HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Barrie vs Elliott

Old
11-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

vCash: 500
Elliott & Gaunce will never make it.

Jeff_Dyck_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post
Elliott & Gaunce will never make it.
??
Both have already played in the NHL.....

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
To be fair to both of them, they were here during bad stretches for the team in general and were asked to do too much. Both of them had problems defensively (Barrie was taking too many hits and Elliott didn't seem comfortable with the physical game).

I think both of them should still be considered long term projects and I guess that's why Avs signed all those marginal defensemen this summer. So we wouldn't have to recall Elliott/Barrie whenever a NHL defender got injured. If both of them spend a full season in the AHL, it's not going to hurt them.
Very true, good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
ive watched quite a bit of LEM lately, Elliot has been pretty bad while Barrie is commonly the best player on the ice
You are absolutely right. However, it's still much too early to be making any forecasts with either of these guys.

We really don't know what's been said to either guy. Perhaps the Avs told Elliott specifically that he needed to work 100% on his defensive game while they gave Barrie the 'green light' to go offensively as much as he wanted to?

Perhaps they've identified that they want to keep Elliott long-term and use Barrie as a bargaining chip down the line to improve the big club? I'm not saying it's the right move to make but I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually the case. Whether it's one or the other, I don't see the Avs carrying both of these guys on their main roster long-term.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
His 3 hits in 39 games surely shows he has a lot of heart.
That Lidstrom guy or that guy from Burnaby were pretty heartless as well if we use hits to measure heart.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Drizzt1

Elliott reminds me of Jordan Leopold.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:38 AM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
That Lidstrom guy or that guy from Burnaby were pretty heartless as well if we use hits to measure heart.
Ah, except I'm sure Lidstrom hits more than Elliot. I'm sure all of us have seen most of Sakic's games, and that guy can definitely hit.

Course Sakic and Lidstrom lead their team to good examples, and they were great leaders. Elliot is just lazy in the defense zone. Doesn't use his body that much, either. He's not THAT small. I know he's only like 21 but I'm just saying what it is now, and he's gonna have to improve that. In the end, that to me, isn't heart.

HockeyFan100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

The problem with Elliott isn't if he hits or not. It's if he can contain players and prevent them from walking in front of our goalie. Lidström excelled at that due to positioning and stickwork.

You don't need to crush guys to play defense, but you need to be able to contain them.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:45 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Ummmm, why do we have to choose? Why can't both become good defensemen? Elliott has shown in the NHL that he has some serious talent and needs time to season it while Barrie has made outstanding progress in all areas of the game, showing he has narrowed that gap to Stefan.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
The problem with Elliott isn't if he hits or not. It's if he can contain players and prevent them from walking in front of our goalie. Lidström excelled at that due to positioning and stickwork.

You don't need to crush guys to play defense, but you need to be able to contain them.
Agreed wholeheartedly and considering what I saw from Stef over the years IMHO he can become a reliable player in his own end.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
Ah, except I'm sure Lidstrom hits more than Elliot. I'm sure all of us have seen most of Sakic's games, and that guy can definitely hit.

Course Sakic and Lidstrom lead their team to good examples, and they were great leaders. Elliot is just lazy in the defense zone. Doesn't use his body that much, either. He's not THAT small. I know he's only like 21 but I'm just saying what it is now, and he's gonna have to improve that. In the end, that to me, isn't heart.
LOL, Just because Lidstrom hits more doesn't mean his defense was better because of it. It was one of the best of the league because of his IQ, sense, and anticipation. Nothing about the physical game. Also bro Elliott is not "lazy" in the defensive zone . He needs to mature his body, get experience in the pro game, adjust his timing on plays, and get used to tougher players and outsmart them, are all ways he will improve his defensive zone play. It has nothing to do about laziness or becoming a physical pronger type player.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote