HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

AHL Scrappers

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Sniper Cele

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Jayson Megna rarely fights. He only has two fighting majors in his career.
That's cool, but nobody ever even suggested that he were a fighter. I was merely stating that the Penguins organization went out of their way to bring in MacIntyre when they are plenty of other bottom six guys (Payerl, Megna, Gibbons, Sill, Uher, Farnham) to go around, even now with a few out injured.

I understand why a team like Oklahoma City might bring in a tough guy to make sure nobody is taking liberties with their big guns like RNH, Hall and Eberle, but I still don't think it was necessary for us.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
In case you haven't watched ahl hockey over the passed few seasons, heavyweight aren't a dyind breed and the majority of club have one. And its not 190 lbs Farnham who started to fight this year that will police and protect your team.
You don't necessarily need a 6'6", 240lb goon to police a game and help protect your team. For instance, Clackson (goon) goes after Morrow (top prospect). In response, Farnham (goon) goes after Taffe (top scorer) on the next shift. That sends a message. Steve MacIntyre (goon) fighting Clackson (goon) four days later is meaningless and proves nothing.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I love Farnham, but I think more needed to be done. I don't know if the rest of the Bears cared, but I'm sure Clackson wasn't thrilled about getting pounded on like that.
I'm just not sure what gives you that idea considering that's his job. To fight and to occasionally get beat on. The only thing I'm sure of that he wasn't thrilled about was the five or so punches he took while defenseless on the ground. That goes against the fighting "code" and is never acceptable. Clackson fought Morrow, he didn't two-hand him in the face.

Quote:
Considering he's the one who went after Morrow, it makes sense that some of the consequence would fall on him. This isn't like two enforcers fighting off of a face off for a hit neither of them were involved in.
I see what you're saying, I do, I just disagree. The situation should have been over when Farnham was sent out the very next shift of the Clackson/Morrow fight to go after Taffe. That says "if you go after our top prospect, we'll go after your top scorer".

See how that works?

Quote:
Farnham isn't a goon though, he's a pest. Coming from college hockey, he's pretty green in terms of fighting. Him going after Taffe was nice, but it was just a wrestling match.
It's not about who threw more punches or who went down first in the fight. It's about sending a message and getting your point across and that's exactly what Farnham did.
Quote:
Like I said, I love the guy, love the way he plays, but I don't mind having that nuclear option in MacIntyre around for instances like this. The pure goon is probably done in the NHL, but the AHL is still a different world in a lot of ways and a lot of stuff happens that needs to be dealt with.
I don't know, I just feel like the same thing can be done in a different manner. I realize Farnham is just a pest and not an actual heavyweight, however I just don't think it's necessary for every team to have one and I don't think this Pens team needs a guy like MacIntyre.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:04 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
You don't necessarily need a 6'6", 240lb goon to police a game and help protect your team. For instance, Clackson (goon) goes after Morrow (top prospect). In response, Farnham (goon) goes after Taffe (top scorer) on the next shift. That sends a message. Steve MacIntyre (goon) fighting Clackson (goon) four days later is meaningless and proves nothing.
the problem is that Farnham is not a goon and he suck at fighting. With him in the line up, you will probably need MacIntyre more than ever. Yes, you don't need a 6'6'' goon to protect your player but you need a guy that know how to fight and not a middleweight punching bag that will start **** and piss off the other team.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:31 PM
MonsterSurge

Are you seriously saying that Bobby Farnham sent a message by fighting Taffe? That's like saying Craig Adams makes Brian McGrattan shake in his skates.

Ask the Springfield Falcons their opinion of Steve MacIntyre.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:42 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Are you seriously saying that Bobby Farnham sent a message by fighting Taffe? That's like saying Craig Adams makes Brian McGrattan shake in his skates.

lol, 100% agree with you my friend.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
Are you seriously saying that Bobby Farnham sent a message by fighting Taffe?
Uhh, yes? What kind of message is sent when one goon beats the piss of a guy who is supposed to get the piss beat out of him? That's his job and what he's there to do. Jeff Taffe, on the other hand, is their to lead their team and be a productive point producer.

Going after Taffe--not necessarily pounding him--sends a message. It'd be kind of hard to send any type of message when the Bears and Clackson himself are all expecting MacIntyre to come after him. Do you think anybody from the Bears organization expected and/or appreciated Farnham going after Taffe?

Quote:
That's like saying Craig Adams makes Brian McGrattan shake in his skates
OK. Whatever this is supposed to mean? If McGrattan fought James Neal I would much rather see Adams respond by going after David Legwand. McGrattan will do what he does no matter what, but going after their star will make it much less likely that McGrattan ever goes after James Neal again.

Quote:
Probably about the same as mine, which would be that MacIntyre is a disgrace and in no way needed in this organization.

I accept that the goon might still be a valued commodity in the AHL, however that doesn't make what MacIntyre did to Clackson--or Springfield for that matter--acceptable. MacIntyre plays bush league hockey and even I am surprised that the Pens tolerate this, especially after what that piece of **** Trevor Gillies did with the Islanders just over a season ago.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:07 PM
MonsterSurge

I don't even want to respond to that, but I feel that I need to respond to that. Would you like to read a little story?

Nailers vs Jackals last year:

6'8 Jordan Lane had been running around and throwing cheap shots all night. Adam Ross steps up, fights Lane, and Lane does nothing for the rest of the game.

MacIntyre should have just jumped their goalie and dove in their bench. That's sending a message. Bobby Farham throwing muffins at Jeff Taffe isn't sending a message.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:09 PM
bud12

MacIntyre did what is paid for and Gillies to. If you start **** again their team, you have to accept they will come for you....Hockey as always being like this and I hope it never change. We know that you don't like Big Mac but saying that Farnham can replace him is just stupid and not true.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
I'm just not sure what gives you that idea considering that's his job. To fight and to occasionally get beat on. The only thing I'm sure of that he wasn't thrilled about was the five or so punches he took while defenseless on the ground. That goes against the fighting "code" and is never acceptable. Clackson fought Morrow, he didn't two-hand him in the face.

I see what you're saying, I do, I just disagree. The situation should have been over when Farnham was sent out the very next shift of the Clackson/Morrow fight to go after Taffe. That says "if you go after our top prospect, we'll go after your top scorer".

See how that works?

It's not about who threw more punches or who went down first in the fight. It's about sending a message and getting your point across and that's exactly what Farnham did.

I don't know, I just feel like the same thing can be done in a different manner. I realize Farnham is just a pest and not an actual heavyweight, however I just don't think it's necessary for every team to have one and I don't think this Pens team needs a guy like MacIntyre.

I know Clackson is a fighter, but he's giving up a ton of height and weight with MacIntyre, so getting hammered like that is somewhat out of the ordinary for him. He's more of a light heavy in the mold of Arron Asham. It's also worth noting that Morrow is the second rookie on the team he went after this year, he fought Payerl earlier this year too.

So when you have an experienced fighter out there calling on rookies, someone has to let him know that it's ok.

Like I said, NHL one dimensional goons are likely done for, but the AHL still has a bit of that wild west type mentality where things can escalate quickly. The last game continued to get out of hand even after Farnham chased down Taffe.

Ideally you'd like to see Sill, Uher and Farnham anchoring the 4th line with Veilleux moving up the line up as he shakes off the rust. But with so many injuries so far (Veilleux, Sill, Megna, Payerl, Manderson, etc.) it's pretty much inevitable that Mac is going to see some games. If the opening is on the 4th line, I'd rather see the Pens' young guys getting better minutes in the ECHL.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:21 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

I'm hoping Steve Oleksy gets beaten badly later on this year. He's a major spotpicker.

My favorite fights that involve Steve Oleksy:

Old
11-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I'm hoping Steve Oleksy gets beaten badly later on this year. He's a major spotpicker.

My favorite fights that involve Steve Oleksy:

Yeah, Oleksy fought Uher, Ferriero and Manderson this year. So they've made a habit of going with young guys and non fighters.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:33 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Yeah, Oleksy fought Uher, Ferriero and Manderson this year. So they've made a habit of going with young guys and non fighters.
He also fought Casey Cizikas, the guy is a coward.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
I don't even want to respond to that, but I feel that I need to respond to that. Would you like to read a little story?

Nailers vs Jackals last year:

6'8 Jordan Lane had been running around and throwing cheap shots all night. Adam Ross steps up, fights Lane, and Lane does nothing for the rest of the game.

MacIntyre should have just jumped their goalie and dove in their bench. That's sending a message. Bobby Farham throwing muffins at Jeff Taffe isn't sending a message.
So instead of responding to anything I said you ignore it all and post this?

Cool. Mac is the man, gotcha. Maybe next time he can bring a machine gun onto the ice.

THAT"LL TEACH 'EM!!!

Old
11-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
MacIntyre did what is paid for and Gillies to. If you start **** again their team, you have to accept they will come for you....Hockey as always being like this and I hope it never change. We know that you don't like Big Mac but saying that Farnham can replace him is just stupid and not true.
I'm not sure why I'm even responding to your pot-stiring but I never said Farnham could replace MacIntyre. I simply suggested that an enforcer who does nothing else isn't necessary and that there are other ways to police a hockey game as well as protect your teammates.

Read. Then think about what you read. Then reply.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:10 AM
bud12

Quote:
In case you haven't watched much hockey over the passed few seasons, the 'goons' who get four shifts per game and bring nothing outside of their fighting are a dying breed.

