Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 11:36 AM
chewerjones

vCash: 500
Well its the Marlies against Compuware. Marlies have proved me wrong this week. They have been overachieving. They have received alot of good play from supporting cast such as the Webb brothers, Robinson, not just Strome and Stephens.

I cant believe that London got smashed by Marlies.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:39 PM
mapleleaf979

The biggest factor for the Marlies today is Mitchell Stephens. If he brings his A game, that is when the Marlies are very dangerous. When he doesnt they are a night and day difference. They seem to feed off his energy.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:02 PM
mapleleaf979

Marlies leading 5-1 late in the third against Compuware. The Marlies have man-handled some of these other top clubs. The expectations for this team now are going to be high for the rest of the season after a somewhat underachieving beginning.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:15 PM
chewerjones

Wow, what a transformation from a couple of weeks ago, when I saw them play the Rebels. They looked like a Double A tema 2 weeks ago, and this team they look like last year's Marlies. I guess they came together at the right time.

I wonder if they are going to carry this momentum in the loop, and if so, then they should be able to wing the league series and playoffs? All the other teams in the G are weak, and Jr Cdns without the Russian, is night and day.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Strome wins MVP. Big game for him today, reminds me of Dal Colle. Something special with the Strome brothers this weekend. His older bro in the OHL got 4 assists in the last 5 mins of the third last night.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:05 PM
puckaddict17

Did anyone watch the rebels oakville quarter finals? Missed that game and wanted to know how they matched up? Good D vs O teams. Any suprises? Thanks guys

Old
11-25-2012, 06:47 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckaddict17 View Post
Did anyone watch the rebels oakville quarter finals? Missed that game and wanted to know how they matched up? Good D vs O teams. Any suprises? Thanks guys
2 words: Brendan Mcglynn. Incredible goaltending performance in that game. Keep your eye on him moving forward.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Garyboy

Congratulations to the Marlies on their Silver Stick Championship. It was 3-0 4 minutes in and Compuware just couldn't recover. The Marlies really put it all together when they needed to, and looked like the powerhouse Marlie Minor Midget teams from the past few years. Hopefully they can continue this level of play.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Best skater I have seen in years. He does it so effortlessley. Has size, and good hands. Only knock on him, is that he does hold on to puck too long, and in Hamilton game , he gave away puck too many times. It seems like he may be too cocky out there, and may need to be grounded a bit. If he can control his ego, he will almost definitely get Exceptional Status, given his size and talent.
He really is a fascinating player to watch. I have never seen such an elite level talent play such a nonchalant style of hockey.

Even in today's final he looked like he was going through the motions. There were a couple of times when he'd make a nice outlet pass, break up ice to join the rush, and none of his teammates could keep up with his pace. He shoots, skates, and passes like an NHL'er, yet plays as if he couldn't care less a lot of the time.

Will be very interesting to see where he ends up playing next season. I don't think he'll apply or get exceptional status, and if he doesn't, hopefully he's in the USHL next year. Even though he's playing up a year this season, he plays as if he's bored with the speed of the game. He may be a guy that really needs to be challenged to bring out the best in him. At least I hope so, as his skill set is unbelievable.

Last edited by Garyboy: 11-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Garyboy

Unfortunately Korostelev wasn't playing for the Jr. Canadians throughout the tournament. How does he compare to Konecny? I have heard a few say he'd be the top pick in the draft if he were eligible, which is quite impressive considering how great Konecny looks. Thanks for the input.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Sprong is not a Canadian citizen, so he didn’t meet citizenship requirements to play midget AAA. Sprong plays Lac St.Louis Midget: Espoirs Tigers. He leads the Quebec Midget circuit in points right now. I think he is going to the QMJHL next year.
That can't be right, as he was in the All-Canadian game in July. Wasn't he born in Quebec? I'm guessing he decided to stay in Quebec and play Midget hockey, rather than come to Ontario to play Minor Midget.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:40 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
That can't be right, as he was in the All-Canadian game in July. Wasn't he born in Quebec? I'm guessing he decided to stay in Quebec and play Midget hockey, rather than come to Ontario to play Minor Midget.
http://westislandgazette.com/sports/...raft-prospect/

"Sprong resurfaced during the summer as an All-State all-Canadian, a mentorship program for the top bantam-age players in the country. But, Drolet said, Sprong is not a Canadian citizen, so he didn’t meet citizenship requirements to play midget AAA."

