HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2012, 01:47 PM
  #426
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
I'd bring Omark back over again if they can't get anything for him. Didn't Kreuger say he liked him at some point? I'd like to see him play with Hartikainen on a line. At least preseason would be entertaining, before he got cut or whatever.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:52 PM
  #427
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I'd bring Omark back over again if they can't get anything for him. Didn't Kreuger say he liked him at some point? I'd like to see him play with Hartikainen on a line. At least preseason would be entertaining, before he got cut or whatever.
I'm all for a Omark 2nd chance, but he's gotta beat out Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Hemsky, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, and even Smyth for only four top six winger positions.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
  #428
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99
Didn't Brule get released from his contract?
That's my point, even Brule managed nearly half a point per game, and his highest scoring NHL season saw just 4 more points than Pacioretty had goals last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
NLA is a pro league after all, it's not that any NHLer is guaranteed to jumpstart at over PPG over there.
I understand that. As I said, I looked through every single Swiss teams roster and he was the only NHLer really struggling offensively by comparison.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:42 PM
  #429
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,441
vCash: 500
If Hall made the transition we could go old school with 3 scoring lines LOL

Hartikainen-RNH-Yakupov
Omark-Hall-Eberle
Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
Petrell-Horcoff-Jones
Hordichuk

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
  #430
Thorulf
Registered User
 
Thorulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Well, i should maybe clarify that it was a joke when i stated that Oilers might get a first round pick for Linus...
However Omark ripping up the swiss league and out-scoring many regular NHL players (yeah, yeah. "They are just skating around and trying not to get hurt") is simply not a bad thing. And ofc it catches the eyes on many scouts. It's their job after all...
When Linus is producing at the pace he is now, it's favorable for both him and Oilers.

As for Linus comeback in Edmonton; i doubt it will happend. Sadly.
There was so much that could have been good! A "young" creative player that fans in most cases would love in a young talented team.
Too bad about everything went wrong:
- The off-year in KHL.
- The negative effects of beeing a "youtube sensation"
- The fact that Rob Schemp have had failure in this club, reflected negative on Omark...
- The bad start with Tom Renny
- The spin-o-rama-penelty in his debut had a huge backlash in the long term.
- Not playing his A-game, when needed the most.
- Some fans mixing up good confidence with "bad attitude"
- Foot injury.

Many bridges are burned, so i doubt it will happend.
If he could be able to break the top six? In my mind yes;
(But then again also think Pääjärvi is the by far most overrated player on this board.
While Linus have done very well in WC, SHL, AHL, KHL (and now swizz league) MPS has none of that. A good WCJ maybe. Said it before; Pääjärvi will be Edmontons biggest disapointment. Working hard and making a couple of political correct answers in some interviews isn't enough.)

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 06:35 PM
  #431
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Well, i should maybe clarify that it was a joke when i stated that Oilers might get a first round pick for Linus...
However Omark ripping up the swiss league and out-scoring many regular NHL players (yeah, yeah. "They are just skating around and trying not to get hurt") is simply not a bad thing. And ofc it catches the eyes on many scouts. It's their job after all...
When Linus is producing at the pace he is now, it's favorable for both him and Oilers.

As for Linus comeback in Edmonton; i doubt it will happend. Sadly.
There was so much that could have been good! A "young" creative player that fans in most cases would love in a young talented team.
Too bad about everything went wrong:
- The off-year in KHL.
- The negative effects of beeing a "youtube sensation"
- The fact that Rob Schemp have had failure in this club, reflected negative on Omark...
- The bad start with Tom Renny
- The spin-o-rama-penelty in his debut had a huge backlash in the long term.
- Not playing his A-game, when needed the most.
- Some fans mixing up good confidence with "bad attitude"
- Foot injury.

