HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 01:56 PM
jmoss45

vCash: 500
Do you guys think there is anything we could reasonably give up that could land us B Schenn? He is in every way the perfect 2C imo.

If we dealt Gagner to Chi for Hjarmalsson then either..

Hjarmlasson+Pitlick+Musil?

or

Hjarmlasson+our 2013 1st?

or Klefbom+ Pitlick?

I'd include Whitey too but Philly fans would likely think he's a worthless bandaid.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:03 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Do you guys think there is anything we could reasonably give up that could land us B Schenn? He is in every way the perfect 2C imo.

or

or Klefbom+ Pitlick?

I'd include Whitey too but Philly fans would likely think he's a worthless bandaid.
Best thing to do is ask yourself why would Philly want to part with him? Quick answer is they don't. Making the asking price high.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:07 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Best thing to do is ask yourself why would Philly want to part with him? Quick answer is they don't. Making the asking price high.
Not to mention the fact that they just traded for his brother

Old
11-26-2012, 02:58 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

or

or Klefbom+ Pitlick?

Look at what Philly gave up to get him, those offers don't come close. If Hemsky returns to form and isn't injured he's the base line along with a A level prospect. And if were doing a deal that big with Philly I'd rather Tambo targeted Couturier. Think Hemsky+Klefbom+2nd for Couturier, and it might take a pick on top of that.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Look at what Philly gave up to get him, those offers don't come close. If Hemsky returns to form and isn't injured he's the base line along with a A level prospect. And if were doing a deal that big with Philly I'd rather Tambo targeted Couturier. Think Hemsky+Klefbom+2nd for Couturier, and it might take a pick on top of that.
I can't see them moving Couturier to be honest. Kid had a decent rookie season and is only going to get better. Voracek gets moved up front before anyone else under 25.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Arpeggio

Philly wouldn't move either Schenn or Couturier for a package not including one of the big 5. And what I mean is that it's not worth it to them to give up either guy for guys like Marancin, Gagner, Musil, Klefbom, whatever, though all those guys might be good players.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:56 PM
misfit

Like OilDrop37 said, what reason do the Flyers have to move either Schenn or Couturier? This seems to be the biggest thing that people seem to forget when making these types of proposals.

Look at Philly and where they are as an organization. Why would a team with two highly rated prospects who are contributors at the NHL level on cap friendly deals trade them for a bunch of picks and prospects?

11-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Jamin

Im just happy the Oilers seem to be out of the Luongo running, we were getting swarmed there for a while

Old
11-26-2012, 06:03 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:

or

or Klefbom+ Pitlick?

Philly could of had Hjarmalsson any time for cheap, the Hawks have been trying to dump him and his contract. Would cost more then a non-physical 3rd pairing D to get Gagner.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:53 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Any news on Peckham.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Bergeron47

Im surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but more information has come out regarding the 'WOW' move ala Stauffer. I'm kicking myself for not remembering which podcast I heard it from last week, but a caller asked him if the deal was still on hold, or dead in the water because Bob said it depended on the lockout ending December 1st. Stauffer said it still holds ground. He then asked the caller what the biggest question mark is on the team, and that's it's a glaring one. The caller said "Goaltending. It's gotta be goaltending." Stauffer said 'Exactly.' and went on to basically reveal that the 'WOW' move is for a goalie, repeating that an amnesty clause must be part of the new CBA. He also said 'it may not be a surprising move'.
This leads me to believe its not Jay Bouwmeester, and it's gotta be Roberto Luongo.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:41 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Im surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but more information has come out regarding the 'WOW' move ala Stauffer. I'm kicking myself for not remembering which podcast I heard it from last week, but a caller asked him if the deal was still on hold, or dead in the water because Bob said it depended on the lockout ending December 1st. Stauffer said it still holds ground. He then asked the caller what the biggest question mark is on the team, and that's it's a glaring one. The caller said "Goaltending. It's gotta be goaltending." Stauffer said 'Exactly.' and went on to basically reveal that the 'WOW' move is for a goalie, repeating that an amnesty clause must be part of the new CBA. He also said 'it may not be a surprising move'.
This leads me to believe its not Jay Bouwmeester, and it's gotta be Roberto Luongo.
I'm guessing this would refer to us being able to buyout Khabby and/or Horcoff to be able to trade for Luongo. Don't see Luongo signing here if he's bought out.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I'm guessing this would refer to us being able to buyout Khabby and/or Horcoff to be able to trade for Luongo. Don't see Luongo signing here if he's bought out.
IMO that'd be the "WOW" part. They buy him out and he signs with us as a FA.

