HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr; What happens next to them?

Old
11-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
My guess is that Bettman is gone in a year or less. He is the face of fan hatred, and that is by design. The owners could use it to show that they empathize with fans. "thank you fans" is not gonna cut it this time.

Something like him announcing his retirement and a transition period should not be unexpected. Fehr was retired before this so I would expect that this is one last battle for him before he goes on to enjoying retirement again.

Realistically, both could be gone within 18 months of this being settled.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:56 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Not to break your heart but Bud Selig is 75 and he hasn't retired yet, although he may in a year or two.

I almost think the owners need to throw Bettman overboard when this is over as a good-faith gesture to the fans (and the PA) who can't stand him with all the anger over this lockout, but they probably won't do that for obvious selfish reasons.
Well you know how MLB is... Seriously, most of the GM's of that league must be in their 80s. Same with the coaches.

Ed - Not sure if that's still case but it's been a long time since ive really looked into the MLB

HockeyFan100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:01 PM
CerebralGenesis

Isn't Fehr retired but came out for this? I don't see why he'd stay here when the yachts can stall out instead of the negotiating committees.

I dunno about Bettman, the fans have already hated him so I don't see much change there and he's reporting back to several owners who probably have the pull around the inner circle anyway. He'll be done when he wants to be done.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

He already should have resigned a long time ago if you ask me.

However, the owners dont give a **** if he completely ignores many of the actual responsibilities his job entails.

Its a lousy situation.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:27 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I say throw em both on a deserted island by themselves where they can argue who is right. I have no use for either guy right now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:38 AM
Ernie

Fehr's plan all along has been to guide the players through the CBA expiry and then set up an orderly succession.

I don't know how long Bettman can hang on. The scattered boos around the league will be full on "Fire Bettman" chants in almost every market. I don't know how you can have the most hated man in hockey as the commissioner.

I doubt he's fired immediately though. That would present a loss of face, like the NHL did something wrong. Nope.. he'll quietly retire when his contract is up.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:44 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Fehr's plan all along has been to guide the players through the CBA expiry and then set up an orderly succession.

I don't know how long Bettman can hang on. The scattered boos around the league will be full on "Fire Bettman" chants in almost every market. I don't know how you can have the most hated man in hockey as the commissioner.

I doubt he's fired immediately though. That would present a loss of face, like the NHL did something wrong. Nope.. he'll quietly retire when his contract is up.

Bettman has been booed and hated in every NHL arena for over 20 years. Nothing new.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:38 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Bettman has 3 or 4 more years left on his contract?

He isn't old by any means.. Selig is late 70s and still going.

I could see Bettman being commish for at least another 10 years.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Blue Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Fehr will move onto the NBA next and ruin that sport.
I'm late to the party, but you can't ruin a sport thats already ruined.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I see both of them as natural fits for joining Middle East peace negotiations.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:28 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Regime View Post
I'm late to the party, but you can't ruin a sport thats already ruined.
Woo, even more ruined. Bettman can go back to being NBA commish whenever Stern retires too.

HockeyFan100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Bettman has 3 or 4 more years left on his contract?

He isn't old by any means.. Selig is late 70s and still going.

I could see Bettman being commish for at least another 10 years.
As long as the owners are pleased with his work, he's not going anywhere. It's only the really ignorant, uneducated fans that keep booing him (though I think that's mostly a habit these days) and this it's all his fault.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
As long as the owners are pleased with his work, he's not going anywhere.
True, but I'd imagine that the owners are starting to wonder if there's someone out there who can make them boatloads of money the way Bettman has, but can also negotiate a CBA without losing fistfuls of games.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Noldo

Considering the hatred some players have shown towards Bettman, I think that owners would be well served by arranging that Gary retires before the end of the CBA (assuming that parties are able to agree on one some point in the future). Even though Gary has been marvellous agent for the owners and managed to achieve much for them, I would assume that many owners do realise that he has become such a atagonazing figure that more constructive approach to labour issues (something that League IMHO should be looking at in the future) will require diffent type at the helm. Gary has done his job well, but it might be time for Gary to go.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Considering the hatred some players have shown towards Bettman, I think that owners would be well served by arranging that Gary retires before the end of the CBA (assuming that parties are able to agree on one some point in the future). Even though Gary has been marvellous agent for the owners and managed to achieve much for them, I would assume that many owners do realise that he has become such a atagonazing figure that more constructive approach to labour issues (something that League IMHO should be looking at in the future) will require diffent type at the helm. Gary has done his job well, but it might be time for Gary to go.
Do you really think the owners don't realize how much Bettman has taken the flak for them? It has been convenient for everyone . The players don't have the guts to attack their actual owners(to quote Don Cherry) and the venom is all released against Bettman.

I would be sorry to see him leave because he has fought for the small and medium market teams in my opinio and he has had to negotiate with an aggressive and dysfunctional PA filled with hardliners of the Fehr/ Goodenow ilk.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Rinzler

I think once this is all settled, Bettman and Fehr are going to step down in their respective roles.

