HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|24-14-2-2|Colborne and Ashton stepping up?

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 10:12 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
One goal and five assists in sixteen games with the Marlies. Trade him while you can.
That would seem pointless.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:32 AM
kihei

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Not as pointless as he is most nights.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
He'll be fine. No need to worry about the boy.

11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Prospects take patience.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:49 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

1 goal in 16 AHL games is pathetic for any former 1st rounder, no matter which way you slice it. Like others have stated here, Joe is missing that extra gear. Come to think of it, he's stuck in 3rd

Old
11-26-2012, 11:51 AM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Ya, it's not like he's ever dominated in the AHL at any point

At least since his injury

Old
11-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
1 goal in 16 AHL games is pathetic for any former 1st rounder, no matter which way you slice it. Like others have stated here, Joe is missing that extra gear. Come to think of it, he's stuck in 3rd
J.T. Miller has 2, Zach Phillips has 1, and Quintin Howden has 3. Patience and more patience. Everyone has their own path, and there is more than enough time for this season to end. It was only a few days back where everyone was on Kadri's case, I'd think that people realize that one can't judge so quickly.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
One goal and five assists in sixteen games with the Marlies. Trade him while you can.
He was a PPG player prior to his injury last year. Shrewd time to trade him before we ever get a chance to see if he can fully recover from his injury.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:17 PM
leafers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
J.T. Miller has 2, Zach Phillips has 1, and Quintin Howden has 3. Patience and more patience. Everyone has their own path, and there is more than enough time for this season to end. It was only a few days back where everyone was on Kadri's case, I'd think that people realize that one can't judge so quickly.
Patience is important yes, however patience will not always pay dividends if the player lacks something that will limit him.
Even though he is a skilled player with good vision and playmaking abilites, he just doesn't seem to have IT.

He lacks that extra gear and intensity that will make him a constant threat. He goes in way too many slumps and occasionally shows flashes, but that's about it, flashes. I don't believe he will put it all together to be an impact player for us down the road.

I hope he proves me wrong and flourishes at one point, but I have a hard time seeing him do so.
If he goes on a hot streak and increases his value I hope BB pulls the trigger on the right deal for him (in a package trade).

Old
11-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Rinzler

It's easy to be discouraged with Colborne's stats thus far, but I really don't see him being a top 6 player any time soon anyway so it's a meh moment for me.

I'd like Colborne to become a 4th line Center for next year with the chance to bump to #3 if he does well. That's all I expect from him and for that he's on track.

I think he'll make the NHL, but definitely more as a role player.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Stephen

Quote:
While I do agree that patience is the best way with Colborne, I disagree with your use of guys like JT Miller, Quinten Howden and Zack Phillips as comparables because they are all at least two years younger and thus deserve more slack. Colborne should be finishing up his apprenticeship at this point, not trying to establish himself as a dependable AHLer.

At this point, it's just a case of lowered expectations for Jumbo Joe. He's really failed to keep up with a prospect like Jake Gardiner and if he ever makes it back on the NHL roster it will probably be as a Tim Brent type promotion as opposed to as a top prospect.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
He does not hold much value. Might as well just keep the guy and hope for the best.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:54 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Sounds like his transition to the Leafs will be seamless.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Frankie

Quote:
J.T. Miller has 2, Zach Phillips has 1, and Quintin Howden has 3. Patience and more patience.
those kids are 19 and 20 year old rookies. colborne is 22 and in his third ahl season. surely you can see the difference? if those kids have only 1 goal after 16 ahl games in their third ahl season, they too will be more suspect than prospect.

terrible, uneducated comparison you've made here.

Quote:
Everyone has their own path, and there is more than enough time for this season to end. It was only a few days back where everyone was on Kadri's case, I'd think that people realize that one can't judge so quickly.
everyone does have their own path. the season will end when it ends (whatever you mean by that).

kadri wasn't playing well and had very few points. why was it wrong to be on his case? we still should be on his case. he's inconsistent and seems to only try his hardest when he feels like it.

why is it wrong to judge these players? we've seen plenty of joe colborne to be able to make an assessment. maybe we'll be right, maybe we'll be wrong. but why can't he be judged yet? scouts do it all the time, don't they?

i think we need to understand that not every prospect is going to make it. being patient and keeping our opinions quiet is not the key to prospect development.

i really don't get this logic that says if fans stay quiet, players will develop into the nhlers we want them to be.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

yeah i dont see him making the NHL as a top 6'r

Old
11-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

yeah, you're not going to get squat for Colborne at this stage. best to just hang on and see what happens.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
thecatch22

Never been terribly high on Colborne but giving up on him after 16 games is pretty hasty.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Mowerman

Before his injury issues last year (which are reasonable to consider as a lingering influence as of right now) Colbs was lighting it up. You lot are like goldfish.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Fogelhund

Not sure what is going on with Colborne, but he certainly isn't playing like he was before the injury. Don't forget he had 10 goals and 19 points through 13 games last year in the AHL. He goes on a streak like that again, and suddenly he'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread. He certainly needs to start picking up his game though. Much like Kadri was the whipping boy earlier in the year, Colborne is now.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:43 PM
sgupca

one would assume he's still plugged by his wrist injury.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Tyke
Interested observer

It's hard to guage Joe now because of his injury, but I'm still waiting to be impressed. I'm all for letting him ride in the A for the foreseeable future. At worst it all ends up as a Kabs for Liles deal?

Old
11-26-2012, 09:07 PM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
It's hard to guage Joe now because of his injury, but I'm still waiting to be impressed. I'm all for letting him ride in the A for the foreseeable future. At worst it all ends up as a Kabs for Liles deal?
We got Biggs from that deal as well I believe.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Larcos_Unal

if he really is injured, why not sit him til he's healthy?
why risk further injury??

Old
11-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
if he really is injured, why not sit him til he's healthy?
why risk further injury??
I believe last season he played through the injury because he was told it wouldn't make the injury worse. Then we found out the injury was pretty bad and he probably shouldn't have played. I'm guessing it's the same thing now. They have told him if he plays the injury won't get worse so he wants to play.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:30 PM
WTFMAN99

He might need another year or 2, he needs to put on weight, but also he needs a shoot first player on his wing.

Closed Thread