HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
11-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
I'd bring Omark back over again if they can't get anything for him. Didn't Kreuger say he liked him at some point? I'd like to see him play with Hartikainen on a line. At least preseason would be entertaining, before he got cut or whatever.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:52 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I'd bring Omark back over again if they can't get anything for him. Didn't Kreuger say he liked him at some point? I'd like to see him play with Hartikainen on a line. At least preseason would be entertaining, before he got cut or whatever.
I'm all for a Omark 2nd chance, but he's gotta beat out Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Hemsky, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, and even Smyth for only four top six winger positions.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99
Didn't Brule get released from his contract?
That's my point, even Brule managed nearly half a point per game, and his highest scoring NHL season saw just 4 more points than Pacioretty had goals last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
NLA is a pro league after all, it's not that any NHLer is guaranteed to jumpstart at over PPG over there.
I understand that. As I said, I looked through every single Swiss teams roster and he was the only NHLer really struggling offensively by comparison.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Bergeron47

If Hall made the transition we could go old school with 3 scoring lines LOL

Hartikainen-RNH-Yakupov
Omark-Hall-Eberle
Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
Petrell-Horcoff-Jones
Hordichuk

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Thorulf

Well, i should maybe clarify that it was a joke when i stated that Oilers might get a first round pick for Linus...
However Omark ripping up the swiss league and out-scoring many regular NHL players (yeah, yeah. "They are just skating around and trying not to get hurt") is simply not a bad thing. And ofc it catches the eyes on many scouts. It's their job after all...
When Linus is producing at the pace he is now, it's favorable for both him and Oilers.

As for Linus comeback in Edmonton; i doubt it will happend. Sadly.
There was so much that could have been good! A "young" creative player that fans in most cases would love in a young talented team.
Too bad about everything went wrong:
- The off-year in KHL.
- The negative effects of beeing a "youtube sensation"
- The fact that Rob Schemp have had failure in this club, reflected negative on Omark...
- The bad start with Tom Renny
- The spin-o-rama-penelty in his debut had a huge backlash in the long term.
- Not playing his A-game, when needed the most.
- Some fans mixing up good confidence with "bad attitude"
- Foot injury.

Many bridges are burned, so i doubt it will happend.
If he could be able to break the top six? In my mind yes;
(But then again also think Pääjärvi is the by far most overrated player on this board.
While Linus have done very well in WC, SHL, AHL, KHL (and now swizz league) MPS has none of that. A good WCJ maybe. Said it before; Pääjärvi will be Edmontons biggest disapointment. Working hard and making a couple of political correct answers in some interviews isn't enough.)

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Well, i should maybe clarify that it was a joke when i stated that Oilers might get a first round pick for Linus...
However Omark ripping up the swiss league and out-scoring many regular NHL players (yeah, yeah. "They are just skating around and trying not to get hurt") is simply not a bad thing. And ofc it catches the eyes on many scouts. It's their job after all...
When Linus is producing at the pace he is now, it's favorable for both him and Oilers.

There was so much that could have been good! A "young" creative player that fans in most cases would love in a young talented team.
- The off-year in KHL.
- The fact that Rob Schemp have had failure in this club, reflected negative on Omark...
- Foot injury.

(But then again also think Pääjärvi is the by far most overrated player on this board.
While Linus have done very well in WC, SHL, AHL, KHL (and now swizz league) MPS has none of that. A good WCJ maybe. Said it before; Pääjärvi will be Edmontons biggest disapointment. Working hard and making a couple of political correct answers in some interviews isn't enough.)
Bolded is the reality. He didn't force the Oilers to make a tough decision on him.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Thorulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Bolded is the reality. He didn't force the Oilers to make a tough decision on him.
Ignorance is bliss, i guess. Players in Oilers have been playing far worse then Linus, and still met a better fate, and more patience. How about the big picture?
Omarks play is ofc the biggest part, but to stated it like it's the only thing that have been a factor is just narrow minded. All of the above contributes. Sigh...

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:

- The off-year in KHL.
- Foot injury.

Good for Linus, it should help the Oilers get a reasonable return when they trade his rights. But the comments about PRV are out of line, he wants to continue to grow as a player and accepts minor league time as part of this process. Saying the right thing and working hard shouldn't be construed as a negative. But PRV has little to do with Omark (other than nationality) so why the comparison?

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss, i guess. Players in Oilers have been playing far worse then Linus, and still met a better fate, and more patience. How about the big picture?
Omarks play is ofc the biggest part, but to stated it like it's the only thing that have been a factor is just narrow minded. All of the above contributes. Sigh...
You fail to see the reality of the situation. Had Omark played better he would have been an Oiler. That isn't narrow minded, it is the truth. Hype and media scrutiny aside, all fans care about is winning and points. All the rest is quickly forgotten about when the player succeeds.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Thorulf's comment about Paajarvi is especially funny considering that Omark did diddly squat on the Oilers when he wasn't playing on a line with Gagner and PAAJARVI.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:11 AM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Thorulf's comment about Paajarvi is especially funny considering that Omark did diddly squat on the Oilers when he wasn't playing on a line with Gagner and PAAJARVI.
TBH Paajarvi did didly squat without Omark on his line.

