HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
windycity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by etac View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster. Figured I would share my story.

Started playing hockey at 4 years old, and played up through high school. Played D1, AAA travel, etc. and through the years switched from playing D to RW...especially since at 13, I was 6'1", 180lbs and as fast as any other forward (13 was when we could start checking in our league). I quit playing because I didn't want to play in college and preferred other extra-curriculars (see: alcoholic beverages).

Anyway, for some crazy reason I decided I wanted to play again. Oh, but I didn't just want to play again...I wanted to play the one position I never tried...goalie. So after 2 months of scouring the internet for information and sales on pads, I have all of my equipment. I have been skating here and there since I stopped playing, so getting back on the ice wasn't an issue. I even laughed the first time I skated in my goalie skates...I didn't see what people were talking about when they said how different they were. Sure the blade was a little longer and wasn't rocked, but didn't skate that differently.

I post now, at 25 years old, 7 short hours before my first ever game as a goalie, feeling nervous and jittery. I have no idea how some of you guys and gals do it. I am a strong skater and have all the skills, yet I am still petrified of tonight. I do realize that goalie =/= playing out and is a whole different skill set, but I wasn't expecting these kind of nerves. I want to say I have a lot of respect for all of you that are starting up for the first time, having never skated before.

I also wanted to add that I agree with what a few of you said before, that no matter how skilled you are, you will always make a fool of yourself.

For tonight though, my goal is a 48% save average...I'd be happy with that, haha.
good luck man! curious to see how it goes

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
So I have been playing D a lot more lately, and have been having a major issues completing breakout passes. I just miss my target a lot of the time, but I think that's a matter of practice. What worries me is that I've gone almost exclusively using the boards. If its a long passi bank it so my teammates can skate onto it, or if there is someone directly in front of me, I'll bank it around them and hope a teammate skates onto it. I feel like I'm just creating a ton of 50-50 pucks and not being very productive trying to leave the zone. Any one have any tips or advice?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
So I have been playing D a lot more lately, and have been having a major issues completing breakout passes. I just miss my target a lot of the time, but I think that's a matter of practice. What worries me is that I've gone almost exclusively using the boards. If its a long passi bank it so my teammates can skate onto it, or if there is someone directly in front of me, I'll bank it around them and hope a teammate skates onto it. I feel like I'm just creating a ton of 50-50 pucks and not being very productive trying to leave the zone. Any one have any tips or advice?
Breakout passes become easier the more you play really. Your decisions are made faster with more experience, and as you get to the puck quicker you'll have more time to make breakout passes.

Something you want to practice is being able to flip the puck up in the air high enough that opposition can't just grab them down, as well as a good saucer pass.

Boards are great too if you can ricochet the puck to your teammates.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
polysaturate

11 games into my first season(Beginner's Beer league) and I have 4 points...and those points all came in the last three games.

Last night's game was great, a goal(beauty of a redirect, if I do say so myself and a "meh" assist. I am simply noticing how my confidence is building over the course of this season and it's really allowing my play to become better. Along with trying to get out another morning during the week to get to "stick time".

There's been a ton of info on this board that has helped me out, and everyone here is pretty damn friendly.

polysaturate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Triple Minor
Optimus Reim

Anybody have any info on the best way for a beginner to join a rec league in Toronto..im quite new to the city and dont know that many people playing hockey.

Triple Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
DJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Minor View Post
Anybody have any info on the best way for a beginner to join a rec league in Toronto..im quite new to the city and dont know that many people playing hockey.
Look for True North hockey beginner league. Check out Friday Night Hockey (Mike Leinwand) or Adult hockey club.

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:13 PM
stamkosisboss

Hey guys, im not new to hockey at all but I have a very good friend who is and I thought I would share his story.