Many bridges are burned, so i doubt it will happend.
If he could be able to break the top six? In my mind yes;
(But then again also think Pääjärvi is the by far most overrated player on this board.
While Linus have done very well in WC, SHL, AHL, KHL (and now swizz league) MPS has none of that. A good WCJ maybe. Said it before; Pääjärvi will be Edmontons biggest disapointment. Working hard and making a couple of political correct answers in some interviews isn't enough.)
Bolded is the reality. He didn't force the Oilers to make a tough decision on him.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM
  #432
Thorulf
Registered User
 
Thorulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Bolded is the reality. He didn't force the Oilers to make a tough decision on him.
Ignorance is bliss, i guess. Players in Oilers have been playing far worse then Linus, and still met a better fate, and more patience. How about the big picture?
Omarks play is ofc the biggest part, but to stated it like it's the only thing that have been a factor is just narrow minded. All of the above contributes. Sigh...

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
  #433
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Well, i should maybe clarify that it was a joke when i stated that Oilers might get a first round pick for Linus...
However Omark ripping up the swiss league and out-scoring many regular NHL players (yeah, yeah. "They are just skating around and trying not to get hurt") is simply not a bad thing. And ofc it catches the eyes on many scouts. It's their job after all...
When Linus is producing at the pace he is now, it's favorable for both him and Oilers.

As for Linus comeback in Edmonton; i doubt it will happend. Sadly.
There was so much that could have been good! A "young" creative player that fans in most cases would love in a young talented team.
Too bad about everything went wrong:
- The off-year in KHL.
- The negative effects of beeing a "youtube sensation"
- The fact that Rob Schemp have had failure in this club, reflected negative on Omark...
- The bad start with Tom Renny
- The spin-o-rama-penelty in his debut had a huge backlash in the long term.
- Not playing his A-game, when needed the most.
- Some fans mixing up good confidence with "bad attitude"
- Foot injury.

Many bridges are burned, so i doubt it will happend.
If he could be able to break the top six? In my mind yes;
(But then again also think Pääjärvi is the by far most overrated player on this board.
While Linus have done very well in WC, SHL, AHL, KHL (and now swizz league) MPS has none of that. A good WCJ maybe. Said it before; Pääjärvi will be Edmontons biggest disapointment. Working hard and making a couple of political correct answers in some interviews isn't enough.)
Good for Linus, it should help the Oilers get a reasonable return when they trade his rights. But the comments about PRV are out of line, he wants to continue to grow as a player and accepts minor league time as part of this process. Saying the right thing and working hard shouldn't be construed as a negative. But PRV has little to do with Omark (other than nationality) so why the comparison?

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:49 PM
  #434
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Ignorance is bliss, i guess. Players in Oilers have been playing far worse then Linus, and still met a better fate, and more patience. How about the big picture?
Omarks play is ofc the biggest part, but to stated it like it's the only thing that have been a factor is just narrow minded. All of the above contributes. Sigh...
You fail to see the reality of the situation. Had Omark played better he would have been an Oiler. That isn't narrow minded, it is the truth. Hype and media scrutiny aside, all fans care about is winning and points. All the rest is quickly forgotten about when the player succeeds.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:53 PM
  #435
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Thorulf's comment about Paajarvi is especially funny considering that Omark did diddly squat on the Oilers when he wasn't playing on a line with Gagner and PAAJARVI.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:11 AM
  #436
franfrey*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Thorulf's comment about Paajarvi is especially funny considering that Omark did diddly squat on the Oilers when he wasn't playing on a line with Gagner and PAAJARVI.
TBH Paajarvi did didly squat without Omark on his line.


Last edited by franfrey*: 11-26-2012 at 12:22 AM.
franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:14 AM
  #437
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
TBH Paajarvi didn't do didly squat without Omark on his line.
It goes both ways?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:18 AM
  #438
Q Continuum
You are Wrong
 
Q Continuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,910
vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
TBH Paajarvi didn't do didly squat without Omark on his line.
So by your admission, MPS did something without Omark?

Double negative, my friend.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:23 AM
  #439
franfrey*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
So by your admission, MPS did something without Omark?