Old
11-25-2012, 11:09 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Day is amazing. The OHL will be handing out exceptional status for the third straight season. Effortless skating style reminds me of Niedermayer. Also liked #s 5 and 8 while watching Compuware. Enjoyed watching Oakville play, their blueline is fantastic (66 and 4) and they have some solid forwards and a great goalie. I also liked YSE captain #10, a very steady dman.

Didn't see much 97 hockey as I was mostly watching younger ages. There is definitely some great talent on the way.

Last edited by heusy_79: 11-26-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old
11-25-2012, 11:39 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
He's not a Canadian citizen, only a permanent resident.
He was born in the Netherlands and moved to Île Bizard, Québec in 2005.

If he had played for Oakville, I doubt it would have changed his eligibility.
Even if his family had come with him, they probably would not have allowed him to be eligible for the OHL Draft, as that'd set a precedent that would allow kids to select their region of play.
If they had moved to Ontario a few years before the draft, like Taylor Hall for example, it might be a different story, but moving to play for a prep program or in a better league in your draft year won't change your eligibility.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:22 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Day is amazing. The OHL will be handing out exceptional status for the third straight season. Effortless skating style reminds me of Niedermayer. Also liked #s 5 and 8 while watching Compuware. Enjoyed watching Oakville play, their blueline is fantastic (66 and 4) and they have some solid forwards and a great goalie. I also liked YSE captain #10, a very steady dman.

Didn't see much 97 hockey as I was asked to focus on younger ages. There is definitely some great talent on the way.
Do u know if he is applying for sure? I get the feeling that he will apply. I have no idea how anyone could tell him he isnt ready. He is by far the best defenseman Ive seen this year, not even close. The ice this guy covers is unreal. Im amazed with this kids top end speed and how after a couple cross overs he is skating away from guys. It didnt even look like he was going all out too, it appeared he was slowing down half the time so he wasnt isolated on his own. He clearly has hands as well with his stickhandling skills. He has a nasty physical side to his game too. He also impressed me with his Defensive game. He skates just as fast backwards and uses his edges extremely well to change angles to reflect the opposing forward. His stick always out poke checking while doing this. Looked like a guy from a tier above joined the game to play. He has above average size for a 97 nevermind a 98. Mentally he looks like he is 3 steps ahead, constantly predicting what will happen. This kid is so complete is going to be scary how good this kid is going to be. This looks like a sure fire NHL star. Its a real treat watching guys like that. I honestly believe he would fit into the OHL right this second. At times he made me feel like he was bored with how easy everything is for him.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:00 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Do u know if he is applying for sure? I get the feeling that he will apply. I have no idea how anyone could tell him he isnt ready. He is by far the best defenseman Ive seen this year, not even close. The ice this guy covers is unreal. Im amazed with this kids top end speed and how after a couple cross overs he is skating away from guys. It didnt even look like he was going all out too, it appeared he was slowing down half the time so he wasnt isolated on his own. He clearly has hands as well with his stickhandling skills. He has a nasty physical side to his game too. He also impressed me with his Defensive game. He skates just as fast backwards and uses his edges extremely well to change angles to reflect the opposing forward. His stick always out poke checking while doing this. Looked like a guy from a tier above joined the game to play. He has above average size for a 97 nevermind a 98. Mentally he looks like he is 3 steps ahead, constantly predicting what will happen. This kid is so complete is going to be scary how good this kid is going to be. This looks like a sure fire NHL star. Its a real treat watching guys like that. I honestly believe he would fit into the OHL right this second. At times he made me feel like he was bored with how easy everything is for him.
Have never heard anything about the kid's intentions, just making a bold prediction. I also am convinced that he could have handled the OHL quite well this season. I don't think anyone in the rink this weekend would disagree with your assessment of his skating.

Got to see a few minutes of Elgin-Compuware. If Day doesn't get ES, Konecny appears to be a pretty darn good consolation prize. Big time offensive potential and another great skater.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:44 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Have never heard anything about the kid's intentions, just making a bold prediction. I also am convinced that he could have handled the OHL quite well this season. I don't think anyone in the rink this weekend would disagree with your assessment of his skating.