Last year over the winter break I would go down the the frozen pond near his house to play hockey, he had skates so he would tag along while the rest of us had some scrimmages. After a couple times of doing this he asked me to teach him how to play so that he could join in the games with the guys.
So over the next couple of weeks we would go out together and practice for hours down on the pond and he really fell in love with the game. Eventually he started coming out to a three on three skate I go to with my dad, there is a pretty big range of skill levels there so we would put the higher levels against the higher levels and the newer skaters and older guys against each other.
Now its about a year later and I came home from university, my friend wanted to go skating so we went down the the local rink and skated around for a few hours, he told me how he has been skating everyday since the rink opened (its outdoors) and he wanted to go to three on three with me again.
He played awesome, no goals but he was skating his butt off, winning puck battles and after every shift he would come off the ice and tell me exactly what he did that shift and pointed out were he was trying to improve.
It put a really big smile on my face for him to get so into hockey and from the other stories here its just so nice to see people falling in love with the game and really having fun learning it. Have a great days everyone.

stamkosisboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:25 PM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

This is my first season playing in the beer league (hadn't even skated before April this year). My team just won the championship game tonight, and I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and net what ended up being the game-winner (in a 4-2 victory).

I can't wait to play next season!

B2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:10 PM
DiceDece
Rookie User

My Noob Story

I've always loved hockey, played a lot of street hockey when I was a kid, and roller bladed a lot...basically stopped playing when I was in high school and never got back into it.

Now I'm 26, and decided that I want to play ice hockey. Crazy, whatever. Last winter I picked up a pair of the cheapest skates I could find at Dick's (they were Easton Sys2, no idea about them). I taught myself how to skate in them, even though they hurt terribly and I'm pretty sure the blades were never even (and they were too big, as I now know). Nothing fancy, I could stop (or at least slow down) and skate forward.

Anyway, got a job opportunity, so I ended up moving from Pittsburgh to NC, and the place I moved to only has one ice rink within 70 miles or so, and it's hard to access. Needless to say it smothered part of my dream.

Recently I've been getting more and more determined to play, regardless of situation. I'm back in Pittsburgh visiting for the holidays, so I went out the day I came back (after a 10 hour drive, mind you) and tried on some skates. After a lot of reading I figured a better pair of skates was probably the first thing I should do. I ended up getting some Bauer Supreme one.4's, got them sharpened, threw on some waxed laces (read the horror stories about the bauer stock laces) and went out today for a public skate.

I had the entire place to myself, and I was so happy. In my Easton's I usually couldn't skate more than 10 minutes at a time because the pain (partly the skate and partly my conditioning, I imagine). Today I was able to go for about 20 minutes straight, took a 3 minute break, retied my skates, and went out for another 40 mins. I was even able to skate backwards after never trying it before, even going up and down the ice 2 length (and turning while backwards!) Pretty proud of myself The only thing that bothered me really was my mid foot on the outside, but I think that after I get my skates broken in and get used to using all those different muscles and such, it will go a lot better.

Anyway, right before I left, thought I would do something fun and just get some good speed and belly slide down the ice. Hit a divot right before I was going to go down and fell on my left hip, and it's been throbbing ever since.

Regardless, overall a great experience, a big step toward my dream, I guess. I'm going to go every day this week and next, hopefully build up some strength. I'd like to do a skate and shoot, but I feel like if I'm still having trouble skating, I might just get in people's way.

(PS: Ordered a pair of hockey pants today, should be here Wednesday, hopefully that will help avoid some of the falling down injuries that I'm sure I will get)

EDIT: Took back my one.4s, they weren't large enough, got vapor x4.0 in a half size larger and EE width...yeah they weren't big enough

Last edited by DiceDece: 12-18-2012 at 07:45 PM.
DiceDece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:41 AM
reecardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceDece View Post
Anyway, right before I left, thought I would do something fun and just get some good speed and belly slide down the ice. Hit a divot right before I was going to go down and fell on my left hip, and it's been throbbing ever since.
I wear impact shorts and knee pads when if pushing my skating skills at an open skate. Didn't always do this, but after about the 10th time I fell on the same spot on my right knee, I learned my lesson. If I am gonna fall at an open skate, it is usually right at the end when I am tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceDece View Post
I'd like to do a skate and shoot, but I feel like if I'm still having trouble skating, I might just get in people's way.
Forget the other people, go anyway. They are better skaters then you, and will avoid you. I have been run over a few times at Stick & Pucks by youngsters not watching where they are going, but as long as you are not skating full speed backwards, you have little chance of hitting a hockey player :-)

reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:43 AM
drivesrf

Looking for some advice/tips. I'm a beginner never played a real game with refs, time clock, etc, just open hockey. A friend and I just joined a team of guys whom we have not yet met that have been playing together for a while. Can anyone offer some tips for us??