Fehr is a given anyway but I think Bettman has had enough. I think he'll do a smooth transition in the next couple of years to his successor and retire.

Neither of them will get fired, both are the best in the biz for what they do.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:55 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
They will both be out of the game when it is time for the next lockout, sorry, I mean CBA negotiation.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:17 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
After the lockout they should be partners in an episode of Mantracker. Wouldn't THAT be fun to watch. My guess is they get caught in 5 seconds after bickering about which way to go, but maybe they'd emerge best of friends?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:04 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
True, but I'd imagine that the owners are starting to wonder if there's someone out there who can make them boatloads of money the way Bettman has, but can also negotiate a CBA without losing fistfuls of games.
in some cases, losing games isn't that big a deal. Bettman will be let go (retire) when the owners state he is no longer effective at his primary task....making them money. Fact is, franchise values have never been higher & league revenues have never been higher. That is why Bettman is in no danger of losing his job.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Do you really think the owners don't realize how much Bettman has taken the flak for them? It has been convenient for everyone . The players don't have the guts to attack their actual owners(to quote Don Cherry) and the venom is all released against Bettman.

I would be sorry to see him leave because he has fought for the small and medium market teams in my opinio and he has had to negotiate with an aggressive and dysfunctional PA filled with hardliners of the Fehr/ Goodenow ilk.
Bettman will go down as one of the best commissioners/league presidents in NHL history. Message board hatred is not a performance indicator the BoG considers when judging Bettman. The fact is, he has raised league revenues, put the game in new markets & expanded the product base. The league signed a modest (by other pro sports leagues) but record TV deal, the Winter Classic has become an annual tradition (except this year) & franchise valuations have increased dramatically under his watch.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Fehr will move onto the NBA next and ruin that sport.
David Stern already did that, and he's grooming Adam Silver for the future.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:01 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
I don't believe for a second that all 29 owners legitimately would not want to play the year under the current CBA;
Do you really think the Canucks which are highly profitable and consider themselves contenders wouldn't be playing under the previous CBA if they could?
or the Jets which made a huge investment a year ago and got a huge chunk back and would have got another huge chunk if they were still playing?
or Los Angeles, also profitable but not able to reap the defending champ benefits?
and of course NYR, TOR, PHI

but of course they have to present themselves as united; presenting the vote as 19-10 would show some cracks of weakness.

One person brought this up but 'thank you fans' is not enough to cut it this time and what on ice changes can they make that would have the same positive impact as the PR moves the last time around ala the new rule emphasis and shootouts (which it seems more fans have converted from pro-shootout to anti-shootout since it being brought in than the other way around). Fans are also angrier now; last time around the defense was that they fought for big issues such as parity and cost certainty. They got it; no defense this time around, this time it is about greed ala dollars and cents plain and simple.

The owners know Bettman is universally despised; he gets booed relentlessly at every appearance. Basketball is also bettmans bread and butter and it's quite likely he'd take Sterns job if possible. So having Bettman leave would immediately be a pretty big olive branch to the fans. Whether you're pro bettman or anti Bettman, the time is likely now (or soon); he's likely willing to go especially if the NBA door is open for him. He can sit tight for a year or two in that case, the owners can put in their own PR spin however they like and they'd be making quite a few fans happy. If the owners do go around Bettman to get a deal done similar to 1995 he may want to resign anyhow.

As for Fehr, i'm sure he's hated too by a lot of fans but at least some fans like him (if they see Bettman as the villain, Fehr is the villain to the villain). Also the head of the NHLPA doesn't have a huge impact to the on ice product on a macro level until CBA's run out (other than that it's a micro impact for individual players). The majority of hockey fans probably had no clue who Bob Goodenow was in 2003 so him leaving wasn't a big boost for fans.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:16 AM
bbud

Bettmans leadership has resulted in 3 work stoppages one lost playoffs lies to fans that the last lockout and CBA fixed all more lies about Phoenix add at least 3 owners who are convicted fraudsters put in under his watch , Fehr dosnt come close to the gong show that is G Bettman and i hope its the end for him sooner is better NHL may recover if hes gone if not it will be fighting for sports page coverage behind high school sports and buried .

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:21 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/711279964/

Quote:
The reason there’s no agreement yet is that Gary Bettman has made promises he can’t keep. And if he doesn’t keep them and loses half an NHL season — or more — in the process, he will be out of a job that pays him $8 million a year.
Bettman promised seven or eight owners that he could get another lopsided deal. If he doesn’t get it after losing a billion dollars in league revenue, he’s probably out of a job.

So Bettman is holding up the game to save himself, and one imagines he’s still convincing a small group of men that he can squeeze more from the players. That small group of owners, in turn, is keeping the arenas silent.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
get booed
get booted

massive egos

i really hope the fans boycott the games and really stick it to both parties.

5% growth model, my ass. a looming debt crisis will certainly cripple those projections.

id be stocked if they got back up to 3.3 billion + cpi anytime in the near future

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote