HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Nazem Kadri vs Jakob Silfverberg

View Poll Results: Who is the better prospect?
kadri 72 31.72%
Silfverberg 155 68.28%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 06:53 PM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Silfverberg. He doesn't have the AHL experience that Kadri has, when he does, he'll outproduce him easily and his defensive game is miles better.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
Both are overrated IMO.
I'm unsure who to pick
I wouldn't say they're both overrated (in fact the general opinion of Kadri is very, very low by now), you just hear a lot about them because of the large, vocal fanbases. I'm not really in love with either. Had to choose one, it's easily Silfverberg for me. Kadri's ego has always been a turn off for me.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
Both are overrated IMO.
I'm unsure who to pick
How is a guy who just won the SEL MVP for both the regular season and the playoffs overrated?

Old
11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
LOL, this is Silfverberg and IT'S NOT CLOSE. Lmao, I am extremely confident Silfverberg will be way better than Kadri. How do you guys not know the person who won the MVP in both the regular season in the SEL and the playoffs. Youngest to win MVP since Forsberg and breaking record for most goals in playoffs all-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post
Kadri by a hair

both are still big, big question marks to make an impact on the NHL
Lmao, no they are not. Silfverberg is one of the most NHL ready prospects out there. He is as polished as they come, excellent in both ends of the ice with arguably the best wrister not in the NHL. Bryan Murray said that last year(Before his dominant SEL year) he was guaranteed a spot in the 3rd line if he stayed.

Do you guys know who Silfverberg is?

Old
11-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
So let me get this straight. People say Schults is better than Gardiner because Schults has way more points but than people on here say Silfverberg is better than Kadri when Kadri has way more points than him... If your a leafs player, get ready to be hated on for no reason... thats HF for you..
Schultz has out scored Gardiner every season they've played at the same level (2009-10, 2010-11, 2012-13). This is a much smaller sample and one player has 90 extra games experience at this level, while the other has scored above a PPG in a pro league. Kadri has never done that.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
LOL, this is Silfverberg and IT'S NOT CLOSE. Lmao, I am extremely confident Silfverberg will be way better than Kadri. How do you guys not know the person who won the MVP in both the regular season in the SEL and the playoffs. Youngest to win MVP since Forsberg and breaking record for most goals in playoffs all-time.

The european leagues are different than North America. How well did E. Kane do in Russia?

Lmao, no they are not. Silfverberg is one of the most NHL ready prospects out there. He is as polished as they come, excellent in both ends of the ice with arguably the best wrister not in the NHL. Bryan Murray said that last year(Before his dominant SEL year) he was guaranteed a spot in the 3rd line if he stayed.

The european leagues are different than North America. How well did E. Kane do in Russia? Nothing is absolute.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

It's nice to rooting for your prospect team but it's better to keep things in perspective. As for the Guldhjalmen, yea it's great that he won it but not necessarily does it mean he will adjust to the NHL standards.
2012 - Jakob Silfverberg, Brynäs IF
2011 - Magnus Johansson, Linköpings HC
2010 - Mats Zuccarello Aasen, Modo Hockey
2009 - Johan Davidsson, HV71
2008 - Tony Mårtensson, Linköpings HC
2007 - Fredrik Bremberg, Djurgårdens IF
2006 - Andreas Karlsson, HV71
2005 - Henrik Lundqvist, Frölunda HC
2004 - Magnus Kahnberg, Västra Frölunda HC
2003 - Niklas Andersson, Västra Frölunda HC
2002 - Ulf Söderström, Färjestads BK
2001 - Kristian Huselius, Västra Frölunda HC
2000 - Rikard Franzén, AIK

Those are the MVP for the last 10 years or so, only 3 has touched the NHL level, while one has proven to be consistent. That's none other than Lundqvist, Zuccarello is the other and no he wasn't as consistent. Huselius is the only one who has shown he can progressively increase his skill level however also sort of showed his unlucky injuries. Everyone else in that list...have done nothing. Only time will tell if he can adjust to it, I am rooting for the guy as I like him.

Also for the best wrister not in the NHL comment....yea no. I can name three easily that'll beat him out on the spot. Off the top of my head, Hall in the AHL atm, Tarasenko, and Yakupov in the KHL.

11-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Fogelhund

I'm not really going to give much weight to SEL accomplishments, or AHL accomplishments. Until they prove they can do something in the NHL, it doesn't mean much.

Leafs had a former SEL Captain, top ten in SEL scoring, lead his team to League championship. He managed 9 points in 60 games before he was sent back to the SEL. Interesting that the league and playoffs MVP that year was one Jonas Gustavsson, set SEL records.. guess he was destined to be the next NHL superstar too.

Neither have proven a thing.

