HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VII: The Last Waltz "Cut the sheet & drop the puck!"

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 02:07 PM
nevesis

vCash: 500
“@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHL and NHLPA have agreed to allow U.S. federal mediators to get involved in the labor dispute.”

Old
11-26-2012, 02:07 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
“@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Federal mediator now involved in NHL/NHLPA labor talks. More to come.”
Beat me to it.

This is potentially very good news. A mediator can counteract the mutual distrust that IMO is the primary reason that the two sides haven't been able to horse trade to some version of the final compromise that has been obvious to nearly everyone (regardless of sympathies) on this board for months now...

Old
11-26-2012, 02:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Update

Quote:
FMCS director George H. Cohen assigns Scot L. Beckenbaugh, John Sweeney and Guy Serota to serve as the mediators in CBA negotiations.
https://twitter.com/CraigCustance/st...55817363079168

3 mediators

Old
11-26-2012, 02:08 PM
nevesis

“@TSNBobMcKenzie: Deputy Director Scot L.
Beckenbaugh, Director of Mediation Services John Sweeney, and Commissioner Guy Serota to serve as the mediators.”

Old
11-26-2012, 02:10 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Cohen on NHL mediation: "With the agreement of both parties, the ongoing negotiations will now be conducted under our auspices."
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...56596278910979

Good luck to them dealing with Bettman.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:11 PM
nevesis

Press Release...

Quote:
Release Date: 11/26/2012

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service Director George H. Cohen issued the following statement today on the ongoing labor negotiations between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players’ Association:

“I have had separate, informal discussions with the key representatives of the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players’ Association during the course of their negotiations for a successor collective bargaining agreement. At the invitation of the FMCS, and with the agreement of both parties, the ongoing negotiations will now be conducted under our auspices. I have assigned Deputy Director Scot L. Beckenbaugh, Director of Mediation Services John Sweeney, and Commissioner Guy Serota to serve as the mediators.”

“Due to the extreme sensitivity of these negotiations and consistent with the FMCS’s long-standing practice, the Agency will refrain from any public comment concerning the future schedule and/or the status of the negotiations until further notice.”

Old
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service Director George H. Cohen issued the following statement today on the ongoing labor negotiations between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players’ Association:

“I have had separate, informal discussions with the key representatives of the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players’ Association during the course of their negotiations for a successor collective bargaining agreement. At the invitation of the FMCS, and with the agreement of both parties, the ongoing negotiations will now be conducted under our auspices. I have assigned Deputy Director Scot L. Beckenbaugh, Director of Mediation Services John Sweeney, and Commissioner Guy Serota to serve as the mediators.”

“Due to the extreme sensitivity of these negotiations and consistent with the FMCS’s long-standing practice, the Agency will refrain from any public comment concerning the future schedule and/or the status of the negotiations until further notice.”
http://www.fmcs.gov/internet/itemDet...9&itemID=23887

Old
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Cohen was the NBA mediator.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

So RB, do you think this is good news or bad news...or no news at all?

Old
11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I think its a good thing.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:20 PM
NYR Viper

Almost anything that changes the status quo is a good thing at this point...

Old
11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
It means that Bettman/Fehr won't be driving the discussion and agenda - what do you think?

This is the best news you could hope for.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:24 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Almost anything that changes the status quo is a good thing at this point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
It means that Bettman/Fehr won't be driving the discussion and agenda - what do you think?

This is the best news you could hope for.
Listen, I figured it was more positive than negative news. But after all the rumors and articles thus far in these "negotiations" you get to the point where you don't know the difference between good and bad news.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I don't see how it could be seen as a bad thing.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
The federal mediators are usually pretty effective. I've only been party to one negotiation that involved them, but I've been told by lifelong labor people that the FMCS is usually helpful at moving things forward. If nothing else it helps quell the vitriol that develops over drawn-out negotiations.

I wonder who requested mediation--the Players or the NHL?

It's just pain.
Old
11-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Listen, I figured it was more positive than negative news. But after all the rumors and articles thus far in these "negotiations" you get to the point where you don't know the difference between good and bad news.
Well, IMO, I think its been ridiculous how some people hang on every single tweet coming out of the negotiations, when 90% of the information is either questionable or just plain wrong.

This has the ability to be a game-changer - it changes the entire scope and feel of negotiations that have gone nowhere thus far. To put it simply, its actual news.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

https://twitter.com/cotsonika/status/273160494041415680

Quote:
Mediators will meet with each side separately and familiarize themselves with issues, then look for potential compromises.
Should be fun meetings.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:32 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The federal mediators are usually pretty effective. I've only been party to one negotiation that involved them, but I've been told by lifelong labor people that the FMCS is usually helpful at moving things forward. If nothing else it helps quell the vitriol that develops over drawn-out negotiations.

I wonder who requested mediation--the Players or the NHL?
Sounds like the PA was pushing for it and the NHL finally agreed.

11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

One of the mediators, Guy Serota, just deleted his twitter page after he was getting a lot of attention for tweeting at Sarah Silverman an awful lot.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:45 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well, IMO, I think its been ridiculous how some people hang on every single tweet coming out of the negotiations, when 90% of the information is either questionable or just plain wrong.

This has the ability to be a game-changer - it changes the entire scope and feel of negotiations that have gone nowhere thus far. To put it simply, its actual news.
Agreed. This has become casual reading for me. I read with hope but that is all, no use in getting excited by, like you said, questionable information.

I hope the mediators help as nyr2k2 pointed out.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Agreed. This has become casual reading for me. I read with hope but that is all, no use in getting excited by, like you said, questionable information.

I hope the mediators help as nyr2k2 pointed out.
Me too. At worst though, they can't hurt--as it stands we're headed for a lost season.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:52 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'm still pessimistic about there being a season. But this is good news and frankly overdue.

11-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I wonder if these marathon meetings will come to fruition:

Quote:
Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
Neither @NHL nor @NHLPA saying where meeting with mediator will take place. However, talks will be on Wednesday.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:08 PM
eco's bones

don't know if this is a good comparable. But working for the Postal Service for many years--most all of our contracts (after a protracted period of non effective talks/negotiations/proposals) would eventually be settled by a team of 3 arbitrators--one would be picked up USPS--one would be picked by whatever union and the third one would be one that both parties would agree on--basically he's the guy/gal that decides. Generally it meant a status quo of the previous contract or if the arbitrator gave something to one entity he/she would balance it by giving something to the other entity.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
don't know if this is a good comparable. But working for the Postal Service for many years--most all of our contracts (after a protracted period of non effective talks/negotiations/proposals) would eventually be settled by a team of 3 arbitrators--one would be picked up USPS--one would be picked by whatever union and the third one would be one that both parties would agree on--basically he's the guy/gal that decides. Generally it meant a status quo of the previous contract or if the arbitrator gave something to one entity he/she would balance it by giving something to the other entity.
You mean like... compromising? It's a wild idea, but it just might work!

RANGERS =
Closed Thread