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:05 PM
DiceDece
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecardo View Post
I wear impact shorts and knee pads when if pushing my skating skills at an open skate. Didn't always do this, but after about the 10th time I fell on the same spot on my right knee, I learned my lesson. If I am gonna fall at an open skate, it is usually right at the end when I am tired...

Yeah, I fell on the same spot on my left hip twice, I may have chipped something...it's been about a week and still pretty dark and painful. I just got my hockey pants in and I'm going to wear them now.

Forget the other people, go anyway. They are better skaters then you, and will avoid you. I have been run over a few times at Stick & Pucks by youngsters not watching where they are going, but as long as you are not skating full speed backwards, you have little chance of hitting a hockey player :-)
I got drug out to my first stick and skate on christmas eve by my buddy, ended up playing 2 on 2 with some 14 year old kids. It was a very humbling experience. My friend said I didn't embarrass him, which is good.

I actually just go back from another stick and skate today. There were a bunch of people there. We ended up getting a 4 on 4 game with a goalie. I didn't try to do much, just spent a lot of my time making sure I didn't fall down, working on transitions. As the game went on I got a little more ballsy, dashing for pucks down at the boards, playing better defense, actually stopped a few rushes

toward the end I took two pucks though, one to the side of my knee and another to the shin. Split my skin open and got a few nice gooseggs, but I guess that's how it goes. I didn't realize there were going to be that many kids there (15 year olds or so), they weren't really paying attention on controlling their shots because their friends were all padded out, but me and a few others weren't. I plan to go tomorrow, but I also plan to wear my shinguards and pants.

DiceDece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Oil and Avs

vCash: 958
Spent alot of time lurking the many threads of this website. Found myself really missing hockey and the banter and discussion on this website is something Ive really enjoyed. Ive grown up lucky enough to have season tickets to the Oilers and love them with all my heart. For alot of years my playoff team was the Avalanche but Ive ended up cheering for two basement dwellers. Really looking forward to the new start on this website along with (finally) the start of the season!

Oil and Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:09 PM
DougKnowsBest

pleased to report a year in a half after starting.. i helped my team win a championship in a d league. i scored 3 goals in 2 playoff games... game winners in both games

thanks everyone for the help last year when i started out. all the advice was great and helped me get my equipment and mind headed in the right direction

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:29 AM
redbranch

minor venting ahead:

Whenever I go to any beginner, or learning hockey environment, there are always beer leaguers there. Which doesn't bother me at all, I get that for some, the schedule of the instructional stuff just works better for them. What does drive me nuts, is a small percentage of them, don't seem to understand that for some reason, beginners come to instructional leagues, and they are schocked, SCHOCKED, that they aren't already polished players and know the ins and outs of the game already.

I got chided last night by a guy, and my jaw must have hung open.
"You know, we were working hard out there, and you just let the pass I made to you go" The pass in question was apparently to me while on the point, and never got within 15 feet of me. It ended right on the tape of the other team at the hash marks, and this guy was angry with me for backing up to avoid it being a 3 on 0.

I make plenty of mistakes, but that's what an instructional league is for. I may not be good, but I do hustle, and unlike his alleged pass, mine end up on the tape It's annoying how this guys stupid comment stuck with me the rest of the night. Anybody else run into this, and how did they handle it?

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
minor venting ahead:

Whenever I go to any beginner, or learning hockey environment, there are always beer leaguers there. Which doesn't bother me at all, I get that for some, the schedule of the instructional stuff just works better for them. What does drive me nuts, is a small percentage of them, don't seem to understand that for some reason, beginners come to instructional leagues, and they are schocked, SCHOCKED, that they aren't already polished players and know the ins and outs of the game already.