12-02-2012, 03:18 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
What about Bernier? Not a huge move but that would bolster our goaltending. Lowe even said they're thin at that position, and that is definitely a guy who could turn into a star.

Trade for Bernier. Promise him 22 games here (in a full season), leaving the other 60 for Dubnyk, as long as he's playing well. If Dubnyk fails, we have a great backup plan that doesn't involve a drunk senior citizens with a criminal record.

I wonder what it would cost/what LA wants?

Old
12-02-2012, 03:29 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
What about Bernier? Not a huge move but that would bolster our goaltending. Lowe even said they're thin at that position, and that is definitely a guy who could turn into a star.

Trade for Bernier. Promise him 22 games here (in a full season), leaving the other 60 for Dubnyk, as long as he's playing well. If Dubnyk fails, we have a great backup plan that doesn't involve a drunk senior citizens with a criminal record.

The price is way to high for a guy who's proven nothing

Old
12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
San Jose is in the same boat with Clowe. If the season gets cancelled both will be UFA's and there is a pretty good chance they move on.
Sorry to be lurking, but I know for a fact that SJ is trying to re-sign Clowe. I don't know how much Clowe thinks he's worth, but if they can, SJ will re-sign him.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Sorry to be lurking, but I know for a fact that SJ is trying to re-sign Clowe. I don't know how much Clowe thinks he's worth, but if they can, SJ will re-sign him.
I have no doubt they would like him back but if there is no season he will very well end up as a UFA. And if the cap is low 60M's how do they afford him given that they have $54M committed on 14 contracts? Even if they got rid of Boyle, it would still mean about $14M to sign 10 players.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:

Couldnt be the guy, he's not a 'WOW' player, but I wouldn't mind him if he's the best we could get and the price was right.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:27 PM
oilerfan17

I really hope that Keith Yandle is on the Oilers' radar. While I would prefer more of a two-way type, there doesn't seem to be a top-pairing LD like that available, and Yandle would be a great fit in other ways. His puckmoving and offense would add to an already ridiculous aresenal, and his defense is good enough that he can play big minutes. Smid-Schultz and Yandle-Petry could complient the offense well, and the idea of a Klefbom-Teubert bottom pairing smooths out the defense. Plus, Yandle is locked up for several years at $5.25 million, very reasonable and within the Oilers' salary structure.

Why would the Coyotes do it? You'd have to hope that with OEL's emergence, and perhaps with Nick Scultz coming back to ease the loss, that Phoenix would want to spend the money elsewhere. They could even include Derrik Morris to further clear salary. The question then becomes what combination of Hemsky, Paajarvi, Marincin, etc. could be added to Schultz to make an enticing offer.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:56 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
The price is way to high for a guy who's proven nothing
The risk you gotta take. Teams don't trade away proven goaltenders for peanuts.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
The risk you gotta take. Teams don't trade away proven goaltenders for peanuts.
Except they do.

There are plenty of decent goaltenders moving around the league outside of the elite top end. A status which Bernier/Schneider/Harding or any other backup do not qualify for, it's debatable they qualify as "proven".

There is also a ton of risk in picking up sheltered backup goaltenders from elite and/or defensive obsessed teams as well. No team wants to overpay based on unfounded hype and end up with the next Toskala, Cloutier, or Raycroft - a real risk with any tender who hasn't been relied upon as a number 1.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Mr V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO that'd be the "WOW" part. They buy him out and he signs with us as a FA.
Luongo is still owed close to 40 mil. No way that contract gets bought out. Way too expensive.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:19 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Except they do.

There are plenty of decent goaltenders moving around the league outside of the elite top end. A status which Bernier/Schneider/Harding or any other backup do not qualify for, it's debatable they qualify as "proven".

There is also a ton of risk in picking up sheltered backup goaltenders from elite and/or defensive obsessed teams as well. No team wants to overpay based on unfounded hype and end up with the next Toskala, Cloutier, or Raycroft - a real risk with any tender who hasn't been relied upon as a number 1.
I think goalies are just hard to price.

Since when has a goalie been traded for top end talent.

So much of what a goalie does depends on systems and defensive play that you can't even trade for a top end goalie and expect the same performance out of him post-trade.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I'd rather fix the D and give Dubnyk a shot than bring in another goaltender.

12-03-2012, 02:09 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I'm not a fan of Bernier even though I know a lot are. He's simply no better than Dubnyk imo... and would be too pricey. There are other cheaper and just as good options overseas for decent goalies.

Closed Thread