Double negative, my friend.
Haha, now I'm making sense.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:12 AM
  #440
eskies4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 283
vCash: 535
Bring Omark back. I don't like how Renney handled him at all. I really hope the orginization gives him another chance and Omark giving the Oilers one last chance. Even if he is a 3rd liner wouldnt it be nice to have a 3rd liner that plays like Omark? I would prefer him to a guy like Jones, Horcoff, Belanger. Im tired of hearing the "he's too small argument thats not a argument imo in this day and age, smaller players have made it and smaller players will continue to make it. All you need is skill (at some aspect of your game) to make it in the NHL. (Im hoping he is working on his shot in Switzerland, hes going to need to improve it if he does come back however )


He's too small isn't a argument. If a players good enough he's good enough, smaller players just need to do different things to improve than a bigger player. Bigger players have to work on different things also to make it.


Last edited by eskies4life: 11-26-2012 at 04:25 AM.
eskies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:30 AM
  #441
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
Bring Omark back. I don't like how Renney handled him at all. I really hope the orginization gives him another chance and Omark giving the Oilers one last chance. Even if he is a 3rd liner wouldnt it be nice to have a 3rd liner that plays like Omark? I would prefer him to a guy like Jones, Horcoff, Belanger. Im tired of hearing the "he's too small argument thats not a argument imo in this day and age, smaller players have made it and smaller players will continue to make it. All you need is skill (at some aspect of your game) to make it in the NHL. (Im hoping he is working on his shot in Switzerland, hes going to need to improve it if he does come back however )


He's too small isn't a argument. If a players good enough he's good enough, smaller players just need to do different things to improve than a bigger player. Bigger players have to work on different things also to make it.
It isn't going to happen. Omark is a top six guy (when and if he can play well), IMO there isn't room in the top six anymore on a healthy Oilers roster.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:46 AM
  #442
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
I'm all for a Omark 2nd chance, but he's gotta beat out Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Hemsky, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, and even Smyth for only four top six winger positions.
I don't think it would be about beating out Oilers. It would more be about proving to other teams that he can play. If he did well in a pre-season a team probably picks him up off waivers, if he clears then Omark can go to Europe.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:47 AM
  #443
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
It isn't going to happen. Omark is a top six guy (when and if he can play well), IMO there isn't room in the top six anymore on a healthy Oilers roster.
We don't exactly ever see that.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:22 AM
  #444
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We don't exactly ever see that.
Very true but would Linus be happy sitting on the sidelines or be happy with 3rd line plugger minutes, I doubt it.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:50 PM
  #445
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
So by your admission, MPS did something without Omark?

Double negative, my friend.
Triple negative!


Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
  #446
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Very true but would Linus be happy sitting on the sidelines or be happy with 3rd line plugger minutes, I doubt it.
Does he really expect that he's going to get top 6 time anywhere else right off the bat?

Seriously if he was capable of that someone would've traded for him last year when it was clear he wasn't going to play for the Oilers.

I think Linus is going to be in for a big surprise if he thinks he can just step in anywhere and play top 6. Especially Detroit.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
  #447
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Does he really expect that he's going to get top 6 time anywhere else right off the bat?

Seriously if he was capable of that someone would've traded for him last year when it was clear he wasn't going to play for the Oilers.

I think Linus is going to be in for a big surprise if he thinks he can just step in anywhere and play top 6. Especially Detroit.
I agree but Omark has shown he can be more effective when utilized on the top 2 lines. It's a risk but for some teams he would probably work well.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:17 PM
  #448
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
I agree but Omark has shown he can be more effective when utilized on the top 2 lines. It's a risk but for some teams he would probably work well.
So why hasn't anyone taken the risk yet? I mean it's not like Omark's offensive abilities just happened 2 months ago. Teams kinda knew awhile back that there isn't much room for Omark in Edmonton, yet no calls on the kid.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:44 PM
  #449
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So why hasn't anyone taken the risk yet? I mean it's not like Omark's offensive abilities just happened 2 months ago. Teams kinda knew awhile back that there isn't much room for Omark in Edmonton, yet no calls on the kid.
Because in the last 2 months Linus has discovered that he is indeed a good hockey player and may indeed have what it takes to play in the NHL.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:48 PM
  #450
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Because in the last 2 months Linus has discovered that he is indeed a good hockey player and may indeed have what it takes to play in the NHL.
I have my doubts that he's all that much different than when he came from the KHL.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.