"You know, we were working hard out there, and you just let the pass I made to you go" The pass in question was apparently to me while on the point, and never got within 15 feet of me. It ended right on the tape of the other team at the hash marks, and this guy was angry with me for backing up to avoid it being a 3 on 0.

I make plenty of mistakes, but that's what an instructional league is for. I may not be good, but I do hustle, and unlike his alleged pass, mine end up on the tape It's annoying how this guys stupid comment stuck with me the rest of the night. Anybody else run into this, and how did they handle it?
Ignored them.

I'm not very confrontational though. But I suppose that's saved me quite a lot of trouble.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
minor venting ahead:

Jerks are everywhere. Blank them.

You make a good point about the comment sticking with you, though. Confidence is such a big thing in hockey and if I make a bad/stupid play, it really sticks with me and affects my play afterwards. Definitely something to work on.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Breakout passes become easier the more you play really. Your decisions are made faster with more experience, and as you get to the puck quicker you'll have more time to make breakout passes.

Something you want to practice is being able to flip the puck up in the air high enough that opposition can't just grab them down, as well as a good saucer pass.

Boards are great too if you can ricochet the puck to your teammates.
Thanks for this. I tried to slow myself down and not rush my passes, and it has made a huge difference. The past month has been night and day different. I have a much easier time making decisions and my passes are a lot more crisp and accurate.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:25 AM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Jerks are everywhere. Blank them.

You make a good point about the comment sticking with you, though. Confidence is such a big thing in hockey and if I make a bad/stupid play, it really sticks with me and affects my play afterwards. Definitely something to work on.
I'm trying to keep things very, very simple as I learn to play defense, and add things as I improve. At this point it's just don't let anyone get behind me with the puck, nobody in the crease left alone, and make good passes. The rest will come, people just need to be patient with beginners

Old
01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Hiasdamoon

Hey guys, I play at 3 different arenas, a beginner league and also 2 adult learn to play clinics....the issue I am having is the difference in quality of ice....

I weight 250 so I am usually on a 5/8 sharpening, and thats good at 1 place...but the other 1 I cant get an edge. and the 3rd it just depends on the day lol

I currently have a 1/2 sharpening as i'd rather have an edge everywhere but I am getting worn down with the excess movement...Im already working on cardio and losing some weight, just curious what you guys think I should do for the skate issues Im having here...

thanks

Hiasdamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:57 PM
flyers10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiasdamoon View Post
Hey guys, I play at 3 different arenas, a beginner league and also 2 adult learn to play clinics....the issue I am having is the difference in quality of ice....

I weight 250 so I am usually on a 5/8 sharpening, and thats good at 1 place...but the other 1 I cant get an edge. and the 3rd it just depends on the day lol

I currently have a 1/2 sharpening as i'd rather have an edge everywhere but I am getting worn down with the excess movement...Im already working on cardio and losing some weight, just curious what you guys think I should do for the skate issues Im having here...

thanks
Don't use the 1/2 as a crutch. Common habit as a beginner. Stay at 5/8 and if anything reduce the time between sharpenings depending on how many hours a week you are skating. For example, I weigh 185 and use 5/8 on rinks that are rock hard and others that seem like it is 100 degrees out. Keep working on your edge work and you may eventually think that 5/8 has too much bite for you.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
minor venting ahead:

Ask them how much their D league team pays them.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:44 AM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Ask them how much their D league team pays them.
If I wasn't the new guy in what seems to be a fairly tight knit group, I would definitely say that. I'll wait a while before instigating though

Old
01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Jordan23

Does anyone here play in Kalamazoo, MI? Particularly adult hockey league at Wings Stadium?

Jordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:54 PM
ganave

Checking back in with HF. I've been mostly on goalie boards...

Tomorrow night I step into the pipes for a game that counts, with a team that I haven't met anyone on yet. I'm in through with them through tomorrow through May. I have nothing to give except blood, toil, tears and sweat.

Equipment is dialed in, except for my suspenders... You know, I never understood why goalies were crazy about their gear until I became one. Suspenders... yeah.... they get in the way sorta.... but they hold my pants up...

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote