HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Old
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
That if you're a top ten pick and not doing well, it's a problem.

Unless we're actually complementing the Wild for doing well with high picks, because we all know how hard that is.
Don't act as if all top 10 picks are automatic locks to become solid and proven NHL players. If that's what you think, you have a lot of learning to do.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:31 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
At least in my viewing of him this hasn't at all been true. That's the impression I got before I watched him though. From what I've seen he's quite responsible.
Actually I agree with you, this season he has been much more responsible, but his X-Factor (I like to call it that ) ability will follow him to the NHL. A lot like how PK Subban played as a rookie in juniors, as a veteran in juniors, a rookie in the NHL, and a veteran in the NHL.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Don't act as if all top 10 picks are automatic locks to become solid and proven NHL players. If that's what you think, you have a lot of learning to do.
Yeah, you don't have to go too far back into Wild draft history to see how hard it can be to draft in top 10. But then again, that's what he might've been referring to in the first place.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:

Unless we're actually complementing the Wild for doing well with high picks, because we all know how hard that is.
Well we have a bad track record with our high picks lol..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:06 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

are the rebels a worse team overall this year? say at the end of the year his stats have a major decline, hopefully its related to the team and not him

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Boom! You just got Renegaded with Style!

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 05:31 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Boom! You just got Renegaded with Style!
Lololol..

And to the OP,

Yes the Rebels aren't very strong.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:

Cam Barker would like a word with you. He's right there with James Sheppard, Tyler Cuma, Colton Gillies and Benoit Pouliot. A.J. Thelen was supposed to be here too, but we have no idea what happened to him.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Dumba makes high risk, high reward moves and plays that could win hockey games, but can lose them as well.
I've seen a lot of Matt Dumba, and all I'll say is that this guy ^^^ is correct. He has the tools to be a superstar, but his decision making is brutal at times. He needs to get smarter, which could well happen, but I don't know if he'll be the kind of player who can jump from the WHL right to the NHL. A year in the AHL would probably benefit him immensly.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:37 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He needs to get smarter, which could well happen, but I don't know if he'll be the kind of player who can jump from the WHL right to the NHL. A year in the AHL would probably benefit him immensly.
wild prob wont rush him either, we got brodin steppin up to the show in 2013. Brodin 2013, 'see ya later AHL'

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Cam Barker would like a word with you. He's right there with James Sheppard, Tyler Cuma, Colton Gillies and Benoit Pouliot. A.J. Thelen was supposed to be here too, but we have no idea what happened to him.
They actually went out and traded one of their few good first round picks for Cam Barker, just to keep the streak going.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

After reading the title thread, im officially rooting for him to be a bust.

edit:

Last edited by Jumbo*: 11-02-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

A preview for the upcoming Wild Prospect Handbook Issue 2.0, written by writers from Hockey Wilderness and First Round Bust. This preview article is a scouting report on Matt Dumba.

Link

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:01 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
A preview for the upcoming Wild Prospect Handbook Issue 2.0, written by writers from Hockey Wilderness and First Round Bust. This preview article is a scouting report on Matt Dumba.

Link

Interesting read. Thanks for posting that. He's one guy I'm really wanting to watch more than I've been able to as he's made quite a few mistakes offensively and got caught flat footed a lot the games I've managed to watch him

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Interesting read. Thanks for posting that. He's one guy I'm really wanting to watch more than I've been able to as he's made quite a few mistakes offensively and got caught flat footed a lot the games I've managed to watch him
He is a risky prospect...has so many impressive skills but needs to learn how to use them effectively...

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:44 PM
ponder

Every time I've seen him I come away with the same impression: very good skater, great shot, really like his energy level and physicality, but his hockey sense is mediocre at best. On offence he's prone to holding onto the puck when there are seemingly obvious, great passes available, he's a bit turnover prone, and defensively he seems to get caught out of position a bit too much. Smaller, somewhat poor man's Phaneuf IMO. Should mature into a top 4 dman for the Wild, but I don't see him being as good as he could be with his raw physical tools/skills.

Basically, I largely agree with this scouting report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post

Link

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Any other updates or reports on him?

He's been statistically underwhelming this year. The usual excuse is the team isn't that good, but his team has been winning games.

Is he playing more of a defensive style this year and helping the team win or is he slipping down the depth chart and getting less ice?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

here is what the few guys on the Leafs board had to say about him on his game against Moose Jaw on Saturday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Hate to say it, but Dumba's outplayed Rielly so far tonight. He looks great. Definitely more comfortable in Red Deer than he's appeared at any sort of international level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJayMann View Post
Just returned from the Red Deer game. Dumba had a good game tonight with a PP goal and a couple hits.

Warriors spent way more time in the Rebels end of the ice but weren't rewarded with goals. Rielly looked really good, he broke up quite a few plays, made a nice short handed rush, made a few rushes while MJ made line changes, and a couple nice outlet passes. His mobility, skating, and puck control really stand out.
As you can see from the comments, it looks like he is playing very well in all 3 zones.

I really like Dumba, I think he gets underrated around here quite a bit. He seems to receive the most flak from any top d-man drafted in the 2012 draft, like in the SSS, everyone had nothing but negative to say about him but I personally found him as one of the better d-man in the 1st game of SSS.

Aside from his size hockey IQ, Dumba has excellent skill-set and plays with a ton of energy and heart.

Last edited by Fearless Leaf*: 11-26-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

He's been statistically underwhelming this year. The usual excuse is the team isn't that good, but his team has been winning games.

Is he playing more of a defensive style this year and helping the team win or is he slipping down the depth chart and getting less ice?
Meh, I expect Brent Sutter to be heavily mentoring Dumba this season with the departure of Jesse Wallin. Brent had a similar d-man in Dion Phaneuf 10 years ago and molded him from unruly junior with a ton of raw skill into a valuable pro.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Im a fan of the style of game Dumba has made for himself.

Im concerned though that somtimes Dumba seems sort of.... Dumb? (no pun intended)

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Meh, I expect Brent Sutter to be heavily mentoring Dumba this season with the departure of Jesse Wallin. Brent had a similar d-man in Dion Phaneuf 10 years ago and molded him from unruly junior with a ton of raw skill into a valuable pro.
I think Sutter will really help Dumba's development.....Good news for the Wild because he's a prospect with tonnes of potential and needs to be brought along by an experienced hand.....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:01 PM
BigD66

Quote:

He's really trying to improve his defensive game and show that he can play well in all three zones. He isn't taking as many risks as he used to which is resulting in both less defensive gaffes and less offensive opportunities. He's still getting his though.

He definitely isn't slipping down the depth chart and is still Red Deer's go to D-man. As others have stated, Brent Sutter coaching now is definitely going to just help Dumba improve his play. He was really close to Wallin, but Sutter will likely be better for him in the long run.

BigD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wow, had no idea Sutter was coaching there. Excellent news and that would explain Dumba's changing style.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravi83Oil View Post
Im a fan of the style of game Dumba has made for himself.

Im concerned though that somtimes Dumba seems sort of.... Dumb? (no pun intended)
I wouldn't call it dumb, but more risky. He tries to force the play at times for a breakaway pass or an oddman rush. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Wow, had no idea Sutter was coaching there. Excellent news and that would explain Dumba's changing style.
Has been since November 14. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=645660

5-0 since Sutter took the helm.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote