HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lockout thread #2: mediation done - no progress

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 11:17 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
The Thanksgiving holiday in the states is much like our Christmas holiday. A lot of things get shut down for a little while. I believe some businesses are still closed today but either way they make it a huge celebration down there right from the Wednesday through the weekend.
i thought they needed a few extra days to recover from getting trampelled in a walmart on black friday?

Old
11-26-2012, 11:18 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Parity in the league is worth fighting for. Without it you can say goodbye to at least 6 franchises, nobody supports perennial losers in the US.
That's pretty much what needs to happen

Old
11-26-2012, 11:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Huh? IMO we have seen lots of parity since the last lockout. A couple of teams have been very good every year, a couple of teams have been very bad most years, but most teams have been up and down.

5 different President's Trophy winners in 7 years (Detroit and Vancouver 2 each), 7 different Cup winners, 12 of 14 different finalists (Detroit and Pittsburgh 2 each). Only 2 teams made the playoffs every year since the last lockout (Detroit and San Jose), and only 1 team (LOL - Toronto) never made the playoffs since the last lockout.

The last 7 years have seen parity like never before - and IMO it is one of the biggest reasons for the explosion in league revenues.
It's not sustainable though

Old
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Parity in the league is worth fighting for. Without it you can say goodbye to at least 6 franchises, nobody supports perennial losers in the US.
Nobody supports perennial losers anywhere. Our very own Oilers were playing to half empty buildings in the 90s (partly due to Pocklington, but a lot of it due to the hopelessness of it all - being a farm team for the rest of the league). The Canucks after missing the playoffs 4 straight seasons dropped to under 15,000 attendance. The Flames were down around 15,000 during their 7 year drought. Ottawa dipped the last few years. Hell, even Montreal wasn't selling out when they missed a few years in a row.

The only team that has proven to be able to sell out while putting out a crap product for an extended period of time is Toronto.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's not sustainable? The current framework and distribution of $? Perhaps - but to say it (parity) will never happen is kinda silly considering we have lived exactly that the last 7 years.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Parity and competitive balance is what makes a league sustainable. How boring would it be to see the same old team finish on top and win championship (see European soccer).

I'd much rather see a team win a championship due to excellent team management and shrewd trades/drafting rather than having all the money in the world and buy the top players (cough Real Madrid).

People here seem to forget that before 2004, the Oilers were owned by EIG and they didn't have the luxury to hold onto star players. We even lose Todd Marchant and Mike Comrie of all people because of our cash-strapped ownership group. The aftermath of the lockout was a blessing for the Oilers.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:41 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Good article on TSN regarding Decertification for anyone interested.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Nobody supports perennial losers anywhere. Our very own Oilers were playing to half empty buildings in the 90s (partly due to Pocklington, but a lot of it due to the hopelessness of it all - being a farm team for the rest of the league). The Canucks after missing the playoffs 4 straight seasons dropped to under 15,000 attendance. The Flames were down around 15,000 during their 7 year drought. Ottawa dipped the last few years. Hell, even Montreal wasn't selling out when they missed a few years in a row.

The only team that has proven to be able to sell out while putting out a crap product for an extended period of time is Toronto.
And don't forget the Canadian dollar was 60 cents US. Not many Canadians had the spending power back then to pay for NHL priced tickets. The Canadian economy was in the doldrums and the American economy was booming. It was a perfect storm that put Canadian teams in dissaray. Thankfully, the Oilers managed to stay in Canada.

IMO, bringing the salary cap can help protect the prospect of a possible devaluation of the Canadian dollar (if it happens). As much as I hate losing the 04-05 season, that lockout had a defined purpose to it, unlike this lockout.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Good article on TSN regarding Decertification for anyone interested.
Are player contracts not directly tied to a CBA? My question I guess is, what happens to all the contracts should the PA decertify? Because the contracts are not actual dollar amounts - they are basically a stake in the % of the players' share of HRR. So if there is no more cap or CBA, what would they get paid?

Old
11-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i thought they needed a few extra days to recover from getting trampelled in a walmart on black friday?
No man that's not the Wal-Mart way. When someone gets tramppled to death they just put up some pylons around the body and keep the shoppers coming in and out. No reason is a good reason to stop business for that company.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Are player contracts not directly tied to a CBA? My question I guess is, what happens to all the contracts should the PA decertify? Because the contracts are not actual dollar amounts - they are basically a stake in the % of the players' share of HRR. So if there is no more cap or CBA, what would they get paid?
You may want to think that one over.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Can I get a facepalm please?

Old
11-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
What does actually happen though. Are the contracts negotiated under the prior CBA's all void, & its then a free for all on every player out there?

Old
11-26-2012, 01:38 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
What does actually happen though. Are the contracts negotiated under the prior CBA's all void, & its then a free for all on every player out there?
Dont know really, but the nba filed or threatened to file an injunction that would void all contracts if the nbapa de-certified their union. It was unclear if the injunction would have been successful but there was speculation that it would have been.

I imaging that option is open to the nhl if they wanted to premptively cover their butts should the nhlpa de-certify. They would have to collectively agree (owners) if that was something they wanted to pursue or not.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Wrong. It's not parity that's not sustainable, its the current CBA.

If the Cap was fixed at $40 million, then parity would be very sustainable.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Wrong. It's not parity that's not sustainable, its the current CBA.

If the Cap was fixed at $40 million, then parity would be very sustainable.
Is that realistic? Most likely not.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
probably not. But if revenue sharing was increased as the owners have proposed to do and the cap was lowered to a 50% share of HRR is sure would be.

Its funny how the PA preaches that they want to be treated as partners in the league and want say in this and that but they arent willing to do what is clearly best for the league and players this time around. During the last negotiations in '04 they did do that and both the league and players make record profits. Everyone won.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Your argument is that parity is not sustainable. Only if you accept any of the Players Union CBA offers.

I don't.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
What precisely is it that I want to think over? Under the old CBA, a $5M deal would not necessarily pay you $5M - could be more or less depending on HRR and the total value of all contracts. Are you saying that the contracts would call for the actual $ amount on the contract to be paid in the absence of a CBA?

Old
11-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
What precisely is it that I want to think over? Under the old CBA, a $5M deal would not necessarily pay you $5M - could be more or less depending on HRR and the total value of all contracts. Are you saying that the contracts would call for the actual $ amount on the contract to be paid in the absence of a CBA?
The actual contracts ARE expressed in dollar amounts. They are subject to the cba, and that is where the HRR% and escrow and whatnot comes into play, but Horcoff's contract says he makes "x" number of dollars per year, not a % of "x" number.

Just my opinion.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
The actual contracts ARE expressed in dollar amounts. They are subject to the cba, and that is where the HRR% and escrow and whatnot comes into play, but Horcoff's contract says he makes "x" number of dollars per year, not a % of "x" number.

Just my opinion.
Right - but a big part of the SPC is that it has to do with the CBA, right? I mean I don't know. Don't really know much about contract law, but somewhere in there it talks about the actual compensation being subject to HHR and all that jazz - so if you take that out, would the contract still be valid?

Old
11-26-2012, 02:39 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Both sides agree to allow U.S. federal mediators to become involved in the impasse according to Bob Mackenzie.

http://www.fmcs.gov/internet/itemDet...9&itemID=23887

Not that it has a chance in hell of happening but it's too bad they didn't take it to arbitration instead. Still, it can't hurt to get a 3rd party to try and push things along.

Last edited by RipsADrive: 11-26-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Right - but a big part of the SPC is that it has to do with the CBA, right? I mean I don't know. Don't really know much about contract law, but somewhere in there it talks about the actual compensation being subject to HHR and all that jazz - so if you take that out, would the contract still be valid?
Im not a lawyer so I have no idea. From what I have read, it seems the contracts would still be valid, but the cba would no longer be applicable, so escrow, HRR% and anything else associated with the cba would no longer be valid, but perhaps the individual player contracts would be, but that is speculation on my part.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Both sides agree to allow U.S. federal mediators to become involved in the impasse according to Bob Mackenzie.

http://www.fmcs.gov/internet/itemDet...9&itemID=23887

Not that it has a chance in hell of happening but it's too bad they take it to arbitration instead. Still, it can't hurt to get a 3rd party to try and push things along.
NHL really has to let some of the contract things go like the 5 year contract limit and UFA age. I think theses are the major sticking points right now not the HRR. NHL should let the 5 year thing slide on the condition that the NHLPA agrees to the restructuring of the conferences.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:54 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
NHL really has to let some of the contract things go like the 5 year contract limit and UFA age. I think theses are the major sticking points right now not the HRR. NHL should let the 5 year thing slide on the condition that the NHLPA agrees to the restructuring of the conferences.
To be honest I really hate the new alignment proposal. I think it's stupid that the teams in the 7 team conferences have a better shot at the playoffs than those with 8 but that's a discussion for another thread.

It's been said a lot here before but I think the NHL could easily drop the 5 year demand since it's more the backdiving nature of the problem contracts rather than the term itself that is creating the issue. If the PA agreed to something like the 5% variation year to year I think that would more than address the situation.

Closed Thread