HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
  #951
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
My picks (bold are different than bsmith14's list):

Forwards (20):

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Oklahoma, AHL)
Jonathon Huberdeau (St. Johns, QMJHL)
Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax, QMJHL)
Jonathon Drouin (Halifax, QMJHL)
Adam Lowry (Swift Current, WHL) (Replaces Bussieres)
Philipe Danault (Victoriaville, QMJHL)
Charles Hudon (Chicoutmi, QMJHL)
Mark Scheifele (Barrie, OHL)
Ryan Strome (Niagara, OHL)
Boone Jenner (Oshawa, OHL)
Brett Ritchie (Niagara, OHL)
Seth Griffith (London, OHL)
Sean Monahan (Ottawa, OHL)
Lucas Lessio (Oshawa, OHL)
Tom Wilson (Plymouth, OHL)
Matt Puempel (Kitchener, OHL)
Ty Rattie (Portland, WHL)
Hunter Shinkaruk (Medicine Hat, WHL)
Tyler Graovac (Ottawa, OHL) (Replaces Sutter)
Brendan Leipsic (Portland, WHL) (Replaces McNeill)


Defence (12):

Xavier Ouellet (Blainville-Broisbriand, QMJHL)
Ryan Sproul (Soo, OHL) (Replaces Ceci)
Stuart Percy (Mississauga, OHL) (Replaces Pelech)
Scott Harrington (London, OHL)
Frank Corrado (Sudbury, OHL) (Replaces Koekkoek)
Ryan Murphy (Kitchener, OHL)
Dougie Hamilton (Niagara, OHL)
Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton, WHL)
Morgan Rielly (Moose Jaw, WHL)
Matthew Dumba (Red Deer, WHL)
Derrick Pouliot (Portland, WHL)
Ryan Pulock (Brandon, WHL)

Goalies (4):

Etienne Marcoux (Blainville-Boisbriand, QMJHL) (Replaces Fucale)
Malcolm Subban (Belleville, OHL)
Jordan Binnington (Owen Sound, OHL)
Laurent Brossoit (Edmonton, WHL)
Yeah, I'd say Percy and Corrado are better bets for invites than Koekkoek and Pelech. At least Percy is since he plays a similar type of game to Murray except not as elite. I'd still say Ceci gets the call though.

I'd agree with the forwards but not too sure about the goalies. Don't know much about Fucale or Marcoux so I can't say.

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
  #952
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 500
I must of missed soemething, but why isn't Couturier on anybody's team? Is he too old already?

Maxpac is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
  #953
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I must of missed soemething, but why isn't Couturier on anybody's team? Is he too old already?
Too old.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 12:35 PM
  #954
TS Quint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
I was real impressed with Lowry in the Subway series. I never concidered him before. He is built for a bottom six roll.


Last edited by TS Quint: 11-26-2012 at 12:42 PM.
TS Quint is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
  #955
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I was real impressed with Lowry in the Subway series. I never concidered him before. He is built for a bottom six roll.
I don't think many had a guy like Curtis Hamilton or Foligno penciled in two years ago so there is always surprises. Role players are always up for grabs depending on how camp goes it seems and they can elevate themselves in the lineup through camp/preseason/early game play.

puckfan13 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM
  #956
Vikingstad
**** the King
 
Vikingstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I don't think many had a guy like Curtis Hamilton or Foligno penciled in two years ago so there is always surprises. Role players are always up for grabs depending on how camp goes it seems and they can elevate themselves in the lineup through camp/preseason/early game play.
I think hes a Brouwer type. Built and best fit for the 3rd line, but can slot in the top6 to compliment.

Vikingstad is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:11 PM
  #957
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
StephRDSJunior Xavier Ouellet #Armada absent au moins une semaine, prime abord ca ne semble pas trop serieux #ECJ2013 blesse une cheville
http://twitter.com/StephRDSJunior/st...34181050105856

Ouellet's injury doesn't look serious.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:35 PM
  #958
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Hmm I forgot Lowry and Percy. I think I would include them into my list as well. I do not know enough about Corrado (other than he is putting up a lot of points).

Hows Di Giuseppe's season going? HC has invited him to two summer camps I believe. Hard to think Ceci wouldnt get an invite though, he has been at two consecutive summer camps as well.