Last edited by franfrey*: 11-26-2012 at 12:22 AM.
franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
TBH Paajarvi didn't do didly squat without Omark on his line.
It goes both ways?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
TBH Paajarvi didn't do didly squat without Omark on his line.
So by your admission, MPS did something without Omark?

Double negative, my friend.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:23 AM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post

Haha, now I'm making sense.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:12 AM
eskies4life

vCash: 535
Bring Omark back. I don't like how Renney handled him at all. I really hope the orginization gives him another chance and Omark giving the Oilers one last chance. Even if he is a 3rd liner wouldnt it be nice to have a 3rd liner that plays like Omark? I would prefer him to a guy like Jones, Horcoff, Belanger. Im tired of hearing the "he's too small argument thats not a argument imo in this day and age, smaller players have made it and smaller players will continue to make it. All you need is skill (at some aspect of your game) to make it in the NHL. (Im hoping he is working on his shot in Switzerland, hes going to need to improve it if he does come back however )

He's too small isn't a argument. If a players good enough he's good enough, smaller players just need to do different things to improve than a bigger player. Bigger players have to work on different things also to make it.

Last edited by eskies4life: 11-26-2012 at 04:25 AM.
eskies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
Bring Omark back. I don't like how Renney handled him at all. I really hope the orginization gives him another chance and Omark giving the Oilers one last chance. Even if he is a 3rd liner wouldnt it be nice to have a 3rd liner that plays like Omark? I would prefer him to a guy like Jones, Horcoff, Belanger. Im tired of hearing the "he's too small argument thats not a argument imo in this day and age, smaller players have made it and smaller players will continue to make it. All you need is skill (at some aspect of your game) to make it in the NHL. (Im hoping he is working on his shot in Switzerland, hes going to need to improve it if he does come back however )

He's too small isn't a argument. If a players good enough he's good enough, smaller players just need to do different things to improve than a bigger player. Bigger players have to work on different things also to make it.
It isn't going to happen. Omark is a top six guy (when and if he can play well), IMO there isn't room in the top six anymore on a healthy Oilers roster.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:46 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
I'm all for a Omark 2nd chance, but he's gotta beat out Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Hemsky, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, and even Smyth for only four top six winger positions.
I don't think it would be about beating out Oilers. It would more be about proving to other teams that he can play. If he did well in a pre-season a team probably picks him up off waivers, if he clears then Omark can go to Europe.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:47 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
It isn't going to happen. Omark is a top six guy (when and if he can play well), IMO there isn't room in the top six anymore on a healthy Oilers roster.
We don't exactly ever see that.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We don't exactly ever see that.
Very true but would Linus be happy sitting on the sidelines or be happy with 3rd line plugger minutes, I doubt it.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post

Triple negative!

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Very true but would Linus be happy sitting on the sidelines or be happy with 3rd line plugger minutes, I doubt it.
Does he really expect that he's going to get top 6 time anywhere else right off the bat?

Seriously if he was capable of that someone would've traded for him last year when it was clear he wasn't going to play for the Oilers.

I think Linus is going to be in for a big surprise if he thinks he can just step in anywhere and play top 6. Especially Detroit.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Does he really expect that he's going to get top 6 time anywhere else right off the bat?

Seriously if he was capable of that someone would've traded for him last year when it was clear he wasn't going to play for the Oilers.

I think Linus is going to be in for a big surprise if he thinks he can just step in anywhere and play top 6. Especially Detroit.
I agree but Omark has shown he can be more effective when utilized on the top 2 lines. It's a risk but for some teams he would probably work well.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:17 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I agree but Omark has shown he can be more effective when utilized on the top 2 lines. It's a risk but for some teams he would probably work well.
So why hasn't anyone taken the risk yet? I mean it's not like Omark's offensive abilities just happened 2 months ago. Teams kinda knew awhile back that there isn't much room for Omark in Edmonton, yet no calls on the kid.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Tedi

Quote:
So why hasn't anyone taken the risk yet? I mean it's not like Omark's offensive abilities just happened 2 months ago. Teams kinda knew awhile back that there isn't much room for Omark in Edmonton, yet no calls on the kid.
Because in the last 2 months Linus has discovered that he is indeed a good hockey player and may indeed have what it takes to play in the NHL.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Because in the last 2 months Linus has discovered that he is indeed a good hockey player and may indeed have what it takes to play in the NHL.
I have my doubts that he's all that much different than when he came from the KHL.