if they make it to the NHL, it will be around the same time.

Not saying TT is bad but their is a reason that he dropped from where everyone expected him to go.

And back on topic, I'm happy with Gaudreau's progression and am astounded that anyone could say he is a 'reach' in the fourth round and a bad pick because he is a long term project? Seriously?

Old
11-26-2012, 08:35 AM
madmike77

I don't think the Flames have really gone that far off the board in most picks.

Jankowski was projected to be a late 1st, early 2nd which is where he went.

Gaudreau was a bit more off the board, but he was a 4th rounder. That's typically a good point to make a riskier pick.

The jury is still out on Jankowski and Gaudreau, but neither looks like a bad pick at this point.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Geecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
TT is overrated. Janko has produced just as well in points as TT, if not better in their said leagues. They're both similar in age for their draft, I think Janko is only like 2 weeks younger, and he's a little bit more raw just coming out of highschool hockey. When and if they make it to the NHL, it will be around the same time.

Not saying TT is bad but their is a reason that he dropped from where everyone expected him to go.

And back on topic, I'm happy with Gaudreau's progression and am astounded that anyone could say he is a 'reach' in the fourth round and a bad pick because he is a long term project? Seriously?
SM-Liiga and High school hockey... All the same right?

Old
11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geecko View Post
SM-Liiga and High school hockey... All the same right?
I think he's taking about their current leagues, chief.

Reading comprehension fail.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Geecko

NCAA and SM-Liiga then...

Old
11-26-2012, 10:08 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geecko View Post
NCAA and SM-Liiga then...
I believe he means comparably so Janko vs the average NCAA and TT vs the average SM-Liiga (although I disagree).

Old
11-26-2012, 10:32 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post

TT was considered a top ten pick.He is also producing in the FEL, a much more elite league then NCAA. He dropped because of the excellent d prospects taken above him. Id say look at which forwards were drafted before him

Old
11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
SmellOfVictory

SM-Liiga is considered a tougher league than the NCAA, but their NHL equivalents (approximately how the point totals of their players tend to translate to the NHL) are ~0.5 and 0.4, respectively. It's not a massive difference. You're talking about a mid-grade pro league (better than many, but nowhere near as good as SEL, KHL, and NHL) vs the best amateur league in the world.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
SM-Liiga is considered a tougher league than the NCAA, but their NHL equivalents (approximately how the point totals of their players tend to translate to the NHL) are ~0.5 and 0.4, respectively. It's not a massive difference. You're talking about a mid-grade pro league (better than many, but nowhere near as good as SEL, KHL, and NHL) vs the best amateur league in the world.
NCAA is not the best amatuer league in the world

Old
11-26-2012, 12:16 PM
SmellOfVictory

Which ones would you say are better?

Old
11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Which ones would you say are better?
WHL, OHL QMJHL. All 3 leagues produce the highest amount of 1 & 2 rounder.

NCAA is not on that level.

Interesting to see what Russian posters think of the RHL, the feeder league to the KHL. I dont think any players from there play in the NHL but they supply alot og KHL players. I wonder how it is in comparison to NCAA.

Also, I wonder how a really good Canadian University team like UofA would do against a good NCAA team. Those university teams are almost made up of ex CHLers who are older. Whereas NCAA is made up of americans from USHL and canadians from Jr.A leagues who are 2-3 years younger.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:42 PM
BostonCollegeFan

Sure the major junior leagues have more first and second rounders, but the college teams are older, strong guys. It's not much of a difference in the level of play. NCAA tends to be a more defensive league, whereas MJ is a more wide open game. It would be great to see NCAA teams face MJ teams but unfortunately we don't get to see that. Personally I think the top teams from each league would be pretty close.

The Canadian university teams do play college teams preseason and usually get beaten by NCAA teams

Also, the NCAA is the best amateur league in the world because the leagues you listed aren't amateur leagues. They are professional because the players get paid.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:50 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonCollegeFan View Post
Sure the major junior leagues have more first and second rounders, but the college teams are older, strong guys. It's not much of a difference in the level of play. NCAA tends to be a more defensive league, whereas MJ is a more wide open game. It would be great to see NCAA teams face MJ teams but unfortunately we don't get to see that. Personally I think the top teams from each league would be pretty close.

The Canadian university teams do play college teams preseason and usually get beaten by NCAA teams

Also, the NCAA is the best amateur league in the world because the leagues you listed aren't amateur leagues. They are professional because the players get paid.
The CHL teams have higher talent but NCAA may have more depth. But if you want to classify the CHL has "professional" because they get $44 dollars a week , then NCAA is best amatuer league. But CHL is by all means an amateur league

Old
11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
BostonCollegeFan

I'm not the one who classifies it as a professional league.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Interesting to see what Russian posters think of the RHL, the feeder league to the KHL. I dont think any players from there play in the NHL but they supply alot og KHL players. I wonder how it is in comparison to NCAA.

Also, I wonder how a really good Canadian University team like UofA would do against a good NCAA team. Those university teams are almost made up of ex CHLers who are older. Whereas NCAA is made up of americans from USHL and canadians from Jr.A leagues who are 2-3 years younger.
An NCAA team will kill a CHL team. The potential level isn't there (hence less early draftees), but the players as a group are more polished, stronger, and more effective (in large part due to average age). They also regularly play CIS teams and wipe the floor with them.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

CIS teams would beat CHL teams 9 times out of ten. CHL teams wouldn't stand a chance against the NCAA. The age difference is simply too big.

Closed Thread