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 01:59 PM
  #959
clarkebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBoy8 View Post
Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-Mackinnon-Strome
Monahan-Schiefele-Ritchie
Danault-Jenner-Wilson
X-Hudon,Mcneill

Rielly-Hamilton
Ouellet-Harrington
Reinhart-Murphy
X-Dumba

Subban
Binnington/Brossoit
nice looking team.
Sproul on defence is starting to get some ink.
The team has eight underage players on it. It just doesn't seem like HC would go for that. I am wondering which team thru the years has the most underage players.

clarkebr is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
  #960
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post

Defence (12):

Xavier Ouellet (Blainville-Broisbriand, QMJHL)
Ryan Sproul (Soo, OHL) (Replaces Ceci)
Stuart Percy (Mississauga, OHL) (Replaces Pelech)
Scott Harrington (London, OHL)
Frank Corrado (Sudbury, OHL) (Replaces Koekkoek)
Ryan Murphy (Kitchener, OHL)
Dougie Hamilton (Niagara, OHL)
Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton, WHL)
Morgan Rielly (Moose Jaw, WHL)
Matthew Dumba (Red Deer, WHL)
Derrick Pouliot (Portland, WHL)
Ryan Pulock (Brandon, WHL)
You're leaving off from tryout camp a 19 year old PPG Dman who almost made the team last year? Whether it's justified or not, it's just not how it ever works.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
  #961
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
nice looking team.
Sproul on defence is starting to get some ink.
The team has eight underage players on it. It just doesn't seem like HC would go for that. I am wondering which team thru the years has the most underage players.
What defines an underager? Because I see three (undrafted guys?)

RJQuack is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
  #962
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 500
I'm a Wings fan but I don't think Sproul makes it. He could have had better chance if he hadn't broke he's arm. But Team Canada has enough puck movers already and if they are needing one, Dumba or Murphy would probably be better option; more international experience.

There's a reason why Mike Green didn't make '10 Olympic team and Green 2.0 doesn't make this team .

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
  #963
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I'm a Wings fan but I don't think Sproul makes it. He could have had better chance if he hadn't broke he's arm. But Team Canada has enough puck movers already and if they are needing one, Dumba or Murphy would probably be better option; more international experience.

There's a reason why Mike Green didn't make '10 Olympic team and Green 2.0 doesn't make this team .
That last part, I think Murphy will probably make it lol...

But yeah I think Sproul gets a look in camp if he keeps up this tear hes been on and if hes dominant at camp has an outside chance at making the last dman spot but I dont think its likely.

The idea of a 6'4, somewhat physical dman thats producing like Sproul not making the team is ridiculous but thats what happens in a lockout year for Canada

newfy is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 04:45 PM
  #964
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,500
vCash: 500
I'm not just saying this because I'm an Oilers fan, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Ewanyk makes it. Obviously if he does make it, he will make it over better players, but Team Canada always likes to have some players that can fill certain roles: faceoff guys, grinder and PK guys, he would fit that perfectly. I think it would be advantageous to take a player like him, for need, rather than someone else for skill, especially in a short tournament.

Mr Forever is online now  
Old
11-26-2012, 05:36 PM
  #965
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm not just saying this because I'm an Oilers fan, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Ewanyk makes it. Obviously if he does make it, he will make it over better players, but Team Canada always likes to have some players that can fill certain roles: faceoff guys, grinder and PK guys, he would fit that perfectly. I think it would be advantageous to take a player like him, for need, rather than someone else for skill, especially in a short tournament.
Ewanyk will get a look but theres guys like Jenner, Hudon and a couple other guys who are probably more suited to that role for the PK and defensive play and if they want a bruiser I think Wilson is the likely bet

newfy is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 06:04 PM
  #966
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I was real impressed with Lowry in the Subway series. I never concidered him before. He is built for a bottom six roll.
Lowry is too poor of a skater IMO to even get a camp invite.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
11-26-2012, 06:12 PM
  #967
clarkebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
What defines an underager? Because I see three (undrafted guys?)
what i mean is anyone with a 94 or 95 birthyear. Because they have a chance to make it over a 93.
I am just a tad suspicious about those things with HC and probably for no reason.

clarkebr is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 07:50 PM
  #968
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
what i mean is anyone with a 94 or 95 birthyear. Because they have a chance to make it over a 93.
I am just a tad suspicious about those things with HC and probably for no reason.
I'm sure it happens all the time, especially considering how guys like RNH and Hamilton and potentially Scheifele, Strome, and Huberdeau would all be in the NHL if this were a normal year. Most of the team would be '94 born players.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
  #969
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You're leaving off from tryout camp a 19 year old PPG Dman who almost made the team last year? Whether it's justified or not, it's just not how it ever works.
I was iffy with Ceci (Im assuming that's who youre referring to), but he hasn't played well this year, which is part of the reason Ottawa is so bad, and he was quite terrible in the SSS

DKQ is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:15 PM
  #970
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,831
vCash: 500
I think Brendan Leipsic should get an invite too, he'll be a thorn in the sides of every team while still putting up points. Playing a role similar to what Gabriel Bourque did a few years ago.