Leafs fan says, Kadri.
Ottawa fans says, Silfverberg.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

I'd take Silfverberg, not because he's impressive or a Sens prospect, but because Kadri is gutless out on the ice. Kadri doesn't have the character to make it in the NHL.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I see them as pretty similar at this point with Kadri having more upside and being younger so I'd say Kadri.
Silfverburg: Born Oct 12 1990

Kadri: Born Oct 6 1990

Old
11-26-2012, 08:03 PM
golffuul

After Kadri's first camp, I would have said Kadri. But 2-3 years of Ron Wilson driving the bus over him have made him a mentally scarred player and, ultimately, damaged goods. He could see a career resurrection, but it won't be with Toronto.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
It's nice to rooting for your prospect team but it's better to keep things in perspective. As for the Guldhjalmen, yea it's great that he won it but not necessarily does it mean he will adjust to the NHL standards.
2012 - Jakob Silfverberg, Brynäs IF 21 years old
2011 - Magnus Johansson, Linköpings HC 37 years old
2010 - Mats Zuccarello Aasen, Modo Hockey 23 years old
2009 - Johan Davidsson, HV71 33 years old
2008 - Tony Mårtensson, Linköpings HC 28 years old
2007 - Fredrik Bremberg, Djurgårdens IF 34 years old
2006 - Andreas Karlsson, HV71 31 years old
2005 - Henrik Lundqvist, Frölunda HC 23 years old
2004 - Magnus Kahnberg, Västra Frölunda HC 24 years old
2003 - Niklas Andersson, Västra Frölunda HC 31 years old
2002 - Ulf Söderström, Färjestads BK 30 years old
2001 - Kristian Huselius, Västra Frölunda HC 22 years old
2000 - Rikard Franzén, AIK 36 years old

Those are the MVP for the last 10 years or so, only 3 has touched the NHL level, while one has proven to be consistent. That's none other than Lundqvist, Zuccarello is the other and no he wasn't as consistent. Huselius is the only one who has shown he can progressively increase his skill level however also sort of showed his unlucky injuries. Everyone else in that list...have done nothing. Only time will tell if he can adjust to it, I am rooting for the guy as I like him.

Also for the best wrister not in the NHL comment....yea no. I can name three easily that'll beat him out on the spot. Off the top of my head, Hall in the AHL atm, Tarasenko, and Yakupov in the KHL.
I added their approximate age when the won to add some perspective. It seems to me the guys who won MVP at a young age tend to show up in the NHL.

Also, of note, Zurccarello's issue was likely do to his size (or at least a contributing factor at 5'7), and as you mentioned, Huselius has been a victim of injuries (though still a solid career). So that leaves one MVP under 25 who was an NHL bust. I can't really speak to Kahnberg, as I know nothing that Hockey DB or Elite prospects didn't tell me about him, but my guess is he was never thought of as an elite NHL prospect.

The rest of the field is mostly guys over 30, and one 28 year old, so I'm not sure why you would list them to add perspective, other then to show that Silfverburg was among the youngest to ever reach that accomplishment (2nd actually).

Last edited by Micklebot: 11-26-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 08:06 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post

I thought Silverburg was an 89... regardless my point stands

Old
11-26-2012, 08:08 PM
TieClark

Quote:
I added their approximate age when the won to add some perspective. It seems to me the guys who won MVP at a young age tend to show up in the NHL.
Show up sure.. but I don't think Huselius or Zuccarello is who the poster had in mind when he says he's as polished as they come and has the best wrist shot outside of the NHL

Old
11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Definitely a good point! However there are players who are younger that haven't been in the SEL as long as those young players that have performed or shown greater potential IMO.
Such as current Duck prospect Frederik Andersen, and Marcus Johansson of the Washington Capitals.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Fogelhund

I thought Gustavsson won the MVP in 2008/09.. Wiki suggests as much as well.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:16 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
I'll take the one that isn't fat.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Definitely a good point! However there are players who are younger that haven't been in the SEL as long as those young players that have performed or shown greater potential IMO.
Such as current Duck prospect Frederik Andersen, and Marcus Johansson of the Washington Capitals.
This is true, most high end prospects make the step to NA and don't get the chance to win the SEL MVP at that age (I think Lunqvist won it the lockout year). Sens management tried to convince Silfverburg to come over that year but he chose to stay in the Sel.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I thought Gustavsson won the MVP in 2008/09.. Wiki suggests as much as well.
Top goalie and Playoff MVP I think that list was for the season.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:38 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

I like both these prospects a lot and thin they can both be incredibly underrated at times.

I'd say they will both pan out as 2nd liners, but Kadri will consistently out-produce Silfverberg, but that Silf will be a more responsible player in the defensive zone who will be able to get significant PK time.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
I'd take Silfverberg, not because he's impressive or a Sens prospect, but because Kadri is gutless out on the ice. Kadri doesn't have the character to make it in the NHL.
Actually that's exactly opposite, Kadri is plenty gutful. He plays with an edge and isn't afraid to drop mits either. In-fact he plays with a ton of intensity almost often and if you have watched him, one of the impressive things you'll notice about him is his ability to play well along the boards and around the net with the puck on his stick, he is very very creative in that regard and his cycle game is awesome. The problem with Kadri is that he can sometimes get too fancy and make bad decisions, and also his defensive awareness has improved quite a bit.

I would take Kadri here, Leafs need a boom/bust type like Kadri in their system.

Though, Silfverberg is awesome.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:40 PM
topchowda

Quote:

hes 6 days behind on development time

Old
11-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
I'll take the one that isn't fat.
This thread isn't about Bettman

Old
11-26-2012, 10:33 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
How is a guy who just won the SEL MVP for both the regular season and the playoffs overrated?
I was hoping that Rundblad would be a better player by now after he lit up the SEL. Not saying that either of those YOUNG players won't turn out to be top line/top pairing yet. But I've been disapointed with Rundblad so far. That's bled onto my opinion of Silfverberg.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Et le But

Silfverberg.

Similar offensive upside, more complete game. From what I've seen, Silfverberg can do a bit of everything; Kadri is a skilled playmaker with great hands and little else.

Both are likely second liners.

Closed Thread