HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Steam is the best thing ever: (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Didn't really expect to get anything, but Orcs must die 2 and all its DLC for 75% off is too good to pass up.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:04 AM
BeBen*

Xcom 50% off 25$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ildsplaycha-20

Cyber Monday Deals (over 400 games)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...oup=1&plpage=2

Old
11-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Frankie Spankie

Hmm, I am interested in the new XCOM considering all the great things I've heard about it but I'd like to play the originals first... I'll probably see it much cheaper than $25 by the time I finish the original 5. The other thing is I know a couple people that were really excited for the game since they loved the others but admitted that while being a very good game by today's standards, it was still a disappointment as far as the franchise goes. I'll give it a go eventually but I intend on playing them in the order they were meant to be played.

Just briefly looking through that list, I'd recommend for the price: Split/Second, Syndicate (short but fun for the price), S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat & Shadow of Chernobyl, and Battlefield 3. Man, you get 10 pages into that list and good luck hearing of any of those titles.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
awesomo
HARD!

I enjoyed xcom think it's a good game

Old
11-26-2012, 11:03 AM
SolidSnakeUS

XCOM is very much worth the $25.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:17 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

GTA 4 on flash sale. Not sure if I feel like picking it up since I beat it on xbox a long time ago. I never played any of the DLCs though.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Zodiac

dammit @ the prices of The Witcher 2 and Legend of Grimrock!

Legend of Grimrock @ 75% off = $3.74
http://store.steampowered.com/app/20...snr=1_4_4__sdd

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition @ 75% off = $7.49
http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/

but i said i wont buy anything else during this sale and i'm stickin to it. maybe next time.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If you don't own TW2, definitely worth it at that price.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Frankie Spankie

Legend of Grimrock was a ton of fun. It was the first and only dungeon crawler I ever played but I really got sucked in and addicted to it.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I paid full price for it when it came out and still didn't play it for more than 10 minutes .

Old
11-26-2012, 01:21 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

So can anyone recommend any good RPGs? Newer RPGs, let's say post-2000 with over the shoulder view of your character at a minimum (not a fan of the overhead view RPGs).

Here's the list of what I have right now:
Deus Ex (bought, haven't played yet)
Deus Ex: HR (beat multiple times)
Dragon Age: Origins (just bought)
ES: Skyrim (played once)
Fallout 3 (finished once)
Fallout: NV (only played briefly)
SW: KOTOR (about to finish)
SW: KOTOR II (just bought)
Mass Effect 1, 2, 3 (played multiple times (3 only once))
The Witcher 1, 2 (played many times)

I figure ES: Morrowind would be one, although I'm not all that big into the open world games.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:03 PM
sabresfan129103

Some kickass deals today. Legend of Grimrock is an amazing game, but it's not for everyone. It gets very difficult towards the end, but I loved it.

Also $7.49 for the Witcher 2.....seriously, what a deal. I would say if you are somewhat interested in this game then get it. I've played through it 3 times and I'll probably play through it again within the next 6 months. It's a difficult game, but one of my favorite this gen. Make sure your system can run it though.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Some kickass deals today. Legend of Grimrock is an amazing game, but it's not for everyone. It gets very difficult towards the end, but I loved it.

Also $7.49 for the Witcher 2.....seriously, what a deal. I would say if you are somewhat interested in this game then get it. I've played through it 3 times and I'll probably play through it again within the next 6 months. It's a difficult game, but one of my favorite this gen. Make sure your system can run it though.
I've beaten it like 6 or 7 times. I'm waiting for RedKit to come out. Hopefully some people create some good mods. I'll probably play it again at some point, but I've never played a game more than two or three times, so yeah I like TW2 a lot.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
So can anyone recommend any good RPGs? Newer RPGs, let's say post-2000 with over the shoulder view of your character at a minimum (not a fan of the overhead view RPGs).

I figure ES: Morrowind would be one, although I'm not all that big into the open world games.
You should definitely play the original Deus Ex. Not only is it my favorite RPG of all time, it's my favorite single player game of all time.

Something close to Mass Effect is Alpha Protocol, it seemed to get mixed reviews but I personally thought it was a really fun game.

And something close to Deus Ex is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. You'll probably have to download the community patch to get the game to even work but that patch fixes a ton of issues and makes the game shine. IMO, it's the closest you will get to playing Deus Ex without playing Deus Ex itself.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:

You have a pretty good list there. RPG is my favorite genre and like was said Alpha Protocol is worth it (it is always cheap as well) as is Vampire:Bloodlines.

Also, Drakensang 1&2 are quite good (not AAA level games but similar to the Baldurs Gate type gameplay). Risen is good (I have Risen 2 but have not played it yet) as well as the Gothic series and are more "over the shoulder types". Divinity 2 - the Dragon Knight Saga is quite fun as well. I have heard good things about Kingdoms of Almur but have not played it. Also dont forget about Borderland 1&2, both are fairly good aRPGs (though I have not gotten very far into either).

Old
11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Frankie Spankie

Thing about Borderlands is I, as well as a lot of people I've talked to, is only fun in co-op. If you plan on playing singleplayer, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Zodiac

Quote:

looking for a good RPG to play and haven't played Dark Souls?

then i would have to say that game is a must play/buy. super game.

i'm kinda surprised that it wasn't a daily deal during the Steam sale, but its there for 33% off at least.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

also the resolution fix is a must , imo ...
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=258

Old
11-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Ya, your probably right about that, and that is likely why I never got very far into either. However, they are a fun distraction here and there.