40oz is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:38 PM
  #971
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I think Brendan Leipsic should get an invite too, he'll be a thorn in the sides of every team while still putting up points. Playing a role similar to what Gabriel Bourque did a few years ago.
If he keeps the penalty minutes down than yes, he has a good shot at making it. I remember Spott saying (in the Can/Rus challenge) the guys who take the most penalties are gonna weed themselves out of the equation very quickly (or something along those lines).

He was running people over like crazy in that challenge, which I wouldn't mind if he kept the hits legal, but penalties are a huge part of the tournament so we'll see if he can be disciplined.

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 07:35 AM
  #972
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I was iffy with Ceci (Im assuming that's who youre referring to), but he hasn't played well this year, which is part of the reason Ottawa is so bad, and he was quite terrible in the SSS
Well, I would say Ceci has been fairly "awesome" this year, and is one of the few reasons why Ottawa isn't an absolute shambles. The reason why Ottawa is so bad is essentially a complete lack of supporting cast beyond the Big 3 (Ceci, Monahan, Graovac). At the very least, I think one has to acknowledge that Ceci has been tremendous on the powerplay. Last I looked he had over 20 PP points, and the team has been over 30% all year. (And many times I've seen them score goals really quickly on the PP too, so I'd say that 30% is even more daunting if you looked at a PPG/PPmins stat).

You could question his defense, fair enough, which has not been a strong point of his game in the past, and he is currently not benefitting from much help from his team either.

But I think it still adds up to Ceci having played very well this year, overall.

That said, I don't know that he makes Team Canada... mostly because I just don't see a big need for the offense he brings. Hamilton and Rielly have that, Murphy if he's there, and even if you were going with a guy like Ouellet on a lower pair, he is bringing offense too. I'd say it's the guys who can be relied on for defensive play like Harrington and Pelech who should be in higher demand, which would complicate Ceci's chances of making it. You need guys who can skate on that bigger ice, and guys who can bring solid D more than you need another awesome PP weapon.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 10:23 AM
  #973
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Ok I am slacking hard at work so I am going to make a Team Canada A and a Team Canada B. Let me know what you think and how each team would do.

Assuming an NHL lockout:

Team "A"
Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie
Drouin - Scheifele - MacKinnon
Monahan - Strome - Ritchie
Danault - Jenner - Hudon
Leipsic

Rielly - Hamilton
Murphy - Reinhart
Harrington - Ouellet
Dumba

Subban
Brossoit

Team "B"
Puempel - Lipon - Smith
Shinkaruk - St. Croix - Griffith
Bussieres - Graovac - Lessio
Lowry - McNeill - Sutter
Reinhart

Ceci - Sproul
Pelech - Percy
Corrado - Pouliot
Pulock

Binnington
Marcoux

Team B is obviously weaker, but I still think they have a chance at a medal.


Last edited by bsmith14: 11-27-2012 at 10:30 AM.
bsmith14 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
  #974
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm not just saying this because I'm an Oilers fan, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Ewanyk makes it. Obviously if he does make it, he will make it over better players, but Team Canada always likes to have some players that can fill certain roles: faceoff guys, grinder and PK guys, he would fit that perfectly. I think it would be advantageous to take a player like him, for need, rather than someone else for skill, especially in a short tournament.
You probably are saying this because you're an Oiler fan, because if you weren't an Oiler fan you probably wouldn't care much for Ewanyk's chances.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
  #975
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I was iffy with Ceci (Im assuming that's who youre referring to), but he hasn't played well this year, which is part of the reason Ottawa is so bad, and he was quite terrible in the SSS
Ceci's poor play is the reason Ottawa's bad? Oh my lord.

Toffoli gone
Prince gone
Mrazek gone

All guys that have basically stepped into the AHL seemlessly in prominent roles.

Ottawa's bad because it's roster is terrible and it lost 90 goals from 2 players graduating last year. How bad the 67's are was expected regardless of how well or poor Monahan and Ceci play.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.