Then there are guys like Bobby Farnham, who not only can skate a regular shift and play the game of hockey, but can police the ice as well. So Clackson goes after Morrow, **** happens. Instead of two goons (Mac/Clackson) going at it, Farnham chased Taffe across the ice minutes later and forced him to drop the gloves and fight.

One of their fighters goes after a top prospect so one of ours goes after their top player. Do you think Taffe enjoyed having to fight like that? No. That sends a message. Steve ****ing MacIntyre pucnhing a helpless guy in the head while on the ice is embarassing and in the end solves nothing.
ok!!

Old
11-25-2012, 12:22 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
So instead of responding to anything I said you ignore it all and post this?

Cool. Mac is the man, gotcha. Maybe next time he can bring a machine gun onto the ice.

THAT"LL TEACH 'EM!!!
I ignored you, because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I hope we have all fighters on the Penguins like we did two years ago. Rupp, Godard, Engelland, and Asham. That was great!!!!!!

Old
11-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
I ignored you, because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Well that's your opinion and surely you're entitled to at least that much so I'll let you enjoy that.

If you'd like, though, you could always explain how I have no idea what I'm talking about. I simply believe MacIntyre is a waste of a paycheck, roster spot and a hockey player. Also, I never said that Bobby Farnham was a heavyweight, just that you don't always need an enforcer to dress once every four games to simply run around like some idiot trying to hurt everybody.

Yeah, that's some great hockey right there!

Quote:
I hope we have all fighters on the Penguins like we did two years ago. Rupp, Godard, Engelland, and Asham. That was great!!!!!!
Annnnnd this just may prove that you sir are the one who has no idea what you're talking about. However I won't ignore it because that'd be too easy. You referred to the 2010-2011 Pittsburgh Penguins as if they were a group of assasins rather than hockey players, but that just wasn't the case.

Rupp and Engelland both played regularly throughout the season, and same with Asham when he wasn't injured. The difference between these three and the other player you mentioned--Godard--is that they could play hockey when a full ice brawl wasn't needed and weren't even a liability doing so.

You don't seem to understand the difference between an enforcer/goon who can't do anything except fight (Godard/MacIntyre) and guys who are able to play the game and maybe fight when it's necessary, but still within the code (Farnham/Asham/Engelland).

Old
11-25-2012, 02:15 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Well that's your opinion and surely you're entitled to at least that much so I'll let you enjoy that.

If you'd like, though, you could always explain how I have no idea what I'm talking about. I simply believe MacIntyre is a waste of a paycheck, roster spot and a hockey player. Also, I never said that Bobby Farnham was a heavyweight, just that you don't always need an enforcer to dress once every four games to simply run around like some idiot trying to hurt everybody.

Yeah, that's some great hockey right there!

Annnnnd this just may prove that you sir are the one who has no idea what you're talking about. However I won't ignore it because that'd be too easy. You referred to the 2010-2011 Pittsburgh Penguins as if they were a group of assasins rather than hockey players, but that just wasn't the case.

Rupp and Engelland both played regularly throughout the season, and same with Asham when he wasn't injured. The difference between these three and the other player you mentioned--Godard--is that they could play hockey when a full ice brawl wasn't needed and weren't even a liability doing so.

You don't seem to understand the difference between an enforcer/goon who can't do anything except fight (Godard/MacIntyre) and guys who are able to play the game and maybe fight when it's necessary, but still within the code (Farnham/Asham/Engelland).
{MOD EDIT} We understand that you hate Steve MacIntyre but you don't have to start a long argument.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
MonsterSurge

I don't feel like responding to your post, but since when is Bobby Farnham in the same class as Asham and Engelland? Oh, and Godard wasn't that bad of a player and he was a GREAT team guy. He left the bench to defend Brent Johnson. Now, get out of the hockey fight section...You're clearly just trolling.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:01 PM
bud12

Bobby Farnham is THE MAN!!!!!!!!no need of Mac when Bobby is there.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Let's move along, NOW!

11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
newfy

Why dont we get a top 10 list going of AHL heavyweights.

Bordeleau and Mac are the clear number 1 and 2 I would say.

After that who do we have? Guys like Bollig, Selleck, Gazdic, Hagel, Bagnall, and Desbiens

Thats off the top of my head I'm probably forgetting some obvious ones

Old
11-26-2012, 06:52 PM
I Am Beat You

Selleck, Hagel and Bagnall aren't heavyweights, and Desbiens is more of a fringe HW imo. That said, a guy like Brett Gallant is more of a MW/LHW but he's a hell of a fighter and could probably crack the list if we're not limiting it to true heavyweights.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:44 PM
MonsterSurge

Bollig, Peluso, and Rechlicz come in next. Justin Johnson? Josh Caron?

Closed Thread