HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Evidence of Competence or Incompetence; or is just not that simple?

View Poll Results: Within the last 10 years or more recently, Has the League been managed Competently?
Yes, the League has been primarily managed with Competence. 3 11.54%
There really has been a mix of Competence and Incompetence. 12 46.15%
No, unfortunately it appears not to have been managed very competently. 5 19.23%
Really, it's just not as simple as declaring Competence or Incompetence. 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Evidence of Competence or Incompetence; or is just not that simple?

I'm curious to know what the HFBoard opinion is about how the League has been and is being run, and the top people on both sides of the owner-player dealings that go on in the League. I'm not specifically focusing here on this current CBA negotiation process, but in all off-ice aspects of the NHL over, let's say, the last 10 years.

Certainly there's been evidence that the League has made some good moves; the increased revenues in the League being direct evidence of that. But has it all or even mostly been good? I think that one could also point to evidence of certain aspects of the sport which haven't been handled that well; two lockouts in 7 years being one; perhaps increased numbers of concussions being another; and the appearance of a number of very poorly managed teams/franchises being yet another.

Got the thread re-opened with a few links to related articles:

Gary Bettman’s incompetence as a Commissioner is ruining the NHL
http://www.uncgcarolinian.com/sports...9bb30f31a.html

Latest NHL lockout highlights the incompetence of the league and the loyalty of fans
http://ticker.baruchconnect.com/arti...yalty-of-fans/

Quote:
let's take a moment to honor the incompetence of the NHL commissioner
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...t-go-away-gary

Quote:
But the level of incompetence by everyone involved in labor negotiations has reached a new level of frustration.
http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.co.../#!prettyPhoto[gallery2642]/0/

Quote:
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.”
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/comment...service=mobile

The majority of the comments or criticisms mentioned in those articles are directed at Bettman, which I guess should be expected and is typical. And as is almost always the case, the focus is on the negative, though that is again to be expected, I suppose, seeing that we are in the middle of another negative moment in NHL history. However, even if you are of the leaning that there is a fair bit of incompetence in the League, I'd still say that it's rather narrow-sighted to put the blame for everything on Bettman's shoulders. Afterall, it's not a daycare that he's in charge of. And there's still the players' side, which Bettman isn't really in control of.

Anyway, those are some opinions expressed in those articles, generally with a very narrow focus limited to the current lockout situation. So, what is your opinion, based on a longer range of how things have been going with the NHL from the recent past until today?

Give your vote, and comments, about just how well or poorly you think this League has been handled over the past decade or in more recent years.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 11-26-2012 at 02:29 PM.
MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:12 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
In some aspects the league has been managed quite well, but in others, you just have to shake your head.

During the last 10 years we have seen an increase in league wide revenues. This points to good management and planning.

During the last 10 years we have had a team owned by the league. This points to poor management and planning.

I'm sure there are many examples of each.

Last edited by cbcwpg: 11-26-2012 at 02:49 PM.
cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:44 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Not BOH material. No criteria to make determination.

Better on NHL Talk.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Not BOH material. No criteria to make determination.

Better on NHL Talk.
Thanks for re-opening. Now let's see if those who reply can help to make it BOH Board worthy.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Orrthebest

I yet to meet anyone who doesn't think he could manage things better than their boss.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote