Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Premier League US TV rights likely headed to NBCUniversal

Old
10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I don't think he shows enough emotion for what a great moment that was.
In my opinion, Darke's emotion is falsely ramped up in order to try to sell the game to an American audience.

Anyway, to me, emotion isnt the issue with Darke. It's that despite his lack of knowledge for the game, he is constantly inserting his often wrong opinion into the commentary. I wouldn't mind if the man had a semblance of a clue.

HeHateMeFrisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:48 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
So with all of this does anybody know what's happening to GOLTV and the Bundesliga rights?
They have Bundesliga rights for this season only, I assume Fox Soccer will pick up the Bundesliga so they can show something of value during weekends.

GolTV will probably disappear or only be available on some Spanish language sports package. After they lose the Bundesliga the only non-Latino (sorry, don't know how else to describe it) soccer rights they have are UEFA youth tournaments which only die-hards watch anyway. I think they have the rights to the 2013 U21 Championships, if they survive that long...

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/st...75577751859200
Quote:
Terrific piece by @thegoalkeeper on NBC's thinking when it comes to future EPL coverage: *******/U2r37o

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Late to this thread and excited as this will (a) get rid of those fox yahoos and (b) grant more exposure to free to air viewers like myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
That's hilarious, because they would have absolutely no impact on scheduling whatsoever. All they could do is run a game tape-delayed.
I present you with the 2008 Olympic swimming. If NBC decides that a Sunday afternoon game (U.S. time) is what they want to pay for, expect to see late kick offs in the EPL sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMeFrisbee View Post

However, I am a little worried that they will focus on ManU, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc..I would hope that other teams will be shown as much as they are on FSC. Still though, considering comcast doesnt have FSC in HD in my area that I know of, having NBC and NBCSN in HD will be awesome.
This is valid, their hockey coverage is the perfect example of this. Weekend choices almost always included Philly, the rangers, the penguins, red wings, etc. never watched an NBC game featuring the isles, bluejackets, panthers, etc. same to a lesser extent on Mondays and Tuesdays with nbcsn I should add.......

Expect to see a whole lot of the big teams and not much stoke/QPR on free to air coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Hire Foudy away from ESPN. She's a better commentator than just about any guy I can think of in the US.
Surely you forgot a ?

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
The NBC's deal with the FA is a wart on the ass of what the domestic TV deal is, they will have no impact on scheduling. The US rights were 250m over three years, the domestic rights are nearly 5 billion US dollars over three years.

Considering NBC pays so much for the Olympics (4.38b for the next 4 Olympics) the IOC is beholden to them, but this is really nothing.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 11-23-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I'm just now finding out that NBC Sports will also be carrying F1. Should be pretty interesting to watch this network now.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

I think if they decide its worth paying for, they would eventually get their way. Time will tell I guess.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:05 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalcyx View Post
Late to this thread and excited as this will (a) get rid of those fox yahoos
... until the 2018 World Cup.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:14 PM
StatesideSensFan

Quote:
I think if they decide its worth paying for, they would eventually get their way. Time will tell I guess.
as LITN explained to you though, the US deal is peanuts to the UK deal. unless bskyb wants changes, the FA won't listen.

StatesideSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:52 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Yeah...no chance in hell that NBC gets any say in schedule time changes

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I'm just now finding out that NBC Sports will also be carrying F1. Should be pretty interesting to watch this network now.
How would that work with EPL? Considering majority of the races and qualifying for me start around anywhere between 12am-8am depending on the location with EPL games being around 4am-11am.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatesideSensFan View Post
as LITN explained to you though, the US deal is peanuts to the UK deal. unless bskyb wants changes, the FA won't listen.
I understand that the deal is peanuts on the UK rights, for now. What I'm saying is that if NBC discovers that it might be in their interests to have games at a specific time, they will pay what is needed to make it happen. Not necessarily now, but at some point down the line. That's simply what they do.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I understand that the deal is peanuts on the UK rights, for now. What I'm saying is that if NBC discovers that it might be in their interests to have games at a specific time, they will pay what is needed to make it happen. Not necessarily now, but at some point down the line. That's simply what they do.
You can't move the starting times of European football games to please North American audiences, the games starting times are locked due to the spectators having to work next day. And it's not likely that NBC or any other US network will pay 5 billion for the EPL rights in the near or even distant future.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
But that's not what they have the ability to do in this case. I don't care what they've did for the Olympics or the NHL, there is no chance they get any say in game start times.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
They aren't going to make UK fans go to watch games at 1:00 AM. Just not going to happen, the game #39 idea couldn't get through, that wouldn't either.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:20 AM
premadonna

Ain't easy being the EPL; trying to please fans in the UK, North America and Asia.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Why don't they play night games on the weekends there? It's usually 3-4pm matches on Saturdays and Sundays. I've noticed that since 7am here is 3pm there. In Spain, they have 10pm matches (1pm Pacific, 4 Eastern).

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
HeHateMeFrisbee

Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
i seriously doubt they would even consider asking the EPL to change times. What I'm concerned about is them showing games on tape delay.

HeHateMeFrisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:21 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Why don't they play night games on the weekends there? It's usually 3-4pm matches on Saturdays and Sundays. I've noticed that since 7am here is 3pm there. In Spain, they have 10pm matches (1pm Pacific, 4 Eastern).
I think they just like the traditional day times. Spain and Italy play later to avoid some of the overlapping with them.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I think they just like the traditional day times. Spain and Italy play later to avoid some of the overlapping with them.
From what I've read, the fans in Spain aren't exactly happy with the late starting times either.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
But that's not what they have the ability to do in this case. I don't care what they've did for the Olympics or the NHL, there is no chance they get any say in game start times.
I know that they don't have the ability to do it NOW. My point is that I wouldn't be surprised by anything in the future. The rights cost NBC 300% more than the last fox deal. I think you guys are thinking that i mean theyre going to have night games next season or something - Im talking YEARS down the road. But if, YEARS down the road, NBC decides that they want to make a more significant investment to the point of requesting accommodations on some game times, it's a possibility in my opinion. Everyone has their price, it would be a matter of whether NBC would meet it. I think you guys are being a little naive to say that there is absolutely no way something like this could happen one day. No matter how unlikely, I for one would not be surprised.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Arlo White rewls. Look forward to his enthusiasm in EPL games. He's no Darkey but damn he's just as excited!

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I'd really like them to get Mustoe in to do color commentary. I really enjoy his calm demeanor as he explains the more intricate side of the sport.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:32 PM
KingLB

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/fox....unger-viewers/

FSC dead.

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Good. Horrible coverage of the sport, with horrible panels.

Anybody know who has the rights for the Bundesliga this next season? I've looked everywhere and come up with nothing.