Also, the STALKERS are pretty good as well. Personally, I never go deep into them, but I always seemed to have something else on the go. But, come highly rated.

Ypu are missing out if you dont play Morrowind though. You say you dont like open world yet you list the Fallouts as well as Skyrim.

My suggestion is play DA:Orgins. It is one of my favorites since Baldurs Gates (and IMO the last great Bioware game). It should take you a good 50+ hours to get through.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:56 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
Also, Drakensang 1&2 are quite good (not AAA level games but similar to the Baldurs Gate type gameplay).
I couldn't play more than 20 hours or so of River of Time. The combat actually managed to be worse than NWN2, and that's doing something. It was the slowest most passive combat I've seen in an RPG. Everything else about the game was fine but man the combat was horrid.

Quote:

Deus Ex is the best game on your list. KOTOR 2 would be my second choice, get the Sith Lords Restored mod and the high def music/videos package.

Deus Ex has a nice selection of mods too, and a new high def texture mod was recently released.

Last edited by SniperHF: 11-26-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Zodiac

that's one thing i always found about RPGs in general, is that the combat tends to be either mediocre or just flat out terrible.

Darks Souls does combat better than just about any game out there ...RPG or otherwise.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:14 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
that's one thing i always found about RPGs in general, is that the combat tends to be either mediocre or just flat out terrible.

Darks Souls does combat better than just about any game out there ...RPG or otherwise.
I think it takes a certain type to enjoy true RPG combat. I wouldn't put Dark Souls or any ARPG in that category. But even with that said RPG combat is largely mediocre as you said. Probably due to having to focus on dialog trees, character systems, quests, and a whole host of other things a lot of games don't have to worry about.

Speaking of KOTOR 2 ( and 1) both of those game have mediocre combat. But for a different reason, I think both have potential to be fun but the encounters are just way too easy and simple. It has lots of things going for it, many different builds and options, crafting, consumables, force powers.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I think it takes a certain type to enjoy true RPG combat. I wouldn't put Dark Souls or any ARPG in that category. But even with that said RPG combat is largely mediocre as you said. Probably due to having to focus on dialog trees, character systems, quests, and a whole host of other things a lot of games don't have to worry about.

Speaking of KOTOR 2 ( and 1) both of those game have mediocre combat. But for a different reason, I think both have potential to be fun but the encounters are just way too easy and simple. It has lots of things going for it, many different builds and options, crafting, consumables, force powers.
back in the day when Baldur's Gate first came out, people were saying stuff like 'oh man, that game is awesome. you gotta play it.', etc, etc. ...

anyway, i tried it out and i just could not get into the combat at all. i was like 'no matter how good this game is supposed to be story wise, etc, i just can't suffer through this ****** combat'.

more recently, Dragon Age Origins reminded me of Baldur's Gate in that it had sort of the same combat that i generally dislike ...but i actually decided to put up with it this time around, and in the end, i enjoyed that game. i'm not a fan of that type of combat, but it was a good game and pretty interesting.

but yeah, i'm not really a fan of that slow paced, more old school, rpg combat. i find it generally pretty dull and somewhat unrewarding ...but i'm sure i missed out on plenty of good stories because of my avoidance of those games over the years.

and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim had some pretty mediocre combat ...primarily the melee combat. wow ...that left a lot of to be desired. aside from that, i really liked the game ...just wish the melee combat was a lot better.

for my tastes stuff like the Diablo series has pretty good combat ...i really like playing as a Demon Hunter in Diablo 3. really enjoy the combat there ...even tho it seems popular to hate on that game around the net.

Dark Souls = amazing combat. one of my favorite games ever ...Demon's Souls, too.

i wish i could find more games like that ....ones that have both excellent combat and good RPG elements.

i'd play the absolute **** out of any games like that.

oh one other game i played recently that i thought had decent combat was 'Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning'. pretty fun combat, and decent RPG elements ...but the game was so damn easy. that was the downside. i played it on 'normal' difficulty and it was just a complete breeze. i heard that 'hard' wasn't much more of a challenge, either. pretty good game otherwise.

Last edited by Zodiac: 11-26-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Obviously it is a personal thing. I can not stand action combat - click, click, click type. Give me a combat that has some strategy involved like Baldurs Gate or DA:Orgins. Something that I can pause and think about my moves and find the best path to success. Click, click is more popular obviously so when a game comes out that has strategy combat (rarely) I tend to love it.

It just does not feel like a true RPG to me when it is all hack and slash and click click (for me those just feel like a FPS with stats); a true RPG to me takes thought and strategy, combat much like a chess game.

Again, obviously a personal thing but I wish there were more RPGs with pause/issue orders type combat. I guess I grew up on that as well as live DnD and that feels true to me; click, click combat feels mindless and unsatisfying/ ie.if you click fast you do good if you dont you die.

Probably could use its own thread on its own.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:02 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Thing about Borderlands is I, as well as a lot of people I've talked to, is only fun in co-op. If you plan on playing singleplayer, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.
This is probably why I didn't like the first Borderlands. I was so bored playing that game.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
BeBen*

Watching a stream of Playstation All-Stars, what a complete ripoff of Super Smash Bros but then i checked the playable chars list and WHAT THE ****

No Snake? No Crash Bandicoot? No Spyro? No one from Final Fantasy?

TEH ****?

Closed Thread