Got to see a few minutes of Elgin-Compuware. If Day doesn't get ES, Konecny appears to be a pretty darn good consolation prize. Big time offensive potential and another great skater.
I had never seen Sean Day play before in my life. When he got the puck on his stick and made his first rush, I was stunned. I kept watching and couldnt believe my eyes. I could have got up and left after him touching the puck twice and knew how unreal he was. I still cant believe it. When i was watching Compuware it was one game, when Day got the puck all of a sudden it was a different game, a different league. I honestly am convinced Sean Day with a few mental adjustments could play on any OHL team starting tomorrow and flourish. Id even suggest he could replace every 96 born Dmen from last years draft including Mckeown and u wouldnt be disappointed.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:02 AM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:
I had never seen Sean Day play before in my life. When he got the puck on his stick and made his first rush, I was stunned. I kept watching and couldnt believe my eyes. I could have got up and left after him touching the puck twice and knew how unreal he was. I still cant believe it. When i was watching Compuware it was one game, when Day got the puck all of a sudden it was a different game, a different league. I honestly am convinced Sean Day with a few mental adjustments could play on any OHL team starting tomorrow and flourish. Id even suggest he could replace every 96 born Dmen from last years draft including Mckeown and u wouldnt be disappointed.
He has all the tools to be a stud that's for sure. The only grey area with this situation is the fact the Exceptional Status is a Hockey Canada rule and he doesn't fall under Hockey Canada. Hockey USA and Hockey Canada will have to come to an agreement. What Day also has in his favor is the fact he is a Canadian born kid playing in the States.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:40 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
This was my first time watching him as well, the first time I saw him take off on the rush my jaw hit the floor. This package doesn't come along too often. For those who like player comparisons, this guy reminds me of Cam Fowler with the puck, and a meaner Jay Boumeester without it.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
ScoutReel65

Big loss to LJK gold with Trent Fox messing up his Knee and Graham Brulotte breaking his wrist. Both injuries happened against Marlies semi final game at silver stick.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
mapleleaf979

Compuware has a few other guys I liked:

#2 Grant Gabriele (D) shoots right: I really like this Dman. He is also a very silky smooth excellent skater with excellent mobility in all directions. He likes to pinch and is excellent at puck rushing from his own end to the other. Excellent top speed. Solid in his own end. He also has good size . Often paired with Day. A boatload of potential.

#8 Brent Jr Gates (f) shoots left- Plays a complete game, supports in the D zone. Dangerous in the offensive zone. Great skater, Works hard, good puck skills and reads plays well. Looks similar to B.Warren, plays well on the top line with Warren.

#9 Gordie Green(f) shoots right- smaller player 5-7 140. Highly skilled, fast skater,shifty, makes things happen. Reminds me of Mitch Marner in many ways.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Well its the Marlies against Compuware. Marlies have proved me wrong this week. They have been overachieving. They have received alot of good play from supporting cast such as the Webb brothers, Robinson, not just Strome and Stephens.

I cant believe that London got smashed by Marlies.
I don't think they were overachieving, I think they just played to their potential. I think they have been underachieving till now. The Webbs are certainly tenacious, and Robinson has a lot of great tools, looks like he can take his game to the next level. I also really like Fregona, great skill and vision.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:16 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Compuware has a few other guys I liked:

#2 Grant Gabriele (D) shoots right: I really like this Dman. He is also a very silky smooth excellent skater with excellent mobility in all directions. He likes to pinch and is excellent at puck rushing from his own end to the other. Excellent top speed. Solid in his own end. He also has good size . Often paired with Day. A boatload of potential.

#8 Brent Jr Gates (f) shoots left- Plays a complete game, supports in the D zone. Dangerous in the offensive zone. Great skater, Works hard, good puck skills and reads plays well. Looks similar to B.Warren, plays well on the top line with Warren.

#9 Gordie Green(f) shoots right- smaller player 5-7 140. Highly skilled, fast skater,shifty, makes things happen. Reminds me of Mitch Marner in many ways.
Agree with you on 8, I think he'll be a pretty good two-way player at the next level. I preferred #5 on the point, very strong, steady d-man who had some snarl to his game.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:20 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan32 View Post
He has all the tools to be a stud that's for sure. The only grey area with this situation is the fact the Exceptional Status is a Hockey Canada rule and he doesn't fall under Hockey Canada. Hockey USA and Hockey Canada will have to come to an agreement. What Day also has in his favor is the fact he is a Canadian born kid playing in the States.
So what is he, American or Canadian?

Edit: Did a little detective work on Google and eventually found this:
Quote:
SeanDay66 Well I'm Canadian so i don't care about the politics. #DontHaveASayInIt
http://twitter.com/SeanDay66/status/266011655811506176

Last edited by jfb392: 11-26-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
scout97

If S.day doesent get Exceptional status who would be the #1 forward avaible. Konecny, korostelev,or stephans?. how does day compare to mcdavid and ekblad. Is he a better prospect then both of them ?
And is zach werenski planning for.the OHL.He should be a top 3 pick

Closed Thread